5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ebay headers+link.. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM

ebay headers+link.. opinions?

Was on ebay and ran into these.. Was curious about them.. Anyone seen anyone with them? Another thing that's annoying me is there's no loop like cattman/hotshot/obx. Any specific reason hence the loop? Also can anyone tell if they're shortys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM

yes they will fit and they will work... i dont know of the gains on the 5.5 em... they are the shorty headers and according to most they have very minimal gains... i had em on my 4th gen auto and dynoed 189whp 182tq IIRC im not sure what they do on 5.5s as far as reliability goes, its been on the car for 5yrs and going... not one problem not even the flex sextion... nobody has has a car in good running condition with no codes and dynoed em

EDIT: as far as i know removing the Precats will show gains
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Wish I had a 4th gen, I would try them out just to see how well they fit and work!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM

The Y works like a charm... the headers are painful as usual
Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM

i'm eager to see how they work on a 5.5 gen.. curious how they would work with my current set up + a tune.. Any idea? I'm glad I now know That they are reliable.. However i'm also after some good hp gains. Obviously i'm looking at some since no pre cats. But shortys... eh..
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM

You don't want these. Since it's an unequal length Y pipe your car will sound awful.

And these are a shorty design, which means it's not worth how much of a PITA it is to install them.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Screw these than. Thanks for the save on that one. Guess i'll wait a lil and get some obx's.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 PM

All the headers I've installed and that exist to my knowledge for Maximas, have always been of the shorty header design. Cattman, OBX, Rocky mountains, Pacesetter,etc.!!! Can anyone show me a long tube header assembly made for our transverse mounted V6? If you thought shorty headers were hard to install.....Imagine trying to install a longtube header assembly on a Maxima or any other FWD transverse mounted V6!!! It would be a real PITA! I've never feed into that eqaul lenght header B.S. really effecting the sound quality as much as an exhaust that didn't have the proper resonator and muffler installed! You can never go to big on a resonator or muffler especially those of the straight flow thru design with perforated tubes!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Well looks like im not letting go of that idea just yet. Looks like we're right about to spark up some arguments here? hopefully in my favor. Sound i'm concerned about however I am mainly looking for HP!! Anyone with actual experience? not looking to pay 200 when the obx ones are almost 18+ whp If im looking at 5hp gains..
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 PM

Also wondering on the 3.0 obx headers.. Since 3.0 headers fit the 3.5 if you just plug up the egr port. Is there anything that won't fit?
With the 3.5 I know you gotta cut some of the crossmember off. However iirc the 3.5 y pipe loops compared to the 3.0 which doesn't. Anything to worry about?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM

I would say $130 isn't ****...I would try it by test fitting it first then if any hacking or fabrication is needed the header/ypipe is the sacrificial lamp and I would adjust it to fit my Maxima!
I got a good friend with a 4th Gen that would probably love this as a surprise gift! I'm really curious now...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Exactly my point^ I'm extremely curious however No one has pulled the plug with 5.5 maximas.. People also thought the obx headers wouldn't compete with cattman because the price difference yet they're dynoing 18+whp in certain rpm's. Sure cattman is better but the extra $400.00 for an extra 2-3 hp in certain rpm ranges just isn't worth it for me. I'm modding my maxima not building it..yet lol.

Back to my obx 3.0 on a 3.5 question.. anyone? Any other fab needed?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Exactly my point^ I'm extremely curious however No one has pulled the plug with 5.5 maximas.. People also thought the obx headers wouldn't compete with cattman because the price difference yet they're dynoing 18+whp in certain rpm's. Sure cattman is better but the extra $400.00 for an extra 2-3 hp in certain rpm ranges just isn't worth it for me. I'm modding my maxima not building it..yet lol.

Back to my obx 3.0 on a 3.5 question.. anyone? Any other fab needed?
Aaron used some ebay header assembly/ypipe that he took to a muffler shop and let them do the fitting. If you're really not able to purchase a VQ35 OBX then I would try this Ebay header assy in conjunction with a really good exhaust shop with a tech who really cares about his workmanship...here's something for you to checkout and get that brain to really flowing...anything is possible with man made ****!
The first VQ35DE Full ECU engine swap in a 3rd gen Maxima
92 Maxima SE Auto VQ35DE Swap
VE Auto PB: 12.8 @ 104mph w/ 75 shot
VQ35 PB: 12.76 @ 108 mph ALL MOTOR
Winner of the MAXUS 09 NA Maxima Unlimited class!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
yes they will fit and they will work... i dont know of the gains on the 5.5 em... they are the shorty headers and according to most they have very minimal gains... i had em on my 4th gen auto and dynoed 189whp 182tq IIRC im not sure what they do on 5.5s as far as reliability goes, its been on the car for 5yrs and going... not one problem not even the flex sextion... nobody has has a car in good running condition with no codes and dynoed em

