5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

transponder key failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM

transponder key failure

I purchased a switch blade key off ebay (which i don t reccomend to anyone) I cut the key myself and programmed the remote.

I brought it to a locksmith to have the transponder programmed and it worked he charged my $50.
I drive down the street from the locksmith with my switchblade key in and my car dies, dash lights go on and the car dies.

So i get it started with the original key and bring it back yelling and swearing (even tho it wasnt his fault bc its was the cheap key i bought) anyways i got my money back and now when you put the original key and turn it on the car cranks as if the key isnt programmed then finally turns over. It did that about 10 times and now it starts like normal.
But now i have the engine service light on and ocassionally the SLIP and TCS light stay on aswell.

Any ideas as to what went wrong and how to get the service engine light to go off?

I searched and was told to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then try it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Run codes, get back to us.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Thats crazy i bought a regular Transponder from EBAy. I jus got it cut didnt program it yet. I'm afraid to program it and mess up any circuits. So I guess i have to go to the dealership. Maybe it interfered with ya comp... May have to go to Nissan again.. Anyone know besides them any other places to get a legit Key without spending rent money??
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Do yourself a favour and begrudginly hand your money over to the stealership. It will be problem free and save you heartache.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Hmmm... I lost my keys... now I know not to look on ebay... shoot...

anybody kno of any locksmiths cheaper than 225 for a cut n make of a transponder key n Dallas?!?

Can I go to Nissan Heaven n go through their keys they have n try to find one that will work... or is there no other max who key will work?!?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Hmmm... I lost my keys... now I know not to look on ebay... shoot...

anybody kno of any locksmiths cheaper than 225 for a cut n make of a transponder key n Dallas?!?

Can I go to Nissan Heaven n go through their keys they have n try to find one that will work... or is there no other max who key will work?!?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Problem with some online keys is of course they are cheap. But also there is an issue because some must be programmed by a SPECIFIC computer. I bought a spare chip key for a great price and it came with a spare (non-transponder) too. I've not got my key programed because no one locally has a SDD/TKO device. In regards to the dealer, there is NO WAY I'm paying them a NON-refundable price of $80 to program my key, a cost I am OUT even if the key will not program! No thank you!

Ace Hardware has keys and will cut and program for about $60. That is if you really need a key. If you lost your key and it therefore cannot be copied, then yes, you must go to the dealer. I understand they actually connect a laptop into your ecu in programming the key. So, technically, they can program a whole different key and cut it from your vin#.