5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lotta Questions! Please Show Me The Way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Lotta Questions! Please Show Me The Way.

Alrighty guys here we go

1. What are the stock calipers made out of? I'm thinking cast iron but not too sure.
2. Can we polish the calipers to a mirror finish?
3. Would the stock axel-back muffler fit on an aftermarket y-pipe?(I want the performance not the sound. Gotta Keep it a secret)
4. Is shifting through the gears in my Auto bad?
5. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it jerks enough to bark sometimes. Is there something wrong. I know thats harsh on the tranny.
6. I know on the spec v, removing the butterflies on the IM (CVTC) hurt NA power alot. Would removing VIAS do the same?
7. Everything dims for a second for each thing to turn on. HID's, Radio, Windows. Each thing I do dims everything else slightly for only a moment. I'm thinking Big 3 Upgrade would help alot yes?
8. I've gone through a bunch of threads talking about the ping in the 5.5. IS there anyway to solve this problem cheaply? running 93. already tried unleaded race gas as well. Did not notice any difference. My ping is around 1800RPM and is not high pitched. sounds like knock.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoDenKai
Alrighty guys here we go

1. What are the stock calipers made out of? I'm thinking cast iron but not too sure.

Iron I believe.

I'm not sure on this one.

3. Would the stock axel-back muffler fit on an aftermarket y-pipe?(I want the performance not the sound. Gotta Keep it a secret)

Yes.

Upshifting shouldn't hurt, downshifting will put extra stress on it.

5. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it jerks enough to bark sometimes. Is there something wrong. I know thats harsh on the tranny.

Nope.

6. I know on the spec v, removing the butterflies on the IM (CVTC) hurt NA power alot. Would removing VIAS do the same?

CVTC is for the variable cam timing, not related to butterflies. Removing the VIAS causes a slight loss in low end power to benefit high RPM power.

7. Everything dims for a second for each thing to turn on. HID's, Radio, Windows. Each thing I do dims everything else slightly for only a moment. I'm thinking Big 3 Upgrade would help alot yes?

To my knowledge yes. Your battery could be weak. The backlight on my odometer dimmed out when I cranked my car on my last battery.

8. I've gone through a bunch of threads talking about the ping in the 5.5. IS there anyway to solve this problem cheaply? running 93. already tried unleaded race gas as well. Did not notice any difference. My ping is around 1800RPM and is not high pitched. sounds like knock.

I have the 3.0L 5th gen, so I'm not sure on this.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 PM

People will yell at you (er, "yell" at you) for not searching to find all these answers yourself. Or, at the very least, for not making it look like you tried to find your own answers. Rochester has a very funny picture of a hand spoon-feeding a baby.

I'mma just ignore the ones I can't answer.

#4: Why would it be bad? The transmission is going to shift on its own, anyway. Heck, one could even argue that you are extending the transmission's life by not letting it shift as much as it would on its own.

#5: Er... I wasn't aware the automatic transmission could bark the tires (love that verb!), but I'm not surprised that it can. I think it would bark them regardless of whether you shift from 1 to 2 or just leave it in drive, right? Some people think that "manually" shifting the automatic is faster than leaving it to its own devices. I can't comment on that.

#6: There's a new thread on this further down this page, but several others discussing it. In short, the VIAS delete helps people that need power at the high end of the RPM range. It can't "hurt" so much as shift the power from one spot to another--whether that is helpful or hurtful is up to the driver to decide.

#7: You should really try hooking up to a new battery and seeing if everything still dims. Adding grounds won't help a dying battery put out more juice! It's gotten colder and the batteries are taking a beating. Just swap the poor little guy out. ~$30 more than a grounding kit, but with more benefits! (Brighter lights, faster cranks...)

