5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Toolie

finally got some time to spend on the engine bay, lots more to do still

hoping to install and dyno tune in a few weeks or so, ceramic coated aluminum (80mm)BBMAF

can't see it but cermaic coated as well
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Looks Great! Where do go for ceramic coating? Cost?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Toolie

i have an airbrush and a compressor. I used Cilgen Satin Black. easy to use because it cures without an oven
Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 AM
You embarrass me.

From the East Coast Maxima meet...

I need more "Rochester" engine bay touches:
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
From the East Coast Maxima meet...

I need more "Rochester" engine bay touches:
Looks great Z.....

Definitely get rid of all yellow under there!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by vball_max
Looks great Z.....

Definitely get rid of all yellow under there!!!
Thank you!

Funny enough, I just helped Samuel1021 plastidip (Spray method) his Yellow caps.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Damn, Zero... that looks fantastic! (From 6 feet away )

I think I like your red Stillen FSTB, and the red hood-pins. But Kevin is spot-on about getting rid of the yellow accents. I even think I like those eye-lids, which I usually can't stand, but for some reason it appeals to me on your car... probably because it's black.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Damn, Zero... that looks fantastic! (From 6 feet away )

I think I like your red Stillen FSTB, and the red hood-pins. But Kevin is spot-on about getting rid of the yellow accents. I even think I like those eye-lids, which I usually can't stand, but for some reason it appeals to me on your car... probably because it's black.
Yeah, it gets much worse when you're close up haha. The FSTB is actually one of the original CustomMaxima FSTBs, but the paint is chipping off as we speak. It will be redone soon, once I can get more parts to the body shop. I think the slimmer eyelids from FibreCustoms work, and I did have the thicker ones before which gave the car downsyndrome... I was young and stupid. The yellow will be gone this week. Plastidip is soooo easy to work with. I already did my hood pins and my Maxima battery tie down. I highly recommend it for stuff like this. I will be borrowing my friend's 350Z this week, so I plan on bleaching my overflow tank like you did as well. We should really make an index for this thread of all the neat tips/tricks.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM

This is a great thread guys...It only took me 3 days to read through the entire thread and clean up the bay with ideas from here as I went..

So far I have swapped out my coolant and wiper fluid caps with the black coolant cap and gray wiper cap. I did the evap tuck and swapped out all front nuts and bolts. (Lights, Bumper tie downs, Radiator nuts, etc.) I am currently waiting for new radiator brackets to come in to match the new nuts. I rotated my MAF downwards so the plug is not as visible and rotated all the clamps downwards to clean up that look on my CAI. I removed and tucked the bracket on the drivers side (not sure what its called it has one plug running into the kind of T shaped lookign bracket held in by two bolts). I started steel wooling the UIM and other parts to clean up the look a little more.

I will hopefully be painting the dipstick and evap cap black today and continue steel wooling some more rusted things. Hopefully if I get to it can metal polish some of the stuff as well.

Hopefully have a nice picture up by the weekend after I get the brackets and the paint done.

Rochester why'd you let this thread die you run out of things to do?

Either way, thanks for all the great advice, ideas, and pictures to all who added.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by guarj17
Either way, thanks for all the great advice, ideas, and pictures to all who added.

Rochester why'd you let this thread die you run out of things to do?
Pretty much, yes, that's it.

I have a few things that were on my list (wiper motor and bolts, starter motor, PS fluid hose end-caps, etc.) But since I'm selling the Maxima in 6 months, I'll leave that to the next owner... if he's so inclined.

Glad you found inspiration here. This made my day.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pretty much, yes, that's it.

I have a few things that were on my list (wiper motor and bolts, starter motor, PS fluid hose end-caps, etc.) But since I'm selling the Maxima in 6 months, I'll leave that to the next owner... if he's so inclined.

Glad you found inspiration here. This made my day.
Your selling the max?????

You have a buyer!!!! Let me know when and how much!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Your selling the max?????

