5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ebay headers+link.. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Actually, many orgers have PLENTY from ebay and it's not crap. If you buy CRAP off ebay because you yourself are not mechanically inclined, Than it's your fault for buying the pos part. Not the company for selling it, (they did their part by selling CRAP to someone they knew would fall for it, therefore you're responsible for it) However with the price being as low as it is. I figure it's worth a shot once i also get the Apexi vafc-II to make sure I'm looking at the maximum power possible. People underestimated obx (EBAY BRAND) and they proved wrong. Everyone still had the same speculation about OBX considering they were crap because the price until someone finally bought them and received great numbers. I guess i'm just waiting now on some money to come through from my rims, After that I might pull the trigger on them, unless I run into a set of OBX 3.0 headers for around the same or slightly more.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
naw bro... i agree fully with u... when people hear ebay they automatically think crap (its just the thing to say) ebay is not an actuall store, its a place where small business can get free advertisement on there products whether its a name brand or a knock off... i'd like to start a thread saying im gonna buy some illumina's from ebay and ebay only and see what ppl would say i never understood the "you get what u pay for thing" E-sub is paying for some headers and thats what will be shipped to him, unless he gets a barof soap or suttn then we can use the sarcastic line
Agreed, you get what you use your mind for. If you're dumb and purchase a $2,000 dollar cat back knock off that's on you. If you believe you can get the vafc-II for $10.00 okay, that's common sense. But if you research and take time you'll be fine and save yourself a pretty penny. However for $200.00 I think I might just get an extra $100.00 and get the obx 3.0 headers. They'll bolt right up right? just plug up the egr? Since their Y-pipe is different then the 3.5. Which btw I hear is a serious pain to get to the oil drain plug with the 3.5 obx headers...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
um? lol
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 PM

OBX 3.5 headers bolt up on 3.0's just fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 PM

Agreed, you get what you use your mind for. If you're dumb and purchase a $2,000 dollar cat back knock off that's on you. If you believe you can get the vafc-II for $10.00 okay, that's common sense. But if you research and take time you'll be fine and save yourself a pretty penny. However for $200.00 I think I might just get an extra $100.00 and get the obx 3.0 headers. They'll bolt right up right? just plug up the egr? Since their Y-pipe is different then the 3.5. Which btw I hear is a serious pain to get to the oil drain plug with the 3.5 obx headers...
I have no problem getting to the oil drain plug on my 5.5 gen with OBX 3.5 headers.

I personally would stay away from the OBX 3.0 headers because it appears they don't have an equal length y-pipe.

The y-pipe loop doesn't go out as far as the Cattmans on the 3.5 headers, so it doesn't get in the way of the oil drain plug.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 08-21-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I have no problem getting to the oil drain plug on my 5.5 gen with OBX 3.5 headers.

I personally would stay away from the OBX 3.0 headers because it appears they don't have an equal length y-pipe.

The y-pipe loop doesn't go out as far as the Cattmans on the 3.5 headers, so it doesn't get in the way of the oil drain plug.
Hmm.. Have you ever heard of anyone dynoing with the 3.0 headers making less? Also are you tunned? If not what were your numbers?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
OBX 3.5 headers bolt up on 3.0's just fine.
So i'm assuming reverse order also works?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:52 AM

naw bro... i agree fully with u... when people hear ebay they automatically think crap (its just the thing to say) ebay is not an actuall store, its a place where small business can get free advertisement on there products whether its a name brand or a knock off...
Nothing is free on Ebay.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Whats up with this equal length Y-pipe BS, i think thats one of the stupidest thing i've heard about headers and one that i've never understood... E-sub, Nmexmax is using the 3.0 headers IIRC and his dyno is in his sig... 243whp (auto) so this equal length thing needs to be explained to me more
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Whats up with this equal length Y-pipe BS, i think thats one of the stupidest thing i've heard about headers and one that i've never understood... E-sub, Nmexmax is using the 3.0 headers IIRC and his dyno is in his sig... 243whp (auto) so this equal length thing needs to be explained to me more
Datdude20 is putting down 247fwhp untuned with the OBX3.5 headers. (This is on a 6 speed though)

I personally have never dynoed my car, but me and Datdude20 have similar mods.

I also have no idea why an equal length y-pipe is better, because I do not design headers.

That would be a good question to ask Cattman because all of his headers have an equal length y-pipe AFAIK.

