5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Battery life question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:41 PM

I think theres some consensus that all the batteries are made by only two or three manufacturers. From what I've heard, Optimas suck and aren't worth the money. Interstate is on the top of my list for reliability. Costco/Kirkland is really good value for your money and you can't beat their warranty so I say go for it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 AM

i ended up changing the battery after 10 years. pretty damn good for an oem battery!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
I think theres some consensus that all the batteries are made by only two or three manufacturers. From what I've heard, Optimas suck and aren't worth the money. Interstate is on the top of my list for reliability. Costco/Kirkland is really good value for your money and you can't beat their warranty so I say go for it.
That consensus is false and likely opined by people who bash one brand and praise another, without realizing both brands are manufactured by the same company. Most (but far from all) batteries are manufactured by three companies. However, if any of those batteries fail from a manufacturing defect, they are likely to do so well within their first year of use, if not the first month.

Whether any AGM battery is worth the extra money really comes down to the user and application. If someone routinely has a hard time keeping batteries alive until the end of their warranty, they may be better off buying the cheapest battery they can find, with the longest warranty and the most-liberal return policy. If someone generally sees good battery life, an AGM battery is well worth the extra cost, as they can last up to twice as long as flooded batteries (and also minimize the risk of acid damage).

However, not all AGM batteries are created equally. Some AGM batteries use recycled lead, which is cheaper, but may also compromise performance and lifespan, when compared to AGM batteries that use pure virgin lead.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Man I just feel like I got my a$$ whooped by the Optima police.

My point was that I've heard more bad things than good things about Optimas.

OP - Just do some google research and see for yourself. There was a time when I was contemplating buying a super expensive sealed battery but then after some research I realized that there was absolutely no point.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Premium Sponsor

Tyutyunnik, I apologize if I came off harshly in my post, as that certainly wasn't my intent. I do come across quite a bit of inaccurate, outright false and sometimes dangerous information posted about batteries and I do want to make sure if people are repeating information about our products or batteries in general, that the information is accurate and does not pose a safety risk.

I would also encourage the OP and anyone else considering a battery purchase to do their research. BCI ratings for cranking amps and reserve capacity can help offer an apples to apples comparison amongst brands and manufacturers, but they are far from the only factors that should be considered.

I see too many people get hung up on trying to find a battery with the most cold cranking amps. CCAs are an important consideration if you live in Ottawa, but not so much of a concern if you live in Orlando. As long as the cranking amps meet or exceed the requirements of the engine, spending more to get a battery with 100 more cold cranking amps probably isn't necessary.

If someone has a large stereo system or they run their stereo for extended periods of time with the engine off, they should look for a battery designed for deep-cycle use with more reserve capacity. Physically larger batteries can offer more cranking amps and reserve capacity, but there is generally a trade-off in like-sized batteries between cranking amps and reserve capacity, with more of one coming at the expense of less of the other.

AGM batteries will generally offer both superior performance and lifespan when compared to traditional flooded batteries, but if spending $150 on a battery increases the value of your winter beater by 20%, you may be better off buying the cheapest battery you can find.

Most “black box” flooded batteries use recycled lead, which is cheaper, but you will get what you pay for over the life of the battery. Pure virgin lead will offer better performance and lifespan than recycled lead. Manufacturers who use pure virgin lead aren't afraid to let you know (we do), but if you are unsure, just ask them.

Some people look to physically smaller batteries in an effort to save weight. While undersized batteries can save some weight, they often require more attention to maintenance than normal-sized batteries. People who think they can shave 15 pounds by buying a smaller battery and call it a day will often end up with a dead battery. Smaller batteries are also more susceptible to damage from heat if they are installed under the hood.

All batteries can vent gas that is both flammable and toxic, even “sealed” batteries. If you mount your battery inside your car (or in the trunk), make sure it is properly-vented to the outside air with either a vent tube or a sealed & vented battery box.

Finally, look at the warranty terms and conditions before making a purchase. If you buy a battery online and need warranty service, you will probably be required to ship it back to your original retailer. Some warranties are voided if you discharge your battery below a minimum voltage level or your alternator is not operating within a specific voltage range. We don't have exclusions like that in our warranty, but it's better to read the warranty before making a purchase, than after the fact.