You have a buyer!!!! Let me know when and how much!
Actually, I have two local buyers... in case things don't work out.

Very reasonably priced, because I only have a 2-car garage, and I know both guys pretty well; or well enough to know they'll appreciate the car. However, if both can't come through in the April-May 2012 time frame, I'll sell it here on the Org. I can't have a 3rd car hanging around.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM

The only thing is, call it noobie or what not, I am a little nervous to take off parts and clean them and such. For example, how you took off the water pipes to have them cleaned and painted, theres no liquid or anything in them left over that you have to worry about? (Dont make fun of me for this. ) I want to take off and clean as much as I can without having any codes come up or anything squirting out all over me. This is the first engine I have worked on so I do not know what always has coolant or other fluids in it with the engine off.

I have also been reading through the thread about what is what in the engine and could not find anything in reference to this in there. Considering it seems you messed around with just about everything under the hood you think you could make up a quick list of things that are safe to take off and clean without any problems for the noobie engine workers here? Not sure if you'd rate this as off topic but it would definitly help me in getting my engine looking nice and spiffy so I can post some pictures.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Considering it seems you messed around with just about everything under the hood you think you could make up a quick list of things that are safe to take off and clean without any problems for the noobie engine workers here?
Sorry. Don't care. Brutal, but honest.

You'll have to drain most of the coolant when removing the water pipes. And the underside bolt on the bottom bracket is a major PITA to remove without stripping the head. And the O-ring gaskets can very easily tear when re-inserting the pipes, which you won't know until you fill up with fluid and start the car. Which means a total loss in fluid, and round-and-round you go.

Assuming you only have the one car, the best approach is to save up the water pipe swap for your next trip to the mechanic. Buy the pipes new, powdercoat them, and hand them to someone who can do the job.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Sorry. Don't care. Brutal, but honest.
Fair enough. Guess I will be learning the hard way. Hopefully this will go better then expected.

Assuming you only have the one car, the best approach is to save up the water pipe swap for your next trip to the mechanic. Buy the pipes new, powdercoat them, and hand them to someone who can do the job.
I will take the advise on leaving those pipes alone for now as it is my only car, but man do they need some cleaning. I will see what I can do with them still in the car.

I will get pictures up asap to hopefully get some more advise on going further with it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 AM

MAN, that water pipes are just... SEXY!

Damn Rochester, even when I got only a fews months in the ORG your engine bay looks so clean and shiny. That's effort and dedication my friend. Impressive job that you have done in your car and lucky bastard the future owner of that car.

Well, talking back about my car I cleaned the engine bay (again) this weekend because with the work and dusty environment my car just can't keep clean for more than 3 days until a nasty layer of dust covers my car. Gggrrrrr!!!

Also I installed a DIY grounding kit and the color of the cables fits perfectly with my car.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks, Flanker. And btw, I love the dark-red VC. Looks great.

This is the last picture I have of the engine. It's the one in my sig.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM

It does look nice. Now do something about the power steering line bracket in the upper right corner of the picture. Looks like it has rust on it.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
It does look nice. Now do something about the power steering line bracket in the upper right corner of the picture. Looks like it has rust on it.
The PS pressure sensor is in the upper left (not the right), and yes, it's messy in this photo. The picture was taken months ago... I've since bushed it clean and painted it black.

Thanks for noticing.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Anyone have any idea if I can buy the nissan logo on the engine cover without buying the entire cover? If so, can someone let me know where I can get it? If not, how can I clean up mine thats all heat bubbled and crappy?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Anyone have any idea if I can buy the nissan logo on the engine cover without buying the entire cover? If so, can someone let me know where I can get it? If not, how can I clean up mine thats all heat bubbled and crappy?
Yes, at your local Nissan parts department. Nissan doesn't part out the logo separate from the engine cover for the Maxima, but they do for the 3.5 Altima. Don't ask why, it doesn't make sense.

