5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sunroof operation problem, I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Sunroof operation problem, I have searched

Hey all, I seem to have a problem with my sunroof, well actually its the buttons that control it. Yesterday after a whole day full of rain i decided to open it because the weather started to loook better, when I pressed on the Slide open button the sunroof proceeded to move about 2 inches and stop. Now this happens both during closing and opening and when i press for complete open or close. Now thats wierd in itself, so i decided to see if it still Tilted up and down, so pressing the Tilt button I tilited it upwards and then down without a problem, but i pressed the Tilt button again to make sure i was closed and it started to Slide open my sunroof. I was like WTF?!?! so i started playing around with all the buttons, and to my surprise, both switches, Slide and Tilt, now perform the exact same function of sliding (~2inches and then stopping) and tilting the sun roof up and down. When i searched i couldnt really find a problem like mine, and when i tried to follow the reset protocol that others have posted nothing happened ? but perhaps i am pressing the wrong switch, so could anyone explain it better ?

BTW car is a 01 I30 , but the I30 section doesnt get near as much attention as this place, so i figured I'd ask here, because I am assuming it is exactly the same.

Thanks alot guys.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Cletus

sounds like the buttons are bad
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM

thats exactly the problem I have. the sun roof moves perfectly, but its like the contacts are dirty in the switch and it looses signal. It will always open and close and tilt, but you just have to keep pressing the buttons. I plan on removing the controls and checking the contacts
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Update this. I fixed mine. its very simple actualy.

remove the map light console from the roof

disconnect the wires.

On the back side of where the slider is for the sun roof you will see a clearish white cap on the back.

Take two small flat head screw drivers and gently pry it off

inside there will be a circuit board with contact points for each of the location that the roof can stop at. There is a electrical grease on it prevent oxidation of teh contacts. Do not wipe the grease off.

Underneath the circut board there is a metal contact that has 3 seperate contacts. all you have to do is remove it (comes out easily) and then slightly bend the contact prongs upward so it applies more force for the contact prongs to contact the circuit board.

reinstall it and it should work just fine.

Its seems that the tension contacts loose tension over the years. they just need to be readjusted.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Location: The place were people take there talents from to go to South Beach
Would you recomend doing that for my sunroof issue? My issue is that my sunroof opens by itself every few months. I have to move the button and slide around and then it will close. Oh and I have a 2002
Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dellguy3700
Would you recomend doing that for my sunroof issue? My issue is that my sunroof opens by itself every few months. I have to move the button and slide around and then it will close. Oh and I have a 2002
I wont hurt. Its real simple to do
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by dellguy3700
Mine does that too.