5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

High idle cause funky transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I love lamp.

High idle cause funky transmission issue?

So a couple weeks ago, I installed NWP spacers. While I did that I did a couple things, cleaned out the IM, TB (didn't muck with the plate), and replaced the spark plugs.

After things where button up, started up the car and the idle is certainly high (about 1300-1500 rpms at first, then settles to 1000-1100 rpm). No big deal, try to do the relearn. Well that works great, until I start the car again. Very common thing. Well another problem suddenly surfaced. Occasionally it seems like doesn't have 1st gear...but more like it's in failsafe mode and starting in 3rd gear...then it'll pop into 1st gear.

Today after I was driving on the freeway, it did that failsafe mode thing again. I drove thru downtown seattle in 3rd gear. During that I tried cycling thru the gears, no change. I tried turning the car off and on, no change. When I got to the parking lot at work. I tried putting the car in reverse and found I had no reverse. I tried revving the car more than it pops in and everything returns to normal.

So I go check the fluid, level is good, fluid looks clear on the dipstick, but more of a reddish/brown on a paper towel. It blots good on a paper towel. Doesn't smell burnt. It could probably use a drain/fill. The transmission doesn't slip, but does have the 2nd-3rd flare. When cold, 1st to 2nd shifts are a little slow if you punch it (ususally when I'm trying to merge on to the freeway after going thru a traffic meter).

What is everyone's thoughts?

I already have a couple to-do items:
1. Have Nissan do the consult IAV relearn done via consult.
2. Change the trans fluid.

S

Last edited by maximase86; 04-30-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's creepy. Run some codes and see what pops up. I thought it actually went into fail safe, but you said you were able to rev it, which then that means it wasn't fail safe, as fail safe only let's the throttle open 10% and takes an hour to get there.

With all that said, seems as if actually may be a tranny issue ..
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I love lamp.

Definitely need to check codes again. I know I have the high idle one still, but haven't check since the last time it came up a few days ago.

S
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I love lamp.

I thinking of flushing the trans with amsoil. Anyone think that maybe problematic? Car only has 85k, and I've done a drain/fill 15k ago. Not sure if how the previous owners have kept maintenance.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Could be your speed sensor going bad and freaking out the TCM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I love lamp.

I'll have to look into that one. I went ahead and went ***** to the wall. Flush the transmission with amsoil ATF. Man the old stuff was super dark in comparison. Now it's bright pink. Shifts seem a little firmer, but overall it doesn't seem much different to how it drives before. Wednesday I'll have the idle reset. Since Friday's fiasco, the car has been fine *knocks on wood*.

S
Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is you Speed Sensor. My 01 GLE was doing the same thing.... plus my CV joints where bad too.... But Change out the speed sensor and you should be all set....

Last edited by G.G.; 05-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I love lamp.

So I had the dealer near my house hook up Consult II, do the timing advance and idle relearn. They couldn't get the idle to come down. They also said my fans won't turn off, but I've never noticed that problem. They probably didn't do the TSB either...but I did it the manual way without any luck either. So it could be that there is a problem with my TB or even ECU...just don't have that sort of money though. All that cost $140 bucks...retarded.

S
Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Did they pull any codes? Seems like the first thing they should have done ...

Did they give a reason for the fans on all the time, i.e. was the ECT that high?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Did they pull any codes? Seems like the first thing they should have done ...

Did they give a reason for the fans on all the time, i.e. was the ECT that high?
I had 1 code that I pulled prior which was P0507 Idle Speed control system RPM higher than expected. That was the only code. When I gave them the car, I gave it to them hot after a 30 minute drive back from work.

Their notes are:

Adjusted timing and performed idle relearn per customer request. Idle would not come back down below 1700. Engine fans do not turn off. Customer declined additional time to investigate problem. The car had several wiring and engine modifications.

This is retarded because the only time my idle goes near 1700 is when you start the car and and it revs up. It settles down with in a few seconds to about 1000-1100 rpms when in park/neutral, but does down to 800-1000 rpm in gear. I just started the car up again, and the fans were not on. I'm sort of wondering if they really did do the timing advance (I did provide instructions)...I'm pretty sure they didn't even do the TSB. All the wiring they saw in the car was for my bloody angel eyes. Aside from a pop charger, catback and NWP spacers, there really isn't much else done to the car. When they told me all this, I just told them to stop because I could see clearly they were going to want to start replacing a bunch of stuff.

S
Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah that sucks damn dealers, cant even help an owner out.

They were BS'ing on the fans, and if they knew a thing or 2, they would have checked the CT w/ Consult II, and verified the reason for the fans being on (AC &/or ECT high).

