5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel Clucking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 07:54 AM

Wheel Clucking Noise

Sup everyone. Hoped everyone had a good weekend. I'm having some problems with my 2K maxima. First thing was the hood rattling. Finally fixed it for the time being. Now I noticed this clunking/pinging noise when the car is going from D to R or vice versa. Only on the inital go. For example after backing up the car and goin back to drive mode, the car would go about 1 car length and the wheels or something would just go clunk or ping. Same thing happens when I go from D to R and go about 1 car length the cluck noise occurs. I was wondering who else noticed this annoying feature. I looked at all the lugs and they're all tightly on. So I don't know what is causing that clunking noise. It seems to be coming from the front. PLease help.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:31 PM

Re: Wheel Clucking Noise

Originally posted by nizmomx
Sup everyone. Hoped everyone had a good weekend. I'm having some problems with my 2K maxima. First thing was the hood rattling. Finally fixed it for the time being. Now I noticed this clunking/pinging noise when the car is going from D to R or vice versa. Only on the inital go. For example after backing up the car and goin back to drive mode, the car would go about 1 car length and the wheels or something would just go clunk or ping. Same thing happens when I go from D to R and go about 1 car length the cluck noise occurs. I was wondering who else noticed this annoying feature. I looked at all the lugs and they're all tightly on. So I don't know what is causing that clunking noise. It seems to be coming from the front. PLease help.
Hmmm I have that problem too....
Old 12-03-2001, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Wheel Clucking Noise

Originally posted by csyeo

Hmmm I have that problem too....

Did u get the problem looked at or fixed?
Old 12-03-2001, 12:52 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Are you sure the springs aren't popping? Since it's gotten colder, suspensions do make weird noises.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Are you sure the springs aren't popping? Since it's gotten colder, suspensions do make weird noises.
I am sure it wasn't springs cos it happened since I got the car and in Texas september is still pretty hot....... to be precise, that clanking noise is not like metal hitting metal... So i assume that it is the ABS brakes and the mechanics or some hydraulic stuff since it only happens during initial startup or when the car is totally cold.... but I could be wrong since I am no mechanic. But from my experience with machines, usually machines with hydraulic system, they usually make that same kind of noise during cold start. And since that noise is same, I assume so cos i saw some hydraulic stuff in my car... I do hope I am right... hehe
Old 12-03-2001, 01:02 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

had that from day one...

and that was like 6/99 or something. I thought it was the ABS purge. it only does it after sitting for a day.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:21 PM

Re: had that from day one...

Originally posted by TimW
and that was like 6/99 or something. I thought it was the ABS purge. it only does it after sitting for a day.
what is a 6/99..
i believe it is abs purge cos i usually park my car for 7-8 hours before driving.... so it is as good as parking overnight... heheheh if i only park for a short while, hat does not happen...
Old 12-03-2001, 01:43 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

that would be...

month/date that I took delivery.. or maybe it was 7/99, something like that.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:53 PM

In my case, the weather is not a factor. It does it all the time now. It feels like a loose wheel. As the car goes from one direction to another it just makes this clunk noise. I even left it on neutral and let it roll, it still does it.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by nizmomx
Maybe you have a chicken stuck in your rim...Wheel Clucking Noise
Old 12-03-2001, 04:49 PM

no wait...I got it...

It's all the pigeons lined up to get a ride in your Max.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:50 PM
RussMaxManiac

I have that problem as well. It seems from the front left, and I have yet to figure out where its coming from. I checked all the bolts, seems tight.

Old 12-03-2001, 08:56 PM
ABS

Might be CV Joint

You should check to make sure that the CV Joint boots are all still in tact. If not, then some dirt may have gotten into your CV Joint and damaged the bearings. Once this happens, you may hear strange noises when you start, stop or turn the car. You should also verify that this sound is not normal - it could just be the pump for your anti-lock brake system. If neither of these things are your problem, then I really have don't know what else it could be.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:56 AM

Found the problem......

Found the problem and what causes the clunk noise. The noise is coming from one of the front wheel. As I apply the brake when I am backing up slowly the wheel goes clunk. Then when I go to Drive and applied the brakes it goes clunk again. If I don't apply the brake it doesn't make that clunking noise. Further looking in to the problem, I see that the clunking noise is caused by gap between brake shoe and the caliper. It makes sense, that the clunking noise occurs when applying the brake either on D or R. As the car is backing up and the brake is applied, the brake pads shifts a little causing the clunk. And when the car is put on D and the car goes forward with the brake applied, the brake pads shifts a little again causing the clunk noise again. The clunking noise only happens once in every direction. After the clunk noise as the car is going in one direction it never happen again until backing up. I'm goin to ask a buddy of mine at nissan and get more info on that.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:30 PM

mine has done that since i bought the car.. i'm not too worried abotu it..
Old 12-04-2001, 06:25 PM
ABS

Not Good

If this gap is the cause of the noise, it really doesn't sound right to me. Generally speaking, there is a thin piece of steel at the top and bottom of the caliper which actually holds/guides the brake pad in toward the rotor. If these small metal parts are missing for some reason, or the pads are the wrong size, I could understand this problem occuring. However, it really shouldn't be happening with OEM pads or on new vehicles.

NizmoMX, are you using OEM or aftermaket pads?
Old 12-04-2001, 07:11 PM

This may help ya out.

Usually when I wash my max, I spray some wheel cleaner on the wheels. As I spray it off, water gets on my rotors. The next time I drive it , I always here and feel a clunking, when pulling out of the driveway. This is cause I apply my brakes while backing out. This may be happening to you. Water from the due in the early morning is getting ont your rotor. Whenever you hit your breaks, it's contacting the dried up water and clunking.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:52 AM

These are OEM pads that I'm using.
It's hard to explain what is shifting and causing the clunk noise. But I spoke to my friend at the dealership and he shed some light on the problem. The noise is due to the braking and its just one of those nissan bugs that won't go away. U can try it and see if ur front wheels does the same. Put the car on reverse and apply the brake and it will make a slight clunk noise. Then put it on drive and let the car roll and apply the brake and the brakes will go clunk again. U can almost feel it on the brake pedal. There is something shifting up and down as the rotors or the pads are moving from one direction to another. I would need to take the wheel off and take a look at the problem and I'll post why is the pads making this awful noise.

And to 2Maxed-out4u I do have that problem too after washing the car. But then this feel different.

But hey thank you for your inputs everyone.