5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

:D Lemme hear it

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM

:D Lemme hear it

Hopefully we can keep this thread in order for awhile... Anyways i have a 2002 GLE 5.5 (obviously by sig and yes auto) and its been around the forums for a long time about headers with no equal length Y-pipe... I just got my 3.0 OBX headers, im not sure what is my current WHP as an auto but i guess my 1/4 ET should give a ball park figure of what power my car currently has... i hope to be installing these very soon as u guys are probebly familiar with the previous problem of my car misfiring and ruining my stock headers... i wish i could dyno the car today but i cant for 2 reasons (1. no money lol 2, my numbers wouldnt be correct because of my clogged stock headers and i dont want the gains seem to be too much than what they are)... i know im not the first to own a set of 3.0 headers on a 5.5 but i guess ill be the one to dyno it and see what this thing also does, and of coarse not only will i dyno but ill be swinging by the local track to run these, wish me luck i guess (and yes i know u all love ur cattmans so you can keep the comment to urself, i like them too)

Old 08-27-2009, 03:32 PM

lets be grown men fella's and keep this thing going
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
retired moderator

Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM

did you find somebody who can affordable install the headers?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM

yes, had about 2 or 3 ppl that can do it
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Hate to burst your bubble...but your not gonna get as good gains because of the unequal length y-pipe...

Why didn't you buy the actual OBX VQ35 headers/y-pipe???
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Hate to burst your bubble...but your not gonna get as good gains because of the unequal length y-pipe...

Why didn't you buy the actual OBX VQ35 headers/y-pipe???
well thats one of the reasons i wanted it, to prove this non equal Y-pipe thing that floats around on the forum, plus i got it for $250... have u ever dynoed headers on a 5.5 with non equal y??? i kinda think that is BS, i owned headers before... i'll be like my buddy datdude20, ill be the ginuea pig
Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
well thats one of the reasons i wanted it, to prove this non equal Y-pipe thing that floats around on the forum, plus i got it for $250... have u ever dynoed headers on a 5.5 with non equal y??? i kinda think that is BS, i owned headers before... i'll be like my buddy datdude20, ill be the ginuea pig
3.0 and 3.5 headers are the same as far as anything that matters goes (dimensions, design assuming the same brand, etc)

I have the 5.5 headers on my DE-K.

Hopefully your $250 doesn't go to waste, unequal length downpipes have been known to have leave a raspy tone in your exhaust note but I'm not sure if anyone proved the power gains to be any different.

Are you getting a wideband?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
faster than you think

i found someone that can install it for $150 for mine
Old 08-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tedo007
i found someone that can install it for $150 for mine
wait til they see what needs to be done lol
Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
3.0 and 3.5 headers are the same as far as anything that matters goes (dimensions, design assuming the same brand, etc)

I have the 5.5 headers on my DE-K.

Hopefully your $250 doesn't go to waste, unequal length downpipes have been known to have leave a raspy tone in your exhaust note but I'm not sure if anyone proved the power gains to be any different.

Are you getting a wideband?
hmm.. i already planned on doing a 22" or 26" resonator, well 26" cause i wanna do a 3" also...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM

I actually got my entire exhuast put on for 200 and an aftermarket shop (Headers all the way back). They did great job and sounds great.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
faster than you think

wait til they see what needs to be done lol
i already showed them what has to be done... shop say we got everything here we'll get it done.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Good luck, I'm still waiting to jump on this wagon. I was about to pull the plug on some 3.0 but figuring an extra $25.00 gets me 3.5's with a Buy it now... I might hold off until I see dyno numbers. However If there is a difference I doubt it's gonna be more than 1-2hp difference.. Anyone have the non header auto dyno? So we can have a ball park estimate of hp gained?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 AM

no hotshot no cattman no care

and stop calling your factory manifolds headers!

