5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Amber H3 Fog Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by zsolt117
Yes that refers to flashing as well, I have friends with white, blue, and me with red, and I had a sheriff come and look at the grill, his reply was " do they flash, if not they are perfectly legal" and if you read on you will see it talks about amber colored lights aswell.
Well the local sheriff may like you and that's fine, but don't complain if you get stopped outside your area. It clearly states that no red or white lights may be on the front of a vehicle, flashing or not.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM

talltom, lol you said its illegal then posted a quote showing how it is legal unless in combination or flashing. I would never do red or any color like that anyways but certainly the amber or yellow/amber color from the OP
Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
talltom, lol you said its illegal then posted a quote showing how it is legal unless in combination or flashing. I would never do red or any color like that anyways but certainly the amber or yellow/amber color from the OP
Thank you for backing me up, and i respect your opinion on the red color and stuff, re just happens to be my favorite color and i want red stuff on my car.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM

then dont let anybody stop you. a lot of haters on forums in general
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

not in the state of tennessee, your allowed to have aftermarket lights as long as the dont rotate, flash or strobe. I have friends who have been pulled over for blue and red and the police all said as long as they dont flash...so if that goes for leds why would fogs be illegal?
S T A T E O F T E N N E S S E E
OFFICE OF THE
ATTORNEY GENERAL
PO BOX 20207
NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE 37202
December 15, 2004
Opinion No. 04-170
Lights on Motor Vehicles
QUESTIONS
1. May a vehicle display continuously burning blue lights (either tinted or colored) as
fog lights or any sort of additional light on a vehicle?
2. Does a violation occur if such lights are “flashed” as opposed to continuous operation
with headlights?
3. Does Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402 prohibit any passenger vehicle from displaying
any red or blue color or tinted light?
OPINIONS
1. State law permits a vehicle to have auxiliary lamps, but only two such lamps may be
lit in addition to two required headlights. The statute does not expressly prohibit the use of
continuously burning blue lights. But under Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(d)(3), only law
enforcement vehicles may display red, white, and blue lights in combination. Since rear lights must
be red, this statute, therefore, forbids the use of blue lights if the motor vehicle’s required headlights
are white. These statutes do not address blue tinted lights. But we think the prohibition would
extend to any light that is identifiably blue in color, whether or not characterized as merely “tinted.”
2. With a few narrowly drawn statutory exceptions, flashing lights of any color are
generally prohibited on motor vehicles.
3. Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(b)(1) expressly requires every vehicle to have red tail
lamps and red stoplights on the rear of the vehicle. Under Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(d)(1), only
specified vehicles may be equipped with a combination of red or white lights that display to the front
of the vehicle. As discussed above, the same statute prohibits the use of red, white, and blue lights
in any combination. If, as is usually the case, the headlights are white, then most vehicles are
prohibited from displaying a blue light anywhere or a red light on the front. The statute does not
address tinted lights. But we think the prohibition would extend to any light that is identifiably red
or blue in color, whether or not characterized as merely “tinted.”
Page 2
ANALYSIS
1. Continuously Burning Blue Lights
This opinion concerns the number and kind of lights that motor vehicles may display under
Tennessee law. The first question is whether a vehicle may display continuously burning blue lights
(either tinted or colored) as fog lights or any sort of additional light on a vehicle. Tenn Code Ann
§ 55-9-402 addresses lights required on motor vehicles. Subsection (a) of the statute concerns
headlights. Under subdivision (a)(1), every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, road roller, road
machinery, or farm tractor “shall be equipped with at least two (2) and not more than four (4)
headlights, with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle.” The statute also
provides that “[n]o non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems
such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights within the headlight assembly or grill area of the
vehicle.” Subdivision (a)(2) provides that “[a]uxiliary road lighting lamps may be used, but not
more than two (2) of such lamps shall be lighted at any one (1) time in addition to the two (2)
required headlights.”
Subsection (b) of the statute concerns lights on the rear of the car. Under subdivision (b)(1),
every motor vehicle must be equipped with “two (2) red tail lamps and two (2) red stoplights on the
rear of such vehicle, and one (1) tail lamp and one (1) stoplight shall be on each side.” Passenger
