5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

4DSC decal on your 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

???????????^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 AM

ive been interested in these for a while!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Or like this????!!!!

Copyright by XXX...

Lets do it!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM

The6spdMax, that's a pretty good replica of the 7th gen decal.

However, the more I look at it, the more I'm not digging the unbalanced thickness in the font, and the zorro-like design of the S. And I most definitely don't care for the traditional number 4. I like the edginess of the 4 with the disconnected shelf.

Personally, I'm liking the pre-production 7th gen decal better, without all the words:

Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 AM

John, how about this, I will just replace the orginal 4 to your edginess 4 but keep the "DSC" and the small words. I mean, its cool to keep the small words just so other people can understand right?

-Ken
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
John, how about this, I will just replace the orginal 4 to your edginess 4 but keep the "DSC" and the small words. I mean, its cool to keep the small words just so other people can understand right?
There's probably about a dozen people here who are actively interested in this thread, with varying opinions on what they'd like to see in the way of a 4DSC window decal.

Because of that diversity, I'm thinking of creating mock-ups of all the options, and starting a new thread in the General Discussions section, with voting on the options.

However, before I do that, I need to wrap my head around the mechanics and details on getting a decal custom-made. Part of that is giving Zelinski some breathing room and see what he can provide.

Patience, guys. Patience.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

I mean, its cool to keep the small words just so other people can understand right?
Well, you could argue the opposite, like Roy did earlier. It's cool to just have the abbreviation, so that only you and other Maxima owners know what it means. (Hard-core Maxima owners, that is.)
Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

the pic in post 84 looks really good!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, you could argue the opposite, like Roy did earlier. It's cool to just have the abbreviation, so that only you and other Maxima owners know what it means. (Hard-core Maxima owners, that is.)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm thinking that would be the best way to experiment with this stuff would be to make prints of different designs in various print resolutions on transparent film for the inkjet.

But that stuff is like $40 for a pack of 20 sheets!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm interested in this, whatever the outcome is.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM

geez rochester...you done started a big write up!! good shyt!! well you guys can count me in on this!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by StenholmEngineering
geez rochester...you done started a big write up!! good shyt!! well you guys can count me in on this!
It is kind of weird, huh?

Certainly it points out a universal truth: car nerds like stickers.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM

^^^ lol, it must be true ... and who knows maybe a dyno will show it adds a couple of horse power ... na, but at least one can look good!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 PM

If the "door sports car" one wins, would it be possible to not to have to apply those words when applying the decal?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM

when ready for production, count me in :-D
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by zidave
If the "door sports car" one wins, would it be possible to not to have to apply those words when applying the decal?
if its an external vinal then yeah ..should be able to ...

on that note.. if these get made i would prefer to NOT have the words'door sports car' under it... just the letters.. ..
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
if its an external vinal then yeah ..should be able to ...

on that note.. if these get made i would prefer to NOT have the words'door sports car' under it... just the letters.. ..
Mist_Max is right... if the decal elements are independent, like a vinyl cut sticker, then you can choose not to apply certain pieces.

For example, I have Brian Catt's vinyl decal on my car, but didn't care to have his URL underneath the Cattman logo, so I didn't use that.

My mechanic teases me mercilessly about this "race me" sticker, but it's my only one (on each side), it's unobtrusive, and I really like it.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 AM

Mist_Max is right... if the decal elements are independent, like a vinyl cut sticker, then you can choose not to apply certain pieces.

For example, I have Brian Catt's vinyl decal on my car, but didn't care to have his URL underneath the Cattman logo, so I didn't use that.

My mechanic teases me mercilessly about this "race me" sticker, but it's my only one (on each side), it's unobtrusive, and I really like it.

YOU have a sticker on the outside of your car

lol im shocked..good choice in stickers though lol
Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
YOU have a sticker on the outside of your car

lol im shocked..good choice in stickers though lol
Oh crap. I was somewhat hoping no one would make that association. I'm sure rroderiques77 is going to laugh his xxx off when he sees this.

Full disclosure: yes, I freely admit that I have a race-me sticker on my car. Those two Cattman Performance decals have been there for a couple years now.

I must be regressing a little as I get old.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Oh crap. I was somewhat hoping no one would make that association. I'm sure rroderiques77 is going to laugh his xxx off when he sees this.

Full disclosure: yes, I freely admit that I have a race-me sticker on my car. Those two Cattman Performance decals have been there for a couple years now.

I must be regressing a little as I get old.

Yeah right!!! You're just trying to copy me,

The right race-me stickers aren't a bad thing. I've got some NWP ones if you need them Gotta match those spacers.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 11-20-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77

Yeah right!!! You're just trying to copy me,

The right race-me stickers aren't a bad thing. I've got some NWP ones if you need them Gotta match those spacers.
Took me a while to stare at that before I realized it was on your front bumper skin, at the wrap-around to the fender. It was the aftermarket lip that threw me. I see you also passed on the URL in his decal. (I thought the web address was a bit much, too.)

Roy, you are the King of Race-Me Stickers. There's no one here that will ever dispute that.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Took me a while to stare at that before I realized it was on your front bumper skin, at the wrap-around to the fender. It was the aftermarket lip that threw me. I see you also passed on the URL in his decal. (I thought the web address was a bit much, too.)

