5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bionic Heart Transplant (6th Gen Engine into 5.5 Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
OMG ..... You're not "leaving" us are you ? Maximaville, more important ville ... "VQ_VILLE?_"

Either way, sucks man, I agree, .org BS ... and no need to explain what you've done, you are a pioneer ...

My car is fine, this 5.5 gen is my buddy's car. He got hit the other week and now is getting a Honda Accord coupe.

I am keeping my '96 until it gets stolen or I stuff it on a road course somewhere.

But when and if it does happen I would be upgrading to something alot better for track use. A used M3, Z06, STI, GT3 of some kind.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Well .. hell ....
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax

It is fixable but his insurance won't pay for it as the car has such high mileage. He got $4200 for the car and thats a fair price considering the effort for a part out and dealing with all the whiny cheap a$$ org BS. So some junkyard in Eastern Massachusetts is about to get a cherry of a 5.5 gen parts car.
I had 194,595 miles on mine when it was hit and totaled, got $5123 from my insurance and my $495 deductible from the other guy's insurance for a total of $5618. Of course, it helps that I am a detailer and my interior was mint and outside the areas of body damage from the accident, the paint was in superb shape. Tires were also relatively new and had even wear all the way across.

They also couldn't open the hood and notice the leaky valve covers or drive it to know the struts were pretty much shot.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Sad to say the Maxima is gone. 7+ years with it I can honestly say it was time. (plus the need for very expensive emissions work) Unfortunately I have left the Nissan family (only for now...) to get something economical and more practical for my use. The maintenance costs and gas mileage (needed 93+) was killing me finiancially. So now I've moved onto Toyota. I can honestly say that the refinement, power and detail of the Maxima is far superior than this car but the reliability and economy cant be beat. I miss the V6 already, but maybe it will keep the tickets off my record for a while. So now I'm rockin a 2010 Camry SE.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can you pull the engine or do you have to drop it? ive had like for people tell me dropping out the bottom is the only way, but they also told me a 04 engine wouldnt work in my 03
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM
L36

Originally Posted by laxmax
can you pull the engine or do you have to drop it? ive had like for people tell me dropping out the bottom is the only way, but they also told me a 04 engine wouldnt work in my 03
It would work, just read up on this thread. Also, you can put a 7th gen engine into 5.5 and it will bolt up just fine to a 6 speed. There is one guy somewhere on these forums who did a 7th gen engine swap into his 5.5 gen with a 6 speed. It will require some slight mods but its very doable.

And yes, you need to drop the engine in from the bottom.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by L36

And yes, you need to drop the engine in from the bottom.
False. I've done it both ways.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Upper oil pan

Hey on that upper oil pan off the old 5.5 gen I need one for my car so pm me after the swap if you dont use it I need one mine has a crack plz would be much apreciated
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 PM
L36

Originally Posted by essential1
False. I've done it both ways.
I had hard time mounting the engine as there were no hooks on it, but come to think of it, you can hook it to the engine mounts while they're still on the engine and go from there with the crane... Right?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Well being faced with doing this swap soon i have 2 questions.im doing a auto/auto swap are the sensors going to be in the same location?and are the auto oil pans the same?i have read the the IM and EM need to be swapped over do to egr as well as motor mount brackets and fuel rails if im missing anything please let me know because the new motor is going to be picked up on tuesday it has 17k on it and was still in the 05 max when i went to see it today there giving me the complete engine accy and all for $1200
Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by L36
I had hard time mounting the engine as there were no hooks on it, but come to think of it, you can hook it to the engine mounts while they're still on the engine and go from there with the crane... Right?
I do engine and transmission separate. Wrap the chain around the passenger mount bracket and then thread a tranny bolt in and wrap the other end of the chain around it. I've done it like this countless times and never had a problem. I then bolt up the 3 motor mounts and then bench press the tranny while someone guides it from the top. This has always been the fastest way for me.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Well being faced with doing this swap soon i have 2 questions.im doing a auto/auto swap are the sensors going to be in the same location?and are the auto oil pans the same?i have read the the IM and EM need to be swapped over do to egr as well as motor mount brackets and fuel rails if im missing anything please let me know because the new motor is going to be picked up on tuesday it has 17k on it and was still in the 05 max when i went to see it today there giving me the complete engine accy and all for $1200
That's a good price.

