5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HIDextra blubs causing flickering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 PM

HIDextra blubs causing flickering problem?

For those of you with 6k low beam blubs from HIDextra, have you had problems with flickering or intermittently working headlights?

I just installed a new blub from HIDextra and, the bulb will only stay lit for about 4 seconds after the headlights are turned on. Turning off the headlights for a few seconds and then turning them on again repeats the process. The lights flicker occasionally.

I'm wondering if the bulb or the ballast is to blame. The bulb is new, of course but, the ballast is OEM. Could I be having problems because I used a cheap alternative to the OEM blubs? Or, do I need to get a new ballast?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

I'd contact HIDextra...they'll probably replace them without issue.

I have a set of the 5000ks running off of my OEM ballasts...no issues whatsoever. They flickered a little the first time I started them up, but they've been fine since. It sounds to me like there's a bulb issue.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I'd contact HIDextra...they'll probably replace them without issue.

I have a set of the 5000ks running off of my OEM ballasts...no issues whatsoever. They flickered a little the first time I started them up, but they've been fine since. It sounds to me like there's a bulb issue.
From first hand experience just return them and do not order any more. I went through 4 replacement bulbs from them before I finally decided all they had was trash. I was without a working headlight for over a month because they were absolutely sure that their product was good. I got advice from another org member to buy a set of phillips 4300k off of ebay for like 85 bucks shipped. Was quick, easy and no flickering at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Forgot to mention one thing, if you let them they'll keep sending you bulbs over and over and over again. Makes you wonder how they can afford to keep replacing them without any question.

EDIT: Here is my review thread for HIDExtra
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ra-review.html

Here is the set of Phillips bulbs that I bought on ebay which are still working without a single problem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2960wt_1002

Last edited by kiyakerz; 12-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM

kiyakerz:

I'm surprised you had that many issues.

I have an entire HID conversion kit from them on my Z, as well as their D2S bulbs in my Maxima, and haven't had a single issue. The kit they sent actually works better than the kit I paid $75 for two years ago on eBay.

You may have just had a stretch of bad luck...it happens. Sometimes a batch of bad bulbs/other product type are released, and it just so happens to make its way into the market.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
kiyakerz:

I'm surprised you had that many issues.

I have an entire HID conversion kit from them on my Z, as well as their D2S bulbs in my Maxima, and haven't had a single issue. The kit they sent actually works better than the kit I paid $75 for two years ago on eBay.

You may have just had a stretch of bad luck...it happens. Sometimes a batch of bad bulbs/other product type are released, and it just so happens to make its way into the market.
Could be, but it was very disturbing to see someone else on these forums have the exact same problem. I would have liked it if their product worked since their prices were so good, but unfortunately that wasn't the case for me
Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM

I have the 8k from there haven't had any problem with mine they have been great going almost a year heard there customer service is good and wont try to give you the run around...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
You embarrass me.

I'd actually doubt it's the bulb causing it, especially two. If the bulbs are D2R/S then they should power on fine and stay solid. I've used at least 3-4 different types of bulbs, and never had any issues. It is possible they could be a bad batch, but my money is on the ballast.

Not trying to plug anything, but I do have a pair of OEM ballasts + an ignitor just in case you need them.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Last week, when ordering the new bulbs, I put the working passenger side bulb in the driver side nonworking headlight to rule out the ballast. It worked as it should. So, I'm not confident that the ballast is the issue here.

Anyway, I examined the bulbs I got and it looks like they are actually D2S/C bulbs, not D2R. I called HIDextra and the lady said that she shipped me D2C bulbs on the assumption that they are interchangeable with D2R. The D2C bulbs I got do not have the metal strip that the OEM D2R bulbs have and, they obviously do not work. I had to argue with her to get her to pay for return shipping. Given their propensity to just ship whatever they think works, I'm tempted to just have her take the return, forget HIDextra and pay the 100+ for a replacement OEM bulb from the local vatozone. What do you guys think?

Edit, I haven't actually tested the second bulb they sent. Given that they are D2C bulbs, should I even bother to see if the second bulb will work?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM

i would go oem or very similar, sometimes aftermarket items are more of a nuisance than upgrade
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM

The bulbs are very similar to OEM, it's not an upgrade. I just don't want HIDextra to send me another D2C bulb that doesn't work.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Whitebread
Last week, when ordering the new bulbs, I put the working passenger side bulb in the driver side nonworking headlight to rule out the ballast. It worked as it should. So, I'm not confident that the ballast is the issue here.

Anyway, I examined the bulbs I got and it looks like they are actually D2S/C bulbs, not D2R. I called HIDextra and the lady said that she shipped me D2C bulbs on the assumption that they are interchangeable with D2R. The D2C bulbs I got do not have the metal strip that the OEM D2R bulbs have and, they obviously do not work. I had to argue with her to get her to pay for return shipping. Given their propensity to just ship whatever they think works, I'm tempted to just have her take the return, forget HIDextra and pay the 100+ for a replacement OEM bulb from the local vatozone. What do you guys think?

Edit, I haven't actually tested the second bulb they sent. Given that they are D2C bulbs, should I even bother to see if the second bulb will work?
Get your money back and go the ebay route I posted above, I promise you won't be disappointed. (85 for two bulbs vs 100 per bulb at autozone)
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

You could also try other companies. I believe there's another sponsor on the org that does HID kits.

Or you could try The Retrofit Source.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Yeah, I think I'm just going to return the bulbs and get those 80 dollar eBay bulbs.