5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

couple questions i need answerd...moog...ssim.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM

couple questions i need answerd...moog...ssim.....

i need some questions answerd lol hopw you can help

1. anyone ever try moog sway bar bushings for our car? where i work i did them on a toyota and oh man the moog replacements where so tuff and strong and thinnking better their energy suspension and i might use them for my max with moog tie rod ends and stabalizer links

2. i have a extra intake manifold upper and lower and was going to do the ssim with a port and polish but was thinking is it even worth it? alot of people say its not worth it if i dont extend my rev limiter(which im never going to) i dont wanna waste my time if its worthless

3. is it true you cant use a lightweight flywheel and a lightweight crank pulley together or youll **** **** up? i got a flywheel sittin in mygarage and im aboutto order the pulley that im reading to install but im getting mixxed comment about it
Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude

1. anyone ever try moog sway bar bushings for our car? where i work i did them on a toyota and oh man the moog replacements where so tuff and strong and thinnking better their energy suspension and i might use them for my max with moog tie rod ends and stabalizer links

2. i have a extra intake manifold upper and lower and was going to do the ssim with a port and polish but was thinking is it even worth it? alot of people say its not worth it if i dont extend my rev limiter(which im never going to) i dont wanna waste my time if its worthless

3. is it true you cant use a lightweight flywheel and a lightweight crank pulley together or youll **** **** up? i got a flywheel sittin in mygarage and im aboutto order the pulley that im reading to install but im getting mixxed comment about it

Reading this gave me a headache.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM

I have used moog replacement parts for all cars i have owned (68 camaro, 79 malibu, 98 Monte carlo, current Max ) And i think they are top notch. My father is a mechanic and uses only those for replacement susp. parts. I have the stabalizer links in the max from them, i should look into the bushings as well... maybe come spring.

I did the SSIM with my only mani and did the port and polish. If you have and extra one i would do it. If you dont like it switch to your original. PErsonally i like mine. Mine pulls like a raped ape up top.

No idea
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM

is it true you cant use a lightweight flywheel and a lightweight crank pulley together or youll **** **** up?
I wonder what the asterisks are? Can't quite make out the question.

You know, I can't imagine why having a lightweight crank pulley would be disadvantageous when coupled with a lightweight flywheel. The added gains in efficiency for the Crank Pulley are a tiny fraction of what you get with a lightweight flywheel.

But that's only my interpretation from reading... don't have a lightened flywheel (yet). Got the crank pulley though, and meh.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Considering the crank pulley and flywheel aren't even directly related, I don't see how it would screw anything up...
Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I wonder what the asterisks are? Can't quite make out the question.

You know, I can't imagine why having a lightweight crank pulley would be disadvantageous when coupled with a lightweight flywheel. The added gains in efficiency for the Crank Pulley are a tiny fraction of what you get with a lightweight flywheel.

But that's only my interpretation from reading... don't have a lightened flywheel (yet). Got the crank pulley though, and meh.
crank pulley aint rele worth it? lol

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Considering the crank pulley and flywheel aren't even directly related, I don't see how it would screw anything up...
Originally Posted by jeff5347
thats what i thought but alot say you cant and alot say you can lol
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jeff5347

thanks for the info...most likely im going to use moog for sway bar bushings to...im a mechanic where i work and alot of people use moog and i kno about their stuff for our cars but neveer heard about the sway bushings used on ours and im going to give them a shot..

and about the intake mani im probably going to just do it but to just keep switching it if i dont like it will be a ***** because of the intake spacers lol
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM

maxima_dude, I think whether you use ES or MOOG bushings for your FSB, the real value is in replacing your 9-year-old rubber with something new. As to which one, or even OEM... it probably doesn't matter, as long as it's new.

Replacement FSB frame-bushings is an inexpensive and nice maintenance task. It will make your steering feel much better, with less play, and therefore more responsive. Of course, it's all a matter of perception and how much value you place on the differences you feel (or don't feel, depending.)
Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 AM

^^ since my car has 55k on it i always thought stuff wuldnt be going bad or anything...i was wrong lmao ...my sway bar bushings ar ebeat up and tie rod ends need replacing...but im getting all moog for that when the time comes(when i install my coilovers in spring) but for now ima just buy it all and keep it aside when im ready... as for the ssim im just going to do it lol and the pulley im not even going to get lol
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
From a rotating mass standpoint, I don't see how they could be any more related.