5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

My racingline FSTB rubs a little in the middle against the hood liner. But I don't have a decal there, and I keep it polished regularly, so don't care.

My advice... ditch the decal.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM

First I'd remove the factory air filter
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM

^That's a start...I guess
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 AM

What do you guys use to paint your reservoir caps? My windshield one is fine and I painted it Merlot, but my coolant one I have paint running everywhere and looks horrible.(No plastidip).
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 AM

HF PCV Catch Can

I liked the Home Depot catch can idea. So I did this mod with a Harbor Freight mini air filter (nice little unit for $7.00) for about $15.00 total in parts. Mine is done a little differently with the filter mounted on the inlet snorkel, 1/4" nylon elbows, some hose mounts (attached to the VIAS), spring clamps and misc. screws from Lowes. The way Nissan routed the factory hoses was perfect for this mod, it almost looks OEM. The biggest expense/problem was the hose, I tried the cheapo plastic stuff but that didn't work out so well. It collapsed as soon as the engine warmed up. Anyways here's some pics.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
What do you guys use to paint your reservoir caps? My windshield one is fine and I painted it Merlot, but my coolant one I have paint running everywhere and looks horrible.(No plastidip).
I am not sure what they all use, I just bought new ones. My suggestion to you would be to go buy a new coolant one, and try painting it the same way and color you did the windshield cap. The cap is only like 2 or 3 bucks.

Here is an update of the engine bay:

And I got the headlight sanded and cleaned right:

Now I just need to do the degreaser and spray down the bay, but I am very hesitant in doing it cause I am scared to get something wet that shouldnt be. I read so many different instructions on how to do it and dont know what to follow.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 AM

I did by new caps, the windshield and the coolant one, the coolant one is all screwed up already had to take the paint off it, looked horrible, the paint was just bubbling and dripping down the sides of the cap. Windshield wiper cap is done and still drying.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

The only paint that has worked so far is caliper paint.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
The only paint that has worked so far is caliper paint.
Krylon Fusion is supposed to work best on plastic parts.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Ok, so I know that some aren't as concerned as others about the appearance of their engine bay... but I just am curious to see what ideas people have to make their engines look pretty For instance, NWP hardware tends to look good, many have FSTBs, which might have more of a "look" benefit than a performance benefit, and a good ol' SRI never hurts either hehe... I'm not toooo crazy with the aesthetics of my engine bay, but I have painted my engine cover, and put some red tape on a few of my wires/harnesses (ghetto, I know, but I like it... and there isn't tooooo much )... So just to be clear, this isn't JUST an engine cover thread... there've already been plenty of those. I was just curious as to what other bling/good stuff other people have done in this department (original ideas welcomed!).
Here's mine: (I know the pic is pretty huge...)
Steel braided hose,digital battery terminal,painted engine covers,upper strut tower bar and alluminum oil cap.That should increase the appearence really good
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Steel braided hose,digital battery terminal,painted engine covers,upper strut tower bar and alluminum oil cap.That should increase the appearence really good
Because skipping 1130 posts of on-topic content is so-o-o much easier to do.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 AM

For the record, I want my engine bay mods to look OEM but clean. Keeping with my philosophy of the car being "A Sleeper". There's nothing like the feel of driving a nondescript car that goes like a "Bat out of He11"!!!!!

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-19-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 PM

what is the best solution to use that will help keep the engine clean if i spray on and pressure wash the motor????
Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Speedracer_718
what is the best solution to use that will help keep the engine clean if i spray on and pressure wash the motor????
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Speedracer_718
I was told to use CRC heavy duty silicone spray. Once the bay is completely dry, spray everything down, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess. It gives everything a nice shine, and seems to last a few months. Will repel water and dirt, to allow hosing down the bay if/when it gets dirty. Without worrying about getting the important stuff wet, since silicone is a good protective and dielectric barrier. I tried this technique and it works pretty well.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Ok, here are the pics of the caps installed on my car...For those with crappy monitors the color is almost identical to an 03 350Z

here are the red caps, he didn't have a full set on hand but you get the idea...

And here is a closeup of the dipstick cover in polished aluminum

I know this is old but thanks for sharing this man....I just ordered the whole set of caps from zeetoys in blue; windshield washer, radiator overflow, power steering, brake and clutch caps from him today. I will take pics also when I install them.

Question...where did you get that blue radiator cap? I have been searching all over and can only find chrome Nismo radiator caps.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 AM

is anywhere i can find painted engine cover or do i have to paint by myself? the black cover looks sexy!!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
is anywhere i can find painted engine cover or do i have to paint by myself? the black cover looks sexy!!
The Murano engine cover is black, which was just mentioned not that many posts ago.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Murano engine cover is black, which was just mentioned not that many posts ago.
hmm ill check it out....
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Ah, another chance to post pics of my car. Im down...LOL

VHT wrinkle red paint on front valve cover
Custom Airbrushed coil/spark plug cover
Somewhat smoothed UIM painted aluminum silver
CAI painted silver with pearl clear coat
VHT wrinkle red paint on battery tie down and radiator mounts
krylon fusion red on reservoir caps
billett oil cap

and I use purple power to clean stuff if it gets dirty
Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM

FINALLY got those cap covers from http://www.zeetoyz.com/index1.htm

Special thanks to KNIGHT_YYZ for checking to see if those caps fit so I would not have to be the guinea pig.

