5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I buy a new car or get my max fixed??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Should I buy a new car or get my max fixed??

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with 125K miles. I’m on the fence if I should get my current car fixed, or buy a new one. I have about another 8 months of payments left on it. My monthly car payment is $235. In the beginning it was great and few/no issues. But now I need to plow some serious money into it and I’m not sure if it’s worth it anymore.

A few of the detracting items:

-Front driver side axle needs replacement. The whole care vibrates and very loud when driving. Est $500 repair.
-Rear bumper damaged and needs replacement. I also accidentally backed into a light post, so right behind the gas tank door is an obvious and deep scrape/indentation on the frame. Est $600 repair.
-New muffler needed. Est $350
-New Tires. I may be able to get through the winter with my current 4 tires. But in the spring I will need to buy 4 new ties. $600-700.
-Bad driver side window motor. Takes 30 seconds for the window to screechingly roll down. Embarrassing. Not high on list to pay to get fixed.
-Center console (arm rest) has detached. Not willing to pay $250 Nissan dealership to have fixed.
-Driver seat motor dead. Cannot adjust the back rest forward/backward. About $200 to fix. Probably won’t get it fixed.
-Bose audio system not sounding so great as it use to.
-General scratches/dings around the car from city parking/driving.

The big pluses to my car:

-Acceleration handling still like when it was new. Amazing.
-Not a new car loan. Would be cheaper if no big issues (=big repair bills) came up in the future.

Kelly Blue Book lists my car in ‘fair’ condition as $3600 in private party sale. Though if I hope of selling it in a private party sale I will need to spend the minimum $1500 before anyone would consider it. The title is not clean with 3 accidents since I’ve had it. KBB suggests $2300 for trade in value in fair condition.

Several folks suggest to just get a new car. If I do, I’d like to get a used car that is between 3-5 years old with a $15k budget. NOT interested in getting another maxima. On the other hand if I just spend $1500 or so in the next few weeks then I should fix the main issues with my car. BOTOH, I’ve already plowed so much in it over the last few years and it has been a money pit. In general, fiances are tight. But is getting a new car cheaper than dealing with my Maxima?

A few pics:

Last edited by zoutv; 12-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

get a book, some tools, and hand cleaner and do it yourself. these cars are easy to work on and you can save so much money. plus all the info you need to do all those repairs are on the org. Plus i hate seeing someone give up on their max.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Do the axle and buy new tires-safety items. Drive it with the body damage. If you've beat it up like that in 3 years, what will your "new car" look like in 3 years. And you'll still be making payments on the new one.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM

you have payments on that thing?

and i dont see you getting KBB on a car thats beat up like that. get a newer car
Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Your estimates are very high. Like someone else said, buy a shop manual, some tools, and do it yourself. There may be an org.er near you willing to help.

I like AutoParts123.com. Free Shipping orders > $50.

You can get a new painted bumper cover for $300 on ebay.

Last edited by RLW001; 12-08-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM

honestly man you are not looking at major problems except for your axle which is probably the only major issue because you could seriously harm other mechanical suspension components..second I would say is the tires depending on how warn they are but I think you would be fine as long as your not doing some serious cornering BUT if they are bad/worn then yes that is also another problem...the muffler part idk why you may need a new muffler or what the problem is(rust?) but really these 3 issues could be pretty easily done on your own with the fsm and tools as stated by bsuttle95. The org is a huge help all the info is already here for you but if you have time constraints(work etc..) then understood why you would wana bring it to a mechanic(NOT THE DEALER PLZ!). Basically everything else you named is just comestic and convienence..if it really bothers you how it looks then fix up the bumper.. but if your looking to save money then its no biggie same goes for the center console thingy lol and the driver side seat motor and passenger window reg is convience so its honestly up to you what you can and cannot deal with for everyday driving..just shop around online for good quality discount parts and find a reliable mechanic thats willing to help out try feeding em some emotion bout your rough financial times ( i know i always do lol)..but yeah to answer your question in MY opinion your max seems pretty sick and clean from what you provided so i would say keep it and use the org to your advantage. goodluck
Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 PM

oops lol i didnt see the rest of the posts after bsuttle idk y but yah i also forgot to mention those are pretty high estimates
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM

You're also forgetting tax/tag/title costs of a new car + higher insurance.

These are the hidden costs of buying a newer car, and should be carefully considered before just buying something else.

ONLY YOU can determine what YOUR best course is -- but like others have said, the issues with your max (other than the accidents) really aren't deal-breakers, and are mostly cosmetic - well, sort of.

