5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.0 headers/ y-pipe on a 3.5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM

o.k lemme rephrase my statement cause i dont see why i need to un install my headers to do cattman headers when there is over 1000 different 5.5 gens with cattman headers here, but anyways lemme rephrase... I Grand_hustle17 did what everybody was afraid of doing in installing an unequal length y-pipe and prove that they made similar gains to cattmans headers NO i did not install OBX headers then dynoed then installed cattman and dynoed, however based off of every single person who is N/A who has dynoed and posted their dyno graphs on the dyno section there was an average number of mid 230's to low 240's (some a little bit less and some a little bit more) My mods at dyno was a Ebay 4th gen intake, 2.5" non mandrel bent catback with a broken cattman muffler and OBX 3.0 unequal length y pipe and headers, nothing more nothing less, and got 238whp, 232tq, i have a video of such dyno but its on my facebook page cause i was tagged in it so it probebly wont let me post here for security reasons but will try at the end of this post..... I Grand_hustle17 also went to the track to run the car and that video is located in my signature, now if that is not sufficient evidence as to why i said what i said, then i just dont know how to prove anything, yet people believe by just looking then it makes more power ... anyways if you want any proof i took as much pics as i can and vids as i can, feel free to ask me, not even in a private msg, but right here, nothing to hide..........
Hopefully this Dyno video works, ill try lowering my privacy settings on there... bare in mind also with the dyno run, we forgot to turn the fans on............ anything else said is bullish, again... /Thread

Dyno vids
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...subj=509049946

Pics of axleback

and just in case u dont believe that i have the headers listed (as if thats something to lie about)

Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM

again im tryna be as clear as possible, whenever somebosy dynoes a car, they will come up with different numbers e.g (in this case im using hotshot VQ and sparksmax) both with cattman intake headers and and exhaust, both with the same mileage even the same color if that matters... if both goes on the exact same dyno on the exact same day with the exact same weather they will be couple horsepowers off and that just the way it is... no car dynoed the exact same horsepower everytime so that cant be blamed on just the headers... butter yet if sparksmax or hotshot had both headers they wont dyno the same numbers just the way things work, the reason i went with the average number vs a specific
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

When did I say you needed to deinstall your OBX headers and install cattman headers? I made no assertion even remotely close to that and putting words in my mouth is getting you nowhere and making you look quite dull. You continue to ignore and/or exaggerate what I am saying without actually responding to anything logically as a very ineffective means of arguing.

My points remain as physical evidence that there is a performance difference between the OBX and Cattman designs, even if you only acknowledge the Y-pipe diameter and completely ignore everything else discussed. This is fact that is not contestable. What is contestable is exactly how much is gained, and I'd wager it's not very much at all. For all we know due to piping diameters, collector designs, and piping lengths, these 2 headers may have gains over each other in different parts of the powerband. Regardless of specifics, it can easily be proven that up to a certain point piping diameter provides substantial gains and there is a large cross-sectional difference between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2" piping.

Let me say this yet again: The OBX headers give great gains over stock, and are nearly half the price of cattman's headers. The cattman headers give great gains over stock, but have performance design characteristics that make them more desirable at a very steep cost. Whether that steep cost increase is worth it to you is purely a matter of your decision.

Bang for buck the OBX are an obvious better choice. Plus with the money you save, you could probably have a 3" Y-pipe custom made for the OBX headers and actually beat them in power output for less total cost.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Ugh, I thought everyone was over this whole header argument...

It's getting started over less than nothing.

Buy what you like, dyno it, if you're still happy with it by then, to you. I've got the v2OBX with equal length Y, and I have Cattman product on my car as well.

People don't even get this wound up about coilovers. The Tein SS owners don't try and hate on the K-sport guys and the K-sport guys aren't trying to say Tein SS is a ripoff.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
People don't even get this wound up about coilovers.
Well I can tell you this for sure, there's no one wound up in this house... Others I can't speak for.

Headers are a big debate item on all forums as designs can have radically different results. I don't think this is so much the case with OBX vs Cattman, but people stating there are no performance differences at all is simply wrong. When I see misinformation, I post and say what I have to say in response.

I keep stating that there is nothing wrong with OBX, and I am pointing out the differences between the two designs. In doing that, I seem to have gotten some avid OBX owners very angry for absolutely no reason.

edit: Again, I am not "hating on" anybody, just getting facts straight. If that is unbearable then I don't know what to say....

