5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What would you like to see NWP do next for the 5th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
All these terms are made up, so NWP should use an unique name. Perhaps: cold air high ram induction system with optional MAFulator or the induction mutilator.

The name itself may even provide horsepower gains
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Depends on what his trap speed is. If it is under 110 mph, the car isn't making the power I'd expect. If it is 115-120, then the car is making a lot of power but just having a hard time putting it down.

the time slip I have seen for the 12.8 run at 5psi...
1.934 trap speed
109.76 MPH
running on 17" x 9" M/T ET Street Slick
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
1.934 trap speed
109.76 MPH
Seems right at that boost, although a bit slow on the '60 foot for slicks.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

1.934 trap speed
109.76 MPH
Trap sounds about right for the ET. Decent enough for low boost.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM

c'mon guys who cares about that stupid alti... lets get back to brainstorming for NWP...

What about a custom NWP oil catch can? Should be easy enough to manufacture
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
c'mon guys who cares about that stupid alti... lets get back to brainstorming for NWP...

What about a custom NWP oil catch can? Should be easy enough to manufacture
Good call, Nick, and good idea. Added to the list.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM

how about that anti engine roll brace to fit the 00-01?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM

i think we should skip the 3" exhaust and bump up to a 3.5", and NWP headers would probably end up being a hit around the org especially if they can be cheaper than the cattman and OBX units.

rumor has it thou 4th and 5th gen exhaust are interchangeable?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hell yeah! Bring on some affordable headers.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
Hell yeah! Bring on some affordable headers.
Word, I dont want to bash Cattman but a lot of the 5th gen Maximas are worth roughly 5-7gs now. His headers alone cost about a g, + labor to install. I dont want to spend 1/5 the cost of my car to get 30 ish horsepower. For that much money you can get some really awesome upgrades on other cars.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Yeah the stock ECU runs anywhere from 19 to 25 degrees of timing during warm weather, and 25-35 degrees of timing when it's cold out at WOT. Combine that with the other benefits of cold air and I can see why the butt dyno likes it!
Sparks, maybe you can explain a littler bit... I thought that the ECU only retards/advances timing from 14 to 17 degrees? Where does 19-35 degrees come in??
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by viperboy
Sparks, maybe you can explain a littler bit... I thought that the ECU only retards/advances timing from 14 to 17 degrees? Where does 19-35 degrees come in??
That's base timing. ie; timing at idle.

19-35 degrees [partially] illustrates the timing curve at WOT from idle to redline.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
how about that anti engine roll brace to fit the 00-01?
Originally Posted by Crusher103
i think we should skip the 3" exhaust and bump up to a 3.5", and NWP headers would probably end up being a hit around the org especially if they can be cheaper than the cattman and OBX units.
Thanks, guys. Added to the list.

There's enough going on now that I went and categorized the listing.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-08-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103

rumor has it thou 4th and 5th gen exhaust are interchangeable?
I would love a 3.5" exhaust. However, I do no think there is the space. My Cattman 3" has just enough room. But still I would jump all over a 3.5" exhaust.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM

another for the list..fender braces...

and just brainstorming,.. in terms of the intake that people want with cold air being brought in.... it might be possible to fab up something that replaces the splash guard on the drivers side, and using the same mounting holes provide somewhat of a ' long scoop'..that could in theory direct/pipe air up to a filter,.. where it is partially wrapped around an open element providing shielding from the engine and colder air at the same time...I've always wanted to make something like this but never knew where to start and didnt want to make a hack job lol so instead i just removed the shield all together...only problem would be drivin in a few inches of snow
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000

and just brainstorming,.. in terms of the intake that people want with cold air being brought in.... it might be possible to fab up something that replaces the splash guard on the drivers side, and using the same mounting holes provide somewhat of a ' long scoop'..that could in theory direct/pipe air up to a filter,.. where it is partially wrapped around an open element providing shielding from the engine and colder air at the same time...I've always wanted to make something like this but never knew where to start and didnt want to make a hack job lol so instead i just removed the shield all together...only problem would be drivin in a few inches of snow
Fender braces... added.

Yeah, I bet you're thinking twice about removing that fender shield now that it's snowing. Keep an eye on that, Mist_Max.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Toolie

most of these ideas are already on the market. But plus one for the fender braces, I've had that project in the back of my mind for a while now
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Cattman will sell NWP parts at cost, so those guys already have some kind of relationship.
Crap. There goes a chance at seeing headers (that fit) that dont cost an arm a leg and a tooth.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM

You know something that would be awesome is a 3" manual cutout test pipe that bolts up to a 2.5" exhaust. Maybe offer the option for an electric one, too. I'm 100% sure it'd sell and nobody else offers one.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM

You know something that would be awesome is a 3" manual cutout test pipe that bolts up to a 2.5" exhaust. Maybe offer the option for an electric one, too. I'm 100% sure it'd sell and nobody else offers one.
Didn't the Chevy 409 from the sixties have that optional from the factory?