Swap the upper oil pan, upper intake manifold, fuel rail, exhaust manifolds, and motor mounts. Everything will plug up after that.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM
L36

Originally Posted by essential1
I do engine and transmission separate. Wrap the chain around the passenger mount bracket and then thread a tranny bolt in and wrap the other end of the chain around it. I've done it like this countless times and never had a problem. I then bolt up the 3 motor mounts and then bench press the tranny while someone guides it from the top. This has always been the fastest way for me.
Yeah, benching the tranny is the best approach. While changing the clutch, first time did it with the transmission jack which took forever. Second time benched it in and almost instantly had it in.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Well recieved engine tuesday night .well i recieved a engine,cross member,transmission,1 axle,what looks like a K frame with control arms dangling and a few other unneeded parts.problem is the shop wants to charge me a extra 600 just to strip it down to what i need.so while i was looking at this thing as it is i have a few questions.are these precats the same?and is the alt the same? i would like to do as less damage as possible sence its now my job to strip it down to what i need.i will be purchasing a upper and lower oil pan new just to save me on some labor and time.sorry one more question do i need to buy and of the crank or cam sensors while im at it?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 AM
RR5

Well recieved engine tuesday night .well i recieved a engine,cross member,transmission,1 axle,what looks like a K frame with control arms dangling and a few other unneeded parts.problem is the shop wants to charge me a extra 600 just to strip it down to what i need.so while i was looking at this thing as it is i have a few questions.are these precats the same?and is the alt the same? i would like to do as less damage as possible sence its now my job to strip it down to what i need.i will be purchasing a upper and lower oil pan new just to save me on some labor and time.sorry one more question do i need to buy and of the crank or cam sensors while im at it?
You should post this question in the All Motor forum.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

Finally finished this swap.i ended up doing it myself except for removing and replacing the hood.first thing i would like to say is the info avilable on the forum is priceless and if your faced with doing this take head to what some of the members say they are correct.i did pull the engine and trans when i did this it made it easier to mate up and connect.i also did the 6th gen tsb for the timing chain if you beg like i did they may sell you this tool kit to make the job alot simpler to do.the only problems i did experience is i did not disconnect the TB from the harness to avoid having to get a relearn done or shorting something out replacing it this was a pita leaving it attached.the other 2 problems are i tightened the tensioner down to much and damaged the bearing it squeels some times and the car is eating gas almost half a tank of gas in 72.2 miles i did put half GT race gas 105 octaine and half 93 in it just to burn off anything that was in there from sitting the car the motor came from was totaled in 2008.but so far no check engine lights and its running smooth.im actually at the dealer typing this waiting for them to get my new tensioner,nissan antifreeze and the bolts that hold the engine cover down.thanks again forum people for helping and posting quality info for others to learn from.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

any updates pics or anything
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by fishpony
I'm also curious about this. Reason for buying a 6th gen is price, mileage, and availability, at least for me. Around my area the lowest mileage 5.5 motor has over 100k and they want 750 for it. I found 6th gen motors with 40k-70k miles for $500-$600. So i'd rather get a newer motor for less and swap out what needs to be swapped from the old engine.
were u find the motor at? im looking for one low miles as posible for that price. i keep seeing about 15-1900and i gottta pick it up. i dont mind picking it up but 1500 for a motor. f that ill bore mine and rebuild mine and put cams in it for fofr all that
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by P0tter7

were u find the motor at? im looking for one low miles as posible for that price. i keep seeing about 15-1900and i gottta pick it up. i dont mind picking it up but 1500 for a motor. f that ill bore mine and rebuild mine and put cams in it for fofr all that
Look for a member here named aackshun he works at nissan unlimited he will get you a good one

Last edited by cjandura; 02-10-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Banned

And no you wont get that work for that price either nissan is a whole different creature.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by P0tter7

car-part <dot> com is another great resource for this. I have now swapped my engine twice. Found the first one, was told it had 50K on it. Let's just say I found out otherwise. So on to piece of advice #2 -Get the VIN on the engine and RUN A CARFAX! $29 is a small price to pay to be sure that you are getting what they say you are. Some junk yards are shady, I had another engine that I was gonna buy, was told it had 54K on the clock, but carfax came back at over 119K! Wound up finding a 2006 engine with 34K on the clock (Carfax verified), but it cost a bit more, $900. Good luck in your search!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by '02 Style
piece of advice #2 -Get the VIN on the engine and RUN A CARFAX!
That's a great idea. I've already started looking around on car-part, since I go through a qt of oil every 600-800mi. It's important for me to get an engine no older than '06 model year, since the oil consumption issue was pretty much resolved by then. In my area, it seems the best option will be to spend $1200-$1300 on an '06 Quest motor with 70-80K mi. But I will make sure and carfax the VIN!