5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally got a VIAS block plate....the verdict is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
faster than you think

I installed BOP today and was not happy with result. I can feel the torque loss. Some how engine runs more smoother. I didn't feel any gain up top.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I can't report on the vias specifically, but I can compare gas mileage completely stock with full boltons + tune.

Stock I was getting 16-19 city and 24-26 highway**** My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city would be 22-23mpg

Intake, spacers, vias delete, headers/ypipe, test pipe, 3" catback, UTEC tuned and I now see around 19-22 city and 26-29 on the higyway. My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city is 25-26mpg

I don't know which of those mods added/lost, but in total I've gained 3-4mpg overall.

Edited for trip computer accuracy.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by tedo007
I installed BOP today and was not happy with result. I can feel the torque loss. Some how engine runs more smoother. I didn't feel any gain up top.
maybe its cause it comes with so much hype... really people it does its job but its nothing your going to feel
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Sparks, does a bunch of oil drip out of the breather filter for you?

A friend of mine down here just uses a peice of hose there slightly angled up but not connected back to the intake. So i guess if it spits out any oil it will just drain back into the valve cover. It doesn't look as nifty as the filter but it might end up being a little less messy. Do you see anything wrong with this setup?
thats one the reasons i dont use em... i have seen where they get filled with oil after a while, plus the ones at advance and pepboys nver fit for me for some reason
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Rochester, if you're planning on doing this mod in May, why dont you make it yourself and save the money for something else. i did just that with 1/16th inch steel, used a saws-all, bench grinder and got mine to fit. All i did was clean the mani to get it clean, used RTV and bolted on it is leak free. i think it took me all of and hour or less to do. I agree with Sparks and Grand on this too. I can feel a slight difference and def fell it left some on the table at the low end and gain or feels like it gained like sparks says in the top end. Im just glad i didn't spend 40 bucks for it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
Rochester, if you're planning on doing this mod in May, why dont you make it yourself and save the money for something else. i did just that with 1/16th inch steel, used a saws-all, bench grinder and got mine to fit. All i did was clean the mani to get it clean, used RTV and bolted on it is leak free. i think it took me all of and hour or less to do. I agree with Sparks and Grand on this too. I can feel a slight difference and def fell it left some on the table at the low end and gain or feels like it gained like sparks says in the top end. Im just glad i didn't spend 40 bucks for it.
multiple ppl made there own, but some rather not even going through making it and the cool NWP emblem, thats all (reason i bought mines)
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

It takes a couple minutes to cut it off the original one. I'm not knocking NWP in anyway, but I personally wouldnt pay for it. But that's because I currently am jobless..

Now the spacers I'd get in a heartbeat.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
I understand, I do. It's a valid point of view. For myself, I want Aaron's $60 over a DIY or even his $40 plate, purely because it's so freaking attractive. Shameless, I know. But worth the extra $20 for me...

...as soon as he get em back in stock.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by tedo007
Drive it a few days, takes time for the ECU to adjust to it, just like with any mod that affect airflow through the engine.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
faster than you think

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Drive it a few days, takes time for the ECU to adjust to it, just like with any mod that affect airflow through the engine.
May be you are right. I should give it a little time. I'm going next Friday to track to see if it helps any. Also order the cattman 3" cat-back. After I receive that I will be doing dyno.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by fitness stain
what kind of RX-7 do you have?
(off topic i know, but i'm a fan and couldnt resist)

i used to own a turbo FC and loved it .. had a decent amount of work into it, before i sold it
It's a 87 (FC). It's sitting stripped in the driveway waiting for me to invest in a 5-lug swap, LSX mount kit, and a LQ4/TH350 + tons of electronics/accessories. It's going to be a long project but won't cost too much and should be stupid fast at the drag strip. Ultimate plan is to turbo the LQ4 and go with a solid rear end but that will be years down the line.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM

I remember when i was wanting to do this. I definitely did not want to pay the 60 bucks for the plate so i took the stock one and cut the butterfly plate part off the back and grinded it smooth. Threaded the hole left behind in the middle and stuck a short stud into it. Very easy to make one for those who are creative and have a tight budget. Removal to see what you would be up against is extremely easy as it only takes a minute or two to take out.

