5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is the best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM

What is the best intake?

Which one has the best gains?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 PM

research please, you're making us newbies look bad
Old 05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you have to ask such a silly question, keep it simple and get a JWT POP.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Turbo'd Saab

s
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 PM

http://www.holley.com/

check these guys out and take your time and search out whats best for your car..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by cmax1
http://www.holley.com/

check these guys out and take your time and search out whats best for your car..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 PM

I enjoy the intake of alcohol.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by killer00
Which one has the best gains?
Well it's not that easy to answer as there are several variables to consider.

You have to consider some of the following criteria before coming to any solid conclusion:

1. body weight
2. time of day
3. time period of consumption
4. percentage of alcohol per litre consumed
5. food intake
6. consumption of any extracurricular substances before, during or after
7. and the list goes on and on and on...

Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Cletus

really??

these threads are still happening
Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 PM

The Berk short ram is generally considered the best. I learned that by searching.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I laughed my a$$ off to this.

... I know I shouldn't feed stupid questions but go with berk.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Cletus

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
The Berk short ram is generally considered the best. I learned that by searching.
+1 BERK w/ Apexi filter ftw
Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 AM
NOT INVITED TO MAXUS 2010

home made 3'' ID maf/pipe going into your fenderwall is the 100% best. and the cheapest to boot.

oh and you suck for not searching
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Yet ANOTHER intake thread....how lovely...there is no "best" intake...its all on preferance, how deep your wallet,and what youre looking to get....for instance a sri intake will give you more throttle response and typically usually higher gains in the higher rpms from what ive noticed,as a cold air intake is more throughout your power range,although this has never been put to paper from what ive researched, basically it comes down to an intake is an intake whether its sri or cold air, if you want NOTICEABLE gains....buy a turbo or supercharge your max otherwise research it before like the OP said..making us newbs look bad basically....
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
+1 BERK w/ Apexi filter ftw
M1RAG3, my old Frankencar w/APexi filter is basically the same setup. And I'm very happy with it as well. But have you ever considered swapping out the Apexi for a larger AEM with a velocity stack? I've been curious lately about having more surface area to the filter, and this velocity stack thingy.

Any opinion? (Anyone, really.)
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 AM

Go with the jwt pop
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

5th gen section is turning into the 4th gen section it seems...
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM

belt driven ftw
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Personally I think the STOCK intake has the best, I've just recently taken off my ram air and converted back to stock so from trying many different intakes here is what my butt dyno and my foot noticed.

1. Stock with resonator- Great overall power, and nice jump when I first step on the gas. But there seems to be poor torque, going up a hill seems tougher with the stock intake than other intakes. Also temperature doesn't affect this intake much, I tried removing my resonator on the 4th gen and it made my car feel worse because there is a open pipe sucking in hot engine air so I put a cap on the hole that goes to the resonator that used to be there and I got more sound plus no loss in power (Or it feels like it didn't). Also one unrelated thing I did because my stock intake was fading its color, was paint it black again with some paint and my car some how feels stronger during acceleration. I am not sure if the paint is shielding the intake from the engine heat or whatever but it might just be the weather or whatever.

2. Ram air- Not very good accelerating from a stop up until like 35 MPH. From about 45-60 MPH there is good power, but after just recently converting back to stock (Which was yesterday) the power a ram air gives at 45-60 is still bad compared to stock. But from 60-90 MPH as long as you are on a flat road and not going up a hill there is great acceleration. Also on a cold day it feels extra powerful but conversely during those hot summer days your car feels like a slug. And plus, there is a lot of sexy engine sound at high RPM.

3. Cold air intake- I only tried this one for like a month or two a long time ago before I took it off because I was afraid of accidentally getting hydrolocked in Washington's wonderful 24/7 rain. But from what I remember accelerating from a stop, it feels just like stock maybe even better and from there up to about 60 MPH there is great acceleration. But above 65 it seems to be lacking the OOMPH you feel with the ram air intake. You can see your speed going up, but it doesn't feel like it. And just like the ram air, you get a lot of nice sound.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 05-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Rochester
M1RAG3, my old Frankencar w/APexi filter is basically the same setup. And I'm very happy with it as well. But have you ever considered swapping out the Apexi for a larger AEM with a velocity stack? I've been curious lately about having more surface area to the filter, and this velocity stack thingy.

Hey John, Ghost switched to a slightly shorter short ram and added the velocity stack with the bigger filter and he says it is much better than the short ram by itself.

AND to answer which is the best intake? Mine of course...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...akes-00-a.html

(I know shameless plug)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Hey John, Ghost switched to a slightly shorter short ram and added the velocity stack with the bigger filter and he says it is much better than the short ram by itself.
"Much better"? If it's really that noticeable between this setup and the standard length mid-pipe and the Apexi pop-charger, then count me in as interested.