You have a good job?
Promotion or raises in the future?!
The news I'm seeing on TV is saying the recession is going to be worse than expected and last another 5 years.

it's a good time to be frugal.

gr
Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Do the axle and buy new tires-safety items. Drive it with the body damage. If you've beat it up like that in 3 years, what will your "new car" look like in 3 years. And you'll still be making payments on the new one.
This. Re-manned axles are cheap.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM

1. find a local junkyard or shop here for used parts.
2. find a local org person that can do the work for cheap.
3. prioritize the repairs.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Sell it as is, get out of your payments and step up to a 3.5 6spd
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Hey zout, I agree with what the previous posters stated. A newer car seems like a great idea, but think about the 5 year node of $350.00 a month. Plus if you finance it you will need full coverage insurance.(as per bank) Not trying to be mean but I don't think you will get that much for your car to put down after your $1900 payoff. You can find the parts and have someone install them for you. Yeah it stinks when it seems like you are constantly putting cash into the car for repairs but don't set yourself up to be in a 5 year commitment. It is always easier to fix a car up when it is paid off.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Car payments suck.

Where do you live?

If you are near me I would be more than happy to help. The window motor and seat motor can be had from a parts car for cheap, same as the center console. Axle is easy with the tools I have.

The only thing you need to sink serious money into is the body and tires. Everything else is gravy and easy. If youre near I can help do the axle, both motors, and the center console. Just bring the beer I hate to see someone unhappy with their max. I used to be unhappy with my I30 but I love it more and more every day, despite its problems.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Well if I am doin the math right, you pay right under 3000 a year in payments. If you just took half that in a savings/per month, as a repair fund/car payment. I doubt that you well need this amount of repairs(per yr). Thats a lot less then all the extra cost that goes with a new car! And yes, your est. at the top are OUTRAGEOUS!!Where did you get that kind of est.. Had to be the stealership. Get a second op on the repairs, forget about the body damage and drive your maxima hard, like its ment to be driven. Their is not a better car in its class IMO.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Fix the axle and buy used tires when the time comes that they need to be replaced. Those are really the only major issues requiring attention for your car to run and drive smoothly. Everything else looks to be mostly cosmetic.

Do some junkyard hunting for the parts you need. Browse the classifieds here for part-out threads as well. You're way over-estimating the cost of everything you need fixed. $250 to fix a broken center armrest? Come on now. With a little work and parts shopping you can probably get just about everything taken care of for right around $500.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM

I live in Boston MA. Bad for two reasons: Winter tires that I'm not so sure about and high, HIGH labor rates at garages. Most places charge $85 per hour. And honestly I'm about as mechanically inclined as a box of milk. Which is to say, uhhh not at all.

At least for the front end work, the local place I have confidence in is charging me a lot, but it doesn't seem like they are out and out rapping me? The part for front axel cost about $150 and then about 3hrs of labor.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Well 150 for the axle isnt bad, considering what brand it is. $85 and hour isnt that bad either, my shop charges 75 and dealers are around 100. Labor should only be about 2 hours at most... Seriously dude, do the job yourself or find a fellow org'er nearby to help. Being able to do easy jobs like that evary now and then will save you ALOT of money over the course of your life. The right tools make any job easy.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok not to be rude but from what i reading and lookin at ya car u dont seem to be a enthusiast .... some of the things i see on that list is call Modding , for 350 bucks u can get some type of cat back , and if ur bose if dying ripe that stuff up and upgrade ur system as far as shoes(ur wheels) can always get g35 wheels z wheels etc and just put allseason tires on them. far as the seat and center console cats on the org. is always partin out the car.... now as far as the outa part of the car it seem like u need to be more careful if ur crashin into things cause even if u get a another car u gota worry about not bangin into stuff . 8 more months with no car payment just keep ya car IMO i can go on bro ... its up to u GL with whaever u do
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by zoutv
I live in Boston MA. Bad for two reasons: Winter tires that I'm not so sure about and high, HIGH labor rates at garages. Most places charge $85 per hour. And honestly I'm about as mechanically inclined as a box of milk. Which is to say, uhhh not at all.

At least for the front end work, the local place I have confidence in is charging me a lot, but it doesn't seem like they are out and out rapping me? The part for front axel cost about $150 and then about 3hrs of labor.
If you're from Boston that's probably very good for your situation. Go over to the regional groups and find the Northeastern US one. There's a lot of guys in there from that area who really know what they're doing with their cars. Almost all of them have 5th gens like you. Maybe post up a thread in there saying you need some help with all of these things.

I'm sure those guys will be more than happy to help you out and you'll save a ton of money on labor costs and etc as well.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Sell it as is, get out of your payments and step up to a 3.5 6spd
Why? So he can back it into a pole?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by spock
Looking at your ride scared fort your new one cause Damn the max has some problems but you beat it the f33k up!!! GOOD LUCK ON A NEW RIDE!!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 AM

sell for a max, any max