5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window motor/regulator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Window motor/regulator problem?

Hi, just wondering if this is a regulator/motor, or switch problem. My driver's side door window has been acting up lately, sometimes the window will go down and up, sometimes it will not move at all. Either it will not move at all or it goes down very slowly and stop somewhere along the way and will not move, then after awhile it moves again up/down slowly, but it will only move a little bit again before it stops. When I press the switch I dont hear any sounds when it's not moving.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Sounds like the motor is going bad

Based on your description my money would be on the motor. The other possibility is the window is binding up in the track. You can spray silicone in the window guides and see if that helps. The switch would be easy enough to test with a meter once you have the door panel removed (it sounds like you're going to be taking the panel off anyway).

I suppose the regulator could be the culprit but it's been my experience that they start to make nasty noises when they fail. On my BMW the cables in the regulator jump off the pulleys and make some ugly noises when rolling the window up/down.

Last edited by slo-ryde; 08-25-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Yea, im gonna take the door apart this weekend, but I just wanted to know what I should look for/check for. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM

A meter would help with the troubleshooting

Originally Posted by sunysb83
Yea, im gonna take the door apart this weekend, but I just wanted to know what I should look for/check for. Thanks for any help.
Once you get the door panel off it shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. I would unplug the harness going to the motor and use the meter to verify that voltage is getting to the plug at the motor. I've never opened up the doors on my car but see from parts diagrams that the motor can be removed from the regulator assembly. With the motor removed I would plug it back in to the harness and see if it works with no load on it. If that checks out I would be looking at the regulator for binding or broken parts. And I would make sure the window isn't binding in the guides.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my right window had the same problem and it died on me. circuit short on the board. where do i find a replacement part in south africa, please HELP
Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Sorry, I have no idea.

Originally Posted by Strawberrydoll
my right window had the same problem and it died on me. circuit short on the board. where do i find a replacement part in south africa, please HELP
I guess the first thing you would need to do is figure out the part number for the circuit board. Where is this circuit board located?

Here's a link to Courtesy Nissan Parts, just drill down to your model and year and click on the link "Genuine Nissan Parts" to open the online parts catalog:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Then you'll need to navigate around until you find the part, probably under electrical stuff. You can also use this site to search by part number if you already have it.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 AM

I'd try silicone first, since hot summer days seems to screw up most car windows.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by ColdRain
I'd try silicone first, since hot summer days seems to screw up most car windows.
I always check the easy stuff first!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the help, it actually was the motor, checked the master switch and it was fine, the regulator/cables moved fine without the motor attached. I had to take out the motor and manually move the regulator up because my window was opened about 3 inches, now it's just held on by two screws(and some tape) till I get my new motor. I may as well just spray the guides with silicone too since I will have to take it apart one more time.

Stealership wanted like $300 bucks for the motor and $100 bucks for a regulator, I got an aftermarket regulator/motor for like $70 bucks.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Sorry to hear it was the motor

It's the most expensive part! My guess is the brushes in the motor have failed. It might be fun to tear apart the motor just to confirm.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM

A little more than an hour of labor and $70 bucks later, window works better than new , the most annoying part was screwing and unscrewing the glass from the track. Think I have to do the window reset, on auto up, the window drops back down a few inches.