5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dilemma.. wish i had these all time (want your input)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 AM

Dilemma.. wish i had these all time (want your input)

SO my birthday is coming up in July and i want my wish list to give my wife. I love my maxima and wish i had enough money to do anything i want to her but... that aint happening. So one of the thoughts that im on right now is what do i want more.
I want rims and a stage 2 lower tie brace. One is for performance and the other for looks.. and a maybe a little performance with weight savings.
I know im gonna get a bunch of different answers but i want to see what everyones preference would be.

The max looks good right now but rims would set it off. I have the stock 7 spoke glew rims. Looks nice but you know. If i get rims they will stay 17 inch cause the car already is on the verge of a rough ride on bad roads and i live in mass so they all suck. I would buy used so id try to stay at 300 or less.
Ok so thats the visual purchase.
Or i could buy the stage 2 for lots cheaper and have more handling performace. But i ask is it a major difference in feel. Is it a adding a FSTB feel or is it way more noticeable than that.
What would you guys do?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Toolie

rsb will make the car handle better
Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 AM

hey jeff....that all depends upon how you drive the max most of the time....I had a similar choice last year (performance mod vs looks mod).....I decided to go with the rims.....I cruise more than I take turns fast.....plus.....winters up here in the midwest with all the @#%@#% salt they put offered my an option to use the stock rims with dedicated winter tires (got cheap with purchase of rims)....was an additional incentive to go with the rims...oh and one more thing....you are right with the better handling with the lighter rims...I noticed that right away...so in a way...you get the best of both worlds....just my 2cents though.....
Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
rsb will make the car handle better
He has one. Mods aren't in his sig, but they're on his CarDomain:
  • Cai Intake with BBK air filter
  • Sprint Springs
  • Tokico illuminas
  • Test Pipe
  • Flowmaster 50 series muffler
  • Progress rear sway bar
Based on this, I'd recommend better exhaust piping as a priority for next mods.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Toolie

in that case I say got for some rims
Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
RR5

End of the day you have to do what makes you happy. If the new wheels are what you really want, I'd go with that. Unless you aggressive drive everywhere, then go for the handling modification.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
He has one. Mods aren't in his sig, but they're on his CarDomain:
  • Cai Intake with BBK air filter
  • Sprint Springs
  • Tokico illuminas
  • Test Pipe
  • Flowmaster 50 series muffler
  • Progress rear sway bar
Based on this, I'd recommend better exhaust piping as a priority for next mods.
Thanks Rochester, im beginning to believe you are the forums new Soonerfan or Irish.. thats a compliment. On your comment better exhaust? I knew on the vq30's it made a diff but does it make that much on an 02-03. Actually what are you referring to headers or ypipe or the catback. Would love headers but that would be a def later on down the road mod.
2GOB4.. i assumed with AM rims there would be some improvements in ride and handling. My only thought is this the one rim im looking at are the 17in weighs 21.?? and the gle rims weigh 26. With only a 5lb difference would i notice a difference in feel? Damn you ppl for not making it any easier.
i dont drive my max to the edge but there are ocassions i like to put it through its paces. With that said i would like a ride that is a looker. It looks modded now but rims would be real nice visually. Can anyone say in the stage 2 made a HUGE difference? Oh so you know i was looking at a set of 17in konig prophets for 200-250.

This is a nother i was looking at. i dont know brand or model. does anyone know what these are. Said they were on a 95 eclipse http://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/1595996137.html

Last edited by jeff5347; 03-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
Thanks Rochester, im beginning to believe you are the forums new Soonerfan or Irish.. thats a compliment.
You're welcome, and I appreciate the compliment. However, I don't at all have the hardcore mechanic and track skills like Irish, nor do I ever expect to become as jaded as Sooner... Just trying to rep for the modded daily driver, pay it forward and stay positive.

On topic... here's my experience. Take from it whatever you want.
  1. 4 years ago - Frankencar Intake w/Apexi filter. Minor gain, lots of fun, lots of noise.
  2. 3 years ago - Cattman 2.5" catback. Slightly more gain, more noise, kind of raspy.
  3. 2 years ago - Cattman Y-Pipe. This seemed to really do the trick, working very well with the intake and catback. Plus, the exhaust tone deepened with the uneven length y-pipe, which was nice.
  4. Last year - NWP Phenolic intake spacers. Yeah, baby! Nissan should have manufactured these as OEM. They are awesome.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
On topic... here's my experience. Take from it whatever you want.
  1. 4 years ago - Frankencar Intake w/Apexi filter. Minor gain, lots of fun, lots of noise.
  2. 3 years ago - Cattman 2.5" catback. Slightly more gain, more noise, kind of raspy.
  3. 2 years ago - Cattman Y-Pipe. This seemed to really do the trick, working very well with the intake and catback. Plus, the exhaust tone deepened with the uneven length y-pipe, which was nice.
  4. Last year - NWP Phenolic intake spacers. Yeah, baby! Nissan should have manufactured these as OEM. They are awesome.
Intake spacers. Pfft, for chumps with aluminum intake manifolds

Just kidding

The Lower Tie Bar will reduce your ground clearance by a lot, I'd either get headers or coilovers. Or a 3" catback.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM

i know 20 lbs overall does not seem like much, however, I did feel a difference in steering response...i guess is decreased unsprung weight??? not sure.... but car did seem to corner better as well...oh i too stayed with 17's and I increased the width of the tire to the maximum without getting into rubbing problems (235W).....maybe that is what is giving me better response...funny when I went back to the factory rims with 215W winter tires....car felt more sloppy...interesting now that I think about it
Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Come the end of the day your the one to decide, as Rochester has said, for the performance side based on what you currently have installed ... redo the exhaust and piping ... and if your in the mood to be able to see that birthday gift everytime you approach the car I agree with knight_yyz and go for the rims. On a bit of the down side the budget amount is a bit on the low side even for second hand good stuff, a budget closer to $500.00 is more realistic ... oh and Happy upcoming Birthday enjoy the shopping!!!!!