Clever. Something like this?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000

Unnecessary, once you are moving your intake gets plenty of cold air that comes in through the grille. Its been proven that snorkels of what you are saying actually choke the car. Your concept is good but once the car is moving the most airflow is coming from the grille area, thats why the best intake option with a snorkel is to remove the right headlight.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Summit makes a manual cut out for $30 ish shipped in a variety of sizes and are universal. That would be hard to compete with.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
Unnecessary, once you are moving your intake gets plenty of cold air that comes in through the grille. Its been proven that snorkels of what you are saying actually choke the car. Your concept is good but once the car is moving the most airflow is coming from the grille area, thats why the best intake option with a snorkel is to remove the right headlight.
If that's the case, then there has to be someone here that's actually modified their front end to support that objective. Or put a hood scoop on the driver's side...

I'm sure somebody must have done that on a transverse, FWD engine with a short-ram near the fender. You know, an air souce through the hood. I can't imagine how such a thing could be done tastefully... but I suppose with some ingenuity, something functional and inconspicuous could be designed.

Or be so insanely rice as to be shot down? (Go ahead, I kind of feel like I deserve it.)

An off-set, cold-air hood vent.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Summit makes a manual cut out for $30 ish shipped in a variety of sizes and are universal. That would be hard to compete with.
It's universal... meaning you have to get it welded into place. If aaron made a test pipe with cutout installed that fits, and comes assembled as a straight bolt in piece, it wouldn't have to compete with the universal piece.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM

If that's the case, then there has to be someone here that's actually modified their front end to support that objective. Or put a hood scoop on the driver's side...

I'm sure somebody must have done that on a transverse, FWD engine with a short-ram near the fender. You know, an air souce through the hood. I can't imagine how such a thing could be done tastefully... but I suppose with some ingenuity, something functional and inconspicuous could be designed.

Or be so insanely rice as to be shot down? (Go ahead, I kind of feel like I deserve it.)

You'd have to find a way to measure air pressure on the hood to find a good spot to do it. You wouldn't be the first person who's done it. It looks quite cheesy, but done perfectly you could probably get positive pressure on the filter at speed.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM

You'd have to find a way to measure air pressure on the hood to find a good spot to do it. You wouldn't be the first person who's done it. It looks quite cheesy, but done perfectly you could probably get positive pressure on the filter at speed.
I don't know if I would do it. The design would have to be so non-rice that it could only be appreciated, and not mocked. That's a tall order.

But it is a brainstorming activity, so...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thank you for all your support! This thread has really blown up recently. I apologize for not being able to jump in earlier. While reading through this thread, a few ideas may be a possibility.

We currently have the VQ40DE Thermal Intake Spacer Kit in development for the Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder. Once that is out of the way, I will concentrate on developing an Engine Torque Link Kit for the 6th gen Maxima. After that, other big projects can be considered. If the kit is simple to design and engineer, then it may be possibility that I can design this kit while working on the larger projects mentioned earlier.

An Oil Catch Can Kit may be a possibility. I've pondered that since the Altima VQ35 crowd has expressed interest in a kit specifically made for their engine bay. If there is enough demand, I can produce one specifically for the 5.5 and 6th gen Maxima engine bay.

We already offer full porting services as well as headwork. I just don't openly advertise it too much since it takes up a lot of my time that I like to use toward designing new products. But if anybody is serious about having this done, I can easily handle it and do a much better job than most any other Nissan oriented machinist.

Also, to produce more intakes and FSTBs isn't really want I want to do. Other companies already make those for the Maxima.

What is the need for bracing the fenders? I'm not sure what you mean by Fender Braces.

Originally Posted by SteveB123
NWP's forte is unique, machined products.

There are already plenty of intakes, rear sway bars, FSTB's, pulleys (both cheap and not cheap), springs, wheel spacers and coilovers. I just don't think he has the manufacturing resources to compete against Chinese intakes and spacers, Progress for springs and sway bars, Tein/H&R/Eibach/Megan for the rest.
Yes, I like to stick with designing parts that have never been made before instead of trying to compete with other companies. Otherwise, I'd already have a battery tie down and FSTB added to the list of NWP products.

I can compete with Chinese knockoffs, but the quality would have to be reduced drastically and I'd have to outsource all my fabricating and machining outside the country. Sacrificing product quality is something I am not willing to do. The Maxima deserves the best.

Right now, NWP Engineering products are 100% made within the USA. I hope to keep it that way.

Cattman will sell NWP parts at cost, so those guys already have some kind of relationship.
NWP does have a relationship with Cattman. They resell the NWP Thermal Intake Spacers. It's just one more way to advertise for NWP. But he doesn't sell any NWP parts "at cost". Cattman's price is the same as NWP.

Back on topic...

