5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removing my EVAP System in it's entirety...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM

thanks for the reply & info, lookin for napas # now.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Prophecy, I don't have the exact codes off-hand, but if you have a small leak code, start with the gas cap. (about $23)

If you have a valve stuck open/closed code, you'll have to replace the release valve at the charcoal tank. (about $100)

However, replacing that valve will likely destroy the charcoal tank, so you'll have to replace that as well. (about $200)

Figure 1 - 2 hours labor for the shop, and you can approximate the math.

With hindsight, if there were someway to cut the valve bolts, rather than attempt to back them out, you could then strap the new valve in against the tank. There's an o-ring on the valve that makes the seal. After which, all you really need is some technique to fix the valve tight... it doesn't have to be the OEM bolts. Be creative, maybe you can get lucky.
I still say its worth trying a junkyard part. The 5th gen valve looks to be better made to me, and I've no problems with my EVAP system since I put in a 2001 evap canister and solenoid. I paid like $35 or something for it. Working fine, no issues. For that kind of money, if it fails in a year or 2, big deal. I can't believe how much that stupid junk costs at a dealer.... waste of $.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Get Off My Lawn

It should go without saying, but a component to all this is to make sure you are properly tightening your gas cap (even on my new one I have to push firmly in and twist 3-4 clicks) and DO NOT overfill/top off your tank. Once the nozle clicks off, stop!

I recently posted I had replaced my gas cap about a month ago and it resolved my 455 (high leak) code before I was home from Nissan (under 20 minutes). Then, last week I filled up and just "had" to add those .03 cents of gas. I also didn't push in on my new gas cap when tightening.

Filled up again two days ago, didn't top off the tank and pressed in on the new cap. My SES light went off today after approximately 90 miles of driving. Good grief.

Light is back off for now.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM

John- that CEL? Same codes as before

Large EVAP leak, Vent valve stays open

Soooooo I guess I'll be testing my new vent valve per the FSM instructions, or there's a huge split/crack hiding in my charcoal can where I can't see it. The minor crack I've got isn't deep enough to compromise the shell, and I'd also expect a small leak code, if somehow I wasn't seeing its severity.

The more I think about this we todd id EVAP system, the more I'm resigning myself to the fact that my original idea of pulling a vacuum on the pressure sensor isn't gonna get me "outta jail" If it were that simple, we'd have a single EVAP error code, not the bazillion we do. Guess the ECM does have a specific cause/reaction table that tells it when what it's trying to do does or does not work.....

Oh, and that same B1S2 pair of codes. I wonder why all 4 pop at the same time?......
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 AM

BlackMacks, I'm sorry to hear your problem continues. And I'm confused why there would be a "vent open" code when you have a new valve. The "large leak" code... isn't that usually a gas cap solution? While that may be true, having a gas cap fail at the same time as all this other crap is highly unlikely.

When my mechanic and I were discussing the EVAP system, he was agreeing that American cars have been built with an EVAP charcoal tank for 40 years, but originally it was passive. It's only been since the mid 90's or so that the system has been micro-managed to the extent it is today with a computer-controlled release valve, purge solenoid, etc.

Anyway, as the familiar phrase goes, I feel your pain. (Oh, look! An unintentional "cigar" segue! )

Last edited by Rochester; 11-19-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
John- that CEL? Same codes as before

Large EVAP leak, Vent valve stays open

Soooooo I guess I'll be testing my new vent valve per the FSM instructions, or there's a huge split/crack hiding in my charcoal can where I can't see it. The minor crack I've got isn't deep enough to compromise the shell, and I'd also expect a small leak code, if somehow I wasn't seeing its severity.
It's been a few weeks now... what's the verdict?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM

Meh, I haven't done anything on this yet, been busy with the holidays coming and work and other car issues (radiator), so no further news.....