5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I was pulled over yesterday because of my LED's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Yea it really don't bother me anymore because truthfully I can't even remember how many times I've been search with no warrant for no reason so that's just how the law is when you are the one check someone who's going to check you. Anyway back to maxima (: life goes on
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 2damax
Told to me by a group of officers at the academy
and Im going by the law and what I was taught during my concealed carry course..I assume it similair for every state

It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the person’s possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this subsection, the licensee shall be subject to a six-month suspension of the license and an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Bureau that the person is in violation of the provisions of this subsection.

Last edited by SoonerFan; 05-13-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Not true. The rears have to reflect red but the fronts can be clear but MUST light up amber. They don't have to reflect amber like you're saying.
look at the law...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
look at the law...
Yeah yeah I figured you would respond by saying that. Now go look at porsche 997's...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is why SC is the greatest state of them all.

No inspection and no cops anywhere to be seen.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 AM

^^^pfft yea right...South Carolina State Troopers are alright...its the small county/city cops who have nothing to do but harass people and who are on a power trip. i'm cool with the state troopers...because they pull me when i expect to get pulled for doing something stupid (speeding)

county/city cops i can obey all rules and get followed pulled and asked if i'm smoking weed with all the windows open *smh*
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 AM

I got nabbed about a year ago for having white sidemarkers. Apparently the rear need to be either red or yellow in CT. $60 something ticket
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 AM

It is a good law Sooner. I have not seen that in any CT statute. I'm interested though.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 AM

It is a good law Sooner. I have not seen that in any CT statute. I'm interested though.
Its in there somewhere, I think I found it on the DMV site. I actually read it for myself.

Edit: Guess I still didn't know the real law lol...

Sec. 14-96g. Colors of lamps and reflectors. Reflective sheeting on certain vehicles.
(a) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(b) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color. Any motor vehicle or equipment owned by a governmental agency which is engaged in construction or maintenance work may display red or white reflective sheeting on the rear of such vehicle or equipment.

(c) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except that the stop light or other signal device may be red, amber or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a back-up lamp shall be white or amber.

(d) Each school bus or student transportation vehicle may display retroreflective tape or reflective sheeting on the rear or on the sides of such vehicle in accordance with regulations which shall be adopted by the commissioner pursuant to chapter 54.

(e) Failure to have and mount lamps, reflectors or lighting devices as required by this section shall be an infraction.

Last edited by mannetti21; 05-14-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Should have been more specific. I was refering to when he said you had to show a pistol permit when you get pulled over.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

I read this, which is the gun laws in my state, and did not find it. I should have specified I was talking about my state.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Cletus

Should have been more specific. I was refering to when he said you had to show a pistol permit when you get pulled over.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

I read this, which is the gun laws in my state, and did not find it. I should have specified I was talking about my state.
i think it would still be a good idea...let him know before its a surprise...my wife is from Conn...didnt even realize you could carry there
Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
It's actually quite funny, a cop will harass someone for having wrong colored lights, but they don't do **** when criminals break into your house or car and steal your crap.
LOL and Im the perfect example! When my car got jacked back in the fall the cops told me they were too busy with other things to investigate anything to do with my car being stolen. There was a rash of car theft in the area and they arent even interested in it... tax dollars well spent
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM

The cops also openly ignore every selfish, self-involved jackass driving while texting, or talking on their cell phone, which has been an unenforced traffic violation here in NY for a number of pointless years now. 91% of Americans now have a cell phone, and I swear 91% of them hold it in their hand while driving, almost reflexively, like lighting up a cigarette when you get in the car.

I don't know who's more culpable, the cellular companies, or the sheep who bought into this "necessity".

Oops, my soapbox just got a little unbalanced.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Cletus

in OK, they cant pull you over for texting...they have to pull you over for something else and then its a secondary citation

i never handle my phone while driving...love the bluetooth in the Xterra...plus im not 15 so I dont text that much anyway...or talk on the phone much for that matter
Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 AM

in OK, they cant pull you over for texting...they have to pull you over for something else and then its a secondary citation

i never handle my phone while driving...love the bluetooth in the Xterra...plus im not 15 so I dont text that much anyway...or talk on the phone much for that matter
I agree with this. (OMG! )

If I had a cell phone, integrated hands-free would be a requirement. It's going to happen soon enough, when the kids are old enough to warrant having a cell phone, or the job ever requires it, we'll go all in and dump the land line.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Rochester
I agree with this. (OMG! )

If I had a cell phone, integrated hands-free would be a requirement. It's going to happen soon enough, when the kids are old enough to warrant having a cell phone, or the job ever requires it, we'll go all in and dump the land line.
I will occasionally answer the phone or make a call while driving, but make attention to the road 100% priority and people get a lot of "hold on" or "yeah i wasn't listening to you, my bad" in that situation so incidentally the calls tend to be short and to the point. It seems like most get so into having a conversation they zone out on the road and fail at driving. I'd much rather fail at talking than put my life and others in danger.

