5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-03 ECU vs 04-08 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

02-03 ECU vs 04-08 ECU

What is the main difference in these different generations of Maxima ECU's?

Is it that the 04+ ECU's incorporate CAN?

I figure the 04+ ECU's are more similar to the 350z ECU, as I remember reading somewhere that you can use the 350z Osiris on the 04+ ECU's but not the 02-03 ECU's.

What I'm getting at is, Cobb makes an AccessPORT for the 350z, and I'm curious if this is compatible with the 04+ Maxima ECU's and maybe the 02-03 ECU's.

Also, If I had access to a Consult II, would I be able to use an 04+ Maxima ECU in my 2002 by just getting the NATS/whateverelse switched over and a simple harness repin?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Bad *** Newb

I don't know about anything else, but you will need a 6th gen knock sensor. I ran a '05 engine in my '02. It operated correctly (except for my problem with all 5.5 gen ECUs. They're slow as dog **** in the heat).

I would assume that everything should work since the whole engine is basically identical.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Toolie

the harnesses are completely different according to the FSM's
Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 AM

you could likely use an 04+ or z ECU, but it would be a LOT more work than is worth it for that little bit of difference.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Only reason I ask is because of the apparent surplus of tuning options for that ECU compared to the 02-3 ECU.

Anyone know if the AccessPORT for the 350z will work on an 04+ Maxima?

I just installed an AccessPORT in my friends 06 Si and I really like how it works. They basically have pre-made maps for any combination of mods you can think of. Only minor tuning is required.

Also, I believe it tunes the VTC and ignition timing as well.

Swapping a harness isn't really a big deal to me, as long as it is worth while.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

You don't have to swap the harness. Obviously, you will have to rewire a connector for the ECU, but no harness swap on my old car.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

The 04+ maxima ECUs have the same connectors and memory/etc as the 350z ecu... opens up a lot of PNP options.

UTEC is PNP on the 04+ Ecu.

Osiris works on it.

Haltech and other companies make easy patch harnesses for it.

I'd go with a 04-06 6 speed ECU + Osiris if I was doing a full swap on an earlier gen maxima.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 PM

i thought someone here determined that the osiris didnt work on the 6th gen ecu, by actually buying it and finding out it doesnt work
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 PM

i need to kno the same thing i want to put a 04 6spd in my 03 auto wat do i really need to complete this swap!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Gemner
i thought someone here determined that the osiris didnt work on the 6th gen ecu, by actually buying it and finding out it doesnt work
listed as working on their site
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 AM

huh, did not know. I cant find the thread or any post, so I must be remembering incorrectly
Old 03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Gemner
huh, did not know. I cant find the thread or any post, so I must be remembering incorrectly
If it was a long time ago, it may not have been supported then.

Does the eeprom in our 5.5s have any identification on it? If we know what it is and can find a larger capacity rom and replace ours...

Or have an ecu flashing comp do it for us if they have said eeprom. Then osiris would work as it's a limitation of capacity on ours (so i read).
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
If it was a long time ago, it may not have been supported then.

Does the eeprom in our 5.5s have any identification on it? If we know what it is and can find a larger capacity rom and replace ours...

Or have an ecu flashing comp do it for us if they have said eeprom. Then osiris would work as it's a limitation of capacity on ours (so i read).
Are you saying that the amount of space in the 02-03 EEPROM is the limitation here and not the actual CPU?

I was always under the assumption that the actual processor was different and used a completely different architecture and that's why no one has really been able to do anything with it except Technosquare. I could very well be wrong.

I really don't know enough about the architecture of the ECU to make assumptions, but couldn't someone just make a dump of the software/firmware and edit the hex values/addresses for the rev limit and whatnot? (That is, if anyone knows what these values are)

I'm an Electrical and Computer Engineering major so I have access to a bunch of equipment in the lab, and I have access to a bunch of smart people also.

If someone could point out what chip needed to be dumped, I may be able to get it done for them and post back the data...

As far as dumping an image of the 04+ software onto the 02-03 hardware, I have some doubts. It most likely uses different hardware, seeing as the ECU's pins are completely different.

*Reminds me of my Xbox modding days...

Last edited by Unklejoe; 03-12-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

I read something where it was said that osiris wasn't the limitation and the incompatibility was due to the eeprom being too small and couldn't hold the modded roms.

Maybe I'm wrong, idk, but if that is actually the case, then I don't see why a larger chip couldn't theoretically work.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Also, if a dump of the ROM was achieved, it may be possible to make a "mod chip" of some sort.

It could just be soldered in or be pressed directly over top of the EEPROM (depending on the kind of chip) and overwrite the desired values in the stock EEPROM.

If Technosquare can figure this out, some people on here can also.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 PM

That could work.

We could find a similar but larger EEPROM and just dump the firmware on to that one.

This is assuming that the 02-03 has the same memory addresses as the 04+.

Anyone have pics of the inside of the 02-03 ECU?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
That could work.

We could find a similar but larger EEPROM and just dump the firmware on to that one.

This is assuming that the 02-03 has the same memory addresses as the 04+.
Yeah, otherwise, we're screwed b/c osiris would be never give support (unless a ton of us did it).

At this point, I don't even care Utec and Emanage look lame as hell once I read about osiris. I've got nothing against TS, but I'm not paying $500 for something I can't readjust myself and will suffer down time from.