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-23-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM

who the hell uses those damn 3.0 headers on a 3.5?!?!?!? what type of moron.......
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
who the hell uses those damn 3.0 headers on a 3.5?!?!?!? what type of moron.......
Old 01-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Ill be at maxus taking on all challenges NA auto or 6spd..... like all headers thread, dumb....
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM

silly auto thinks he can beat a 6spd
Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103

I have 3.5 headers on my 3.0 with my egr deleted

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I have headers that cross over the tranny and are unequal length y-pipe...but I have a 3" downpipe

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Again... ill take on any 6spd or auto at maxus... beat me and have ur bragging rights... I don't care...... official call out Grand_hustle17 vs any NA 5.5 on maxima.org (except the locals from dc section) ANYBODY.... again ANY 5.5 NA auto or 6spd................. /Thread
Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
.................................................. ....
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Again... ill take on any 6spd or auto at maxus... beat me and have ur bragging rights... I don't care...... official call out Grand_hustle17 vs any NA 5.5 on maxima.org (except the locals from dc section) ANYBODY.... again ANY 5.5 NA auto or 6spd................. /Thread
what about my custom USDM 6.5gen with a 3.8L
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Dang you're such an E-thug. I feel so threatened I could pee myself.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Grand's PB Time:
13.84@100 2.1'

Sparks PB Time:
13.01@106

Just sayin'
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Turbo'd Saab

nobody wants to try the L32?

I plan to have Stage 2 heads, 1.95 Rockers, headers, 3" downpipe, cutout, 3.5" intake, ported LIM/SC, Phenolic spacers, 3.0" pulley, 100 shot, raised compression from 10.0 to 10.5...anybody wanna try me?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

ugh, both of you stop acting like children. If I had the money, I woulda got cattman, do I feel like I lost power though with obx? no, not at all. I DEFINTELY noticed good performance gain so over 1-3whp difference with different weather conditions and TONS of other variables, sure cattman might be made "better" because their welds are "cleaner" and sure obx isn't perfect fitment depending on what kind of make you get, HOWEVER BOTTOM LINE THEY BOTH PROVIDE SIMILAR GAINS. Those with cattman will brag about having cattman, those with obx will brag about having OBX. Damn children on this forum. WHO GIVES A SHI% what you have it's YOUR CAR. Voice your opinion for the op and leave it at that don't start a never ending pointless childish argument about it.

Grow up people, they're just headers, and it's just a car, and they are VERY similar with power gains. PERIOD!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Sparks= probebly more than 10 power mods that Grand_hustle has yet to install..... again I don't really care what anybody's personal best is and I'm not tryna be a E-thug, ask all the ppl on here who met me, I'm the coolest person ever and there's probebly nothing y'all can say to make me angry... again I make my statement for the last time I will run ANY, NA 5th gen, 5.5 gen 5.75 gen whatever y'all classify it as... drunkie we can run but my comments weren't for a pontiac..............
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
ugh, both of you stop acting like children. If I had the money, I woulda got cattman, do I feel like I lost power though with obx? no, not at all. I DEFINTELY noticed good performance gain so over 1-3whp difference with different weather conditions and TONS of other variables, sure cattman might be made "better" because their welds are "cleaner" and sure obx isn't perfect fitment depending on what kind of make you get, HOWEVER BOTTOM LINE THEY BOTH PROVIDE SIMILAR GAINS. Those with cattman will brag about having cattman, those with obx will brag about having OBX. Damn children on this forum. WHO GIVES A SHI% what you have it's YOUR CAR. Voice your opinion for the op and leave it at that don't start a never ending pointless childish argument about it.

Grow up people, they're just headers, and it's just a car, and they are VERY similar with power gains. PERIOD!
So I'm a child because I pointed out key differences between the 2 header designs in order to help OP with his choice? I am not bragging about cattman or calling OBX crap, seriously read back over my posts and get your head out of your @ss.

Sparks= probebly more than 10 power mods that Grand_hustle has yet to install..... again I don't really care what anybody's personal best is and I'm not tryna be a E-thug, ask all the ppl on here who met me, I'm the coolest person ever and there's probebly nothing y'all can say to make me angry... again I make my statement for the last time I will run ANY, NA 5th gen, 5.5 gen 5.75 gen whatever y'all classify it as... drunkie we can run but my comments weren't for a pontiac..............
I don't even have 10 power mods in the first place...
Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
My points remain as physical evidence that there is a performance difference between the OBX and Cattman designs, even if you only acknowledge the Y-pipe diameter and completely ignore everything else discussed. This is fact that is not contestable. What is contestable is exactly how much is gained, and I'd wager it's not very much at all. For all we know due to piping diameters, collector designs, and piping lengths, these 2 headers may have gains over each other in different parts of the powerband. Regardless of specifics, it can easily be proven that up to a certain point piping diameter provides substantial gains and there is a large cross-sectional difference between 2 1/4" (OBX Y-pipe) and 2 1/2" (Cattman Y-pipe) piping.

