5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Second Key

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Second Key

I was told thatI have to loose one of my keys for my remote start to get installed. I've gotten a chipped key from the dealer already for $200
I damn sure don't wanna spend that much again on another key, so would I be able to go to a home depot or lowes and get another key made?

P.S This key would only be for the remote start install on my car.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Or Ace Hardware or many local Key Makers.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Nope, you need the immobilizer chipped key, which is why they need the key.

You will need to source an OEM key somewhere and then have it programmed.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Colonel

Huh? PLease explain this as I've went through getting duplicate keys for my 2003. Many places sell chip keys which they duplicate the "signal" from your original key so that the new key works. It's like $60 at Ace Hardware and about that same price at any Locksmith that does automotive keys. Beats the $200 or so the dealership wants!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Huh? PLease explain this as I've went through getting duplicate keys for my 2003. Many places sell chip keys which they duplicate the "signal" from your original key so that the new key works. It's like $60 at Ace Hardware and about that same price at any Locksmith that does automotive keys. Beats the $200 or so the dealership wants!
You need an OEM key that has the immobilizer chip in the key. Where you get it is up to you. However this blank key will not "just work" without being programmed to work with your SEU.

You need to go through the process of getting that chip "programmed" to replicate the codes your car is running on. If the OP had Nissan do the programming, its not cheap in any manner.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Yes, you can go to Home Depot, Ace, Walmart, etc. What they do is actually provide you with a cloned key and it works the same as your original. (Dealers and some locksmiths do the programming in a different way by hooking up a scanner to your car). If I'm not mistaken, the remote start installer wants the chip from the key you'll "loose" to place it in the vecinity of your ignition so the remote start works.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I'd like to resolve the confusion, especially for the OP. I guess I assumed the OP understood he needed a chip key as he had already went through this process and paid $200 for a key to start his car. He was asking if there was a cheaper route other than the dealership. Which I responded he can go to a Locksmith or Ace Hardware. You can get the chip key there, have them cut it, AND they can program them for well under $100. The dealership is not required to duplicate these keys.

Colonol, you last post clarifies what you were saying, but we are saying the same thing. My confusion in your post was that you stated he needed an OEM chip key. I felt this implied he needed a factory Nissan key (original equipment manufacturer) which is not accurate. There are MANY other keys (aftermarket) which work just as well. So, perhaps my confusion was the use of "OEM."

Hopes this clears things up, especially for the OP.

Thanks Neslito65 for further clarification.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM

No prob, Chris. I was under the impression that you and Colonel were kind of saying the same thing, with the exception of the word "OEM"
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I agree.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM

you wont need a chipped key to start your car any more since your chipped key will be sitting on your NVIS so any old key will work.

If you did want to get another chipped key you might want to check out local locksmiths. I got mine for $75 i think, but you wont need it
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM

I had a remote starter installed 6 years ago and the remote key the installer wanted to hide from me. I'm like why? I guess the reasoning is just so that if you lose the original key the remote key will still work with the remote starter. I'm assuming my remote starter came with some sort of chipped key or something because I do have the nissan engraved key still..? Oh well its confusing TBH. The remote starter doesnt currently work, I think everytime I displace the battery I have to switch the signal back and forth or something, its getting to be a hassle because I was given a new remote and brain etc. I'm assuming something has to be wrong unless its just because I keep having to remove the battery for whatever reason/s.

Just make a damn App already....
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM

no need for a extra key

hey . first off i do this for a living. and u can tell the shop to order u a pkn2 bypassmodule or whatever brand modules they sell. if my memory serves correct .. u only need one key to program the module as it only connects to +12v,grnd, status output (neg.while running output and can high and can low connections.. let me know how u makeout . if u want to come to NY ill do it for ya... so basicly . u give the shop one key and u get it back when u pickup ur car!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by blue02maximavq35
hey . first off i do this for a living. and u can tell the shop to order u a pkn2 bypassmodule or whatever brand modules they sell. if my memory serves correct .. u only need one key to program the module as it only connects to +12v,grnd, status output (neg.while running output and can high and can low connections.. let me know how u makeout . if u want to come to NY ill do it for ya... so basicly . u give the shop one key and u get it back when u pickup ur car!
blue02maximavq35 is correct. Using another key USED to be necessary. Until they realized a cheaper bypass module (vs. Chiped Key) would sell more remote starts (?). Either way, the key is no longer necessary for most vehicles and there isn't much special about the Max in that regard. My roommate does this on the side and hasn't needed an extra key in quite some time. Viper 5101 is a great unit.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM

I have 2 chipped keys right now. I know about the bypass which the installer already has. I was asking rather than using one of my chipped keys could I get a cheap key made, but from the posts I guess I will have to loose one of them.
Blue02, where the hell were you when I was looking for an installer? I would of come thru.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by LILMAN
I have 2 chipped keys right now. I know about the bypass which the installer already has. I was asking rather than using one of my chipped keys could I get a cheap key made, but from the posts I guess I will have to loose one of them.
Blue02, where the hell were you when I was looking for an installer? I would of come thru.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The bypass module I speak of does not require the key at all...It itself sends the code once learned. The old module, held the key inside of it in order to transmit the code. So, pay for the additional module that allows you to keep both keys. Good luck! There are a million different installers out there doing it differently with different products. Just make sure it's someone you trust and not a hack.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by blue02maximavq35
Now that is good information!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I just installed my remote start w/alarm and it does not need a bypass key. There is a separate module that learns the keys programming. Once it's learned, you do not need a key.

