5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I bought some Meguiars clay and did the hood and roof just now, then over that with Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0, and...

OMG! OMG! OMG!

C L A Y B A R !

How did I ever get to this point in my life and not know how to use this?

That is all.
Yeah I just used a claybar for the first time last month. It's amazing
Hey Rochester, I coincidentally just bought some Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax today. I've heard good things but I'd like your take on how it is compared to other waxes. What do you think? The last kind I used is the Mother's 3 Step stuff, which I like, but it doesn't last very long (a couple weeks). I'm really excited to try this NXT out!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Toolie

I used the Meguiars NXT and I wasn't that happy with it. seems like the Turtle Wax Ice lasted much longer.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I used the Meguiars NXT and I wasn't that happy with it. seems like the Turtle Wax Ice lasted much longer.
Originally Posted by jowo9
Hey Rochester, I coincidentally just bought some Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax today. I've heard good things but I'd like your take on how it is compared to other waxes. What do you think? The last kind I used is the Mother's 3 Step stuff, which I like, but it doesn't last very long (a couple weeks). I'm really excited to try this NXT out!
We really got off-topic, and I'm to blame here with my spraypaint snafu.

Oh well, you're the OP, jowo9.

Maguires NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid (that's a mouthful, eh?). I just started using NXT this Spring, which would be 4 months ago. It goes on real easy (liquid, duh), and hazes quickly. Buffing is far less effort than paste, almost effortless, really. And the nice thing is that over-waxing into trim and rubber is no problem, it just buffs right off. In fact, NXT works quite well on glossy-black plastic. As to shine... I'm loving it. You should see my roof after claybar-ing last night and using the NXT. It's absolutely perfect, deeply reflective, flawlessly brilliant.

However, it does not last as long as a good paste wax, as knight_yyz alluded to. 2 months, tops... (at least, that's my impression, having done the car up twice now with NXT. And about to do it a third time this year because of this mishap.)

That said, because application and buffing is so effortless, you could easily do the entire car in a few hours as an in-between-detailing refresh, every month or so.

For years, I had been using Collinite Super Double-coat paste wax as a top-coat for surface detailing, and I still do. Great paste. That's the kind of thing you want to do in November to get you through the winter.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We really got off-topic, and I'm to blame here with my spraypaint snafu.

Oh well, you're the OP, jowo9.

Maguires NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid (that's a mouthful, eh?). I just started using NXT this Spring, which would be 4 months ago. It goes on real easy (liquid, duh), and hazes quickly. Buffing is far less effort than paste, almost effortless, really. And the nice thing is that over-waxing into trim and rubber is no problem, it just buffs right off. In fact, NXT works quite well on glossy-black plastic. As to shine... I'm loving it. You should see my roof after claybar-ing last night and using the NXT. It's absolutely perfect, deeply reflective, flawlessly brilliant.

However, it does not last as long as a good paste wax, as knight_yyz alluded to. 2 months, tops... (at least, that's my impression, having done the car up twice now with NXT. And about to do it a third time this year because of this mishap.)

That said, because application and buffing is so effortless, you could easily do the entire car in a few hours as an in-between-detailing refresh, every month or so.

For years, I had been using Collinite Super Double-coat paste wax as a top-coat for surface detailing, and I still do. Great paste. That's the kind of thing you want to do in November to get you through the winter.
i really need to make time to wash and wax my car...i may have to look into this claybar thing.

B
Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 AM

I have been using NXT pretty much the entire time i have owned my sentra. I also use the professional line in my company. I have never had any issues with the product. Liquid polymer waxes only typically last three months, But i have seen cars i have detailed still look awesome after 6+ months.

You dont ever want to wax rubber components, even if it wipes right off. All waxes including ICE will dry out the rubber over time and eventually will ruin the rubber trim.

Paste wax is old news. Modern paints require a liquid wax. Liquid waxes are far less abrasive and apply more evenly over the surface. The reason why paste isnt so good anymore is because of its semi solid state. Applying it on the surface almost always will create micro scratches over time this will dull the surface. Its a definite do not use on dark colored cars

One thing that may help you guys with waxing is get a random orbit buffer or sander. I use a craftsman 5" rand orbit sander for my personal use at home. It has variable speeds and it comes with a nice foam pad that you can install a 5" micro fiber bonnet on. Using a polisher like that will cut you wax time in half, completely eliminate swirl marks, as its physical impossiable to create a swirl with a random orbit. It is also impossible to damage the paint with it. You can let it sit in one spot for 15 min and not burn through or damage anything.
Its a great tool that anyone can use and it costs less then $40
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Specd_out
I have been using NXT pretty much the entire time i have owned my sentra. I also use the professional line in my company. I have never had any issues with the product. Liquid polymer waxes only typically last three months, But i have seen cars i have detailed still look awesome after 6+ months.

You dont ever want to wax rubber components, even if it wipes right off. All waxes including ICE will dry out the rubber over time and eventually will ruin the rubber trim.