Again we're not talking about FSB's or intake pipes, the design and cleanup of interior welds around collectors are extremely important to performance and if you just look at pictures of the cattman VS obx collectors you will instantly see the difference. The OBX collectors are very short and stubby (probably to keep cost down), while the cattmans use a longer and smoother collector design. It would be great to see a direct dyno comparison, though. From looking around on other car forums, the OBX headers are generally known to make less power than the high quality ones because of the poor/short collector design...

Let me say this yet again: The OBX headers give great gains over stock, and are nearly half the price of cattman's headers. The cattman headers give great gains over stock, but have performance design characteristics that make them more desirable at a very steep cost. Whether that steep cost increase is worth it to you is purely a matter of your decision.

Bang for buck the OBX are an obvious better choice. Plus with the money you save, you could probably have a 3" Y-pipe custom made for the OBX headers and actually beat them in power output for less total cost.
Seriously read this post and tell me where I am slinging dirt, bragging, or even being untruthful in my comparison.

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. I keep coming back hoping to find some useful info, and I just find more arguments. Can't this just get dropped?

I thought the whole idea of being a community with similar car interests was to give constructive criticism..not tear each other apart.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267

I don't see what the big deal is. I keep coming back hoping to find some useful info, and I just find more arguments. Can't this just get dropped?

I thought the whole idea of being a community with similar car interests was to give constructive criticism..not tear each other apart.
Pictures and numbers aren't useful info at all, I can agree with you on that.

I'm not trying to tear anybody apart, just make a valid comparison.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Pictures and numbers aren't useful info at all, I can agree with you on that.

I'm not trying to tear anybody apart, just make a valid comparison.
I know. There are just so many novel-length responses being written for no real reason it seems.

Out of curiosity, when you installed your headers, what did you torque them down to on the head? I don't want to over-tighten them. The last thing I need is a cracked head...
Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 PM

I know. There are just so many novel-length responses being written for no real reason it seems.

Out of curiosity, when you installed your headers, what did you torque them down to on the head? I don't want to over-tighten them. The last thing I need is a cracked head...
I can't remember for sure at this point since it's been almost 2 years since I installed them, but the instructions or FSM should tell you.

I think I just snugged them as tight as i could with 1 hand on a 1/4" rachet then checked them once about two weeks later.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:53 PM

I was originally gonna go the same route, I just figured if you knew, I'd take the chance to break in my new torque wrench. But it's all good.

I'll check the FSM just for the hell of it when I'm not on my POS work computer..

I guess now that I think about it, just a good snug ratcheting and a check in a few weeks will be fine, too, though. It'll be easier than trying to get the manifold to spec, anyway...I've already had a hell of a ride trying to get the OEM manifold off.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM

I was originally gonna go the same route, I just figured if you knew, I'd take the chance to break in my new torque wrench. But it's all good.

I'll check the FSM just for the hell of it when I'm not on my POS work computer..

I guess now that I think about it, just a good snug ratcheting and a check in a few weeks will be fine, too, though. It'll be easier than trying to get the manifold to spec, anyway...I've already had a hell of a ride trying to get the OEM manifold off.
The worst part is getting the OEM heatshields off, almost everybody rounds the bolts and has to take them off with force if they're even slightly rusted. Spray that crap down with PB blaster a few times before you get started!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM

What type of moron puts OBX 3.0 headers on a 3.5, are they fcuken retarded?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM

what about a stock auto 4th gen.......
Old 01-24-2010, 04:23 PM

So I'm a child because I pointed out key differences between the 2 header designs in order to help OP with his choice? I am not bragging about cattman or calling OBX crap, seriously read back over my posts and get your head out of your @ss.

What I see is you stating the differences, than banging others for stating their opinions on Obx giving similar gains (if not same). Simply put, Cattman is of course a better choice for headers for those who want to spend the extra buck on them. However, by no means is obx a walk away in the power range considering they have both been proven to give 15-20whp give or take on the constantly changing variables. And in My opinion, definitely not worth an extra $400.00. That's MY opinion. Once again, MY opinion.

