5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Huge engine clunk and other maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
DOM

Huge engine clunk and other maintenance questions

Here are my problems~

1) A month ago I changed one of my serpentine belts but I couldn't reach the bolt (through the wheel well too) because my wrench was too small. I put the A/C belt on and started the car. It didn't seem loose and was a nice fit. Over the past month though when I turn on the car, there is a loud shreik sound that also happens when I turn or have the heater on when the car is not yet warm. I checked the car this morning and my belt are gone.

2) This morning I turned on the car in unusually cold weather and there was a pretty big clunk in the engine but after the clunk, everything ran fine. I turn off the car and turn it on again and I get the same loud clunk.

3) I haven't ever changed the spark plugs after 126k miles. Can someone point me to the wrench and extensions used to change the hard to reach spark plug?

4) For the past few months, when I turn on my car the starter gets stuck open so there is a bad sound coming from there.

I found the write up on the starter. Can anyone diagnose a nasty clunking sound when starting the car up? Can anyone give me links to the tools and extensions you used to change your spark plugs and serpentine belts?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Reading through the post, I kind of squirm, the clunking and the noises...are you a DIY'er? The right tools are necessary to do a DIY. Do not dis-assemble anything when you are not sure that you have the right tools. Go to Autozone, Advance Auto and show them what you want done, they will sell or lend you the right tools.

With the descriptions you stated, it will be hard to diagnose.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
DOM

I can read instructions and I would rather do it myself than pay someone a lot of money to do it. Links to tools that you used?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM

I have not tried doing the Max so I really do not have an idea of what to use. However I do have multiple set of tools which I believe can cover whatever I need to tackle a DIY job. I usually get some of the special tools at Harbor Freight, they are reasonably priced and although so-so quality are worth it for 1 time use.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Engine clunking from my experiences tends to be bad motor mounts. They hold the motor still, so if its clunking its probably moving around.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DOM
Here are my problems~

1) A month ago I changed one of my serpentine belts but I couldn't reach the bolt (through the wheel well too) because my wrench was too small. I put the A/C belt on and started the car. It didn't seem loose and was a nice fit. Over the past month though when I turn on the car, there is a loud shreik sound that also happens when I turn or have the heater on when the car is not yet warm. I checked the car this morning and my belt are gone.

2) This morning I turned on the car in unusually cold weather and there was a pretty big clunk in the engine but after the clunk, everything ran fine. I turn off the car and turn it on again and I get the same loud clunk.

3) I haven't ever changed the spark plugs after 126k miles. Can someone point me to the wrench and extensions used to change the hard to reach spark plug?

4) For the past few months, when I turn on my car the starter gets stuck open so there is a bad sound coming from there.

I found the write up on the starter. Can anyone diagnose a nasty clunking sound when starting the car up? Can anyone give me links to the tools and extensions you used to change your spark plugs and serpentine belts?
well.. i changed my serpentine belt about a month ago .. after about 2 weeks and a couple of rainy days i had really squeaky belts. so I just adjusted it tighten it up a little more.. the reason of the squeaks is because the material of the belt will stretch a little on the first few weeks..

my 2 cents.