5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VQ Swap 5.5 gen to 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
1: you pin-pointed your problem right there, your freon level is half of what it should be. Your low pressure switch isn't allowing the compressor to kick on because the lack of freon and oil in your sytem would burn up the compressor.

2: check your new engine's belt tensioner pulley, perhaps the bearing is on its way out.

3: my fans were also so active at my initial startup that I couldn't get the engine to come up to temp at idle, I had to sit in the car and hold the rpm up a while so I could top off my radiator. That antifreeze smell could simply be residual burning off from the work performed- there will always be oil and coolant on various surfaces after a job like you're talking about that needs to burn off as the engine gets up to temp.

And I'd be surprised if you get any "roll the windows down" remarks, the entire country's pushing triple digits, I know down here it almost hurts to breathe. Let someone else turn their radio up to drown out engine noises and see what their VQ's do to them
Trust me, I've heard a lot of dumb remarks on here. After some hours on I realized that the problem could be lack of freon and will try to refill today. And about the fans, what you saying is that the engine is sort of 'in learning mode' and the fans will go back to normal operation? Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM

No no, I seriously doubt there's any "learning" to be done by our fans, they're merely tripped on/off by a temperature switch.

What I'm saying is that without any airflow across your condensor and radiator, your engine is running hot enough to activate the fans. Out on the road, your fans wouldn't be needed due to ambient airflow across those two cores.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM

Ok, pretty much everything solved. The car started to overheat and when I tried to check for trapped air in the cooling system (by opening the rad cap and running the car) didn't help. I went back to the shop and he did almost the same procedure, but he used a funnel and filled the rad all the way plus some in the funnel and ran the car. That worked fine, and the car no longer overheats and fans work normally. I filled the AC up with r134a, the do it yourself kit, and the AC is ice cold. Still have the whining in the belt area, will eventually get to that. Learned a lot in the process.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by zhuleek
Ok, pretty much everything solved. The car started to overheat and when I tried to check for trapped air in the cooling system (by opening the rad cap and running the car) didn't help. I went back to the shop and he did almost the same procedure, but he used a funnel and filled the rad all the way plus some in the funnel and ran the car. That worked fine, and the car no longer overheats and fans work normally. I filled the AC up with r134a, the do it yourself kit, and the AC is ice cold. Still have the whining in the belt area, will eventually get to that. Learned a lot in the process.

Just a couple of notes: When you and your mechanic were "burping" the cooling system, did you have the heater turned on? Sometimes air pockets like to hang out in the heater core due to time intervals between use, so you want coolant flowing through it to completely purge the system.

Also, the DIY a/c kits are handy, but without being able to connect an actual set of manifold gauges to the hi and lo pressure ports, you don't know exactly what your system pressures are. Put that on your "to-do" list, even tho it's working, you could be borderline either high or low, which could lead to issues down the road.

Edit: good to hear, tho, that you've got it running and mostly sorted out!

Last edited by BlackMacks; 07-30-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: good to hear, tho, that it's running!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
Just a couple of notes: When you and your mechanic were "burping" the cooling system, did you have the heater turned on? Sometimes air pockets like to hang out in the heater core due to time intervals between use, so you want coolant flowing through it to completely purge the system.

Also, the DIY a/c kits are handy, but without being able to connect an actual set of manifold gauges to the hi and lo pressure ports, you don't know exactly what your system pressures are. Put that on your "to-do" list, even tho it's working, you could be borderline either high or low, which could lead to issues down the road.

Edit: good to hear, tho, that you've got it running and mostly sorted out!

I like this guy.