Anyway, after modifying the plate i noticed a slightly better topend pull. Also the bottom end felt the same pretty much so that was good. I felt more positive feelings about it than negative, not to mention getting rid of the vacuums and that ugly black canister really cleans things up. I would definitely recommend it whether it be custom or the real deal, ugly or shiny new whatever one's tastes may be.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM

i agree with both sides, i will admit i bought mines just for the NWP imprint and i was to lazy to do otherwise.... but i can see why ppl make there own... its just really simple
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax

ditto......I had disconnected my negative while I was doing the delete.....then started car and let idle for 5 mins or so to relearn air flow at idle.....seemed to work I guess.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM

It doesn't take as long for the ECU to adjust to mods as you all think. It does it on the fly via the o2 feedback loop (while in closed loop)...

Your short term fuel trims adjust almost instantly, and the long terms will take a little longer, but the long term fuel trims wont change the way the car runs, they are just there to absorb some of the offset so the short terms don't have to change as much.

If you don't notice any difference by the time you get down to the end of your street, you wont notice one at all.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
It doesn't take as long for the ECU to adjust to mods as you all think. It does it on the fly via the o2 feedback loop (while in closed loop)...

Your short term fuel trims adjust almost instantly, and the long terms will take a little longer, but the long term fuel trims wont change the way the car runs, they are just there to absorb some of the offset so the short terms don't have to change as much.

If you don't notice any difference by the time you get down to the end of your street, you wont notice one at all.
Yep this is very true. When I do a major change that skews the AF, I can literally watch it adjust in just seconds on the wideband display for closed loop to get that 14.7.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Yep this is very true. When I do a major change that skews the AF, I can literally watch it adjust in just seconds on the wideband display for closed loop to get that 14.7.
Same here. When I switched to an open y, it ran lean at idle for like 6 seconds then went back down.

Btw, does your wideband read around 13.9-14.2 when cruising? Mine does and I'm thinking that it's a little too rich for just cruising.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Same here. When I switched to an open y, it ran lean at idle for like 6 seconds then went back down.

Btw, does your wideband read around 13.9-14.2 when cruising? Mine does and I'm thinking that it's a little too rich for just cruising.
Mine pretty consistently sits between 14.4 and 14.8 when cruising. If I go above about 10% throttle, it'll start to richen out a little.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 PM
大陆弟弟

For all the people who have the BOP and felt no difference, what speeds did you take it up to? I felt the car definitely pulled harder after 80MPH to ..... and can understand how driving around town or going WOT till ~60-70MPH you felt no difference.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM

what a waste, car pulls harder after 4000rpm but before that its a toilet, the gains on the big end are not enough to compensate for the loss
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Maybe Nissan's next engine will have a continuously variable VIAS (I know the wording doesn't make sense)...

Instead of just two positions, it can be everywhere in between, optimized for each RPM and load.

Just thinking.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Maybe Nissan's next engine will have a continuously variable VIAS (I know the wording doesn't make sense)...

Instead of just two positions, it can be everywhere in between, optimized for each RPM and load.

Just thinking.
you make a good point, i have no clue how vias even works, all i know is my car made alot more low end torque before. would porting the stock manifold make a difference??
Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by caseyvr6
you make a good point, i have no clue how vias even works, all i know is my car made alot more low end torque before. would porting the stock manifold make a difference??
VIAS is a system that changes the intake manifold geometry when it is activated. It is a butterfly valve that opens at a specified rpm ( I think 4300 or something).