#8: O.o Where did you find race gas? 100 octane? 108? Can that stuff even ignite in our engines? Fortunately, my engine has never pinged or knocked on me (126K mi) so I can't comment on that issue.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 AM

Alrighty guys here we go

Yes, cast iron
You can try I doubt it, powdercoat them a chrome/silver color!
Well the rear muffler section (axleback) will bolt up to a 2.5" Cattman bpipe and yes it's stealthy quiet @ cruise/part throttle and power packing @ WOT! The ypipe>cat>bpipe>axleback
No, not if done right!
Never seen that unless it has a shift kit......Do you?
Yes, IMO....Low end torque is sacrificed for topend power, I love good driveability.....OEM crisp throttle response!
Big 3???? But check your grounds for cleaniness and tightness!!!
I was told but unsure about changing the charchoal canister! Running cooler plugs help a little....
Old 11-27-2010, 02:45 AM

Alrighty guys here we go

1. What are the stock calipers made out of? I'm thinking cast iron but not too sure. Yes
2. Can we polish the calipers to a mirror finish? Yes but why? Powder coat!
3. Would the stock axel-back muffler fit on an aftermarket y-pipe?(I want the performance not the sound. Gotta Keep it a secret)Ypipe>cat>bpipe>axleback....Cattman bpipe and Oem muffler fit together perfectly with a slight mod.
4. Is shifting through the gears in my Auto bad? No, if done right!!!
5. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it jerks enough to bark sometimes. Is there something wrong. I know thats harsh on the tranny.Only if it has a shift kit
6. I know on the spec v, removing the butterflies on the IM (CVTC) hurt NA power alot. Would removing VIAS do the same? Yes lowend sluggish
7. Everything dims for a second for each thing to turn on. HID's, Radio, Windows. Each thing I do dims everything else slightly for only a moment. I'm thinking Big 3 Upgrade would help alot yes? check and clean all grounds
Possibly the charcoal canister!
read all my response!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM

OP, you found at least 3 members to help out with some opinions & ideas, which is pretty amazing. Usually threads like this get stomped on, or ignored. You'll find what works best is to focus discussion on one issue at a time. When you dump all your questions into a single post, it's difficult to speak to any one thing.

Here's my one thing: I don't think the OEM calipers polish without a serious effort, and even then they're not the most attractive visual design. Instead, clean and paint with flat-black or silver. Mine look like misshapen hunks of rust, btw, so that's not experience talking, just opinion. You could research some caliper "covers" if it's pure appearance that's of concern. If it's appearance and performance, consider a BBK upgrade.

Originally Posted by Eirik
People will yell at you (er, "yell" at you) for not searching to find all these answers yourself. Or, at the very least, for not making it look like you tried to find your own answers. Rochester has a very funny picture of a hand spoon-feeding a baby.
Yeah, that image is pretty funny.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 PM

I'm curious on the pinging issue if it could be caused by a bad or failing knock sensor. The KS won't trip the CEL, but if you use a reader it will throw a code. Seems like one that was failing might cause pinging, since that is what it is supposed to prevent.

On the calipers comment, yeah, they are ugly. I spray painted mine black with engine enamel.

Shifting yourself in an automatic? Can it hurt? I guess it depends how good you are at shifting. If you are barking in 2nd, I'm thinking you are asking for transmission trouble. The Nissan autos are pretty reliable when driven conservatively, but the boy racers destroy them on a semi-regular basis. It is not a transmission that was designed to be driven in manual mode like a Tiptronic or the like.

Last edited by trooplewis; 11-27-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eirik

I'mma just ignore the ones I can't answer.

#4: Why would it be bad? The transmission is going to shift on its own, anyway. Heck, one could even argue that you are extending the transmission's life by not letting it shift as much as it would on its own.

#5: Er... I wasn't aware the automatic transmission could bark the tires (love that verb!), but I'm not surprised that it can. I think it would bark them regardless of whether you shift from 1 to 2 or just leave it in drive, right? Some people think that "manually" shifting the automatic is faster than leaving it to its own devices. I can't comment on that.