Jim McIlvaine
www.twitter.com/optimabatteries
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Tyutyunnik, I apologize if I came off harshly in my post, as that certainly wasn't my intent. I do come across quite a bit of inaccurate, outright false and sometimes dangerous information posted about batteries and I do want to make sure if people are repeating information about our products or batteries in general, that the information is accurate and does not pose a safety risk.

I would also encourage the OP and anyone else considering a battery purchase to do their research. BCI ratings for cranking amps and reserve capacity can help offer an apples to apples comparison amongst brands and manufacturers, but they are far from the only factors that should be considered.

I see too many people get hung up on trying to find a battery with the most cold cranking amps. CCAs are an important consideration if you live in Ottawa, but not so much of a concern if you live in Orlando. As long as the cranking amps meet or exceed the requirements of the engine, spending more to get a battery with 100 more cold cranking amps probably isn't necessary.

If someone has a large stereo system or they run their stereo for extended periods of time with the engine off, they should look for a battery designed for deep-cycle use with more reserve capacity. Physically larger batteries can offer more cranking amps and reserve capacity, but there is generally a trade-off in like-sized batteries between cranking amps and reserve capacity, with more of one coming at the expense of less of the other.

AGM batteries will generally offer both superior performance and lifespan when compared to traditional flooded batteries, but if spending $150 on a battery increases the value of your winter beater by 20%, you may be better off buying the cheapest battery you can find.

Most “black box” flooded batteries use recycled lead, which is cheaper, but you will get what you pay for over the life of the battery. Pure virgin lead will offer better performance and lifespan than recycled lead. Manufacturers who use pure virgin lead aren't afraid to let you know (we do), but if you are unsure, just ask them.

Some people look to physically smaller batteries in an effort to save weight. While undersized batteries can save some weight, they often require more attention to maintenance than normal-sized batteries. People who think they can shave 15 pounds by buying a smaller battery and call it a day will often end up with a dead battery. Smaller batteries are also more susceptible to damage from heat if they are installed under the hood.

All batteries can vent gas that is both flammable and toxic, even “sealed” batteries. If you mount your battery inside your car (or in the trunk), make sure it is properly-vented to the outside air with either a vent tube or a sealed & vented battery box.

Finally, look at the warranty terms and conditions before making a purchase. If you buy a battery online and need warranty service, you will probably be required to ship it back to your original retailer. Some warranties are voided if you discharge your battery below a minimum voltage level or your alternator is not operating within a specific voltage range. We don't have exclusions like that in our warranty, but it's better to read the warranty before making a purchase, than after the fact.

Jim McIlvaine
Jim,
What about claims that optima's quality has gone to garbage after you closed down the American plant and moved it to mexico?

What do you think about putting hard working Americans out of work so your company's(already rich) share holders makes a few more $?

This is from the local news:

This Thanksgiving is a tough one for 140 employees of a battery production firm in Aurora who learned this week their jobs are going to a new plant in Mexico.

For a decade Optima Batteries has produced its product in the United States, but earlier this year employees were informed a new plant was being constructed in the Mexican city of Cienega de Flores.

"When they built that plant in Mexico, what did they tell you?" CBS4's Rick Sallinger asked one employee.

"That half of the production would stay here and the other half to Mexico."

"And now it's all going to Mexico?" Rick asked. "Yeah," the employee said.

Optima workers in Aurora told CBS4 they were asked to train Mexican employees for the new facility.

No time is a good time to lose your job, but especially not now.

"It kind of puts a damper on it knowing in a couple months you don't have a job (and you'll be) going down to unemployment," one worker said.

I can buy 3 normal batteries for the price of one yellow top and guess which will last longer? Which has a better warranty? They also have around 150 more CCA and more amp hours...

There is a reason why GOOD AGM batteries cost a ton. Look at Odyssey.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 03-16-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Premium Sponsor

Max, any claims about a decline in the quality of our batteries simply is not true. While the quality of the batteries produced in our Aurora facility was excellent, our facility in Monterrey is state of the art, designed specifically to build those batteries and is producing the best batteries we have ever made. Johnson Controls (our parent company) is based in Milwaukee and has operations around the globe. If someone who owns a car built by a company based in Kanagawa-ku wants to draw a patriotic line in the sand with their car battery, I certainly respect their decision to do that. JCI also has an international presence, just as Nissan does and while I don't have any say in decisions they make as a company, I'm certainly happy to pass along your feedback.

Jim McIlvaine