5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID fogs 2003 max

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM

HID fogs 2003 max

I just picked up a set of HID fog light bulbs for my car. I saw the write up on shift ice but my question is how did you run the wiring and everything thru the back of the fog light itself. I dont want to butcher it up at all, and i want to keep it sealed up tight so no water gets in.

These are OEM fog lights, not aftermarket replacements.

Any pics would be great.

Thanks

jay
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM

No pics - sorry.

It takes a bit of finesse to get it all purdy - but I'm pretty sure I cut and re-spliced the wires from the Bulb to the Ignitor/Ballast and fed them thru the OEM rubber bushing on the back of the Fogs.
A little silicone lube/spray helped push them thru.
This was the only way to keep/use the OEM rubber bushing, and also keep it watertight, IMHO.
I could, if I wanted, rewire it BACK to stock as well -- but that won't ever need to happen.

Mine ended-up being far from plug and play -- but that's just how I like to do things.....better than what comes in the box.

I've also wired a separate switch on my dash to run my fogs independent from the OEM headlight circuit, so I can run the fogs ALWAYS ON -- Even with my high beams!
Works great, and I don't have any flickering/restarting issues alot of people get when flashing from high to low beams, or flash-to-pass....they're ALWAYS on, but still switched independently of the headlamps/parking lamps.

I also wired-in an aux. Relay circuit JUST for the fogs.

This also eliminated my "Fog-Light Wire Mod" patch, that was tapping power for the fog lamps from the Parking lites -- which I'm pretty certain was causing my parking lamps to fail prematurely.

Sorry -- too much info.....
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM

That is what it looks like its going to come down to, or just not even bothering with them at all. I dont want to mess with the car all to much as it is since in a few years i am going to just sell it anyway or give it to my step kids when they start driving, and want no issues with it in the future.

ill keep an eye on the parking lights since i did the same mod the same day i bought the car
Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
No pics - sorry.

It takes a bit of finesse to get it all purdy - but I'm pretty sure I cut and re-spliced the wires from the Bulb to the Ignitor/Ballast and fed them thru the OEM rubber bushing on the back of the Fogs.
A little silicone lube/spray helped push them thru.
This was the only way to keep/use the OEM rubber bushing, and also keep it watertight, IMHO.
I could, if I wanted, rewire it BACK to stock as well -- but that won't ever need to happen.

Mine ended-up being far from plug and play -- but that's just how I like to do things.....better than what comes in the box.

I've also wired a separate switch on my dash to run my fogs independent from the OEM headlight circuit, so I can run the fogs ALWAYS ON -- Even with my high beams!
Works great, and I don't have any flickering/restarting issues alot of people get when flashing from high to low beams, or flash-to-pass....they're ALWAYS on, but still switched independently of the headlamps/parking lamps.

I also wired-in an aux. Relay circuit JUST for the fogs.

This also eliminated my "Fog-Light Wire Mod" patch, that was tapping power for the fog lamps from the Parking lites -- which I'm pretty certain was causing my parking lamps to fail prematurely.

Sorry -- too much info.....
I'm not sure if you're saying you cut the bulbs wires or not to 'feed' them through but if you did lol see below

Why would you cut the wires coming from the bulb!!!!! That will cause you ballast and bulbs to prematurely fail. The ballast --> bulb wires are extremely well insulated and should never be cut, if you wish to extend them you have to use AMP extenders!

That is why they sell these:

http://compare.ebay.com/2x-high-qual...e/190291597728

While you may say hey its working for now, it is never a good idea to cut and extend high voltage ballast wires.

My personal preference for putting HIDs in your fogs is to make a little cut on the side of that screwing rear cap of the fog lamp. Then put the rubber on first, put the cap on with the bulb wires nicely in the corner, and finish the install. Water doesn't really get anywhere near there, but if you demand perfection, you can put a bit of silicone to make it water tight.

Last edited by luvlexus101; 08-30-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typosss