In other words, have them look up the chrome plastic logo for the engine cover on a 2004 Altima SE. It costs between $15 - $20.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Headers will make your engine look sexy
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Your engine bay looks great Rochester. Anyone know the part # for the rubber piece that you can get for the top of our headlights? It's a Nissan part. I know someone on here has them, but the search function sucks right now
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Govols83
Your engine bay looks great Rochester. Anyone know the part # for the rubber piece that you can get for the top of our headlights? It's a Nissan part. I know someone on here has them, but the search function sucks right now
Just like the engine cover burger, tell a parts department you want the "Headlamp weather-strip kit" for the 5th gen Maxima.

I spent all of $18 two years ago.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM

Desperately need to change the water pipes.

w/o the AE cover

(was resetting the wiring on the pass. headlamp)

Last edited by Nexus67; 10-26-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Yes, at your local Nissan parts department. Nissan doesn't part out the logo separate from the engine cover for the Maxima, but they do for the 3.5 Altima. Don't ask why, it doesn't make sense.

In other words, have them look up the chrome plastic logo for the engine cover on a 2004 Altima SE. It costs between $15 - $20.
If only the parts manager told me that instead of saying he can not sell it seperatly for my car. He is going to think I'm crazy buying all these murano and altima parts instead of maxima. Thanks!

I painted my engine cover black now because previously my radiator blew up and stained my cover with coolant. I tried getting it out but I was just ruining the cover so figured I would just paint it. Only thing is, I used high heat black paint for the cover to be safe, but could not find any high heat gloss to add the shine, it is just flat black. Dont get me wrong it looks nice and clean, but I would like that extra shine. Will I be safe using regular gloss paint and not high heat?

EDIT: Also, I just got off the phone with the dealership near me, they said they dont have that emblem on the cover seperate for any model. I tried telling him another Nissan employee in another state said they sell it seperatly and he just told me I would need to buy the whole cover.

Last edited by guarj17; 10-26-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

If only the parts manager told me that instead of saying he can not sell it seperatly for my car. He is going to think I'm crazy buying all these murano and altima parts instead of maxima. Thanks!

I painted my engine cover black now because previously my radiator blew up and stained my cover with coolant. I tried getting it out but I was just ruining the cover so figured I would just paint it. Only thing is, I used high heat black paint for the cover to be safe, but could not find any high heat gloss to add the shine, it is just flat black. Dont get me wrong it looks nice and clean, but I would like that extra shine. Will I be safe using regular gloss paint and not high heat?

EDIT: Also, I just got off the phone with the dealership near me, they said they dont have that emblem on the cover seperate for any model. I tried telling him another Nissan employee in another state said they sell it seperatly and he just told me I would need to buy the whole cover.
Here you go(NISSAN BURGER)
http://www.courtesyparts.com/14041p-...033_4034_4045&
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 AM

I am going to pick up my radiator brackets from the dealer today and I will ask him about this part number to see if he can find it. If not, I will have to order it. Thank you cjandura.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Call him back and have him order Nissan Part #14048-5Y710.

Then call the Service Manager and tell him his Parts Department guy is turning away customers.

And then... find a better Nissan Dealership.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Call him back and have him order Nissan Part #14048-5Y710.

Then call the Service Manager and tell him his Parts Department guy is turning away customers.

And then... find a better Nissan Dealership.
Those guys are useless. I brought them in the part number and they tried telling me it was a different style cover thats why there was one for $60 and one for $20....I have to go to another dealer and get away from the stupidity. Thanks for the part number Rochester.

Here is 2 pictures of what it looked like in the beginning of the week: (After the tuck to the right of the UIM and trying to get that damn stain out of the cover.)

And now for what it looks like after some cleaning up:

And a quick picture of the outside to give you an idea:

As you can see, I am in need of getting that emblem on the cover.

Other then that, what do you think for a first time engine clean up? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by guarj17; 10-27-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks, Flanker. And btw, I love the dark-red VC. Looks great.

This is the last picture I have of the engine. It's the one in my sig.