It basically changes the effective length of the intake runners, thus "tuning" the manifold for different RPM ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variabl...ntake_manifold

And porting is always good, assuming you know what you're doing.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

The new plastic 3.5 IM have 2 VIAS now. One is in the same location as our previous 3.5 IM and the other is on the driver side in the same area as the 2000 VI's actuator.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM

Seems pretty good for the price, think it great I might get that soon always good to have that top end power since alot of people like to be pushing between 80 to 100 plus messing around on freeway late nights!!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Seems pretty good for the price, think it great I might get that soon always good to have that top end power since alot of people like to be pushing between 80 to 100 plus messing around on freeway late nights!!
You don't have to be going 80+ mph to make use of top end power... Maybe you'll get lucky and get caught before you kill yourself.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-29-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM

You don't have to be going 80+ mph to make use of top end power... Maybe you'll get lucky and get caught before you kill yourself.
And/or somebody else. You don't have to be going fast for top end power. It's about R.P.M's not M.P.H!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM

See I wasn't even in here and It broke out in to a cluster F*#%! LMAO....I wonder why?????
Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

if your into top speed runs like a bozo this is for you other than that it sucks dont waste your money
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM

if your into top speed runs like a bozo this is for you other than that it sucks dont waste your money
Well THANKYOU for insulting me and everyone else on the org that has the plate installed.....

It is not about the speed....it is about the RPM range....therefore...the benefits are realized in every gear at the top end....furthermore....once the car is in motion and AT highway speeds...horsepower is more beneficial than torque.

I swear...some of you guys make it sound like the car loses 100 lb/ft of torque with this....and turns into a Smart for Two...

We are all adults here (I hope!)....one can render their opinion without the insults.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

If [capitalized] you're [contraction] into top speed runs, [comma] like a bozo, [comma] this is for you. [period] Other [capitalized] than that, [comma] it sucks. [period] Don't [capitalized and contracted] waste your money. [period]

Who's the bozo?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
If [capitalized] you're [contraction] into top speed runs, [comma] like a bozo, [comma] this is for you. [period] Other [capitalized] than that, [comma] it sucks. [period] Don't [capitalized and contracted] waste your money. [period]

Who's the bozo?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM

I love this site. You can learn about things to help improve the perfomance of your car and grammer all at the same time!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by spock
I love this site. You can learn about things to help improve the perfomance of your car and grammer all at the same time!
We'll work on spelling next.
performance
grammar
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by brucerap
We'll work on spelling next.
performance
grammar
Ouch!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 PM

It's more my lack of typing skills than spelling. Wise ****.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM

And/or somebody else. You don't have to be going fast for top end power. It's about R.P.M's not M.P.H!
So what are you guys saying with the RPMs cause when I cruise on the freeway about 75 or 80 I'm about 3000rpms so are you just talking about what exactly? just asking you or Sparks and not being a a$$ just would like to know. And damn you never hit a 100 on a freeway?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:38 AM

In this case, "top end" is in reference to engine speed, not car speed. The shift in HP, from removing your VIAS, provides small HP gains when the engine speed is over 3800 rpm (or thereabouts). So if you're doing 80 mph in 6th gear and 3000 rpm, the improved air flow does not come into play.

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
And damn you never hit a 100 on a freeway?
In the last 10 years, I can count those events on one hand. When I was a kid, nightly. I don't say that with pride.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 AM

Up here, if your caught doing more than 50 Km over the limit it's considered racing and the cops take your car. I don't like that law, but it's a pretty good deterant.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:04 AM

Yeah check out how slow the block off plate made this bozo off the line. What an idiot, doesn't he know the BOP is only good for top speed runs!?!?!?

Originally Posted by Rochester
In this case, "top end" is in reference to engine speed, not car speed. The shift in HP, from removing your VIAS, provides small HP gains when the engine speed is over 3800 rpm (or thereabouts). So if you're doing 80 mph in 6th gear and 3000 rpm, the improved air flow does not come into play.

In the last 10 years, I can count those events on one hand. When I was a kid, nightly. I don't say that with pride.
Yeah... I learned my lesson the hard way. Needless to say, I don't ever exceed 10-15 over the limit and even then for only short periods on a highway on-ramp.

Up here, if your caught doing more than 50 Km over the limit it's considered racing and the cops take your car. I don't like that law, but it's a pretty good deterant.
Harsh, but that's a good law. I've personally watched one of my friends get out of going 110 in a 65... He just talked his way out of it and even if he had gotten the ticket (without reckless driving) he could have gotten it dropped to an insignificant charge with a lawyer. I'd rather it be harsh like yours than a joke like it is here.

Quick Reply: Finally got a VIAS block plate....the verdict is...