...what about another torque link connector for the back side of the engine?
There really isn't a need to brace the engine any further than what has already been designed. Once the engine is locked into position, there's no way to make it better. 400+whp Maximas are having a lot of fun with the NWP Engine Torque Link. It's proven itself to easily hold up to the highest HP engines out there.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Thank you for all your support! This thread has really blown up recently. I apologize for not being able to jump in earlier. While reading through this thread, a few ideas may be a possibility.
Glad you're enjoying it, Aaron.

No expectations from most of us here, just thought I'd throw the "what else?" idea out there and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
NWP does have a relationship with Cattman. They resell the NWP Thermal Intake Spacers. It's just one more way to advertise for NWP. But he doesn't sell any NWP parts "at cost". Cattman's price is the same as NWP.
That's what I meant... at our cost. I didn't mean to infer otherwise. One of the contributing factors to purchasing your spacers was Brian Catt's endorsement that he sells them for you. So in that respect, your advertising worked!

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM

here you go aaron- some good pics in there. . . http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...er-braces.html

i would like to see some traction rods,.. as im sure the altima guys would be into them too...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Lolol not really a bad idea. Its just that from what I've seen the air flowing in from the grille into the bad has nearly the exact same air temperature as outside. Thus a snorkel idea isnt drawing you any colder air than air coming from the grille.

It's universal... meaning you have to get it welded into place. If aaron made a test pipe with cutout installed that fits, and comes assembled as a straight bolt in piece, it wouldn't have to compete with the universal piece.
Mine came with connectors but yes the best way is a weld. You are correct but cut outs are fairly pointless on completely stock exhaust, you gotta have at least some aftermarket piping. Thus NWPs cut out pipe cant really be specifically made as all the aftermarket exhausts are a bit different, and Aaron would be engineering it to fit another companies pipe. This is probably why Summits universal dump pipe is the most popular I've seen.

In terms of exhaust the thing we need most is an affordable NWP header option, that would be most boss. I also wouldnt mind a NWP lip or other body kit pieces for that matter.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Definetely in for some more port work, that's for darn sure.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Toolie

for fender braces I was thinking along the lines of the braces in the engine bay from the old 60's and 70's cars. What i'd also like to see is an FSTB that also bolts to the firewall as well as both front strut towers.

you can just barely see the chrome plated braces, they brace the fender to the front upper rad support.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...ants-some.html

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...er-braces.html

Last edited by SteveB123; 12-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Lolol not really a bad idea. Its just that from what I've seen the air flowing in from the grille into the bad has nearly the exact same air temperature as outside. Thus a snorkel idea isnt drawing you any colder air than air coming from the grille.
If the box can be 'sealed' well enough and the snorkel positioned in a high pressure zone with a minimally restrictive design, it could provide positive pressure to the filter/engine. While the positive pressure will not show benefits on a dyno (unless it's in a climatic wind tunnel) it should show gains in acceleration tests (drag).

I would also think the snorkel/box design would minimize heat soak, although I don't know how warm this area gets. So it could also be beneficial for autocross and drag racing where there a periods of rest.

Plus, if you make the snorkel in carbon fiber ricers will think the car gained 25+ horsepower.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Mine came with connectors but yes the best way is a weld. You are correct but cut outs are fairly pointless on completely stock exhaust, you gotta have at least some aftermarket piping. Thus NWPs cut out pipe cant really be specifically made as all the aftermarket exhausts are a bit different, and Aaron would be engineering it to fit another companies pipe. This is probably why Summits universal dump pipe is the most popular I've seen.
Are you confused? The place for the catalytic converter, or test pipe, is the exact same length on every single aftermarket exhaust option for us. All header/Ypipe options end in the same place the stock Y-pipe ends, and all B-pipes start in the same place, with that (what 12"?) gap. It would be quite universal, even on a fully stock exhaust... which would not be a common application, anyway. People who already have headers/Ypipes would be the most common to buy such a piece.

If you don't understand why a direct bolt-in piece would sell, compared with buying generic stuff and needing cutting and clamping or welding to install, then there is no point in continuing debate with you.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM

If you don't understand why a direct bolt-in piece would sell, compared with buying generic stuff and needing cutting and clamping or welding to install, then there is no point in continuing debate with you.
Sure, it would sell on a comparative basis.
But how much would it sell on an absolute basis?

How much of a market is there for custom exhaust cut outs for a 7-10 year old 4 door sport sedan?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

for fender braces I was thinking along the lines of the braces in the engine bay from the old 60's and 70's cars.
My '74 Z/28 had those. Not sure how much it helped because they came with the car.

How about a huge snorkel scoop for our hoods.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
How about a huge snorkel scoop for our hoods.
I think this would be an absolute hit with the Maxima Community!!

Well... atleast for all the "ballers" with 20"+ chrome rims
Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Well... atleast for all the "ballers" with 20"+ chrome rims
I want that and fender vents. Aaron, make it happen!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM

You guys have no idea how embarrassed I am right now for bringing this crap up. Boy, look at that scoop. God bless the USA.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see NWP do next for the 5th Gen?