I got my remote start through autoalarmpro.com
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM

There are a few different bypasses out there. Unfortunatly I had to troubleshoot an issue with my car in which I switched out the ECU for a short time (reprogrammed keys) and now back to the stock ecu (reprogramed keys again). Well soon after I realized my bypass for the alarm needed to be programed for the key again which requires me to remove the unit. Basically what I am trying to say is if you have any type of ecu work, DO IT FIRST..
Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Whats up guys, not hijacking just have a quick question hopping someone can answer. I have a viper alarm as well and it was installed years ago. the installer neededd my second key like everyone is saying so i only have 1 which i use to start the car. I need a second one just to hide under the car because i usually lock the keys in the car 4x a year. I dont need it chipped because it wont be used to start the car.. can i get this at any key store and have them cut one off the one i use now.

on a side note the remote starter is a viper 791. when i start the car the starter automatically locks the doors 3 seconds later and unlocks them when you shut the car off. is there a way to change this so it doesnt look on its own?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM

For your first question about cutting keys, yes you can just cut a key just about anywhere off of your factory key and use it to open your door. Finding a blank locally may be a different story.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Wow this is some mass confusion...

There are two types of remote starters that work in our cars. I have one and have had it explained to me in detail.

1. starter requires a key actually placed inside it to send the signal and start the car
2. starter does not require a key because it is bad *** and it knows how to interface with your car and basically they program the starter as a 3rd key saved for the computer.

I had to get a key cut from nissan when my car was stolen and I replaced my ignition tumbler... $200 later and I wanted to kill those thieving basterds.
I bought a key off ebay for $40 that said it was a chip key and nissan claimed it wasnt and refused to program it so I had to buy thier $200 one... I hate the nissan dealer!

Last edited by nzelinsky; 02-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 AM

http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKN2
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

listen up

we will clarify the whole thing.... 1st, to install a remote starter, scenario one -u need a second key wich the installer sticks in a box that is basicly a transponder coil device and transmits ur code in ur key to ur tronsponder ring (that green ring around ur ign cylinder .) this scenario requires u to LOSE ur extra key , and yes they it cost about 150 to replace as my car came with 1key when i bought it.. nopw... scenario2 - u give the installer two keys at time of installation and they copy the codes onto the second type of module called a bypassmodule ,now there are also bypass modules out there that u dont need to copy transponder codes . they have preloaded FIRMware uploaded onto them prior to installation. and this is ur best bet.. alot of these pieces work via canbus signalls from ur bcm.. these modules can vary from 50-100bucks.. the one that u should request or should HAVE is called a PKN2 ,that should cover nissanfor a number of different yrs and models..and if u want any help or need none installed later,, my email is hi_neon95@yahoo.com and my cell is 18455900934 louis
Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM

I had 2003 Maxima which I had a remote starter installed on and what I did was I used my Valet key....you guys know that purple key that comes with the car. I never let anyone valet the car so i figured might as well use that key instead of giving up one of my good keys...

To the OP - Are you keeping your factory remote or are you getting an aftermarket one....a lot of people don't know they can keep their factory remote so that's why i thought I would mention this. I know I personally prefer the look of the factory vs. aftermarket remote. Usually you will just have to hit the lock button twice and that will activate the remote start.

The other thing I noticed is you have a 5-spd Maxima and you are adding remote start...I have seen this before and all I can say is I hope you ALWAYS leave your car in neutral...I know I was taught to always leave it in gear to prevent it from rolling away. With your remote start though, I hope you never accidentally leave it in gear and forget you left it gear because if you try your remote start I think you know what will happen. If this ever happens, Just make sure you are not parked behind a new Mercedes or BMW...LOL.

Last edited by CARLOS9827; 02-14-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM

So what's the verdict? Does he need a 2nd key?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Carlos-I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the original remote,but I do leave my car in neutral when I park.
Thanks VQ and blue02 I will pass the info along to the installer.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 AM

Will this fit my 00'? It says for years 01-05.

I'm assuming this is what I would need tho.
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=TBKV

Last edited by LILMAN; 02-16-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Colonel

QUESTION:

If the key he gives to the installer is locked in a box near the ignition for the remote starter...

Why would a normal un-chipped $0.79 replica key not work? Sure, it won't send the signal... but you already have a chipped key within the proper vascinity...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Quite valid inquiry.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
QUESTION:

If the key he gives to the installer is locked in a box near the ignition for the remote starter...

Why would a normal un-chipped $0.79 replica key not work? Sure, it won't send the signal... but you already have a chipped key within the proper vascinity...
I don't think it works that way - are you thinking of a proximity key? I know those keys transmit signal just by standing within the proper vicinity but that only the 07+ Maximas. For older Maximas the chipped key has to actually inserted into the lock box which is somehow wired to the ignition, thats how the signal is transmitted.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
I don't think it works that way - are you thinking of a proximity key? I know those keys transmit signal just by standing within the proper vicinity but that only the 07+ Maximas. For older Maximas the chipped key has to actually inserted into the lock box which is somehow wired to the ignition, thats how the signal is transmitted.
not entirely sure how that would work... though I am very interested.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM

different bypass modules!??

heres the lowdown on bypass modules.. a bypass module is seperate from the remote starter module. it is a secondary apparatus. that is installed with the remote starter installation but they are two different units(black boxes).. when it comes to bypass modules, theres a keybox style. wich is essentially a empty box with windings that u slide key into and leave there and allows starting by reading that key only when remote started. the other is basicly a universal transponder chip or eeprom chip in a box that can be programmed with ur transponder code.. some of these chips can be reprogrammed dozens of times.. some once!. usually ford and chrysler modules such as im04 or xk532/im532 by xpresskits. intellikeys and pushbuttons . u have to actually keep the remotes 20ft away during some parts of programming .. is250"s are a *****!!! anyway . thats the lowdown. any questions email me or text. 845-590 0934 or blue02maximavq35@gmail.com