5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to: Run amp power cable through firewall in 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 09:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How to: Run amp power cable through firewall in 5th gen

There's a cutout diamond in the padding underneath the dash on the driver's side. It's even got a thumb tab to make it easy to remove. If you remove the cutout piece, you see bare metal underneath. That's the firewall. If you drill through it, you get right into the engine bay. Drilling is easy, the metal is pretty thin and there's not much in the way in the engine bay that you can accidently cut. You should drill from the inside of the car into the engine bay. I'm guessing 4-gauge amp power cable is about half an inch in diameter, so you can drill one big hole if you have the drill bit. I had to drill several small holes, then widen them with a bigger bit and punch out the middle metal. The edges are sort of jagged, so I have to get a rubber grommet.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:49 AM

Re: How to: Run amp power cable through firewall in 5th gen

I ran mines thru the existing rubber grommet for the hood release. There's also a rubber grommet w/ a wire harness going thru.

bp
Old 12-01-2001, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: How to: Run amp power cable through firewall in 5th gen

Originally posted by pinakbet
I ran mines thru the existing rubber grommet for the hood release. There's also a rubber grommet w/ a wire harness going thru.

bp
I couldn't get to those easily or without disassembling the dash, which I'd rather not do. I think Nissan left that patch in the padding explicitly for access through the firewall.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:19 PM

Ya don't hafta disassemble the dash. You can access the grommets by removing the plastic lining in the wheel well. Turning the wheel all the way to the left helps. Then when you feed the cable thru, it drops by the dead pedal. Didn't have a drill at the time so I did it that way. To each his own. . .

Peace,
bp
Old 12-01-2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by pinakbet
Ya don't hafta disassemble the dash. You can access the grommets by removing the plastic lining in the wheel well. Turning the wheel all the way to the left helps. Then when you feed the cable thru, it drops by the dead pedal. Didn't have a drill at the time so I did it that way. To each his own. . .

Peace,
bp
I'd heard this works on the 4th gen, but no one mentioned if it worked on the 5th gen. Thanks for the info, I'll try it out tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:48 AM
skyrocker

i have a 94 max

i spent hours trying to get the wire thru some hole to the battery without drilling

help me, find me a way, where is the firewall how do i get it thru
i feel like puttin my foot thru the windshield and running it thru it lol

nooo
lets not
i love my max

Old 12-06-2001, 03:29 PM

Re: i have a 94 max

Do a search in the audio\electronics forums, several people have instructions for your 4th gen (?)

Originally posted by skyrocker
i spent hours trying to get the wire thru some hole to the battery without drilling

help me, find me a way, where is the firewall how do i get it thru
i feel like puttin my foot thru the windshield and running it thru it lol

nooo
lets not
i love my max
Old 12-06-2001, 04:35 PM

I do not suggest drilling thru the firewall. I had my fog lights installed at on my GXE, and wanted them to mount a switch on the dashboard. Suckers made a huge hole in my then brand-new Max but couldn't get through, so I told them to leave it. On the other hand, install guys @ stereo shop easily run a wire...not sure where, but across from the passenger side in the engine bay...
Old 12-06-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I do not suggest drilling thru the firewall. I had my fog lights installed at on my GXE, and wanted them to mount a switch on the dashboard. Suckers made a huge hole in my then brand-new Max but couldn't get through, so I told them to leave it. On the other hand, install guys @ stereo shop easily run a wire...not sure where, but across from the passenger side in the engine bay...
There's nothing wrong with drilling a hole through the firewall. Nissan even put a patch over the area they suggest you drill through. You can try to squeeze your 4-gauge amp cable through another grommet where other wires go through, but hopefully the electrical field caused by the amp cable does not interfere with other electronics whose cables also run through that grommet.