5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Deciding on a car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Guys, lay off the OP about the stick shift already! All your comments about driving a MT are spot on, but that doesn't matter... his parents are calling the shots. So all you're doing is setting this guy up for regrets. (Right, Hustler? How many times have you written about transmission regret? More times than I can count.)

The thing to focus on here is the OP's decision to buy a 5.5 gen. Damn fine decision, too. Well done with your first-car research.

Now, doing so with a salvage car... that's fair game for advice. My advice, hit up AutoTrader with your budget in mind. Get on a bus for where-ever, and drive home in your new Maxima.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Guys, lay off the OP about the stick shift already! All your comments about driving a MT are spot on, but that doesn't matter... his parents are calling the shots. So all you're doing is setting this guy up for regrets. (Right, Hustler? How many times have you written about transmission regret? More times than I can count.)

The thing to focus on here is the OP's decision to buy a 5.5 gen. Damn fine decision, too. Well done with your first-car research.

Now, doing so with a salvage car... that's fair game for advice. My advice, hit up AutoTrader with your budget in mind. Get on a bus for where-ever, and drive home in your new Maxima.
Well having experience with salvaged cars, I think a lot of money is saved. My idea was to get a car in spring (damaged= cheap) than have like a half a year to fix and register until i get my permit.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM

If you have trouble finding a good salvaged 5th gen Maxima you could probably find a non-salvaged 8th Gen V6 Galants ('99-'03) for around $3k.

They aren't as good as Maxima's but the V6's have ABS, they are usually about $1k+ cheaper than Maxima's and they're solid cars. But they also have timing belts (vs chains in Maximas) so take that into consideration.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by xuimod
If you have trouble finding a good salvaged 5th gen Maxima you could probably find a non-salvaged 8th Gen V6 Galants ('99-'03) for around $3k.

They aren't as good as Maxima's but the V6's have ABS, they are usually about $1k+ cheaper than Maxima's and they're solid cars. But they also have timing belts (vs chains in Maximas) so take that into consideration.
Really??? I would rather have a 4th gen...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Really??? I would rather have a 4th gen...
I guess I might take a 4th Gen Max over a 8th Gen V6 Galant....but age of the car might be a factor for him and his parents, 4th Gen Max's are over 10 years old. 4th Gen Max goes from '95-'99 iirc while 8th Gen Galant goes from '99-'03.

Just giving the OP some ideas of other cars to consider about the same age.

Last edited by xuimod; 01-15-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 PM

The Galant was in class with the Altima, not the Maxima. You need to step up to the Diamante to make that comparison. I know you said "not as good", but that's because they're a different class of cars. So yeah, a newer Galant would equate in cost to an older Maxima.

But then you're stuck driving a Galant. And that's no fun for anyone.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM

The Galant was in class with the Altima, not the Maxima. You need to step up to the Diamante to make that comparison. I know you said "not as good", but that's because they're a different class of cars.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Diamantes. They are pretty cheap as well (but I would still choose a 5th Gen Max ).

But if price is a stumbling block for the OP, Diamantes are worth a look.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:09 PM

The Diamante was kind of hot and edgy, almost pimp-ish. Unique, too, implying they didn't sell well, or were overpriced (or both).

IMO
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by xuimod
I guess I might take a 4th Gen Max over a 8th Gen V6 Galant....but age of the car might be a factor for him and his parents, 4th Gen Max's are over 10 years old. 4th Gen Max goes from '95-'99 iirc while 8th Gen Galant goes from '99-'03.

Just giving the OP some ideas of other cars to consider about the same age.
4th gen maxima is out of the way cus my mom has one and im planning to sell it or keep it as a beater..
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

my advice is to stay away from a salvaged vehicle, unless you have a team of experienced guys to get advice/help/tools from.
IMO, the 5.5 is the sexiest Maxima ever (in stock form).
that said, would you be willing to reconsider buying a 5.5 in favor of a 4th or 3rd gen? they can be incredibly cheap (saw a 93 GXE for sale locally for $250, needs trans; 97 (not sure which badge) for $1100, can't remember what was wrong, but relatively simple to fix, looked nice). buying a car with mechanical/electrical problems to fix gives you the wrench time you seem to want, versus a salvage vehicle (typically frame damage), which will have operational safety concerns, even when done by pros (hence the salvage titles), and even despite being checked off by the inspectors (who are just looking over the car, anyway).