Paste wax is old news. Modern paints require a liquid wax. Liquid waxes are far less abrasive and apply more evenly over the surface. The reason why paste isnt so good anymore is because of its semi solid state. Applying it on the surface almost always will create micro scratches over time this will dull the surface. Its a definite do not use on dark colored cars

One thing that may help you guys with waxing is get a random orbit buffer or sander. I use a craftsman 5" rand orbit sander for my personal use at home. It has variable speeds and it comes with a nice foam pad that you can install a 5" micro fiber bonnet on. Using a polisher like that will cut you wax time in half, completely eliminate swirl marks, as its physical impossiable to create a swirl with a random orbit. It is also impossible to damage the paint with it. You can let it sit in one spot for 15 min and not burn through or damage anything.
Its a great tool that anyone can use and it costs less then $40
thanks man...i may pick one up this weekend

B
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM

If you guys are interested in the 411 on detailing... check out autogeek.net.

Its a family owned store and they actually carry quality detailing waxes, polishes etc which are way better than the pick up in the store ones mentioned in this thread.

Look for brands like Menzerna, Poorboys just to name a few... the list goes on.

For a car with age, a polish is more important to bring the gloss back. Something a wax does not help in.

I hope Scottwax provides some input here!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Auto geek is good. I have attended seminars held by them and their, seminars seemed to geared more toward dealership detailing and detailing cars that never get driven.

I also attended mequires seminars and IMO they help you with more real world problems and defect removal. the seem to be aimed more at mobile detailing and average car owners.

I use 90% mequires with teh exception of menzerna heavy cut polish. I only use menzerna because mequires dosent have a heavy enough grit to cut quickly through 1500 grit wetsand marks.

If anyone is interested my arsenal consists of
Menzerna heavy cut
mequires 105 heavy cut polish
mequires 86
mequires 205
Mequires NXT professional
Mequires Professional Detailer
Mequires Quick Wax.
Mequires heavy cut syn wool pad, heavy cut red foam pad, Polishing yellow pad and black finishing pad
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Toolie

zaino FTW
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM

An update on my recent overspray mishap leading to this epiphany about claybar... it's a few days later now, and I just finished fully clarbaring the entire car, while applying a coat of Maguires NXT one section at a time. Took a few days to get through it all, but I'm there now, and then some. Quite frankly, my car has never looked this good, and that's saying something, because, well, I got some pretty high standards and it's a PITA to shoot for them.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the way this turned out. It's an awesome thing when a problem takes you one step back, but three steps forward, you know what I mean?

BTW, claybar on the glass. Wow! (wash - clay - wash - wow)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Nobody is stopping you, champ. Go right ahead.
Thanks for the permission, as well as posting a pic, big guy! Good post.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Not sure what that means...

...but you're the one with the 5.0 gen, so whip out the camera and show us what you're doing to detail the engine.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 PM

An update on my recent overspray mishap leading to this epiphany about claybar... it's a few days later now, and I just finished fully clarbaring the entire car, while applying a coat of Maguires NXT one section at a time. Took a few days to get through it all, but I'm there now, and then some. Quite frankly, my car has never looked this good, and that's saying something, because, well, I got some pretty high standards and it's a PITA to shoot for them.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the way this turned out. It's an awesome thing when a problem takes you one step back, but three steps forward, you know what I mean?

BTW, claybar on the glass. Wow! (wash - clay - wash - wow)
That is definitely saying something, every picture I see of your car, it just looks immaculate, I dont know how you keep up with it so well. But I am glad I could help you discover what you've been missing out on
I also use NXT, definitely one of the nicest waxes I have used. After using that and claybar and a little ultimate compound my paint looked brand new
Claybar FTW!! def use it on the windshield, with a nice coat of wax too, its great!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Not sure what that means...

...but you're the one with the 5.0 gen, so whip out the camera and show us what you're doing to detail the engine.
Mine is plain jane. Was looking for some other guys' stuff to get some ideas.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by tdabboud
That is definitely saying something, every picture I see of your car, it just looks immaculate, I dont know how you keep up with it so well...
Oh, that's easy. All you need is a garage, a supportive spouse, and a disproportionate amount of obsession. I'm thankful for the first two... a little worried about the third.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM

I'm wanting to re-do a lot of the wire conduit in the engine bay. Also known as "wire loom" or "wire housing". One of the things I discovered is that the clips that hold conduit against retainers are called "Robebud Clips." That's kind of interesting. This seems like a really good retailer for stuff:

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom-clips/

Anyhow, by way of actively doing something today, I removed the wire retainer bracket on the top-front of the engine (under the engine cover), as well as the one I'm using now for the Evap Solenoid. Then I cleaned them on the wire-wheel, primed and painted. They look fantastic.

Not sure why I'm doing hidden stuff like that, but what the hay...

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 PM

A few weeks ago, rroderiques77 showed pictures of his new engine cover, and I commented about his worm-gear hose-clamps on the upper radiator hose, suggesting he use t-bolt clamps. Of course, I made that suggestion without actually using them myself. So Roy went and bought some, and they looked great.

