5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service questions on 01 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Service questions on 01 GLE

Car Specs:
01 GLE Auto
184K miles
Stock.

With some holiday time off coming up, I am planning to do some yearly maintenance on her.

1. I have had my H&R's for about 15K miles now, but tired of the ride quality. So I bought some SE springs and will put them in with the Illuminas. The front strut mount hardware including bump stops is about 5K miles old so I will reuse that. Buying net new hardware for the back.

2. Doing belts. do you folks suggest putting in a new idler pulley while I am doing that? The pulley on there is metal one and it has never been changed. I checked on rockauto and they have Dayco, Gates and ACDelco. Any preferance in brand?

3. Trans drain + fill. It will also be the first time I will drop the pan and clean up the magnets. Will def take pics and post up here. Does the 3.0 have a pan gasket or FIPG?

4. I did do a Brake Bleed and Coolant drain and fill this year so that part is taken care off.

Is there anything else I can add to the list?

Input appreciated.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM

I will add the following to the list.

1) New air filter (nothing brings a car back to life than an air filter).
2) New fuel filter (if u haven't changed it before it is a must, a 100K item).
3) Clean ABS sensors (be nice to them) and Revolution sensor with brake fluid.
4) Clean MAF with CRC cleaner, it is good.
5) New plugs (I do them every 60-80K).
6) Flush coolant the right way with Nissan Long Life Coolant (search for my thread on how to flush w/o draining the block).
7) Do a PS flush.

Thats all that I can think off!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Get new magnets (dont use the old ones) and get the OEM gasket, I used one of those corky things and had to drop my pan again just to replace the gasket since it was seeping and making a mess.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks man.

1) New air filter (nothing brings a car back to life than an air filter).
I check this item every 3 months during OC so def a keep in mind item.

2) New fuel filter (if u haven't changed it before it is a must, a 100K item).
Its good you reminded me about this one. I have a fuel filter actually sitting in the garage. I bought it when the car had 130K miles but i was always nervous about doing it. I guess time to do it this time around.

3) Clean ABS sensors (be nice to them) and Revolution sensor with brake fluid.
do I simply get the wheels off and lightly bursh them? or is there a specific how to?

4) Clean MAF with CRC cleaner, it is good.
Will add this to the list too.

5) New plugs (I do them every 60-80K).
Yes sir, got a set of laser iridiums ready to go in. I generally put new plugs every 35K-40K miles.

6) Flush coolant the right way with Nissan Long Life Coolant (search for my thread on how to flush w/o draining the block).
I did do a drain and fill this yr with regular prestone. I'll look into your how to. Thanks for the heads up.

7) Do a PS flush.
Do you have a how-to on this? The only one I have seen is the one with a turkey baster. I also suspect I have a whine coming from the motor area and currently assuming it might be the PS pump or alternator!

Do I need to goto dealership for magnets and gasket?

also, any thoughts about the idler pulley?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

whatever you do with the tranny, use factory parts including the gasket, dont use cheap stuff, not good. No need to replace the magnets.. clean them and re-use them... do the list you have an d you should be good. I fyou need a How to to do the Drop pan.. look at mi sig.. good luck
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM

PS Flush
=====

The best way to change it is as follows,

1) Take off the return line and it will drain the reservior and point the return line to a bucket.
2) Raise the front of vehicle so that the front wheels are off the ground
3) Turn the ignition to ACC to power the pump (DONOT run the engine).
4) Do steering locks which will push out the fluid from the pump and rack via the return line. Do this till nothing comes off the return line, put back the return line to the reservior.
5) Fill the reservior with new ATF while doing steering locks, this will suck new AFT into the pump and rack. Do this until you don't have to fill the reserivor.

Now turn the engine ON and do steering locks (10 times, left and right) and push out the air from the system. Top it off, lower the vehicle and done!!!

Coolant Flush
========

1) Remove lower radiator hose (LRH) and drain radiator and reconnect.
2) Remove block bolts and drain block and keep heat to high with blower set highest.
3) If the block bolts are hard to get, then fill radiator with distilled water, remove upper radiator hose (URH) and plug the upper radiator hole at the radiator end with towel. Connect a water hose the one I got was from Home Depot for $5 and of 4 ft length, it is deep blue in color which fits snuggly onto the URH and clamp it and point the extended hose to a gallon bucket. Start car and keep filling the radiator with distilled water while thermostat opens and sends out the coolant out of the block via the URH to the gallon bucket.
4) Run thro 4G of distilled water, and after sometime its only water that comes off the URH.
5) Stop and reconnect URH and drain radiator. Fill it will full strength Nissan Long Life Coolant (about 1G).
6) Block has distilled water and radiator full strenght coolant (total capacity is 7.1L including heater)
7) Start car and have it cycle thro for the water and coolant to mix.
8) Fill overflow tank completely with 1/2L coolant and distilled water.
9) Purge remaining air in system by taking off the radiator cap and with the front of the engine raised (driverthro or ramps) and keep running for 30 min.
10) All air is out of the closed loop system. Fill overflow tank to full and check levels for a week.

Done.!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Thank you so much guys!

Here is my final list:
1. Swap out H&R's for Stock SE springs for good (Need to sell sparingly used H&R soon after LOL)
2. Swap out rear Strut mounts and hardware
3. Trans drain + fill & pan gasket
4. Both Belts and idler pulley
5. Fuel filter
6. Air Filter
7. New Spark Plugs
8. Add some more closed cell foam for sound deadening on doors, rear deck and sun roof shade.
9. Add foam strips to redo rear window wind noise.
10. Clean MAF.

I also know my alternator is still stock. Previous owner has it replaced at about 37K miles under warranty for some reason. Are there any pointers to look for, to check is it needs to be swapped?

I'm curious to see how the trans pan is going to look Its the first time in 184K miles it will be dropped.