However i'll be the first to draw the line at claiming i'm going to go into an on going debate about these headers vs those. There are enough of those. So anyone looking to quote what I said to start up a never ending debate, save your time. I won't be replying.

Op, gl. Both are awesome choices.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Turbo'd Saab

you know I already run 13.8s with just an intake, tune, and catback

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
you know I already run 13.8s with just an intake, tune, and catback

No boost here, apparently
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm gonna jump in here and say I agree that there are alot of difference between the OBX and Cattman including part throttle driveability, and WOT....I believe that Cattman headers provide better throttle response than the OBX since I drove a similarly equipped 5.5th Gen with the same exact Intake system, (OBX)with a stock cat, catback; and the (Cattman) with a hi flow cat and Cattman bpipe and Oem rear muffler. I noticed my Cattman headers were more crisp in throttle response and seemed to have more available torque...that my observation...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM

What I see is you stating the differences, than banging others for stating their opinions on Obx giving similar gains (if not same). Simply put, Cattman is of course a better choice for headers for those who want to spend the extra buck on them. However, by no means is obx a walk away in the power range considering they have both been proven to give 15-20whp give or take on the constantly changing variables. And in My opinion, definitely not worth an extra $400.00. That's MY opinion. Once again, MY opinion.

However i'll be the first to draw the line at claiming i'm going to go into an on going debate about these headers vs those. There are enough of those. So anyone looking to quote what I said to start up a never ending debate, save your time. I won't be replying.

Op, gl. Both are awesome choices.
The words used were "exactly the same gains" which is just not true, so I pointed out some differences.

I said myself multiple times that the gains are similar and the cattman variety will not make some exuberant amount more power than OBX. I do believe you would see a measurable difference on a back to back dyno comparison, though. Even if it is a minor one that is in no way worth the price tag difference.

People such as yourself keep massively exaggerating my statements acting as if I was saying "OBX lose power compared stock and are ~20whp weaker than Cattman and you are all stupid for thinking otherwise," which is far from true and quite annoying. I guess it's because offense is taken and makes it seem worse than it is?

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-24-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm gonna jump in here and say I agree that there are alot of difference between the OBX and Cattman including part throttle driveability, and WOT....I believe that Cattman headers provide better throttle response than the OBX since I drove a similarly equipped 5.5th Gen with the same exact Intake system, (OBX)with a stock cat, catback; and the (Cattman) with a hi flow cat and Cattman bpipe and Oem rear muffler. I noticed my Cattman headers were more crisp in throttle response and seemed to have more available torque...that my observation...
Most of that is likely just car to car differences. I doubt the butt dyno would be able to tell a difference between the two designs.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:47 PM

No I let a 3rd party person who has neither brand drive both cars and perform his part throttle torque test in which you measure in a 10-15 mph roll how much throttle is needed to break the tires loose....The Cattman equipped car is also equipped with 245/40/18 while the OBX is equipped with Oem 225/50/17...The OBX was never able to break traction in part throttle....!!!! No butt dynos here.....!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Also guys there is nothing wrong with debate. IMO debate/argument causes people to think and spread ideas as well as being a good learning tool. Some people get annoyed with disagreement or even vehemently hate it, but many others find it to be a stimulating form of entertainment and a good way to learn. I've learned tons of interesting facts while researching or reading topics of debate on forums and other public venues that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Although in this case it would be more fun to argue facts than resort to the classic "my dad can beat up your dad" strategy, it still stands that it's not a bad thing. If it turns into a flame war it would be moderated and handled by those with the power to do so.

Writing the obligatory "oh give it a rest" name calling post is far less productive to the topic than the argument itself. Should it get out of hand it is the moderator's duty to censor the post, not yours.... Although E-police do make me hot
Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I would be willing to put money down that the OBX headers don't line up with exhaust ports on the heads...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
No I let a 3rd party person who has neither brand drive both cars and perform his part throttle torque test in which you measure in a 10-15 mph roll how much throttle is needed to break the tires loose....The Cattman equipped car is also equipped with 245/40/18 while the OBX is equipped with Oem 225/50/17...The OBX was never able to break traction in part throttle....!!!! No butt dynos here.....!!!!
What I mean is that in a majority of cases there is a large amount of variance between two nearly identical cars of the same type, drivetrain, and mods. Although I do believe the cattman headers would make a little more power, I highly doubt it's enough to really feel in the seat of your pants.

There's just too many variables at play when you're comparing 2 different cars. That said, you've probably made better choices in both mods and maintenance or got one a little stronger out of the factory than his

Quick Reply: 3.0 headers/ y-pipe on a 3.5?