I would try the relearn again, it takes a few tried, but it will eventually be back to normal, mine did the same thing.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Yeah that sucks damn dealers, cant even help an owner out.

They were BS'ing on the fans, and if they knew a thing or 2, they would have checked the CT w/ Consult II, and verified the reason for the fans being on (AC &/or ECT high).

I would try the relearn again, it takes a few tried, but it will eventually be back to normal, mine did the same thing.
I'm going to. One thing I've noticed is the idle seems to have slowly come down a little since the problem came up. Aside from that, and the transmission being funky a couple times, the car has been fine.

S
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Forgot to ask, did the tranny selector/readout thingy in the dash show that it was in 3rd?

I'm curious about this since I have had some semi-similar incidents occur.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I love lamp.

Nope, each time it happened the indicator and shifter was in D. There wasn't a A/T check light either. The funkiness did happen again today more than once, it seems that the only time it happens right after I've done a kick down on the freeway around 60-65mph. However it will get back to 1st with a blip of the throttle.

The other weird thing I've noticed the smell of ATF inside the car since the fluid change however, I think that might just be spilled fluid that needs burn off because I think the guys spilled some when they topped off the car.

S
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, I smell that or oil whenver the DS's at the shops screwing spill stuff.

Mine wouldn't go into 4th, and when it would, it was a strange sorta almost jolt, clumsy shift, but the light was sorta half and half 3/4.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I love lamp.

So it appears my idle issue and trans issue is seperate of each other. I did the idle relearn to get the idle down, but instead of turning the car off, I just drove the car to see how the transmission reacts. I can get that safe mode like action by just punching it in first now. It also seems like the car doesn't fully engage into 2nd until I let off the throttle...then it would bite pretty hard (it even chirps the wheels when it does that...but clearly it's slipping) on a wot run. It seems to shift fine in normal driving with the typical 2-3 flare. There is times where I let off the throttle and the trans can't decide which gear it should be in. So it looks like I'll be looking to do a trans...just a matter of when. I'm just going to keep driving it, but be easy on it. Check the fluid on a regular basis. During that time, I'll save up for a decent used trans (can find stuff around here between $400-900) and I'll probably get a the transgo shift kit to go in it.

As for the idle, I think I have a couple things to do. I can temporary revert back to stock and see if it changes anything. Replace the TB, or replace the ECU. I rather not replace the ECU if I can.

S
Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe vacuum leak since you took a lot of things apart?

You're scaring me because I plan to do the exact same with my 01 minus the spacer. Good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I love lamp.

Well I eliminated a vaccuum leak. Simply because if I do the idle relearn, it will go down to the proper idle. The problem is my car will simply not keep what it learns. Turn off the car and back on, and the idle is high again. Also I went to far as to spray down the IM with throttle body cleaner to make sure there wasn't some sort of vacuum issue. There was none. From what I've seen on the board, the idle relearn not sticking is a common issue.

S
Old 05-10-2010, 02:34 AM

i have the same idle issue with my car if you learn anything keep us posted
Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I love lamp.

So I figure I'd provide an update. I don't get wierd shifting often. It seems to happens on days that I drive a little more aggressive. Also if I'm super hard on the car, you can get a hint of ATF smell, and every now and then I'll noticed a drop of ATF on the ground (but that would be it, and I can go a few weeks with out loosing another single drop...it's very inconsistent). Not sure where it's coming from. The pan seems clean, and the bellhousing seems clean, though it looks like there is some atf on that sort of chute deal near the diff.

The level seems to make it just inside the hot markings when checking the fluid (while running and the car has been driven for at least 15 minutes). I now keep a quart of ATF in the car, and another quart at home and I check the fluid often. Color seems to stay the same.

I've thought about just replacing the transmission all together and install the transgo shift kit. reizy suggested I try doing the shift kit first. Still no A/T light (and the light works, it does come on when you turn the ignition on, but goes out within a second of turning the car on). I've also saw that there is a rebuild kit made by level 10. Perhaps I should get the rebuild, plus the shift kit? Also thinking of an external trans cooler as well...thoughts?

BTW, reizy hooked up the Cipher to my car. Turns out the dealer didn't adjust my timing at all, so we set it to 17 degrees, and of course my idle went up again. We tried the relearn with it, and still had same results (but said the relearn completed). So we attempted to dial the idle down, and, well it couldn't go down, it could only adjust the idle up. I just bought another TB to try out before I look at swapping the ECU.

S

Last edited by maximase86; 08-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM

The relearn will not take on mine either, it starts up at around 1100 then will settle to about 950 but she runs really well andpulls hard. ses remains on. I am going to contact aaron and see if he has any input on this. Ill post anything i hear on this thread.