Roy, you are the King of Race-Me Stickers. There's no one here that will ever dispute that.
Don't know about the all that, but thanks anyway.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Don't know about the all that, but thanks anyway.
Oh geeze, Roy, I don't want you to take that wrong. Your ride is painfully perfect and clean, and your decals are applied with razor precision. Just because I wouldn't go to the extent that you have, doesn't mean I don't respect the manner in which you've done it. I think you know that, but I'll say it again anyway.

Heck, I created this thread about a DECAL, so there obviously has to be some like-minded motivation.

When I said, "car nerds like stickers", I include myself in that silly club.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Oh geeze, Roy, I don't want you to take that wrong. Your ride is painfully perfect and clean, and your decals are applied with razor precision. Just because I wouldn't go to the extent that you have, doesn't mean I don't respect the manner in which you've done it. I think you know that, but I'll say it again anyway.

Heck, I created this thread about a DECAL, so there obviously has to be some like-minded motivation.

When I said, "car nerds like stickers", I include myself in that silly club.
I didn't take it the wrong way at all. Thanks again
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

remember the more stickers your car has... the faster it goes.. I remember when I had the Maxima.org decal on my car... WOW, it was really fast and had to remove it just because I was always going to fast. LOL
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
remember the more stickers your car has... the faster it goes.. I remember when I had the Maxima.org decal on my car... WOW, it was really fast and had to remove it just because I was always going to fast. LOL
This man is right.

I had some brushed silver .Org decals on my car since last winter, and the car was so fast, parts of the sticker started peeling off of the window and now my car is just a normal Maxima with headers and exhaust and minor tuning
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM

I picked up 4 individual sheets of transparent inkjet paper today at Staples for $1/ea. So I can play with various designs this weekend, and see how it actually looks on the car.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Okay I guess there is a little confusion. These will be vinyl cut just like the cattman one, NWP or maxima.org decals. They can be done in reverse if you want to apply them inside the window. There are many colors available not just white, silver, or gray. If you want a different color let me know.

I can do custom ones for you guys too. I am going to mock up this weekend a few versions. One with just 4DSC and one with the text underneath, any other special requests? Also, Rochester which font do you want? If anybody else wants a custom one shoot me a pm and I can do it up for you.

I am not doing hundreds of only one design so we dont need to pick a winner. You can have it say whatever you want, even something completely different. I will come up with a few standard designs and custom ones will cost extra. Also, these can be done in any size you want exept they can't get too small. If the letters are < 1/2" it can get expensive because the labour for prepping the decal is a *****.

Again, standard designs will be up this weekend, if you want custom shoot me a pm
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Awesome.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Okay I guess there is a little confusion. These will be vinyl cut just like the cattman one, NWP or maxima.org decals. They can be done in reverse if you want to apply them inside the window. There are many colors available not just white, silver, or gray. If you want a different color let me know.

I can do custom ones for you guys too. I am going to mock up this weekend a few versions. One with just 4DSC and one with the text underneath, any other special requests? Also, Rochester which font do you want? If anybody else wants a custom one shoot me a pm and I can do it up for you.

I am not doing hundreds of only one design so we dont need to pick a winner. You can have it say whatever you want, even something completely different. I will come up with a few standard designs and custom ones will cost extra. Also, these can be done in any size you want exept they can't get too small. If the letters are < 1/2" it can get expensive because the labour for prepping the decal is a *****.

Again, standard designs will be up this weekend, if you want custom shoot me a pm
Cut vinyl is one option. Nick has access to those materials and technology, and it's certainly welcome since he's generously offering to do that now. It might very well be the end-game, but it's also worth pursuing alternatives... whatever they are... haven't done that research yet.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-21-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM

I picked up 4 individual sheets of transparent inkjet paper today at Staples for $1/ea. So I can play with various designs this weekend, and see how it actually looks on the car.
Well, that turned out to be really, really dumb.

Maybe these transparencies work better with laser printers, but it's pretty lame on an inkjet. And it's not as if I'd ever be able to print something white.

I don't know what I was thinking. That was just stoopid.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 AM

OK, so the transparency idea was solely to get a hands-on perspective for the image against the car. That was a total bust. But you can still gain some perspective with simple prints and tape. If you use a gray background for the lettering, it blends in well enough to a window in shadow, which allows for consideration to text color and size.

The conclusions I came to are a decal where the text is only 0.5" high by 2.25" wide, in silver (light gray). The silver is less contrast-y than the white, and the size is less obtrusive than anything larger (IMO).

If you want to download a sample image that you can print, cut and tape to get an idea of what it would look like, right click here and select "save as" from the context menu of your browser. It's a 600dpi image in the colors and text size I just described.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:00 PM

How about this one??
Black with white font

Black font

What do you guys think?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM

^^^
As cut vinyl, that would only work in a much larger print, because the independent elements "DOOR SPORTS CAR" would be too small to maintain their adhesion.

However, if it were printed on a forward-facing whole sticker, then sure, anything goes. (nice mockup, 6spd.)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 PM

I would like to see it on a license plate frame
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Yea..., I just want to make a universal one so we all share the same one.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Yea..., I just want to make a universal one so we all share the same one.
I don't dismiss that intent. I'm just saying the complex image wouldn't work at 2.5" width in cut vinyl.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:29 PM

I dont know if this is what yall are looking for, but its what is on my car

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM

That's awesome

Quick Reply: 4DSC decal on your 5th Gen