5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gutting pre-cats bad for your car ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Gutting pre-cats bad for your car ??

I have posted earlier that i am going to change my engine due to internal issues and i have another motor that is sitting at a shop ready to be put in. It came with the manifolds and precats and was wondering if gutting them causes any issues with the cars performance or overall driveability. I know it may throw a CEL and ive read on the SIMs or spark plug things to fool the computer. I mentioned it to the mechanic and he didnt recomend doing it at all. I know several people have done it and wonder if they have had any "side effects"?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM

scroll down this thread a few lines/pages and you'll find "gutting pre-cats" and "disaster" in the same title
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
scroll down this thread a few lines/pages and you'll find "gutting pre-cats" and "disaster" in the same title
i am not sure which thread your talking about
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Toolie

gutted cat = FAIL or something like that. Why not buy an aftermarket y=pipe which deletes the cats? much safer.

My concern about gutting cats is they are both different sizes. So you have a 2.1/4" tube which suddenly opens up to about 4" (maybe more or less) and then about 6 inches farther along you go back to the 2.1/4" tube. This will cause turbulence, the exhaust gasses will flow much faster through the narrow pieces and slow down considerably at the wide gutted out piece. So you have 2 sides with different flow with huge areas which will have turbulent exhaust gas trying to speed on through. Not good for horsepower at all.

Assuming that a gas is flowing through a pipe of 2 inches at any speed you like. Suddenly it comes upon a chamber that is 2 to 3 times larger than the pipe it was flowing through. There will be a big drop in pressure, and a reduction of flow. Then the gas is forced back into the 2 inch pipe where suddenly it will be forced to flow at the original pressure and speed. But that area where the large chamber (gutted cat) will have much turbulence. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 07-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If putting in a new engine, how about these?;
http://tinyurl.com/l5o5o6

I was going to, until I got a look at the rear cylinder manifold bolts, chickened out and ordered Warpspeed...

Last edited by lifesabeachnj; 07-30-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
gutted cat = FAIL or something like that. Why not buy an aftermarket y=pipe which deletes the cats? much safer.

My concern about gutting cats is they are both different sizes. So you have a 2.1/4" tube which suddenly opens up to about 4" (maybe more or less) and then about 6 inches farther along you go back to the 2.1/4" tube. This will cause turbulence, the exhaust gasses will flow much faster through the narrow pieces and slow down considerably at the wide gutted out piece. So you have 2 sides with different flow with huge areas which will have turbulent exhaust gas trying to speed on through. Not good for horsepower at all.

Assuming that a gas is flowing through a pipe of 2 inches at any speed you like. Suddenly it comes upon a chamber that is 2 to 3 times larger than the pipe it was flowing through. There will be a big drop in pressure, and a reduction of flow. Then the gas is forced back into the 2 inch pipe where suddenly it will be forced to flow at the original pressure and speed. But that area where the large chamber (gutted cat) will have much turbulence. Hope that makes sense.
I have never thought of it that way.. Some peole who did it considered it sonewhat similar to open headers, considering no pre cats.. However your logic does also make sense.. Wouldn't it all depend on the amount of back pressure though? If the stock cats are restrictive Than allowing some opening area by guttin the cats would allow them a breather. I guess only dyno results would answer this question?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lifesabeachnj
If putting in a new engine, how about these?;
http://tinyurl.com/l5o5o6

I was going to, until I got a look at the rear cylinder manifold bolts, chickened out and ordered Warpspeed...
my car is an 02 but i get your idea about installing headers. I dont really feel like spending the extra money since its going for sale when the engine is put back in. That why i was thinking the gutting b/c its free but havning second thoughts now and will prob just leave them as is
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM

Buying a Y-pipe wont delete any cats in a 02-03... both cats are in the headers... i would still love to see someone gut the cat and dyno... or even gut the cat and add a warpspeed Y
Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Buying a Y-pipe wont delete any cats in a 02-03... both cats are in the headers... i would still love to see someone gut the cat and dyno... or even gut the cat and add a warpspeed Y
you are correct. headers will eliminate the precats all together. I would like to see a dyno as well
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 AM

most people that gut their pre-cats dont gut them for performance reasons, but to save their engines from consuming oil or consuming more oil than they already are.

i kinda though it was obvious that it wouldn't help peformance,the design is horrible as knight yyz stated. i got the obx headers and the only problem i have with them is the flex section(but all my mounts being solid it doesnt help that situation) and those were under 400 bucks,kinda a pita to install (being a 2 piece design) but well worth the money in the end. id say just get them and you wont regret it.

and put them on the new engine before installing the motor,it will save you so much a of a headache.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by wish2345
you are correct. headers will eliminate the precats all together. I would like to see a dyno as well
well the closest you will get to dyno numbers will be you trying it yourself and dyno yourself, nobody here with gutted cats wants to do it, so if u do gut ur cats, i guess you can swing by a local dyno shop and clear everybody's minds on here
Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 AM

well the closest you will get to dyno numbers will be you trying it yourself and dyno yourself, nobody here with gutted cats wants to do it, so if u do gut ur cats, i guess you can swing by a local dyno shop and clear everybody's minds on here
yeah i guess that is always an option. I think i am going to pass on that though. i am not really that worried about the performance gains of it as much as i am the overall driveability.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 AM

most ppl arent... but i know most ppl just have to be curious if it has some kind of gains... just afraid or ashamed if numbers were crappy.... if i knew how to gut a cat myself i would sure love to just get it over with, does it make at least 1hp or not??? i believe here in MD there was an altima with gutted cats that must have had some power gains due to track times... but idk if the same goes for maxima's
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Your cats hold a certain amount of pack pressure for the engine to run correctly. If you gut them, you lower the back pressure which may make the engine run bad. I would not do it either. It'll cost a fortune to get new ones to put it back to normal.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Toolie

I'd like to see someone buy 3.0 exhaust manifolds, plug the egr and put a 5th gen y-pipe on there. It would all fit.