5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

strut confusion....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM

strut confusion....

I searched for this but didn't find anything really conclusive. I did the strut test, where I walked to each wheel and pushed down. Three of them were somewhat difficult to push and rebound back kinda slow. The last one was easier than that rest and rebounded faster but it didn't bounce excessively or anything. Does this mean that 3 struts are bad or that the one is bad?

I checked the struts because every so often I'll hit a bump and the car bounces weird..not a front to back or side to side motion but more of a diagonal motion(if that makes any sense)...it doesn't do it ALL the time though...This isn't the end of the world b/c I plan on replacing the suspension but can't right now because of $$$ and the fact that everytime I research the topic I get more confused as to which spring to go with..lol

Any direction or advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
RL.

you should replace you're suspension regardless, maxima's come with crappy suspension...if you want good ride quality/stock ride height go with kyb gr2 struts with stock springs...if you want the car lowered go with full coilovers like teins or bcs or for a cheaper route go with tokico illumina struts with tein h tech springs.

/thread
Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Or, dont listen to what this guy has to say and read the great spring/strut threads
Old 11-12-2009, 06:14 AM

I have spent hours in the threads and i am sure I'll make a conclusion at somepoint regarding the springs. I am more concerned with how many struts are dead. I want to know if I am driving around with 3 or 1 blown strut...that'll pretty much decide how soon I replace everything. Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Suspension Yoda

Slow = shock absorber is working. Fast = broken seal and no resistance. I'd say one strut is blown, not 3. I work a lot with suspensions.

However, when doing a strut job, it's generally beneficial to replace at least 2 at a time (F/R). Most just do all 4. How many miles on your car?

Lastly, I do suspension installs for very low prices in NJ. PM me if you're interested or have additional technical questions - which I'll be happy to answer, and give you proper answers - unlike post #2.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 11-12-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

To be completely honest with you, it is irrelevant whether you have one or three bad struts. What matters is that you have bad struts. This thread is somewhat pointless if this is the only thing you are trying to find out. If you seek advice on strut replacement, well, then that's a different story.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ agree, elaborates on my post above about replacing 2/4. Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Since you live in Long Island, and are willing to wait for money and info, consider waiting until the Maxus2010 event, where you'll have a chance to see various suspension setups first hand, and talk to their owners.

You could also lurk in the classifieds here for a pair of OEM struts on the cheap. They pop up pretty regularly.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Suspension Yoda

Spring/strut decision:
http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

OEM struts: I've got a set for sale, they have 70K miles. They're in the classifieds section.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the advice fellas. Djfrestyl, I'll def. keep you in mind when I get struts. Rochester, that is a very good point considering I forgot Maxus2010 is gonna be in NYC
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Yeah I agree with Rochester, if you can wait it out you can definitely pick and choose and see what you really like. I'm pretty sure you've seen pictures of my car with the H&R/Illuminas (before I got new tires). You're local, maybe one weekend I can take a look at the car and let you know. I'm pretty sure access to the shop is no longer an option as my toolbox is gonna be outta there early next week but we can still take a look at it. I've also got struts for sale (rear) if you're interested, check the classifieds.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Maxus in NYC? You East costs folks always luck out on this stuff.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Maxus in NYC? You East costs folks always luck out on this stuff.
C'mon, man! Bring the family. Make a big-city vacation out of it.

Your Maxima is undeniably unique. People would be all over your car, gawking and asking questions. You know you'd love it.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Byrdman-it the front passenger side that I think is shot but, it'd be cool if u could check it out and maybe I'd grub a ride to see if I like h&r/illumina setup. I just wish I had a regular schedule but it changes alot.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
C'mon, man! Bring the family. Make a big-city vacation out of it.

Your Maxima is undeniably unique. People would be all over your car, gawking and asking questions. You know you'd love it.
My son would never make the 2k mile trek. I've pondered the idead quite a bit.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
Byrdman-it the front passenger side that I think is shot but, it'd be cool if u could check it out and maybe I'd grub a ride to see if I like h&r/illumina setup. I just wish I had a regular schedule but it changes alot.
Haha yeah I hear ya. Remember, in making your spring decisions, also consider what kind of tires you're using. Since I put on these monster tires the ride quality got MUCH smoother. Also, my front struts were shot, which is why I decided to change all the struts and springs. They didn't seem to show an issue just by bouncing on the ends of the car, but over some bumps you'd feel the suspension bottom out and feel like a boat. If you're having doubts, you can always just change the struts for now and decide on springs later, depending on money and whatnot.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Not a bad idea, but you'd be paying double - in both time and labor/installation costs.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^ Not a bad idea, but you'd be paying double - in both time and labor/installation costs.
Yeah, not the most cost effective route
Old 11-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

Hehe yep. OP, definitely let me know when you're ready for install.

Also, if you want to just replace the one strut for now, I have some used parts for sale in excellent condition.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ts-mounts.html
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
OEM struts: I've got a set for sale, they have 70K miles. They're in the classifieds section.
So they're already worn out for the next owner?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM

It's not smart to cut corners when doing maintenance on your car, why would you?? Piece of mind goes a long way and the only way to achieve that in this situation it's not to be cheap and take care of your car by buying new shocks/struts for all 4 corners. That's how those should be replaced, new front and rear. Unless you don't care about your car or how it will ride and then yo go buy another used set and waste your time.

Bad shocks can cause a lot of issues, not just the way a car rides.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Stereodude
So they're already worn out for the next owner?
If you want to look at it that way, fine. The reason I posted was because in the INTERIM, while the OP decides which NEW components he wants for long term (which I advise along with the rest of you), this is an economical short term solution for the ONE strut that's currently bad.

Thanks for the figurative 'jab' though.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the offer(s)...I have 3 overtime shifts in Nov. and 3 more in December, 3 OT will cover a spring/strut combo and some of the install fees. So I am just going to wait it out because money is tight at the moment. It just sucks that I am on a bi-weekly payscale and it's a week behind...stupid federal job. So I may just end up waiting until spring and stash the loot aside.I know that I am gonna go with a non-adjustable strut, only because I am lazy and won't ever change the settings, unless I find a set of illumina's for cheap...as for the spring decision, everytime I think I made up my mind, I do more searching and change it again. lol.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Yeah, money seems to be the killer of all projects or maintenance. Better to wait and be happy then try to fudge it and waste the time. I have the Illuminas, but just because they're adjustable doesn't mean you have to. It's pretty simple to do in their defense. But I haven't played with mine in at least a month. At least if you have the option you can always play with it later. As far as the springs, I know I took my time before settling on a brand. The main reason I went with H&R was because I got them for next to nothing (I bought and installed HID fog lights in my friend's maxima). I would've liked to try the H-tech's, but as far as a budget went the H&R's just because I barely paid anything for them.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds like you've got your head on straight.

Don't forget that Illuminas offer more than just adjustability. They're designed to handle a lower drop than HP's, which are built as OEM replacements (with OEM ride height)

Regarding money - if you're doing a proper suspension job, I always suggest replacing the mounts, bearings and boots in the same job. I advise this for two reasons - you're in there anyway (it's part of the same job), and the NE winters absolutely wreak havoc on the rubber components of the suspension, boots especially. So estimate spending an additional $150 or so on other parts you'll need for this job. If you prefer to selectively replace, I'd rate them in the following priority (high to low) - boots first then equal weight on mounts/bearings.