5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 pricing in mid-atlantic states (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 07:40 AM
john22

2k2 pricing in mid-atlantic states (kinda long)

Back in October I contacted a few online sites which link you to local dealers for (they say) wonderful deals. I said I wanted an SE 6-speed, with the only option being the HLSD. Cash deal, no trade-in. I heard from two local dealers--Sansone Nissan in Neptune, NJ (via stoneage.com), and Freehold Nissan (where I usually get my '91 SE serviced) in Freehold, NJ (via VehiclesOnline.com and some other site).
My wanting the HLSD caused problems since Nissan USA wasn't then accepting orders for the option. After learning on this site early this month that orders with HLSD could now be placed, I contacted the two dealers. Freehold Nissan said they would order only if I also got splash guards and floor mats. I said okay, so what's your price? Their quote was $25,200. I called Sansone, and their internet dept. transferred me to some sales manager. "Did you get another quote?" he asked. "What was it?" I told him. "I'll call you back," he said. After not hearing from him for a week (Thanksgiving weekend was in the middle of that), I called the Sansone internet sales folks and told them what had happened. They switched me to some sales guy who asked me what options I wanted, and said he'd call me back. He left a message on my machine later that day saying the price would be between $26,500 and $26,000, and I should come in and talk.
I thought the advantage of buying over the internet was getting a decent price WITHOUT having to come in and talk!
I am guessing that the reason the first guy from Sansone didn't call back was because he couldn't match Freehold Nissan's price. Still, Freehold's quote doesn't seem that attractive. MSRP for the car (w/dest. charge) is $26,586. I don't know what invoice is, because I don't know dealer's cost is for the HLSD, but his total has gotta be around $23,850. So Freehold Nissan is basically splitting the price between invoice and MSRP, but they're still getting $1,300 over invoice.
Canadian guys seem to be getting great deals, but I don't want to buy in Canada, no matter how easy it is. And I don't want to bust the dealer's chops to save $50. But I think something like $500 over invoice (before tax, title, license) is fair to all.
What is your recent experience (esp. in my part of the country), and/or what do you think? Thanks.

Old 11-29-2001, 07:55 AM

Re: 2k2 pricing in mid-atlantic states (kinda long)

i am having this exact same problem. we haven't even had HLSD equipped Max's hit the streets here in Atlanta. I have been to almost every Nissan dealer within 75 miles. Most only have one 6-speed and are not dealing. Lithia Springs has like 6 and said they will deal very well on the price. Regal Nissan are such ****** that they put a $1800 markup sticker on there *only* 6-speed for limited availability. With the way the market is and such a low demand for manual Max's, I am not too worried that I will be able to pick it up for 100-200 above invoice.

-jason
Old 11-29-2001, 08:35 AM

Re: 2k2 pricing

Originally posted by john22
...After learning on this site early this month that orders with HLSD could now be placed, I contacted the two dealers. Freehold Nissan said they would order only if I also got splash guards and floor mats. I said okay, so what's your price? Their quote was $25,200. ... MSRP for the car (w/dest. charge) is $26,586. I don't know what invoice is, because I don't know dealer's cost is for the HLSD, but his total has gotta be around $23,850. ...
What is your recent experience (esp. in my part of the country), and/or what do you think? Thanks.
Last Friday I ordered that exact same car (2k2 6-speed, HLSD, mats, guards): MSRP $26,586, delivered cash price $24,000 (plus tax and license). This is in Milwaukee...but I had to struggle to find this price. I can give you the name and number of the salemsan/dealer out here if interested...
Old 11-29-2001, 12:08 PM

I used AutoByTel. I got the Internet sales manager of a nearby dealership, and I told him what I wanted. He said he did Internet business at $500 over invoice, which I thought was reasonable.

I got a loaded SE with 6-speed and HLSD (the ONLY option I didn't get was the nav system....every single other thing that was an option, I got, including floormats and wind-deflector for the sunroof, etc.), for $28.1 (we agreed on a dealer invoice cost of $330 for the HLSD), including the destination charge.

Right now, it's scheduled for January delivery, although I expect that to slip to February.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:57 PM
john22

This afternoon I emailed Freehold Nissan, giving them the invoice pricing as per Edmunds (guessing $330 for the HLSD)--total $23,886. I suggested they were having a little fun at my expense with their quote of $25,200, and offered them $24,200. (Actually, I'm willing to go up another two or three hundred bucks, but I figured I'd see what they came up with.)
They called me back a little while ago, taking issue with the figure I quote for the base SE, but what the difference turns out to be is that their number includes the $540 destination charge and a $300 advertising fee (that's one way to hide it!). So, to this figure of $23,711, they added the invoice prices of $60 for floor mats, $85 for splash guards, and $330 for the HLSD. Then they tacked on an extra $1,000 for their profit (in addition to the holdback). The big concession on price was to give me their exact total of $25,186, down from their orginal rounded-up quote of $25,200!
I mentioned the Milwaukee dealer's price, and their answer was--"I don't know how that guy's making any money! If you can get that price, go for it!" Go to Milwaukee, that is! Well, maybe I will!
I'll attempt an end around on Freehold's internet dept, and try to deal with a regular sales guy there who was talking more like $500 over invoice before I mentioned I was gonna get price quotes over the web--then he stopped talking to me! If I get no success there, and if Freehold's internet people don't come back soon with a decent counteroffer, I'll either go to Milwaukee, or get a VW Passat or a Saab 9-5!

Old 11-30-2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by john22
This afternoon I emailed Freehold Nissan, giving them the invoice pricing as per Edmunds (guessing $330 for the HLSD)--total $23,886. I suggested they were having a little fun at my expense with their quote of $25,200, and offered them $24,200. (Actually, I'm willing to go up another two or three hundred bucks, but I figured I'd see what they came up with.)
They called me back a little while ago, taking issue with the figure I quote for the base SE, but what the difference turns out to be is that their number includes the $540 destination charge and a $300 advertising fee (that's one way to hide it!). So, to this figure of $23,711, they added the invoice prices of $60 for floor mats, $85 for splash guards, and $330 for the HLSD. Then they tacked on an extra $1,000 for their profit (in addition to the holdback). The big concession on price was to give me their exact total of $25,186, down from their orginal rounded-up quote of $25,200!
I mentioned the Milwaukee dealer's price, and their answer was--"I don't know how that guy's making any money! If you can get that price, go for it!" Go to Milwaukee, that is! Well, maybe I will!
I'll attempt an end around on Freehold's internet dept, and try to deal with a regular sales guy there who was talking more like $500 over invoice before I mentioned I was gonna get price quotes over the web--then he stopped talking to me! If I get no success there, and if Freehold's internet people don't come back soon with a decent counteroffer, I'll either go to Milwaukee, or get a VW Passat or a Saab 9-5!
Buy it in Canada and save a bundle. That's what I did. Mine's on order. Sticker on the Max you want is a whopping $33.9k Canadian. Destination is like $922 or something. I ordered a fully loaded one SE (only option is a $3k leather package) for $36k including everything but taxes. You should be able to get it for right around $33k plus taxes in Canada (Canadian taxes are refunded by mail because you're exporting the car). Using today's exchange rate that means the car is $21k US. You have to pay a 2.5% import duty at the border, and you'll have to pay your states sales tax when you register it, but it's not big deal. The SE has more standard options than the US one also (according to www.nissancanada.com )

Stereodude