5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket clutch/flywheel issues (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Aftermarket clutch/flywheel issues (long)

First off I want to say that it's been a long while since I've posted on here so if I am breaking any rules (I posted a similar question on another thread) please let me know and I'll change whatever I need to.

Ok. Here's the deal. A few years ago I replaced my stock clutch and flywheel. The flywheel was unorthodox racing and the clutch and pressure plate was an exedy "replacement" type. I remember my mechanic at the time had to take something off of the original flywheel (starter gear I think) and do some other mods to make the new pressure plate fit. Apparently the new pressure plate had different mounting points or something like that. Anyway, the peddle feel was softer, which I hated. I have always suspected that the pressure plate was inadequate in it's pressure. This setup lasted for a bit until I got a new MAF, which gave my car life again, but the clutch immediatly started slipping. When my new mechanic took out the replacement clutch, it had oil all over it (rear main seal leak). He put the stock clutch back in b/c it still had a good amount of life but kept the same weak pressure plate because the old one would no long bolt up to the flywheel. Again I was worried b/c I thought that the pressure plate was too light. The seal was fixed as well. This last fix was done about 6 months ago and I drive hard, but have been consciously avoiding hard starts.

Fast-forward to today....I see a fart-canned ricer civic trying to show off and we end up at a stop light next to each other in a pretty remote area. Now, please don't start with the flames, I rarely do this kind of thing anymore and I just couldn't pass this up. This is the first hard start I've done in a while and I hit redline in first rather quickly so then I shifted to second and the clutch caught initially but then bounced on the tach and again in third; it happend fast and didn't realize the clutch was slipping at first. Needless to say, once I realized what was happening I totally let off and the fart rocket sped past, revving his engine in victory, and I was befuddled and slightly pissed. I can drive it now normally without it slipping but I like to drive hard and I know it's only a matter of time till the damn thing gives out.

So now I'm looking for the final solution. I'm asking the org's advice because I obviously have limited experience in this area. I want to keep the unorthodox flywheel but I need to figure out why the original pressure plate no longer fits. I'm looking at a stage one or two clutch to solve the slipping problem for good. It's a 3.0 so the 350 swap won't work. I don't mind a heavier peddle feel, actually kind of like it, and I want to never open up the tranny again. So, what do you guys recommend? Stock replacement is out of the question, I need something that grips very well. I would like to go the cheaper rout (who wouldn't nowadays) and get the clutch off of ebay or something similar, but I'm planning on driving this car till the wheels fall off so I need quality stuff. My mods are listed in my sig but it's basically cattman gen 2 headers and cattman cattback, CAI, flywheel, and my VIAS (VAIS? I forget) valve has been pulled out so no real lowend torque but good high end hp. So what stage/brand did you guys go with and why? What would you recommend for my situation?

Oh, on a side note, ever since the last clutch job the car shakes like mad at wot throughout the gears, almost like something is unbalanced in the tranny. I always chalked it up to the lightweight flywheel but who knows. I do have hardcore motor mounts installed as well if that makes a difference. The tranny was rebuilt as well 6 months ago.

So, thank you all who actually read through all of this crap, I'm just kinda up in the air about all of this right now. I appreciate any and all info and would like to apologize for the extra long post, I know I'm long winded...
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Toolie

get an exedy stage 1, heavier pedal and grips like a ****
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Thank you for the response.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
get an exedy stage 1, heavier pedal and grips like a ****
I installed a stage 1 F1 racing clutch i bought off ebay. I thought it would have a stiffer pedal pressure than stock but mine doesn't. It feels lighter than stock. is this normal?