5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

gutted cat converters

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 08:05 AM
QUANSUNG

i gutted all 3 cats and was wondering is it worth getting a y-pipe now since most of the added power comes from the removel of the 2 cats for the pipe instalation , or is it just to satisfy the ecu because the check engine light came on after awhile until i disconnected the battery ,i don't know how long that might work i have'nt drove the car yet ,also who makes the best y-pipe for 2k? input needed

Old 11-08-2000, 08:17 AM
Keven97SE

I'd estimate that only 1/3-1/3 the gains of the aftermarket ypipes come from the removed pre-cats. The main retriction is the "y" section itself. The stock ypipe actually routes the rear cylinder bank exhaust INTO the front exhaust...the rear exhaust has to literally make like a 100-110 deg turn...more than 90 deg...to start flowing backwards towards the rear of the car.

I'd expect you to see some additional, significant gains by going with an aftermarket ypipe.

That having been said, you're screwed...your MIL light will be on from now on. Never should have gutted the cats. You'll need to buy a new front pre-cat and main cat to get the MIL to clear.

Old 11-08-2000, 08:31 AM
QUANSUNG

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I'd estimate that only 1/3-1/3 the gains of the aftermarket ypipes come from the removed pre-cats. The main retriction is the "y" section itself. The stock ypipe actually routes the rear cylinder bank exhaust INTO the front exhaust...the rear exhaust has to literally make like a 100-110 deg turn...more than 90 deg...to start flowing backwards towards the rear of the car.

I'd expect you to see some additional, significant gains by going with an aftermarket ypipe.

That having been said, you're screwed...your MIL light will be on from now on. Never should have gutted the cats. You'll need to buy a new front pre-cat and main cat to get the MIL to clear.
thanks for the info i don't have to have the car inspected for 2 years so that at least not a problem plenty of time to get an after market cat ,so which y-pipe should i go with?

Old 11-08-2000, 10:19 AM
Keven97SE

There all pretty good. They'll all gain the same amount of HP, more or less. The Stillen one is the cheapest but the least durable (still pretty good). The Cattman JetHot is better (durability-wise), and the stainless Cattman is best. It'll last forever. This new company (forget name) is coming out with one soon, too. I'd watch for them. Sounds like they are fixing some of the little issues Cattman and Stillen haven't, and at a better price.

But to get rid of the MIL light, like I said, you'll need to install a new front pre-cat and main cat...actually, maybe only the front pre-cat would be needed...I keep forgetting the new O2 sensor placement on the 99-up Maximas.

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
Originally posted by Keven97SE

thanks for the info i don't have to have the car inspected for 2 years so that at least not a problem plenty of time to get an after market cat ,so which y-pipe should i go with?

Old 11-08-2000, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

When I gutted my cat on my 3-gen, power went DOWN, emissions smelled bad and the resonance noise from the empty can was quite horrible.

i gutted all 3 cats and was wondering is it worth getting a y-pipe now since most of the added power comes from the removel of the 2 cats for the pipe instalation , or is it just to satisfy the ecu because the check engine light came on after awhile until i disconnected the battery ,i don't know how long that might work i have'nt drove the car yet ,also who makes the best y-pipe for 2k? input needed
Old 11-08-2000, 10:30 AM
Keven97SE

You probably killed a couple of squirrels from asphyxiation (sp?) every time you drove by, too.

I removed the cat from my old VW GTI. Replaced the downpipe with a different style that removed the cat. I gained NO power from doing that, either. Gutted cats/removed cats are a wasted effort on a non-turbocharged car. Iz only guud for kill'n squorrls.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
When I gutted my cat on my 3-gen, power went DOWN, emissions smelled bad and the resonance noise from the empty can was quite horrible.