5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Timing cover coolant leak ( pics )

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Timing cover coolant leak ( pics )

So i have been noticing some drips of coolant from the timing cover, and it looks like it may be coming from either the cover itself ( can't see where ) . or from behind the crank pulley. my problem is it looks to be dripping and not being " flung " .

i saw a thread where there was a coolant tube that runs along side the engine timing cover, but i can't find it. is it on the oil filter side? or on the firewall side?

here's some pics , you may not be able to make out the coolant drips, but if you look where the upper pan & block mate, you could see some wetness.

Last edited by Amave; 02-21-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 PM

You do not have an engine oil cooler so you can ignore any referance to the coolant tube and hose related to that. Are you sure that it isn't originating from from the pump inlet hose (the cold rad hose) or elbow gasket, or the pump drain plug? The pump shaft seal leakage "witness"/"weep" hole is located at the rear timing chain case to block flange just at the upper oil pan/block flange, on the front side, close to the AC compressor. Check to see if coolant is migrating around from there.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
You do not have an engine oil cooler so you can ignore any referance to the coolant tube and hose related to that. Are you sure that it isn't originating from from the pump inlet hose (the cold rad hose) or elbow gasket, or the pump drain plug? The pump shaft seal leakage "witness"/"weep" hole is located at the rear timing chain case to block flange just at the upper oil pan/block flange, on the front side, close to the AC compressor. Check to see if coolant is migrating around from there.

yeah i'll have to check that area, i haven't been able to really find time to get into it, i've been so slammed at work i can barely even look at my car, let alone troubleshoot it.

i plan on doing a cooling pressure system test, maybe pressurizing the system will reveal where the leak is originating from.

i was hoping it wasn't the water pump o-rings or anything related, since i read that if that is the case, coolant will get into the timing cover and into the oil, although i don't see coolant in my oil...

strange
Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 AM

Sorry but I believe you need a water pump. I don't think there is much of a chance of it being anything else.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by williamgd2
Sorry but I believe you need a water pump. I don't think there is much of a chance of it being anything else.

how so if no coolant is coming out of the access plate?

and if it is coming out of the o-rings wouldn't they leak into the oil in the timing cover?

i'd change the water pump, but i have to confirm thats where it is leaking from
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Amave
how so if no coolant is coming out of the access plate?

and if it is coming out of the o-rings wouldn't they leak into the oil in the timing cover?

i'd change the water pump, but i have to confirm thats where it is leaking from
check for milky engine oil if its getting into the crankcase.

looks like your oil pan is leaking
Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM

coolant leak

did you check the thermostat housing. It could be leaking from above?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
check for milky engine oil if its getting into the crankcase.

looks like your oil pan is leaking

yeah i checked for coolan t in my oil, but it has none. i just did an oil change 2 weeks ago and i keep checking my oil and nothing???

i'd just change out the water pump, but i don't know if that's my source
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Amave
yeah i checked for coolan t in my oil, but it has none. i just did an oil change 2 weeks ago and i keep checking my oil and nothing???

i'd just change out the water pump, but i don't know if that's my source
dude,did u solve the problem? cuz i just change my water pump last week, and now it start back leakin again 2 days ago
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by LONERANGERSR20
dude,did u solve the problem? cuz i just change my water pump last week, and now it start back leakin again 2 days ago
no, strangely enough i cleaned up the area with a couple of cans of brake clean , just so i can tr and locate the source, and it hasn't leaked since i cleaned it up ...

to this day i haven't seen any coolant. strange.

did you torque the bolts to spec?