If I could get all the 04 maxima parts (ecu, nats, harness, etc) I will pay someone a few hundred dollars to install the **** haha.

I'm also getting jealous of sparks and jay pee b/c I want those numbers, but can't without this!!!!!

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Yeah, otherwise, we're screwed b/c osiris would be never give support (unless a ton of us did it).

At this point, I don't even care Utec and Emanage looks lame as hell once I read about osiris. I've got nothing against TS, but I'm not paying $500 for something I can't readjust myself and will suffer down time from.

If I could get all the 04 maxima parts (ecu, nats, harness, etc) I will pay someone a few hundred dollars to install the **** haha.
I've got nothing against TS either, but I am not paying $500 for them to plug my ECU in and hit "TRANSFER" on their computer.

I'm sure they already made up for their R&D tenfold.

A re-flash should cost like $150.

And, If I remember correctly, you can disable NATS and all that mess with Osiris, so all you would need is the ECU, plug, and Osiris.

I saw a video somewhere of a VQ35 running on the ground. Just a fuel pump, tank, battery, and ECU.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcCPtLBXvI

(It is using a Z Fever ECU?)

Edit:

It sucks because my friend used to be a Nissan tech and he had unsupervised access to the Consult II(He got laid off). I think you can just swap the NATS over with that. TBH, I am not even sure what the NATS is or does. I'm guessing it has to do with the transponder or something.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 03-12-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Bad *** Newb

It sucks because my friend used to be a Nissan tech and he had unsupervised access to the Consult II(He got laid off). I think you can just swap the NATS over with that. TBH, I am not even sure what the NATS is or does. I'm guessing it has to do with the transponder or something.
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing.

And you're saying I need to go find me some nissan tech friends.... good idea
Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Youre right, the NATS can be reprogrammed using the consultII. The chip in the key corresponds to the NATS module in the steering column. This sends a signal to the ECU which has its own special "address" for lack of a better word. You can use the consult to change the ECU's address to make it match that of the column's module.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

In addition to everything else, you'd have to use an '04 and new manifold and EGR valve since the 5.5 gen doesn't have an EGR valve.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Scottwax
In addition to everything else, you'd have to use an '04 and new manifold and EGR valve since the 5.5 gen doesn't have an EGR valve.
It's not like we're gonna hook it up. EGR is retarded. Emission crap FTL.

And I actually do have a 6th gen IM haha

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

It's not like we're gonna hook it up. EGR is retarded. Emission crap FTL.

And I actually do have a 6th gen IM haha
Those of us who have to pass emissions do have to worry about it. Can't pass in Texas if you have an SES or even a pending code.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 PM

I think Osiris can remove the EGR system completely and remove any DTC's associated with it.

It can do everything lol
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Those of us who have to pass emissions do have to worry about it. Can't pass in Texas if you have an SES or even a pending code.
I register out of city, here Or go to small shops that don't care or put 20 bucks on top. Everyone needs money and it talks good. Unless you have those state centers. Finally, got rid of those, here.

I have an idea if it doesn't sound too stupid.
If Osiris can disable all the BS in the ECU, would it be possible to get it to function correctly as a piggyback (kinda like an EU)? If it will boot and think the car is running, then it should be possible.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-14-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Did anyone think to contact Osiris and ask about 5.5 gen support?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by viperboy
Did anyone think to contact Osiris and ask about 5.5 gen support?
It will NEVER happen The ECU is crap. I think it could be done, but it's not worth it to them to make a special version for us.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

Ok, my dumb *** has given it enough thought since I saw this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcCP...eature=related
and I think that ECU could be piggybacked like the utec. Tap/splice all the sensors required (same as utec plus hook a wideband).

The only thing I'm worried about are the unconnected wires. I'm not sure if it'll burn anything out on the ECU from reflection. (maybe hook them up to resistors?)

Obviously, this is far from ideal and people think we should just use an utec or something similar, but I don't like it and not to mention it's no longer supported. I would do this as a stepping stone to use osiris uprev (add on an OBD connector).
Lookin at about $1300 total, I guess.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Yeaf I wish you can pull into Nissan and tell them to give you all the hp the engine can put out for people who are looking for the power or have one of those plug and plays like the American cars do.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Ok, my dumb *** has given it enough thought since I saw this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcCP...eature=related
and I think that ECU could be piggybacked like the utec. Tap/splice all the sensors required (same as utec plus hook a wideband).

The only thing I'm worried about are the unconnected wires. I'm not sure if it'll burn anything out on the ECU from reflection. (maybe hook them up to resistors?)

Obviously, this is far from ideal and people think we should just use an utec or something similar, but I don't like it and not to mention it's no longer supported. I would do this as a stepping stone to use osiris uprev (add on an OBD connector).
Lookin at about $1300 total, I guess.
I see what you're saying (I think).

What's the need for a piggyback with that ECU? I was under the impression that the ECU was re flashed. I could be wrong.

And yeah, I wish it was like that also Rods03Max, lol. I think with Audi's or something, you can get a re flash right from the dealership.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Bad *** Newb

I see what you're saying (I think).

What's the need for a piggyback with that ECU? I was under the impression that the ECU was re flashed. I could be wrong.

And yeah, I wish it was like that also Rods03Max, lol. I think with Audi's or something, you can get a re flash right from the dealership.
Piggyback it onto the stock ECU so the car starts normally and all gauges, sensors, security, etc, still works. Otherwise, we'd have a running engine but nothing else would work haha.