Ray, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to talk to you and Jim about, and see first-hand. Sell your last shorty if you can between now and then; don't hold it for me. If I like what I see, I'll put in a special order.

Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Road trip! Possibly a test drive, Eh John?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Road trip! Possibly a test drive, Eh John?
Probably after Maxus, but yeah, a small road trip.

I got that fancy new enhanced NY license that lets me cross into Mexico and Canada without a passport.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Are you sure the Mounties are aware of that licence?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Yet ANOTHER intake thread....how lovely...there is no "best" intake...its all on preferance, how deep your wallet,and what youre looking to get....for instance a sri intake will give you more throttle response and typically usually higher gains in the higher rpms from what ive noticed,as a cold air intake is more throughout your power range,although this has never been put to paper from what ive researched, basically it comes down to an intake is an intake whether its sri or cold air, if you want NOTICEABLE gains....buy a turbo or supercharge your max otherwise research it before like the OP said..making us newbs look bad basically....
Very well put and didn't choose either brand out there.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 PM

I told myself I would even look in this section but after seeing it first up so many times I figured it be suttn interesting.... unfortunately not and possibly the worst thread of 2010 in the 5th gen section..... can anybody accurately say if on intake gives more gain than the other???... I don't even know what to say... good one newb, good one
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

I am using a 9 inch Amsoil cone filter. I originally decided to use the larger filter based on an org member claiming HP gains from it. Can't tell you with any accuracy, personally, it that's correct. My auto does put down some decent numbers considering it's untuned.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I told myself I would even look in this section but after seeing it first up so many times I figured it be suttn interesting.... unfortunately not and possibly the worst thread of 2010 in the 5th gen section..... can anybody accurately say if on intake gives more gain than the other???... I don't even know what to say... good one newb, good one
I think once you get past the stock intake the gains would be very minimal between different types of intakes..
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
I am using a 9 inch Amsoil cone filter. I originally decided to use the larger filter based on an org member claiming HP gains from it. Can't tell you with any accuracy, personally, it that's correct. My auto does put down some decent numbers considering it's untuned.
What numbers did ur auto put down... if you changed filter size and says it makes a difference then its often mental and its a "butt dyno" error... I hate when people try to but dyno things, I even hate the term butt dyno... somebody could tell me there butt dyno told em that a jet is faster than a pinto and id roll my eyes, I just hate hearing it, its 100% worthless
Originally Posted by cmax1
I think once you get past the stock intake the gains would be very minimal between different types of intakes..
if there is any gains, I don't believe you gan prove intake gains in aftermarket intake if compared sri to sri and cai to cai... unless you make some kinda retarded intake to prove a point... no difference and if there is a gain there is nothing you will feel or nothing that shows....
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

These are some Dynojet spec's I ran 5 yrs ago with an Injen Intake mod only on my 03 Maxima A/t....I do believe certain intakes work better with certain combos, but the Oem is restrictive getting air into the airbox, but has a leash on the air temperture control better than any SRI...Which the OEM design basically is.... with a cold airbox in the mix.....

Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Figured id jump in on this to possibly redeem the thread. I dont know if any of you get Import Tuner but the latest edition (July 2010) has some info on SRI vs CAI with and without a velocity stack on a 370z. THe air filter was a AEM with velocity stack incorporated into the design. Obviously this is not the 3.5vq but im sure its a closer comparison to us than say a Honda engine.

Basically the results turned out like this:
SRI- 223.4 HP
SRI w AEM filter- 224.4
Stock intack- 224.1
CAI w AEM filter-235.1 HP.

What this also showed was that the air was smoothed out with the velocity stack and gave the MAF a correct reading on volume and velocity. They sited that without the stack as the air moves past the filter into the piping there is a choke point. This air becomes turbulent and thus the MAF gets a wrong air reading. They also go on to state the screen on the MAF somewhat helps straightened the air to try to give the MAF a correct reading.

Another thing to note was the AFR on each test. Rated from highest to lowest AFR was
SRI--roughly 13.2 at 1k to 10.5 at 6500
SRI w AEM filter 13.6 @ 1k to 11 at 6500
Stock box- 14.5 @1k to 11.9 at 6500
CAI w AEM filter- 13.5 @ 1k to 11.4 @ 6500

After all this reading i wonder if a Velocity stack mated to a CAI for us would give us the best gains. After all the threads and never really a dyno to see what they do this is the closest i think we have so far. I looked to see if Import Tuner posted this online but the must not have posted it yet.

PS- The gains recorded where at peak so around 5700 they all peaked in HP. The CAI had a slight loss but at around 1500 rpm the gains were seen TQ lost a bit more than HP at idle to 1200 but then the gains were evident there on out.