as to the AT/MT argument, unless you drive somewhere with heavy traffic, I support researching the pros and cons, to develop a good, solid argument in favor of the MT (with a respectful attitude, of course)

edit: ok about the mom's car; parts car, mebe? buy it off her? lol
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM

you and i see eye to eye for the most part but for a 15 yr old, a 5.5 gen is way to fast a car for a kid. he needs a civic or sentra..

)

Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
my advice is to stay away from a salvaged vehicle, unless you have a team of experienced guys to get advice/help/tools from.
that said, would you be willing to reconsider buying a 5.5 in favor of a 4th or 3rd gen? they can be incredibly cheap (saw a 93 GXE for sale locally for $250, needs trans; 97 (not sure which badge) for $1100, can't remember what was wrong, but relatively simple to fix, looked nice). buying a car with mechanical/electrical problems to fix gives you the wrench time you seem to want, versus a salvage vehicle (typically frame damage), which will have operational safety concerns, even when done by pros (hence the salvage titles), and even despite being checked off by the inspectors (who are just looking over the car, anyway).

as to the AT/MT argument, unless you drive somewhere with heavy traffic, I support researching the pros and cons, to develop a good, solid argument in favor of the MT (with a respectful attitude, of course)

As stated, yes i do have many people and places i know that charge very cheap in damage and frame repair.. For example a guy we know charged us to change most of the bent valves and take apart the whole engine and put it back perfectly for $300, this job originally costs 10 times more what was charged. so i have no problem in these cases.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
you and i see eye to eye for the most part but for a 15 yr old, a 5.5 gen is way to fast a car for a kid. he needs a civic or sentra..
haha i know what you mean. but having both experience with my brothers audi and my dads 2008 accord, i think it's not a problem on how fast the car is. I was thinking of a lexus is300, and dont know if icould get one for $3000 in a salvage auction.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM

no point buying it off, we bought it salvaged and rebuilt it years ago. So my parents dont think thats a good enough car for me. Like need something newer and peppy.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Turbo'd Saab

so at 15 your planning to have 2 v6 cars?

something is seriously wrong with this picture
Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
so at 15 your planning to have 2 v6 cars?

something is seriously wrong with this picture
if you add them together you get v12?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM

if you add them together you get v12?
no just 1 car lol.. my dad was thinking of keeping the 4th gen maxima as a beater in case any car in the family breaks down..
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM

I think we usually do, Hotshot. Although if he were my kid, I'd probably be encouraging him to get a respectable ride so we could enjoy that together.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

agreed!! I remember when I was 17 and just started driving. I learned how to drive on my mom's then automatic '96 i30. Having never driven before I was like this thing is fast

I can only imagine what I would have said if I drove a 5.5 for the first time.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM

lol, i got an 02 as my first car at 16, it's fuuunnn, still is at 18
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
I can only imagine what I would have said if I drove a 5.5 for the first time.
AWESOME!!! ?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 02SEMax
lol, i got an 02 as my first car at 16, it's fuuunnn, still is at 18
Same here. My 5.5 was the first car I ever purchased. I picked mine up last january when I was still 17 years old. One year later, and I couldn't be happier.

I can understand where many of you are coming from arguing against a young teenager buying a 5.5 gen as a first car. Although, in his case he really wont be making a large investment, so im all for it.

OP: If a 5.5 is really what you want, go for it. You will not regret it
Old 01-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Again like somebody said... the 6spd isn't "significantly faster" but there are mods you can get for the auto... but reguarldess in the end mod for mod a 6spd is faster, more fun and really does make u better at driving.... I have a auto and see the times in my sig..... wanna buy my max???
wow, how did you make an automatic maxima that fast? details please..
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by sports265
no just 1 car lol.. my dad was thinking of keeping the 4th gen maxima as a beater in case any car in the family breaks down..
Just generally curious, is the Max you're planning to buy going to be your 'toy' car as in, hook up/upgrade? Or is it to be a daily driver?