EDIT: as far as i know removing the Precats will show gains
Originally Posted by CMax03
Aaron used some ebay header assembly/ypipe that he took to a muffler shop and let them do the fitting. If you're really not able to purchase a VQ35 OBX then I would try this Ebay header assy in conjunction with a really good exhaust shop with a tech who really cares about his workmanship...here's something for you to checkout and get that brain to really flowing...anything is possible with man made ****!
92 Maxima SE Auto VQ35DE Swap
VE Auto PB: 12.8 @ 104mph w/ 75 shot
VQ35 PB: 12.76 @ 108 mph ALL MOTOR
Winner of the MAXUS 09 NA Maxima Unlimited class!
I have seen that. I'm not worried about making them fit. I'm sure it's going to be a PITA however making them fit isn't my concern. My main worry is that I won't see dyno numbers anywhere near obx. As being headers that no one (that i've seen or researched) has put on their 3.5 maxima I'm sure you can see why i'm not too eager to just pull $200.00 out for. Especially since if the gains are minimal I won't be able to resell these. I'd rather spend $400.00 on obx headers IF these have gains no where near obx. However even 13+whp would be a plus for me. I'm looking to deleate my pre-cats w.o gutting them since i'll probably lose power like that. Yet at the same time i'm not looking to ghetto fix my car up.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Honestly they really don't look that much different than the OBX, manifold wise! The ypipe is the real difference...it's your call not mine...I really think they will perform just as good as most headers do....the manifold to collector plays more into power production than the ypipe IMO. In my book it's worth a chance! Making power is more than just exhaust, how your package works together is the real test (intake with exhaust)...I'll talk to my buddy to see if he's interested!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 AM

E-sub... only one way to find out... i know they fit because blackillaGTR has em on his car... he tried mustang dyno but he had KS and a ton of other issues so his numbers was off (not to mention with mustang dyno it was gonna be off regardless)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Good point.. I'm just curious.. what gen does blkkillagtr have? Also I'm not looking at much numbers w.o getting the apexi vafc-II right? No matter what name brand headers I get.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Good point.. I'm just curious.. what gen does blkkillagtr have? Also I'm not looking at much numbers w.o getting the apexi vafc-II right? No matter what name brand headers I get.
Yup. I think a few people actually reported losses between an aftermarket Y-pipe and headers because they throw your AFRs into the way rich zone. I'm running a 10.9 AFR at WOT...

The only way to get the most out of your headers is use a wideband and something to correct the Air/Fuel ratio.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM

blackilla has an auto 5.5 but like i said its giving a ton of problems last i read and he's probebly close if not over 200K
Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Honestly they really don't look that much different than the OBX, manifold wise!
Ionno, gen 1s maybe, these gen2 look better. They don't have that stupid bend where the rear bank hits the front head on. These look more like hotshot or cattman.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...4506.m20.l1116
get these and you're set...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Ionno, gen 1s maybe, these gen2 look better. They don't have that stupid bend where the rear bank hits the front head on. These look more like hotshot or cattman.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...4506.m20.l1116
get these and you're set...
I've already read up on OBX. I know that OBX headers almost match cattman and hotshot, However you need to modify the cross member(cutt a bit off) I believe to make them fit. I was asking about these to see if anyone had them on their 5.5 gen. Considering they're even half the price of OBx (who no one believed would make good numbers). I'm simply trying to see if anyone has these. However if no one posts soon I believe I might try them out.. Either way i'm going to make SOME power because it's removing my pre-cats..
Plus My max came with some pretty ugly rims (ebay brand) that I can sell for $200.00. On top of that my pre-cats are rattling. Hopefully it's worth it, Considering there are no fwd dynos anywhere around here.. And i'm trying to find a good good dyno, not just a mustang off dyno.
On top of that i'll still have to get the vafc-2 before I even dyno... Guess it's just time now atm. If it's not a break-through and I barely make power.. I won't be too hard on myself considering I'm not paying outta my pocket for the headers to begin with.. Than i'll just get OBX and never post another thread about ebay headers
Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about warpspeed headers and y pipes. throughout the whole post Ive heard about obx hotshot and cattman, Im trying to get the warpspedd y pipe, is it anything wrong with them?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 AM

Look what esle is on Ebay motors this might fit better or you may wanna keep searching for a 02-03 Maxima header kit...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by siege562
What about warpspeed headers and y pipes. throughout the whole post Ive heard about obx hotshot and cattman, Im trying to get the warpspedd y pipe, is it anything wrong with them?
warpspeed made headers????
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

warpspeed made headers????
No? Just a Y pipe I Believe.. I meant to say Y pipe, guess headers came out.
I'll re-update as soon as I sell somethings and get the headers/tune/dyno..