Washer Fluid, Radiator tank, and Power Steering caps:

Brake Fluid and Clucth Fluid Caps:

Gas Cap cover (need to clean that badboy up in there...ugh):

Oil Dip Stick cover:

Also special thanks to ROC for the dress up bolts right up. Some pics below...still not finished so did not want to take many. I got the lights and the fender washer bolts...and ran out and need to order more.:

All caps fit DIRECT and no problems, EXCEPT the power steering cap you have to trim the 2 edges that stick out down with a dremel so the cap cover goes over it. Its about a 1 min job with a dremel.

Engine bay is going to be HARD!!! Got a Blue and Chrome theme going on. If anyone know where I can get a BLUE radiator cap please PM me or something., I already have the BLUE Nismo oil cap....just the radiator cap ios the only thing holding all caps from being blue up.

NEXT UP...brand new VC's on both front and rear going to paint them BLUE too.....just like this article:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pai...ve-covers.html

Last edited by ranmas2004; 12-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 PM

The caps look nice. Definite color theme you've got going on there.

I like the wire loom on wires. On hoses... um, not so much. Seems kind of wrong to wrap a hose in corrugated plastic, IMO. The brake booster line looks really awkward, man.

And you put a blue fender-washer on your strut tower, but it's not actually holding anything down. You don't want to call attention to that. What you want there is a flush hole-plug.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM

And you put a blue fender-washer on your strut tower, but it's not actually holding anything down. You don't want to call attention to that. What you want there is a flush hole-plug.
Yeah...I had 1 bolt left so I just put it there as a place holder until I get the other bolts that ordered in.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77

This is pre-turbo and custom engine cover of course. I will have some updated photos soon...
Dude your car looks sweet. That's a lot of power you're pushing in there man. I would do it if it didn't cost as much as I paid for the car Hands down one the the sexiest 5thgen i've seen

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 12-09-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Dude your car looks sweet. That's a lot of power you're pushing in there man. I would do it if it didn't cost as much as I paid for the car Hands down one the the sexiest 5thgen i've seen
Roy left the Org, and demodded his car, like a year ago. You're talking to a ghost.

And although I'm no fan of red wire loom, Roy's head was in the right place, in that wire loom is for wires, not hoses. If you must cover the hoses, do it with something that isn't corrugated. Like a nylon braid kit. Damned impossible to keep clean, though.

I did that 25 years ago with an old Chevy small-block. Looked good for for one season, tops.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Roy left the Org, and demodded his car, like a year ago. You're talking to a ghost.

And although I'm no fan of red wire loom, Roy's head was in the right place, in that wire loom is for wires, not hoses. If you must cover the hoses, do it with something that isn't corrugated. Like a nylon braid kit. Damned impossible to keep clean, though.

I did that 25 years ago with an old Chevy small-block. Looked good for for one season, tops.

Oh that sucks.It's a sick looking car.And no I don't intend to do that with my 6thgen.I used steal braided hose and there isn't much to cover up other than the rad hose and the intake hose.

I'd never install those wire loom,it just looks to ricey.I had that in my honda.R.I.P Honda

Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Oh that sucks.It's a sick looking car.And no I don't intend to do that with my 6thgen.I used steal braided hose and there isn't much to cover up other than the rad hose and the intake hose.

I'd never install those wire loom,it just looks to ricey.I had that in my honda.R.I.P Honda

nice cover bro!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 AM

I've seen people that have done the same thing with the hoses in their Maximas, Altimas and 350zs. It's all about how you like your Maxima and what you like. That's what makes everyone's car different...different preferences styles, personalities. Some cars I seen my first impression was "ugh" but then I start thinking again its diversity and about what they like. If everyone was the same it would be a boring world and no use for car shows because everyone's car would look the same.

PS: Those red hoses look good though!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM

is 04 engine cover fits on 03 max???
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM

^^ yes
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM

isnt the oil cap more above on 04 than 03??? or its just me??

Last edited by GreekMaxima; 12-11-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 PM

There is a ton to cover up! vacuum hoses? Basically any hose that doesn't hold pressure or a liquid could be done. Maybe not as many on your gen though
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
isnt the oil cap more above on 04 than 03??? or its just me??
Lots of people use the 6th gen cover, so it's just you. Perhaps you're thrown off by the location of the burger.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM

I try to keep mine cleaned, and well maintained.. that's pretty to me.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Updated...

Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it safe to get those details guys detail the engine?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Oh wow, these are really pretty! That whole dark chrome look, very much like the Black Chrome poweder-coating I had done last year.

I think I'm going to try out a set for the G37. The engine bay is a little bit dull.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Oh wow, these are really pretty! That whole dark chrome look, very much like the Black Chrome poweder-coating I had done last year.

I think I'm going to try out a set for the G37. The engine bay is a little bit dull.

I need a reminder about the ones I need to order, forgot their name already
Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by merovi
I need a reminder about the ones I need to order, forgot their name already
Stop it. You're giving me guilt.

Those are basic JDM fender washers (black), but the bolts were separately purchased. Those are polished titanium, M6x20mm countersunk allan-heads. You have to browse for that kind of stuff, and there are a number of ebay stores that sell Titanium hardware. In actuality, the 15mm bolts that come with the fender washers will fit for the engine cover, but you only catch a few threads. The 20mm are a better, more secure fit. Plus, Titanium > SS any day, IMO.

But yeah, these titanium bits get expensive.

You should give these gun-metal fender washers a run. I bet they'd look great. I'm wanting to get a set just to check it out. And if I like the look, there are about a dozen other M6 bolts in the G's engine area that might work out.

Anyway, I just got the car. I'm quite content to stretch out even the most tiny mod purchase, no matter how small.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Maybe one day I will post a picture of my engine bay. That is because I do not know if VQ35 in a 4th gen falls into this thread.

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)