They looked so good, in fact, that I went and did the same this week. Very, very content with the way it turned out.

I also replaced the hose with a new OEM tube, at $20 from my local dealership. I figure it was good maintenance at 62K miles. (I'll replace the lower hose next week.) Oh, and I scrubbed off the little white lettering, so the hose is nice and black. Some WD40 and very fine steel wool works nicely for that, then Armor All to shine it up.

Here's the upper clamp:

And here's the lower:

Then I replaced the crappy Spectre t-bolts that I bought at Pep-Boys for the SRI, with 3.125" clamps from an ebay retailer out of Hong Kong. I got lucky, and the ebay clamps are much better:

Last edited by Rochester; 08-26-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Looking sharp!!! ^^^^

Lets see the wire conduit when you're done.....
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 AM

Guys... has anyone heard of stainless steel "mini-clamps"? And no, not your typical worm-clamp design.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...c341pf8p2flhb2

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
You embarrass me.

The claybar + NXT 2.0 should do wonders. I do this once every couple of months, but in between, I'll wash and spray some Ult. Quik Wax after I dry off the car.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Toolie

i like herbie clamps, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...erbieclips.php
Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Cletus

my engine

Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

That's pretty dirty, Sooner.

You should probably close the hood when you drive around

IDK about those, Knight. They look pretty clever, and maybe hella functional. But they're fugly unattractive.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Cletus

its a truck...doesnt need to be clean...ive only washed it once in 2 years
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Toolie

IDK about those, Knight. They look pretty clever, and maybe hella functional. But they're fugly unattractive.

they come in different colors
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
its a truck...doesnt need to be clean...ive only washed it once in 2 years
What do you have that's on-topic, Sooner?

I know you've done things to your previous cars, and you've got pictures. So what do you have by way of ideas and photos that are on-topic?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Cletus

What do you have that's on-topic, Sooner?

I know you've done things to your previous cars, and you've got pictures. So what do you have by way of ideas and photos that are on-topic?
i posted a picture of my maxima engine bay on page one...with the modified and painted engine cover and painted caps

but here it is again

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM

i posted a picture of my maxima engine bay on page one...with the modified and painted engine cover and painted caps

but here it is again

ha did you only paint the top of your coolant reservoir silver and leave the sides yellow???
Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NismoVQdet?
ha did you only paint the top of your coolant reservoir silver and leave the sides yellow???
it was all silver...rubbed off...repainted

Last edited by SoonerFan; 08-27-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM

very nice!! sorry im a painter and its a habit to notice those small things. meant no disrespect
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NismoVQdet?
very nice!! sorry im a painter and its a habit to notice those small things. meant no disrespect
understood...it drove me crazy until i fixed it
Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 PM

I'm not feeling the chopped up engine cover, or the painted caps. Other than those things, it's looks pretty basic. But you do get props for doing something unique.

And it's still more interesting than the truck's engine bay, that's for sure.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

but here it is again

I've always liked your engine bay Sooner. Clever cover BTW. Painting the rest of the caps black in lieu of silver would have made more sense IMO.

they come in different colors
Those clamps are damn inconspicuous!! I kinda like them..
Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Toolie

OK, Rochester was making fun of my engine bay when he came to visit us up here in the great white north. So I decided to do something about it.
Step one, degreased the engine bay and washed my filter.
Step two, install a pile of blue titanium nuts...
Step 3 call it a day because I worked night shift last night. LOL
Well take a few pics first then go to bed...

I'm changing the engine cover bolts, they were freebies so I thought I'd try them out... better than the rusted oem's though
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM

OK, Rochester was making fun of my engine bay when he came to visit us up here in the great white north. So I decided to do something about it.
I don't know if I made fun of your engine bay in any obvious way... it was more like, if you can't say something nice, then don't make eye contact. Besides, we all know your Maxima runs better than most, so its under-the-hood appearance just isn't that big a deal. At least you don't have rust-proofing gunk haphazardly gooping up every nook & cranny.

Love the way your new blue-titanium pieces match the oil cap. And I really like the tapered allen head bolt on the engine cover. Makes me think about replacing my engine cover bolts, even though they're fine... I like the extra bling there.

Not at all digging blue wire conduit on the the hose. (What is that, btw? Air conditioning line?) Anyway, that's just flat-out wrong... wire conduit on a rubber hose.

But all in all, it's headed in the right direction. Keep going!

Last edited by Rochester; 08-28-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Toolie

Thats coming off... I have a few surprises in store over the next week or so
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Cletus

it's looks pretty basic.
its a maxima engine bay no real reason to make it look "pretty"
Old 08-28-2010, 11:57 AM
You embarrass me.

No real reason to modify anything on a Maxima. We're all gonna end up with Xterras and still post here, right?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
No real reason to modify anything on a Maxima. We're all gonna end up with Xterras and still post here, right?
I know I am
Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 PM

its a maxima engine bay no real reason to make it look "pretty"
Props for heeding your own advice on that.

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)