Last edited by e-subliminal-2; 08-19-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Look what esle is on Ebay motors this might fit better or you may wanna keep searching for a 02-03 Maxima header kit...

Would those fit???
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Hooooooonda.....

no...................
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM

I need to replace the y-pipe in my car because there is a hole in the flex section. I know that the actual headers portion of the exhaust doesnt really need upgrading so do guys think I could buy these headers and just use the y-pipe off of it?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 AM

come on its e-bay its gonna be crap.. just look at the price
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luquire
I need to replace the y-pipe in my car because there is a hole in the flex section. I know that the actual headers portion of the exhaust doesnt really need upgrading so do guys think I could buy these headers and just use the y-pipe off of it?
you will get what you pay for 90% of the time.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
you will get what you pay for 90% of the time.
Well I bought warpspeed before for the y-pipe and now it has deteriorated (flex section) and I thought they where quality. Since I ordered a stainless steal y-pipe from warpspeed originally and they sent me an aluminum one and would not refund me my money or send me the correct one (SS) I will never order from them again. Cattman y-pipe is very expensive (cost of the OBX headers) so if I was thinking about spending more like on a Cattman y-pipe I would just buy the NICE ebay headers (OBX) instead for the same price there abouts and get more gains.

Last edited by Luquire; 08-19-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Yup. I think a few people actually reported losses between an aftermarket Y-pipe and headers because they throw your AFRs into the way rich zone. I'm running a 10.9 AFR at WOT...

The only way to get the most out of your headers is use a wideband and something to correct the Air/Fuel ratio.
Why would that be? An increase in airflow through the engine should lean it out, not richen it up.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by tunafish51
come on its e-bay its gonna be crap.. just look at the price
was that really your best input to this thread??? obx is from ebay too... its your post count, its crap... better yet its your knowledge its crap
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Hey E-sub, here is what it is... any header setup (yes including stillen) will prove gains and with the other exhaust mods upgraded and tuned correctly will give you gains... a header, high flow cat, and catback setup will show very good gains... if you decide to re-sell you can always sell it to 4th genners... im not a genious so i cant say how much gains your particular car will make but for the price all you have to gain is a quarter of what cattmans headers make to be successful (seeing thats what the price is)... i dont know who came up with the theory of why shorty headers dont work with vq3.5s but if such statements and research were proven then thats the only reason why i said the gains were minimal........................................... ...

Can somebody please clarify something to me........... Who actually had to modify the crossmember??? i know 3 ppl with the OBX headers and non with a modified crossmember

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 08-19-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Hey, Just buy the ****'s and have them finesed to fit or get those infamous OBX and finese what's needed to make them fit and call it the day! I'm not sure that you're any closer to making up your mind on what direction you're going even at this point!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM

^^^ +1
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 PM

:metalmax:
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM

was that really your best input to this thread??? obx is from ebay too... its your post count, its crap... better yet its your knowledge its crap
Actually, many orgers have PLENTY from ebay and it's not crap. If you buy CRAP off ebay because you yourself are not mechanically inclined, Than it's your fault for buying the pos part. Not the company for selling it, (they did their part by selling CRAP to someone they knew would fall for it, therefore you're responsible for it) However with the price being as low as it is. I figure it's worth a shot once i also get the Apexi vafc-II to make sure I'm looking at the maximum power possible. People underestimated obx (EBAY BRAND) and they proved wrong. Everyone still had the same speculation about OBX considering they were crap because the price until someone finally bought them and received great numbers. I guess i'm just waiting now on some money to come through from my rims, After that I might pull the trigger on them, unless I run into a set of OBX 3.0 headers for around the same or slightly more.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:07 AM

naw bro... i agree fully with u... when people hear ebay they automatically think crap (its just the thing to say) ebay is not an actuall store, its a place where small business can get free advertisement on there products whether its a name brand or a knock off... i'd like to start a thread saying im gonna buy some illumina's from ebay and ebay only and see what ppl would say i never understood the "you get what u pay for thing" E-sub is paying for some headers and thats what will be shipped to him, unless he gets a barof soap or suttn then we can use the sarcastic line
Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Luquire
if your 01 is a fed spec (which its most likely not) then you can use just the Y... the Y will not fit the stock headers you have to use the complete item... headers and Y... if u only want a y, hit up Warpspeed

Quick Reply: ebay headers+link.. opinions?