I'm sure if you could make the same power without an equal length y-pipe, then he would design his headers that way to save money.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM

funny u mentioned datdude20 cause me and him are very close friends... was at his house playing PS3 couple days ago... he also will tell u that it makes no difference, so i guess its whatever brian says then thats what it is huh... its good to have equal length Y's but from a performance perspective does it really make that much a difference??? or does it even make any performance difference??? is the OBX for 3.5 an equal length Y??? like i said, talk is cheap, nmexmax has his dyno numbers out there and that means more than what brian would have to say
Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 AM

funny u mentioned datdude20 cause me and him are very close friends... was at his house playing PS3 couple days ago... he also will tell u that it makes no difference, so i guess its whatever brian says then thats what it is huh... its good to have equal length Y's but from a performance perspective does it really make that much a difference??? or does it even make any performance difference??? is the OBX for 3.5 an equal length Y??? like i said, talk is cheap, nmexmax has his dyno numbers out there and that means more than what brian would have to say
I would imagine that Brian has some knowledge of headers because he designs and produces them.

So if it makes no difference, why did Datdude20 buy the 3.5 headers versus the 3.0 headers that are $100 cheaper?

Yes, the OBX 3.5 headers have what appears to be an equal length y-pipe.

There is a picture of the OBX 3.5 headers with the equal y.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 08-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

shorty/long?

Can someone briefly explain shorty/long? re sound? Sorry I'm just learning...
Tks

Originally Posted by CMax03
All the headers I've installed and that exist to my knowledge for Maximas, have always been of the shorty header design. Cattman, OBX, Rocky mountains, Pacesetter,etc.!!! Can anyone show me a long tube header assembly made for our transverse mounted V6? If you thought shorty headers were hard to install.....Imagine trying to install a longtube header assembly on a Maxima or any other FWD transverse mounted V6!!! It would be a real PITA! I've never feed into that eqaul lenght header B.S. really effecting the sound quality as much as an exhaust that didn't have the proper resonator and muffler installed! You can never go to big on a resonator or muffler especially those of the straight flow thru design with perforated tubes!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mangi1
Tks
Here's a picture of short tube headers next to long tube headers. (For a rear wheel drive v8)

Here's a site that you should read. It explains the power advantages/disadvantages of long/short tube header systems.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...der/index.html
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mangi1
Tks
well like C3 said, there's no true long tube headers for maxima's... but what we consider to be long tube or short tube headers is this

Short tube

long tube

Basically the headers only, have a longer tube that connects to the Y-pipe, notice the two different designs, ppl say the one with longer tubes provides the most gains (though hotshots had shorter tubes than cattman and produced the most gains)
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Both those are still shorty headers cause they don't have a collector that's 30"-40" away from the manifold! Which I would love to see someone install on an engine installed transversely in a V6 powered fwd car...there will be a new improved version of PITA!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Datdude20 is putting down 247fwhp untuned with the OBX3.5 headers. (This is on a 6 speed though)

I personally have never dynoed my car, but me and Datdude20 have similar mods. .
Seems like hella good numbers for an un-tuned max to me. However how come no 3.5's have went with the 3.0 headers? the Y doesn't loop, and the 3.0's are $100.00 cheaper.. Will they bolt right up? i'm yet to receive that answer. Ebay claims they will however they also claim the 3.5 obx bolt right up (cutting some crossmember) which btw... I'm yet to have varified.. Anyone? I wanna know Before I get these.

I would imagine that Brian has some knowledge of headers because he designs and produces them.

So if it makes no difference, why did Datdude20 buy the 3.5 headers versus the 3.0 headers that are $100 cheaper?

Yes, the OBX 3.5 headers have what appears to be an equal length y-pipe.

There is a picture of the OBX 3.5 headers with the equal y.
That picture is so tempting atm..
Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 AM

Then let temptation rule and get those OBX headers for the 3.5 and call it the day!
Has anyone shown you a picture of a VQ30DE 5th gen or 4th header/ypipe setup. Look at it like it seems to be money/cost driven....If you think saving $100 is that important! Then get the cheaper ones and have the exhaust shop alter them to fit it your car and call it the day!

Last edited by CMax03; 08-23-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 AM

I believe that for both the 3.0 and the 3.5 OBX headers, some mild grinding of the crossmember is recommended because it just ever so slightly touches the flex-pipe.

I had to do it for my 3.5's.

I also had to remove the thin metal shielding over the rear motor mount.

Just ripped it off with an air chisel.

It's really not a big deal, you'll see what you have to grind when you go and try to bolt them up.

Took 10 minutes to do the grinding.

Also, no rewelding of the o2 bung is required like some have previously said.

Just get a bung plug and move the rear primary o2 to the next bung downstream.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 08-22-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Stop spreading BS. You say 3.0 headers? What in the world are those?

All header systems for 95-03 are the same. Difference = EGR provision for most 3.0 applications.

NMex has gen1 Cattman header.

Please read up on VQ3x firing order and you will see WHY EL-ypipe is substantial for power and flow (sound)
Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Seems like hella good numbers for an un-tuned max to me. However how come no 3.5's have went with the 3.0 headers? the Y doesn't loop, and the 3.0's are $100.00 cheaper.. Will they bolt right up? i'm yet to receive that answer. Ebay claims they will however they also claim the 3.5 obx bolt right up (cutting some crossmember) which btw... I'm yet to have varified.. Anyone? I wanna know Before I get these.