cars manufactured or assembled before January 1, 1939, trucks manufactured or assembled before
January 1, 1968, and motorcycles and motor-driven cycles must have at least one red tail lamp and
one red stoplight. The statute provides that “[n]o non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install
emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp,
stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area.” Tenn. Code Ann. §
55-9-402(b)(1).
Subsection (d) of the statute addresses lights displayed by emergency or other authorized
vehicles. Subdivision (1) provides:
No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing
red or white light or any combination of red or white lights which
displays to the front of such vehicle except school buses, a passenger
motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States
postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier,
authorized law enforcement vehicles only when used in combination
with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in
firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in
firefighting which are owned or operated by the division of forestry,
firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of
regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201(c), or other
emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or
subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.
Page 3
(Emphasis added). Under subdivision (2), certain rescue vehicles may display a red or red/white
visibar type lighting with a public address system; a red or red/white oscillating type light; and
blinking red or red/white lights, front and rear. Subdivision (3) provides:
Any vehicle, other than a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural
mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the
duties of a rural mail carrier or an emergency vehicle authorized by
this section to display flashing red or red/white lights, or authorized
law enforcement vehicles using red, white, and blue lights in
combination, which displays any such lights shall be considered in
violation of this provision.
(Emphasis added). The statute was recently amended to allow highway maintenance and utility
vehicles to display flashing white or amber lights while engaged in repair or maintenance work on
or near a public highway. 2004 Tenn. Pub. Acts Ch. 474.
The statute, therefore, does not explicitly prohibit the use of a blue fog light. But, under
Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(d)(3), only authorized law enforcement vehicles may use red, white,
and blue lights in combination. Rear lights must be red. Assuming that the required headlights are
white, we conclude that the statute would prohibit the use of blue lights anywhere on the vehicle.
Subdivision (d)(3) of the statute was included in 1997 amendments to the statute. 1997
Tenn. Pub. Acts Ch. 299. When he explained the bill to the Senate Transportation Committee,
Senator Dixon, who sponsored the bill, stated its purpose as follows:
[The bill will] make sure that any of these private security companies
cannot use lights that are basically associated with emergency
vehicles; that’s blue lights or red lights or any combination thereof.
They can use whatever other colors they want to use, but this is to
make sure that people who’ve been sensitized that red is a firetruck,
blue is a police car, that’s what it does. . . .
Senate Transportation Committee (May 5, 1997) (remarks of Senator Dixon).
The statute does not address blue tinted lights. But we think that the prohibition on blue
lights would extend to any light that is identifiably blue in color, whether or not characterized as
merely “tinted.”
2. Flashing Blue Lights
Page 4
The next question is whether the use of flashing blue lights on a motor vehicle would violate
state law. As discussed above, flashing lights on motor vehicles are generally prohibited except for
a few narrowly drawn statutory exceptions. Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(a)(1); 55-9-402(b)(1). In
addition, blue flashing emergency lights may only be used by law enforcement officers in
accordance with Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-414.
3. Use of Red or Blue Colored or Tinted Lights
The last question is whether Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402 prohibits any passenger vehicle
from displaying any red or blue colored or tinted light. This statute expressly requires every vehicle
to have red tail lamps and red stoplights on the rear of the vehicle. Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-
402(b)(1). Under Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402(d)(1), only specified vehicles may be equipped with
a combination of red or white lights that display to the front of the vehicle. As discussed above, the
same statute prohibits the use of red, white, and blue lights in any combination. If, as is usually the
case, the headlights are white, then most vehicles are prohibited from displaying a blue light
anywhere, or a red light on the front. The statute does not address tinted lights. But we think the
prohibition would extend to any light that is identifiably red or blue in color, whether or not
characterized as merely “tinted.”
PAUL G. SUMMERS
Attorney General
MICHAEL E. MOORE
Solicitor General
ANN LOUISE VIX
Senior Counsel
Requested by:
Honorable H. Greeley Wells, Jr.
District Attorney General, Second Judicial District
P.O. Box 526
Blountville, TN 37617
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM

exactly. legal. Laws are written so they can be interpreted numerous ways anyways so even though it says you can? its like having 35% tint. Its legal but it gets you pulled over. If you don't have any reason to worry getting pulled over then go ahead and skirt the line. I dont have any tint or any questionable mods personally. some day.....some day....
Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Banned

exactly. legal. Laws are written so they can be interpreted numerous ways anyways so even though it says you can? its like having 35% tint. Its legal but it gets you pulled over. If you don't have any reason to worry getting pulled over then go ahead and skirt the line. I dont have any tint or any questionable mods personally. some day.....some day....
You really need to read it because in fact it is NOT legal.No blue at all because you have red in the back and white in front.No red in the front because you have red in the back.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Amber is fine. Parking lights are amber.

The law says you cannot have flashing red/white on the entire vehicle nor can you have red on the front. It's clearly written. Not sure how you can interpret any other way.

I'm not bashing you or anyone for what they put on their car. I'm just saying that it is illegal since it was asked.

For what it's worth, back in the day, I had a turqoise neon license plate frame on the rear of my Camaro and it was so bright that you could not read my license plate at any distance. I thought it was awesome until I got stopped twice in two different states. It took a year for me to get stopped after the initial install, but it happened.

You guys can put pink LEDs all over you car if you want. I just want to give you a heads up in case you're stopped and are wondering why.

Last edited by TallTom; 01-18-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM

I skimmed that way to long. You can pick out the section that proves me wrong if I am lol. As I understand it, its the combination or the flashing that is the problem. The law is obviously written to keep people from impersonating police or emergency vehicles in general and was not intended to police aftermarket lighting mods. Laws are not only interpreted one way and the fact is a cop can pull you over for no reason at all. A ticket can always be fought in front of the judge.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Not sure what you read, but the post above yours clearly says it's illegal.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM

I skimmed that way to long. You can pick out the section that proves me wrong if I am lol. As I understand it, its the combination or the flashing that is the problem. The law is obviously written to keep people from impersonating police or emergency vehicles in general and was not intended to police aftermarket lighting mods. Laws are not only interpreted one way and the fact is a cop can pull you over for no reason at all. A ticket can always be fought in front of the judge.
only specified vehicles may be equipped with
a combination of red or white lights that display to the front of the vehicle. As discussed above, the
same statute prohibits the use of red, white, and blue lights in any combination. If, as is usually the
case, the headlights are white, then most vehicles are prohibited from displaying a blue light
anywhere, or a red light on the front.
Um....
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Thats what I said lol, in combination. The line isnt drawn in blood lol if you have blue hids then white fogs should get you a ticket correct? it doesnt
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Well, I dont have relations with my cousin, dont employ "african Americans" cause I dont have a farm big enough, and I do not have a conferderate flag on my car.. so dont stereotype cause you dont hear me talkin.

LOL well played sir.

His post can be interpreted many ways, as can any law. When it comes right down to it, it's up to the cop, and if you have blue lights in the front of your car you're calling them out. All it takes is 1 cop that doesn't think it's legal, or like it, and you're toast. You can't even fight it in court because technically they can fine you for ANY non OEM modification. Look up hot rod law.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM

this is true. like I said your only hope is a judge when modding to the extreme. Watch out for red and blue gauge clusters! thats an FBI investigation there. flagrant violation
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

^ Sure isn't. Nice shot though my friend
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

Hey Tuner this is off topic but where do you get your Dome Light panel from?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Hey Tuner this is off topic but where do you get your Dome Light panel from?
Seems to have turned OT already lol. I actually sell the ones I have in my car. I got in a larger one recently.

PM me if you want me to send one down, or PM "Tyutunnik", I get my stuff through him anyways. He has things set up much better for the Southern boys (US), I only mess around locally.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Seems to have turned OT already
Been seeing that a lot lately.