Last edited by HotshotVQ35; 08-28-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:45 AM

Not exactly an ideal setup, but GLW the install. Hope you get the numbers you hope for.
remember: BELIEVE (no excuses, no mercy) D-day for DC coming soon.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Good luck, I'm still waiting to jump on this wagon. I was about to pull the plug on some 3.0 but figuring an extra $25.00 gets me 3.5's with a Buy it now... I might hold off until I see dyno numbers. However If there is a difference I doubt it's gonna be more than 1-2hp difference.. Anyone have the non header auto dyno? So we can have a ball park estimate of hp gained?
when i dynoed my auto 02.. it was 187.. yes really low numbers because my spark plugs haven't been changed.. i had around 105k when i dynoed i think.. and i hadn't relocated my knock sensor.. after that, 3rd gear pulls a lot harder.. i think if i had new plugs and relocated the sensor before, i would be around 200.. mods at the time were hks exhaust, fc intake, and block off plate
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

sorry sr lol if somebody (not calling names) would've sold their hotshots i would've had my dream setup lls
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
when i dynoed my auto 02.. it was 187.. yes really low numbers because my spark plugs haven't been changed.. i had around 105k when i dynoed i think.. and i hadn't relocated my knock sensor.. after that, 3rd gear pulls a lot harder.. i think if i had new plugs and relocated the sensor before, i would be around 200.. mods at the time were hks exhaust, fc intake, and block off plate
good, we have the exact same mods... intake, Exhaust and Block plate, so my numbers should've been in the 200-205 range so i guess we'll see what the after dyno numbers look like
Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by KiNgJaMEs
Not exactly an ideal setup, but GLW the install. Hope you get the numbers you hope for.
remember: BELIEVE (no excuses, no mercy) D-day for DC coming soon.
i was never worried, nor will i have to have an excuse lol
Old 08-28-2009, 04:19 PM

I got a feeling its just not going to sound as nice as an equal length setup, thats it.. Now if was a long tube setup and uneven that would be different.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
I got a feeling its just not going to sound as nice as an equal length setup, thats it.. Now if was a long tube setup and uneven that would be different.
thats what resonators are for right??? (though i have none right now lol)
Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by soxruled0
I actually got my entire exhuast put on for 200 and an aftermarket shop (Headers all the way back). They did great job and sounds great.
why isnt headers listed in your mod list in your sig??? what headers did u get???
Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM

You have no money, your car is running like crap, and you're buying headers? lol, wow

Seriously though, I dont see the point of continuing to bump this thread if you're not going to be able to compare dyno #'s both before and after install.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM

...and stop calling your factory manifolds headers!
Yeah, that phrase "stock headers" was a head scratcher.

Figured maybe Maryland got some special Maxima option I'd never heard of.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester

Yeah, that was pretty funny....
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMax01
You have no money, your car is running like crap, and you're buying headers? lol, wow

Seriously though, I dont see the point of continuing to bump this thread if you're not going to be able to compare dyno #'s both before and after install.
well if you read my thread i did post that i fixed it but o.k... anyways i dont mind dynoing before and after, just send me $50 to dyno my car now and ill pay to dyno it after (dnvr12@yahoo.com), my headers were already on the way before my misfiring problem so was my spacers hence why i had to sell the spacers, even if u took the time to read this thread also you would see that the precats in my stock "manifold" is clogged so why not use this opportunity to install headers??? i wasnt just throwing crap at my car and seriously, if u have nothing constructive to add to this thread (whether i like it or not) just dont even bother to post, just add to the "viewed" status of this thread... im also not going to know about 5th gen numbers either because ppl like u fail to step to the plate (whisper) also fail to break 14's
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM

maybe we do srry to you also sir... anybody got ultimately confused when i say stock headers im very srry (thats just what i always called em) if it makes this thread so confusing or if you couldnt put 2 and 2 together, "I Grand_hustle17 made a mistake and called stock "manifolds" headers... srry ppl
Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 PM

i dont mind dynoing before and after, just send me $50 to dyno my car now and ill pay to dyno it after (dnvr12@yahoo.com)
You can start by getting a better job, if you even have one....lol

my headers were already on the way before my misfiring problem so was my spacers hence why i had to sell the spacers
So your headers were on the way before the misfiring, and yet you were spending money that you didnt have on something you didnt even know you needed (at the time), even though your car wasnt operating correctly?

Makes sense.

even if u took the time to read this thread also you would see that the precats in my stock "manifold" is clogged so why not use this opportunity to install headers???
I did read it, and I understand your manifolds might be clogged, but again, whats the point of continuing to bring this thread up if you're not even dynoing before and after?

You dont even have a basis for your so-called "analysis", much less the money to throwing away for a project like this.