#6: There's a new thread on this further down this page, but several others discussing it. In short, the VIAS delete helps people that need power at the high end of the RPM range. It can't "hurt" so much as shift the power from one spot to another--whether that is helpful or hurtful is up to the driver to decide.

#7: You should really try hooking up to a new battery and seeing if everything still dims. Adding grounds won't help a dying battery put out more juice! It's gotten colder and the batteries are taking a beating. Just swap the poor little guy out. ~$30 more than a grounding kit, but with more benefits! (Brighter lights, faster cranks...)

#8: O.o Where did you find race gas? 100 octane? 108? Can that stuff even ignite in our engines? Fortunately, my engine has never pinged or knocked on me (126K mi) so I can't comment on that issue.
One of our local gas stations owned by some arabs sells unleaded race gas. its expensive but hey we use it. its purple instead of blue 108 octane. we also have leaded race gas at the track too. its blue 116 octane. I love the smell of race gas though when its burning.....wooh feelin a lil woozy! lolz also makes it safer for me to run nitrous!

also the car does not bark if i leave it in D and punch it though it does not go all the way to redline

Last edited by BoDenKai; 11-28-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
OP, you found at least 3 members to help out with some opinions & ideas, which is pretty amazing. Usually threads like this get stomped on, or ignored. You'll find what works best is to focus discussion on one issue at a time. When you dump all your questions into a single post, it's difficult to speak to any one thing.

Here's my one thing: I don't think the OEM calipers polish without a serious effort, and even then they're not the most attractive visual design. Instead, clean and paint with flat-black or silver. Mine look like misshapen hunks of rust, btw, so that's not experience talking, just opinion. You could research some caliper "covers" if it's pure appearance that's of concern. If it's appearance and performance, consider a BBK upgrade.

Yeah, that image is pretty funny.

I got this idea from unfortunately the SRT forums. I was looking up polishing the rims and this popped up. Mirror finish calipers looks smexy!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 AM

Another quick question as well. I remember seeing something on the spec v forums about the automatics and messing with the wiring to make the transmission shift "!Harder..Better..Faster..Stronger!". Is that possible here? I believe it was a solenoid or a relay.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 AM

There's a caliper cover product out there from a company called MGP.

http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/1999...per_Covers.htm

I've never seen it in person, but the manufacture's marketing materials look pretty good. Sure, it's very expensive... but if you're content with the OEM calipers, and are using quality pads & rotors, maybe this is an option.

Not sure if they have a set for the 5.5 gen, though.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 AM

One of our local gas stations owned by some arabs sells unleaded race gas. its expensive but hey we use it. its purple instead of blue 108 octane. we also have leaded race gas at the track too. its blue 116 octane. I love the smell of race gas though when its burning.....wooh feelin a lil woozy! lolz also makes it safer for me to run nitrous!

also the car does not bark if i leave it in D and punch it though it does not go all the way to redline
Ah, ok. running leaded race gas, running it to redline, and you're worried about pinging...

It's your car, but if you want to drive like a boy racer, be prepared to pay the pit crew...
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Ah, ok. running leaded race gas, running it to redline, and you're worried about pinging...

It's your car, but if you want to drive like a boy racer, be prepared to pay the pit crew...
i didnt use leaded, i used unleaded. why pay for a pit crew when everything i need is here and in my garage
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

As far as the pinging, I had excessive pinging in my AT, but four things helped clear it up, and in 20k miles since I've done all this, I haven't had a single issue:

1.) Get some carb/throttle body cleaner and clean up the TB really well. Make sure you use the gas pedal to open the butterfly, and do NOT open it manually.

2.) Run Seafoam through the brake booster, and gas tank. Make sure you change your plugs immediately after Seafoaming.

3.) Grab yourself a can of CRC MAF cleaner and clean all of the contacts on the MAF.

4.) Make sure you use specifically 93 octane.

Ever since I've done these, I've had zero issues with pinging.