One of my least favorite things to see when driving the Maxima is someone tailgating me obviously so deep in conversation that they just go into "follow" mode and stick 3 feet off my bumper. The whole time I know there is no way they could react in time if i needed to lay on the brakes and they're annoyingly hard to shake.

OP, maybe he just wanted a reason to pull you over and see what he could get you on.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max

One of my least favorite things to see when driving the Maxima is someone tailgating me obviously so deep in conversation that they just go into "follow" mode and stick 3 feet off my bumper. The whole time I know there is no way they could react in time if i needed to lay on the brakes and they're annoyingly hard to shake.
Can't even express how much I agree with that.

For the last month or so the Hartford towns in CT have been doing checkpoints. One guy looks out down the road and radios in to a vehicle ahead and ticket people for cell phone use. The towns got a $32 million dollar grant to do this with the slogan "Cell phone in one hand, ticket in the other." The first weekend they gave out over 220 tickets
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Just because it aint legal doesnt mean they can pull you over.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Too many tickets to tell all the stories but got out of most and only got one or two points on license when i should have like 4 or 5.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by cmax1
You don't understand? Let me explain.

In the state of Va, it is illegal to use radar detectors. A police officer cannot pull you over just because of the radar detector. You have to have some other violation, like speeding, to get pulled over.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Cletus

In the state of Va, it is illegal to use radar detectors. A police officer cannot pull you over just because of the radar detector. You have to have some other violation, like speeding, to get pulled over.
wrong
Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM

ok so now someone please tell me, is it legal to have projectors? what intensity lights are legal? i want either projectors or LEDs what do you recomend? i want it as legal as it can get, im in MA
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM

You don't understand? Let me explain.

I see.. However, if its illegal then how can you not get pulled over for having it? Like tint is illegal in some states and if you're caught with it you get pulled over and writen a ticket. Im thinking it you cant be writen a citation for having it then its legal.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:57 PM

where i live you would be surprised at what cops pull you over for and then let you go. i got pulled over once in my car. I did nothing wrong and the cop was sitting in a parking lot. next thing i know he is pulling my over because the led lights i have for my license plate are too bright. He wants to know if the car is mine, and where am i going at 4 in the morning, and how old i am, and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo. lets me go then pulls up next to another unit and talks about what donut shop they are gonna hit up.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nissanx54
where i live you would be surprised at what cops pull you over for and then let you go. i got pulled over once in my car. I did nothing wrong and the cop was sitting in a parking lot. next thing i know he is pulling my over because the led lights i have for my license plate are too bright. He wants to know if the car is mine, and where am i going at 4 in the morning, and how old i am, and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo. lets me go then pulls up next to another unit and talks about what donut shop they are gonna hit up.
I don't see anything wrong with this story. Officer did his job.

Originally Posted by cmax1
I see.. However, if its illegal then how can you not get pulled over for having it? Like tint is illegal in some states and if you're caught with it you get pulled over and writen a ticket. Im thinking it you cant be writen a citation for having it then its legal.
I'm not sure if you understand what VQ is saying. You can be written a citation for tints in your example. However, the tints are not enough cause to pull over the vehicle. Tints would be considered a secondary violation to a motorvehicle stop.

Last edited by 2damax; 05-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this story. Officer did his job.
which story? they original story or mine?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Yours. The one I quoted.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM

ok on my story, how was he doing his job? what is illegal about having lights bright enough to make the plate easier to read? its my car, i am not a young kid, i don't fit any sort of profile, and i was on my way to work. Not all cops are as good natured as everyone thinks them to be. some of them are just looking for something to do because they are bored. Where i live cops will pull you over if you exit your driveway in a manor that they dont like.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM

I agree not all cops are good people like they should be. However that scenario seems ok to me. It is an opinion of mine of course. I see it as a cop making sure that at 4am there is not a drunk driver or some kid under any influence driving. He made up a dumb reason to pull you over but he just did it to make sure everything was ok. No ticket and maybe 10 mins of your life gone. Again, this is just an opinion.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM

your right it is your opinion. I did nothing wrong nor did i give the officer any reason to pull me over. The cops here are like that no matter what the situation is because it is a smaller city that has nothing better to do at 4 am then to pull people over for petty reasons. I am in my 30's well dressed on my way to work for the Navy. The stop took 3 squad cars and 30 mins of my time which caused me to be late for work as i still had to stop and fuel up before taking my 45min drive to work. (on a side note maybe i should have put that last little bit of info into my original post, would have cleared things up a little better)
Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM

1. Ok now that sounds a little overkill. If they didn't have any information about a matching vehicle or some weird suspicion then that sucks.