Last edited by jeff5347; 05-10-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Ok found a scan of the article
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5...articlept1.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2...articlept2.jpg
Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 AM

What numbers did ur auto put down... if you changed filter size and says it makes a difference then its often mental and its a "butt dyno" error... I hate when people try to but dyno things, I even hate the term butt dyno... somebody could tell me there butt dyno told em that a jet is faster than a pinto and id roll my eyes, I just hate hearing it, its 100% worthless
if there is any gains, I don't believe you gan prove intake gains in aftermarket intake if compared sri to sri and cai to cai... unless you make some kinda retarded intake to prove a point... no difference and if there is a gain there is nothing you will feel or nothing that shows....
Numbers and mods are in my sig:

Hotshot Headers, Cattman Catback and FastCat, Nissan Works Phenolic Spacers, Advanced Timing, Definitive Motorsports UDP, 2nd Gen Maximum Tuning VB, Maxspeed Springs, 9 inch Amsoil cone filter, Kosei Penta R/T (17x7.5, 16lbs)w/ Toyo T1-S 245/45/17, Odyssey PC 680 battery (14 lbs).

245.2 HP/245.2 Torque - Standard
237.5 HP/237.5 Torque - SAE Corrected

At the time I did the dyno I didn't have the NWP spacers or FastCat and was running a Greddy Evo Catback and a K&N 9" filter with no velocity stack.

Just to be clear, I did not make any claims, from a butt or real dyno, that a larger filter make gains over a smaller one.

There are however dynos on the org showing gains from aftermarket intakes vs stock.

Last edited by 03BlkSETE; 05-10-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 AM

Here is some interesting reading on 5.5 gen intake comparisons with dynos:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ai-vs-wai.html

Final Results Are In - Stock vs. CAI vs. WAI
Alright. I intentionally waited to install my extra performance parts until I put this issue to rest. So here's the deal.

I have a 2002 Maxima SE with a 6 speed tranny. I had no modifications other than a MagnaFlow Street Series muffler. I dyno'd my car in the following conditions (in order from air intake to throttle body):

CAI: Monsterflow 3.25" filter -> PR CAI lower tubing -> MAF -> PR CAI upper tubing -> TB

WAI: Monsterflow 3.25" filter -> MAF -> PR CAI upper tubing -> TB

Stock: Stock airbox scoop -> K&N Drop-In Filter -> Stock airbox exit -> MAF -> Stock upper tubing/assembly -> TB

Each time, the car's ECU was reset by unplugging the battery for a minimum of 25 hours (24 was too questionable). The car was then started for the first time on the new setup. Parts were swapped during the 25 hour period that the battery was unplugged.

Once the car was started, it was allowed to idle for 10 minutes under no load (no A/C, radio, subs, etc). Then the car was driven under normal daily conditions for the first 100 miles. The engine was not revved over 4500 RPMs during this time. Once 100 miles had passed, the car was driven with an emphasis on performance (READ: driven like I stole it). Only after the next 100 miles was passed (200 miles total) was the car dyno'd.

The car was dyno'd at the same facility on the same dyno for all 3 different intakes. The only variables were the time of day and temperature, which the SAE adjustments fix. 3 runs per intake were done. Once the 3 runs were completed, the best run was chosen for that intake. These runs were the runs that are posted below.

There was no filter cleaning performed on any of the filters between dynos. All 3 intakes were dyno'd less than 1.5 months apart. This time was only increased by the fact that the car was disabled for almost 2 weeks at the dealer (trying to get a new clutch installed). Other than that, the intakes were back-to-back-to-back. This way, the ECU got to learn the intake, but not learn any one intake more than the other.

Then, in order to avoid miscalculations on the host computer, all 3 runs were inserted into DynoJet's RunViewer software (available at their website). The results listed below are based upon SAE corrections, with a smoothing factor that produced the highest HP/Torque numbers for all 3 runs (smoothing level of 4).

And the moment you've all been waiting for:

The Stock intake produced:
208.61 HP and 234.92 ft/lbs Torque

The CAI intake produced:
209.08 HP and 237.09 ft/lbs Torque

The WAI intake produced:
213.67 HP and 240.03 ft/lbs Torque

So the clear winner, by a decent margin, is the WAI.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM

...possibly the worst thread of 2010 in the 5th gen section.
Based on the interesting information in last few posts, your instincts turned out wrong on this one, Hustler. Sometimes threads produce, and sometimes they don't. All without pattern. It seems entirely random.

However, I will agree with your first impression. When I saw this thread title, I thought it was a put-on, and someone was making a joke.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 AM

Yawn! Anything posted in this thread was already on this forum hence the thread is worthless to me, was it not already known that unless u run a true cold air intake that sri's were always better for the 5.5... was that suttn new here???.... great info I must say to 03blk but just the simple fact of making intake threads is itself worthless then you start hearing butt dyno crap..... butt dyno- the best way to feed people a bunch of bullshyt, should never be listened to...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 AM

If it's so boring to you, then why read it?

If you've nothing constructive to add, then why post?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

I gained 8hp w/ the GAB and 14 more with a JWT POP

Quick Reply: What is the best intake?