Smart.

im also not going to know about 5th gen numbers either because ppl like u fail to step to the plate (whisper) also fail to break 14's
Injen intake was the problem. And now I have a set of D2 coilovers, just as you did. Its helps to make comparison that are actually valid and coincide with each other.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:29 PM

maybe we do srry to you also sir... anybody got ultimately confused when i say stock headers im very srry (thats just what i always called em) if it makes this thread so confusing or if you couldnt put 2 and 2 together, "I Grand_hustle17 made a mistake and called stock "manifolds" headers... srry ppl
You realize that it's all fun, don't you? Or maybe you don't... you seem kind of impulsive, which makes it hard for you to appreciate the nuance when being teased. And man, you've been getting ranked on a lot lately!

I couldn't resist the "headers" dig. It was too easy.

However, I feel your frustrations. My stock Ram Jet has been overloading the Heisenberg Compensators... I can't get any lift.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM

who me?? im cool, i already expect this from smoking, this is what he does, i know its all in fun, im not mad at all i've been on here long enough to know how things goes lol
Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM

You can start by getting a better job, if you even have one....lol

So your headers were on the way before the misfiring, and yet you were spending money that you didnt have on something you didnt even know you needed (at the time), even though your car wasnt operating correctly?

Makes sense.

I did read it, and I understand your manifolds might be clogged, but again, whats the point of continuing to bring this thread up if you're not even dynoing before and after?

You dont even have a basis for your so-called "analysis", much less the money to throwing away for a project like this.

Smart.

Injen intake was the problem. And now I have a set of D2 coilovers, just as you did. Its helps to make comparison that are actually valid and coincide with each other.
i was already going to do headers even if nothing was wrong with my car for the performance purpose and in that my precats are now wrecked gives me a better reason to, or better yet, makes me more urgent about the installation of these headers... so whether i make an extra 20+whp or 0whp, i still benefit because my car wont be choking and it will probebly burn less oil because of it, not to mention the gas mileage increase so i have plenty good reason to install these, plus unlike you, plenty of the 5.5 guys are curious to see numbers also
Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Grand hustle, as least we are keeping this trend alive with all these "argument".
Keep us updated.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM

You realize that it's all fun, don't you? Or maybe you don't... you seem kind of impulsive, which makes it hard for you to appreciate the nuance when being teased. And man, you've been getting ranked on a lot lately!
Exactly.

Hustle makes it all too easy sometimes, but I agree, it is all in good fun..

Good luck with your build man, hope it works out for you.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM

+1, and that original post = longest sentence ever.

Why didn't you find a decent set of stock manifolds, get your car to good running spec, and then continue modification? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MIK3
+1

Why didn't you find a decent set of stock manifolds, get your car to good running spec, and then continue modification? Just curious.
Cause he already bought the headers before he knew he had a problem with the stock manifolds, and now he has no money.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM

I couldn't resist the "headers" dig. It was too easy.

However, I feel your frustrations. My stock Ram Jet has been overloading the Heisenberg Compensators... I can't get any lift.
im known by damn near the whole DCmax heads, and a lot of outter state orgers also, NC, SC, NY, CHI, all ova, everbody will tell ya, im a cool and collective guy, i dont really take too much to heart nor do i let words get to me, (not 99% of when ppl critisize) it all cool
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM

because i wasnt going to be the one messing with the stock manifolds and i saw these for $250 new so i figured why not. Im not in the least curious if i will make any gains or not, im more than sure i will and im sure the gains will be similar to those of auto's, i dont really get caught up with all the small things ppl say on this forum, "unequal length", "stickers", what the "brand" is, "coilovers breaking in two peices" i do agree that there are somethings that are better than some but that is most often over used by ppl that really dont know too much and just feel to have some kind of input, but all in all, i didnt want to pay twice for installation, and to smoking talking about a job, its way easier to say "get a better job" i get paid enough to take care of my bills and to keep a shelter over my head, srry i cant spend freely as most ppl, i have never had to use a credit card on my car, i can put a little to the side for my car, so yes in times like this ur gonna always here me say im broke, i just budget good enough to take care of important stuff and keep my car looking good and performing as well also... i am glad that u guys keep my thread going though, i really do appreciate it
Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Grand hustle, as least we are keeping this trend alive with all these "argument".
Keep us updated.
keep it up at least u didnt call me hustler
Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Exactly.

Hustle makes it all too easy sometimes, but I agree, it is all in good fun..

Good luck with your build man, hope it works out for you.
but secretly wants me to fail

Quick Reply: :D Lemme hear it