That picture is so tempting atm..
i believe i've answered your question already but ill do it again... first off, i have the 3.0 obx headers, just awaiting them to be shipped this thursday (IDK when ill install em) Nmexmax has em on his 5.5... blackillagtr has the ebay ones on his 5.5 The headers for a 4th gen maxima will fit a 5.5 basically it can be advertised as 95-03 headers (reason why they dont is because of the EGR port) no header fits as good as the cattmans With the OBX you most likely wont have to cut the crossmember every installed obx i've seen with my own 2 eyes didnt cut the crossmember not even a mm... never remember any of those posts???

Edit: before other orgers go ape ish on me... Nmexmax told me he had the 3.0 headers installed on his maxima a while back but if he doesnt others have and just plugged the EGR bung

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 08-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Stop spreading BS. You say 3.0 headers? What in the world are those?

All header systems for 95-03 are the same. Difference = EGR provision for most 3.0 applications.

NMex has gen1 Cattman header.

Please read up on VQ3x firing order and you will see WHY EL-ypipe is substantial for power and flow (sound)
O.k appearently you dont read well but o.k
Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 PM

i believe i've answered your question already but ill do it again... first off, i have the 3.0 obx headers, just awaiting them to be shipped this thursday (IDK when ill install em) Nmexmax has em on his 5.5... blackillagtr has the ebay ones on his 5.5 The headers for a 4th gen maxima will fit a 5.5 basically it can be advertised as 95-03 headers (reason why they dont is because of the EGR port) no header fits as good as the cattmans With the OBX you most likely wont have to cut the crossmember every installed obx i've seen with my own 2 eyes didnt cut the crossmember not even a mm... never remember any of those posts???

Edit: before other orgers go ape ish on me... Nmexmax told me he had the 3.0 headers installed on his maxima a while back but if he doesnt others have and just plugged the EGR bung
Thank you, will order shortly
Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Knightyzz has the 3.0 cattmans on his 5.5.... but im not remebering y i even said nmexmax has em, all my pm's were deleted but it coul've been somebody else

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...a-headers.html
Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 PM

iirc the 02 bungs are different locations on the 3.0/3.5 correct? For the 3.0 with a 3.5 you just have to lengthen the 02's?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:02 PM

yes... extend the o2 wires or relocate with a new bung, thats the minor though
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 PM

i took these right off the cattman's site... doesnt seem equal length to me yet it makes power... its just the Y...
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Thought cattman had a loop?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Thought cattman had a loop?
Cattman header/y-pipe combo have the loop.

That picture above is just of a y-pipe that is designed to go on the stock manifolds.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM

no equal Y non the less but it makes power, power is power...
Old 08-22-2009, 03:30 PM

This may seem stupid, but is there a how too?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

how to what??? if it is install then yes, search up pimping02max (or suttn like that) he had a write up... how u got an 8hr+ free day lol
Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 PM

exactly^ lol, Thanks. Lookin to read up on it tonight.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:03 AM

goodluck
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM

this thread is great
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM

this thread is great
lol sarcasm? haha
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 AM

this thread is great
this post is great, nice smiley work
Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Someone asked me to look in on this thread. I'm tired of the old Cattman vs everybody else argument, so all I'll say about it is that anybody can say anything, but the truest statement in this entire thread is "you get what you pay for".

Regarding the headers featured in this thread, the primary runners are way too short and assymetric - they appear to be a copy of the Stillen set, which was REAL smart. There's no remedy, its a design flaw that fatally compromises the effectiveness of this set. Find another ebay set to buy.

Making the y-pipe dowpipes equal length to go with equal length headers is good for some performance, but its primarily done for sound quality, and its generally unnecessary for y-pipes that are used with stock manifolds.

Just a couple other comments from scanning this thread. Someone used the term "reliable" to describe Ebay headers, but the words shouldn't be used in the same sentance. "Reliable" is something that is demonstrated over time, and although not every set will crack of fall apart over time, many do, and we hear the stories every day. Many of the header sets we ship out are replacing headers that someone spent $200 to buy and $500 to install.

Another comment criticized Mustang dynos. Nothing wrong with Mustang dynos, but they do give a more conservative (realistic?) horsepower result than some other brands do. But whatever the brand, dyno numbers are not meant to be compared between vehicles when done at different times, under different conditions, on different machines, etc. The way numbers are being compared on this thread is pointless (bad data in, bad data out). Dynos are only really effective at measuring performance change on the same vehicle, and only if done under controlled conditions (which is seldom the case).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM

who was the lil cry baby???... lol
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM

come on bro, thats uncalled for..if it wasnt for companies like hotshot, $tillen or cattman, who would obx or ssautocrime copy "their" designs from?

who was the lil cry baby???... lol

Quick Reply: ebay headers+link.. opinions?