2. Thank you for your services!

3. This is a car thread right? Just change my oil yesterday
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Cletus

I'm not sure if you understand what VQ is saying. You can be written a citation for tints in your example. However, the tints are not enough cause to pull over the vehicle. Tints would be considered a secondary violation to a motorvehicle stop.
its tint...TINT!!!! you have one tint on your car...not several
Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Cletus

your right it is your opinion. I did nothing wrong nor did i give the officer any reason to pull me over. The cops here are like that no matter what the situation is because it is a smaller city that has nothing better to do at 4 am then to pull people over for petty reasons. I am in my 30's well dressed on my way to work for the Navy. The stop took 3 squad cars and 30 mins of my time which caused me to be late for work as i still had to stop and fuel up before taking my 45min drive to work. (on a side note maybe i should have put that last little bit of info into my original post, would have cleared things up a little better)
if you have nothing to hide, why do you care

cop was still doing his job
Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Haha great write up!
I been pulled over for my car being white and having black steelies!??
ramdom huh? cop said if i was tryin 2 imate an undercover cruiser? wtf?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 PM

what is illegal about having lights bright enough to make the plate easier to read?
What's illegal is that there needs to be a specific color, and a specific range of intensities at certain measurement points.

They have to be white, and they can't be too bright or too dim. Many cheap "white" LEDs are very close to blue, because it's cheaper to make them. White LEDs are made by using a blue LED and some phosphor. The more phosphor, the more white it is, and the less blue it is.

You want to get technical with this? Blue photons are a higher frequency, and have more energy. Phosphors will absorb this blue light. Some of the energy is lost, but the rest is re-emitted as lower frequency light. Green, yellow, orange, and red are all lower frequencies. So the phosphor converts light that is 100% blue into light that is a mix of all different color light (which is what "white" is, if you remember basic middle school science).

More phosphor means more blue light is absorbed, so it's a "warm" white that has more yellow in it than blue.
Less phosphor means less blue light is absorbed, so it's a "cool" white that has more blue in it than yellow.

Because of this, it's very difficult to be able to draw a line as to what "cool white" is versus what "blue" is. LEDs marketed and sold as being "white" can range anywhere from a very warm white (like a halogen bulb) to a light blue.

White license plate lights aren't illegal. Blue ones are. How does the cop draw the distinction without taking a look at them?

And, as I've said before, federal lighting regulations are FAR more complicated than people think they are. It doesn't say "some sort of blue or white light shining on the plate", it specifically outlines minimum and maximum intensities. That's what is illegal about having lights bright enough to make the plate easier to read

It's fine and dandy to say that you have some non-compliant lighting and don't get hassled for it. I believe you. My dad doesn't have a front license plate (NJ requires it) for over two years, and has only had a cop bug him about it once (when he was parked, too). Does it mean that it's legal to have no front license plate in NJ? Of course not. Does it mean that you can usually get away with it, especially if you don't attract police attention otherwise? You bet. Does it give my dad the right to throw a pissy fit if he gets hassled by the cops for doing something which he is well aware is against the law? Nope. Man up and deal with the consequences.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nalc
What's illegal is that there needs to be a specific color, and a specific range of intensities at certain measurement points.

They have to be white, and they can't be too bright or too dim. Many cheap "white" LEDs are very close to blue, because it's cheaper to make them. White LEDs are made by using a blue LED and some phosphor. The more phosphor, the more white it is, and the less blue it is.

You want to get technical with this? Blue photons are a higher frequency, and have more energy. Phosphors will absorb this blue light. Some of the energy is lost, but the rest is re-emitted as lower frequency light. Green, yellow, orange, and red are all lower frequencies. So the phosphor converts light that is 100% blue into light that is a mix of all different color light (which is what "white" is, if you remember basic middle school science).

More phosphor means more blue light is absorbed, so it's a "warm" white that has more yellow in it than blue.
Less phosphor means less blue light is absorbed, so it's a "cool" white that has more blue in it than yellow.

Because of this, it's very difficult to be able to draw a line as to what "cool white" is versus what "blue" is. LEDs marketed and sold as being "white" can range anywhere from a very warm white (like a halogen bulb) to a light blue.

White license plate lights aren't illegal. Blue ones are. How does the cop draw the distinction without taking a look at them?

And, as I've said before, federal lighting regulations are FAR more complicated than people think they are. It doesn't say "some sort of blue or white light shining on the plate", it specifically outlines minimum and maximum intensities. That's what is illegal about having lights bright enough to make the plate easier to read

It's fine and dandy to say that you have some non-compliant lighting and don't get hassled for it. I believe you. My dad doesn't have a front license plate (NJ requires it) for over two years, and has only had a cop bug him about it once (when he was parked, too). Does it mean that it's legal to have no front license plate in NJ? Of course not. Does it mean that you can usually get away with it, especially if you don't attract police attention otherwise? You bet. Does it give my dad the right to throw a pissy fit if he gets hassled by the cops for doing something which he is well aware is against the law? Nope. Man up and deal with the consequences.
QFT

Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 AM

if you have nothing to hide, why do you care

cop was still doing his job
i care because that cop lives a few houses down from me. He knows who i am and what car i drive. He could have been out fighting crimes like armed robbery and murder. Instead he choose to pull me over along with his 2 buddies for nothing. My bulbs are not blue and they aren't bright enough to bother anyone. Unless your an officer of the law, why would you take up for them without knowing all the facts? I've dealt with cops, in my family, all my life so i know the laws.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not sure that I can let this thread live.... too much potential downside, and we all know this is a never ending debate. Law enforcement, what are "small" violations, opportunity/time costs, etc etc.

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 05-17-2010 at 05:15 AM.