What the heck......do you EVER drive that car?? No rust, oil stains, leaves, pine cones, dead bees, spider webs, nothing!! Even the hoses shiny!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 AM

Other then that, what do you think for a first time engine clean up?
That is a HUGE improvement! Very well done. It's a nice feeling to open the hood and feel proud.

Any advice would be appreciated.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...l?ref=esp-link

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
What the heck......do you EVER drive that car?? No rust, oil stains, leaves, pine cones, dead bees, spider webs, nothing!! Even the hoses shiny!
About 100 miles a week, give or take. Driven every winter, too. Usually throw the snows and steelies on around Thanksgiving time.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM

You've got an AT, right? I can't see the tranny fluid stick under your Injen CAI, but the ABS module is offset and I think that orientation is only on AT cars.

Anyway, on the 6MT, the clutch bleeder valve is mounted to the driver-side strut tower. And on AT cars, the drop-resistor module is there (or something like that, not an expert.) But on your car... nothing.

What gives?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM

That is a HUGE improvement! Very well done. It's a nice feeling to open the hood and feel proud.

Thank you

After looking at all the specifics on the thread you posted, looks like I am getting some more nuts and bolts. I read that before I started this and wasn't going to bother, but once I started....I got pulled in.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 AM

You've got an AT, right? I can't see the tranny fluid stick under your Injen CAI, but the ABS module is offset and I think that orientation is only on AT cars.

Anyway, on the 6MT, the clutch bleeder valve is mounted to the driver-side strut tower. And on AT cars, the drop-resistor module is there (or something like that, not an expert.) But on your car... nothing.

What gives?
The stick is right next to the MAF housing on the left side of the hose.

Regarding the drop-resistor, I am not sure why it was where it was, or if it had a reason of being there, so I unmounted it and slid it under the fuse box on the driver side leaving it plugged in and went for a drive to see if there was any change or not. Everything ran exactly the same so I just left it there and put clean bolts in its place until I get a chance to really clean that thing up because it is horribly rotted. I am hoping your not going to tell me there was an important reason for it being mounted in that exact spot....I tried looking it up and couldnt find any reason for it being placed there.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM

I am hoping your not going to tell me there was an important reason for it being mounted in that exact spot....I tried looking it up and couldnt find any reason for it being placed there.
OMG, you moved it?! I hope you have life insurance!

(JK. I really have no idea.)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 AM

OMG, you moved it?! I hope you have life insurance!

(JK. I really have no idea.)
Well I guess if my tranny goes I know the cause. lol

Not sure where to go from here...thinking of getting the VIAS block plate. After reading many threads about it I understand it gives you more power top end and its even better if you get a extended rev limiter, but are there any cons when it comes to being a daily highway driver and I dont see anything about it actually being better or worse for the engine and such. Also, is it difficult to take out the VIAS? I know the kit comes with instructions but just wondering in advance. (I searched and got nothing regarding write ups or more details about it.) It sure does look alot better though as far as the dress up topic goes.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Not sure where to go from here...
FSTB.

Also, is it difficult to take out the VIAS?
Not at all. Here's some reading for you:

Last edited by Rochester; 10-27-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM

FSTB.
I will most likely do this soon. Do you have a link to where you got yours? With this to, I know there are most likely posts and threads about this but my search once again is doing me no good.

I want to replace headlights first. I have tried cleaning mine up with Mothers and 3M and I have no luck. They are just faded and seems there is nothing left to try. I am thinking about getting either the Anzo or Sonars from JM Auto Racing:

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...hid-combo.html

Not at all. Here's some reading for you:

Will try and get it ordered today. From all the reviews, it seems to be a good choice. Plus it looks awsome as a dress up.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

I will most likely do this soon. Do you have a link to where you got yours?
Racingline Performance

(That's my car on their website, still. Cool.)

Will try and get it ordered today. From all the reviews, it seems to be a good choice. Plus it looks awsome as a dress up.
Well, the Premium Plate looks great, that's true. The basic plate is just that... basic.

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)