It's both shocking and awesome.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM

but certainly the amber or yellow/amber color from the OP
I tried to stay on topic lol
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Meh it's constructively OT at least. Still talking about lighting mods, even to still be talking about the Maxima is admissable to some extent. Threads play there course and we're a social bunch who will take any oppourtunity to rag on each other

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Holy crap! I just realized this is my thread. I'm the OP.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester

Ha I've soiled your thread and took it off topic.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM

muhahahahaha
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Wow... Mr. Rochester just had a DeRp moment!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM

LMAO John I forgot that too.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Not affiliated with above posting.btw Rochester how you enjoying that lakeshore blue G? Ha haha hahaha"in my evil 1970's Kung Fu flick billing voice with sync off"
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

Edit "villin voice" damn autocorrect phone
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Wow, back on topic....so it baisically ment you cant mix and match your lights, so that means the fog lights are ify, but the leds technically do not apply then cause it doesnt display the light out of the vehicle,they are aimed at the radiator.....technically.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM

the original topic was about true amber fogs
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Wow, back on topic....so it baisically ment you cant mix and match your lights, so that means the fog lights are ify, but the leds technically do not apply then cause it doesnt display the light out of the vehicle,they are aimed at the radiator.....technically.
If for real?

the original topic was about true amber fogs
^I'm with this dude

Not in a gay way or anything
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Not affiliated with above posting.btw Rochester how you enjoying that lakeshore blue G? Ha haha hahaha"in my evil 1970's Kung Fu flick billing voice with sync off"
At the moment, I'm enjoying it quite well in my mind. And soon as I locate one, I'm sure to enjoy having it in my garage as well. (And it's Lakeshore "Slate", not "Blue... you fat-fingered gorilla.)

Here's an on-topic tip for all you Northeastern Maxima owners who mess with fog lights: Use penetrating oil and a thin, plastic washer on the fog housing bolts. If you've ever snapped a rusty stud before, you'll understand why.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 AM

At the moment, I'm enjoying it quite well in my mind. And soon as I locate one, I'm sure to enjoy having it in my garage as well. (And it's Lakeshore "Slate", not "Blue... you fat-fingered gorilla.)

Here's an on-topic tip for all you Northeastern Maxima owners who mess with fog lights: Use penetrating oil and a thin, plastic washer on the fog housing bolts. If you've ever snapped a rusty stud before, you'll understand why.
& Antiseize
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 AM

Guys, it looks pink. PINK! It's like I contracted Barbie to customize my fog lights.

Oh my God... Now I understand why Operatic said to use "dark orange".
Haha, had to bring this up again!

For the record, my 9SMD set up is still going strong!

Have we still not achieved the luminosity of stock fogs with the color of Amber LEDs? We may have to throw this one into the cold-case file...
Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 AM

damn, matches well
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Have we still not achieved the luminosity of stock fogs with the color of Amber LEDs? We may have to throw this one into the cold-case file...
Hey, Mike. Yeah, I gave up on this a long time ago.

Sure do love the look of your fogs as it gets dark. I don't know if I ever asked, but can you even see if they're on during the daytime? I use my fogs as DRL's.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM

^when i ran my amber LEDs, you couldn't see it at daytime...thats why i pulled them
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Haha, had to bring this up again!

For the record, my 9SMD set up is still going strong!

Cool picture!

Those lights are way too dim for me personally though. They do match nicely to the marker lights you have.

Hey, Mike. Yeah, I gave up on this a long time ago.

Sure do love the look of your fogs as it gets dark. I don't know if I ever asked, but can you even see if they're on during the daytime? I use my fogs as DRL's.
One thing I found out recently but never bothered to mention to you (because you're getting out of the Maxima game), is I'm pretty sure the maxima's can actually be programmed to run DRL's. most cars made after 2000 were all built the same (US or CAN), it's just a simple dealer programming that activates or deactivates the DRL.

I'm not sure if this is the case for the 5th gen, but may be worth looking into for anyone that's interested in running a DRL system (not many people I"m sure).

As far as this Amber fog convo. All you have to do is get yellow fog lights and then tint the lenses as well, and they'll come out amber.

Don't need much tint if you get the right stuff either. Something similar to the tacoma's headlights would work perfect and be low-key:

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 AM

Luckily for the 5th gens, they now have aftermarket amber fog lamps, more orange than yellow....
Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 AM

bull****!!!!!!!! where?! i saw them once on ebay, then they magically disappeared
Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
bull****!!!!!!!! where?! i saw them once on ebay, then they magically disappeared
Agreed. Link, please.

Quick Reply: Amber H3 Fog Bulbs