5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Helicoil for stripped threads in Fidanza Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Helicoil for stripped threads in Fidanza Flywheel?

I'll stop polluting the 5th gen forum with my questions after this thread, promise.

Anyway, the threads on one of the pressure plate mounting holes is stripped and, I'm concerned that Ultrarev (the retailer) will not allow me to exchange it for another.

Considering how soft aluminum is, I'm betting that I am not the first one to have this issue. Has anyone here run into this problem? Do you think a Helicoil is a viable fix?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Helicoils and Time-serts were mentioned in this thread. I think I will just go with a time-sert. I just need to know what the thread size is? Anyone know? I don't have a thread gauge handy.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Toolie

I would go with Keenserts. They have 4 locking mechanisms on them and are made for aluminum. They are super strong and way better than helicoils.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM

I'll check those inserts out. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM
STFU n00b!

any of the above will work on the aluminum. just be sure to use them on the bolt directly across from it as well to make sure the balance stays the same. 7000rpm on that sucker- even with 1 gram of imbalance that far out- isn't a good thing.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Play with my balls

I believe there are mounting point that you will need on the flywheel to make it balanced. I actually went to a parts store and got a better grade bolt that was about 1/2" longer and it grabbed the flywheel perfectly since it's actually threaded deeper then what your original flywheel bolts allow. I had to replace 3 total to balance it out. I could have gone the helicoil option as well, and I would have had it placed in all the bolt holes if that was the case. It works fine as it sits now, so I stuck with it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
any of the above will work on the aluminum. just be sure to use them on the bolt directly across from it as well to make sure the balance stays the same. 7000rpm on that sucker- even with 1 gram of imbalance that far out- isn't a good thing.
Definitely.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I believe there are mounting point that you will need on the flywheel to make it balanced. I actually went to a parts store and got a better grade bolt that was about 1/2" longer and it grabbed the flywheel perfectly since it's actually threaded deeper then what your original flywheel bolts allow. I had to replace 3 total to balance it out. I could have gone the helicoil option as well, and I would have had it placed in all the bolt holes if that was the case. It works fine as it sits now, so I stuck with it.
I don't quite follow what you are saying here. Could you rephrase?

I think I might just have the flywheel balanced after I put the inserts in. This is getting far more expensive than I though. meh....
Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Does anyone in the NJ area know of a good place to get the flywheel balanced?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Whitebread
I don't quite follow what you are saying here. Could you rephrase?

I think I might just have the flywheel balanced after I put the inserts in. This is getting far more expensive than I though. meh....
The flywheel bolts that you would normally use are a certain length (don't remember exact size). However, the bolt hole on the flywheel is actually threaded longer then those bolts. I measured it using a digital caliper. I went to a parts store and picked up 3 bolts that were half an inch longer, and it grabbed and finally locked in. I also used a lock washer on each as well. You can try this method if you didn't want to go with the helicoil. I used 3 bolts to corner balance the rotation. You can see where each bolt needs to go to make sure they are equally spaced and in the respective locations. Let me know if that helps.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks Deckout2. I understand. Considering we are talking about damaged Aluminum threads, I'd feel far more comfortable with a steel insert. As such, the Time-serts are on order. I should get them tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't botch up the install.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Whitebread
Thanks Deckout2. I understand. Considering we are talking about damaged Aluminum threads, I'd feel far more comfortable with a steel insert. As such, the Time-serts are on order. I should get them tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't botch up the install.
Don't overlook the reaction steel and aluminum have on each other. Corrosion is no fun.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Don't overlook the reaction steel and aluminum have on each other. Corrosion is no fun.
I was thinking about that. I would imagine that it would only be a problem at the interface between the insert and the aluminum. The pressure plate does, of course, touch the flywheel but, the surface area to size/weight ratio just isn't large enough to give me a problem when I have to take everything off again. Those inserts, on the other hand, will not be going anywhere.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Kevlo for President

Steel and alu expand differently as well...