I'm asking b/c it seems you already have a Max at your disposal...at least in the interim.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Just generally curious, is the Max you're planning to buy going to be your 'toy' car as in, hook up/upgrade? Or is it to be a daily driver?

I'm asking b/c it seems you already have a Max at your disposal...at least in the interim.
well it's going to be my toy car/ daily driver because i plan to have a job to pay for insurance and gas and the modifications. Maybe if i end up with an automatic i will get used to driving and sell it and buy a manual, because the auto might be fast enough for me until i get enough experience. At the same time i will probably get profit.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM

Interestingly enough I was reading the same type of thread over on another car forum I frequent.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=302726

/speechless
Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 PM

my first car was a 740IL. E38.

man that car was fun, but still spun it like crazy a lot of times.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSE
my first car was a 740IL. E38.

man that car was fun, but still spun it like crazy a lot of times.
I would like you to know that I greatly appreciate your signature photo.

As for the OP, GL! Have fun if you get it and fix it up (or get one in good condition.) Would love a 5.5, but at 16, I just got a 5th gen (inherited from the parentals) and the mother got a 06 Murano. Hopefully for my 17th birthday (in June) I'll get new headlights? and foglights? New tails? Maybe I'll do those and I'll get some suspension mods?

Getting myself too excited now.

Again, have fun, but don't kill yourself.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by JonMcJunkin
I would like you to know that I greatly appreciate your signature photo.
Yeah, it's sure is cute.

However, at 3.3 mb, I'm shocked the moderators haven't taken it down yet. Seriously... 3.3 mb. That's a WTF-were-you-thinking? kind of stat.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Yeah, it's sure is cute.

However, at 3.3 mb, I'm shocked the moderators haven't taken it down yet. Seriously... 3.3 mb. That's a WTF-were-you-thinking? kind of stat.
Haha, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, one of the best shows on TV as of recently.

Originally Posted by mcmaklin
I like your signature photo very much
Can you say trend setter!
(I'm going to pretend this comment is directed at me for my own personal satisfaction )
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM

17 here with My max near 235whp.. It's really not that fast.. That's just my opinion. I think for a 16 year old if he's driven an 08 accord a auto 5.5 gen shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion it's more maturity level than experience.. Don't get me wrong experience is HUGE especially with building confidence HOWEVER I see alot more riced up civics getting in wrecks than I do maximas/corvettes/etc etc. We will all more than likely get involved in an accident. However BOTH experience and maturity will be the key factors. Maturity being huge, especially with male drives because we think we know everything and we own the road.. Rawr...

I was stupid also, started with a 00 buick century and now i'm at my max. I have had close calls and have certainly done stupid things as almost all of us have. You'll quickly learn it's not a game and it is all serious business so if you do get a 5.5 gen be careful. they are powerful.. Just not as strong as everyone makes it out to be. Anyways that's what I have to say. Time to get flammed
Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
17 here with My max near 235whp.. It's really not that fast.. That's just my opinion. I think for a 16 year old if he's driven an 08 accord a auto 5.5 gen shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion it's more maturity level than experience.. Don't get me wrong experience is HUGE especially with building confidence HOWEVER I see alot more riced up civics getting in wrecks than I do maximas/corvettes/etc etc. We will all more than likely get involved in an accident. However BOTH experience and maturity will be the key factors. Maturity being huge, especially with male drives because we think we know everything and we own the road.. Rawr...

I was stupid also, started with a 00 buick century and now i'm at my max. I have had close calls and have certainly done stupid things as almost all of us have. You'll quickly learn it's not a game and it is all serious business so if you do get a 5.5 gen be careful. they are powerful.. Just not as strong as everyone makes it out to be. Anyways that's what I have to say. Time to get flammed
hey man thats some good inspiration.. Well the main cars i was thinking to pick were honda,acura,nissan,toyota,maybe bmw.. Ones that are nice and reliable for a good salvage cost.. I understand i am getting a nice boost by my parents helping me get a car at such an early age, but work would need to be put in.. Also lots of researching... Only if there was a way to convince to get manual, but automatic would do i gues.. thx