5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima Berk Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM

2002 Maxima Berk Intake

hey guys,

I finally made up my mind with which intake to purchase. I have decided to go with the SRI from Berk Technology.

I was wondering if anyone here as one for sale or if they know where can i get one cheaper than the berk website which is $250.

I found this other link which has it for $170 but was wondering if anyone knew where i might be able to get it for cheaper, the only down fall to this is that they dont have a picture of it so I would have to contact them to see if they can send me a picture to make sure its not a Berk replica.
Heres the link:http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

Thks in advance
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrfxho
hey guys,

I finally made up my mind with which intake to purchase. I have decided to go with the SRI from Berk Technology.

I was wondering if anyone here as one for sale or if they know where can i get one cheaper than the berk website which is $250.

I found this other link which has it for $170 but was wondering if anyone knew where i might be able to get it for cheaper, the only down fall to this is that they dont have a picture of it so I would have to contact them to see if they can send me a picture to make sure its not a Berk replica.
Heres the link:http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

Thks in advance
Or you could just get a JWT Pop-Charger and only pay $100. Then you keep the stock Helmholtz resonator, which gives a more even power curve and keeps it from being too noisy (but it still sounds awesome ). Oh, and the JWT unit comes with an aluminum velocity stack. If you opt for the Apexi version of the Berk intake, you get a built-in velocity stack, but have to pay ~$70 to replace just the filter. The Berk w/ AEM filter is cheaper and replacement filters are only ~$45-$50, but I'm pretty certain that setup doesn't include a velocity stack (which is really the most important part of the intake).

If you really want the midpipe, I'd suggest the following: Get a JWT Pop-Charger, and contact Knight_yyz. He usually sells various midpipes at good prices. This way, you'll have the JWT velocity stack and a midpipe for roughly $150 (if my assumption about Knight's midpipe prices is correct). Buuut, if you're really set on the Berk intake, just make sure you get the Apexi one, or buy a velocity stack to go with the AEM one. Like I said, that's the most important part.

Pardon my rambling
Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

I kind of like the WEAPON-R - Secret Weapon Air Intake System it has a real nice design to it and it sounded real good when i had it on the 4th gen .
It's what i most likely will be using with their Ram Air Kit on the 03.
In less something else catches my eye
Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Toolie

or you could buy one of my pipes for 70 shipped and buy your own goodies to save some cash.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
or you could buy one of my pipes for 70 shipped and buy your own goodies to save some cash.
Do this, OP. The only thing that's "custom" about the Berk is the mid-pipe. Everything else is just auto-store parts.

Naturally, there's a lot of "that was easy" in buying a complete kit, but you're asking about how to get there inexpensively. Well here it is: buy a mid-pipe from knight_yyz, and put together your own SRI.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Do this, OP. The only thing that's "custom" about the Berk is the mid-pipe. Everything else is just auto-store parts.

Naturally, there's a lot of "that was easy" in buying a complete kit, but you're asking about how to get there inexpensively. Well here it is: buy a mid-pipe from knight_yyz, and put together your own SRI.
Lots of good info in this thread. I've been casually looking into getting a short-ram intake for a while now and I think I may end up going with this setup.

Just a quick question, is any modification to the MAF necessary or advisable when installing a short-ram intake? Maybe a bigger housing? Just kind of wondering.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM

No mod necessary for the MAF housing. If you go with a larger diameter, you'll have to be tuned to match.

See this picture here... the mid-pipe is the same as Berk, same as knight_yyz's custom pipe. (It's an old Frankencar mid-pipe, btw.) Anyway, that's the only thing you need. Everything else you can cobble together from the auto-store.

From the throttle-body, outward:

• Coupler with 2 clamps
  • Mid-pipe
  • Coupler with 2 clamps
  • MAF Housing with a hanging bracket
  • Adapter plate
  • Coupler with 2 clamps
  • Adapter plate
  • Pop-charger (in this case, Apex-i)

While it's easy enough to just say "get some parts", it could be more of a PITA than you think. Which is where the value comes into play by buying the full kit from Berk. The value in the other approach is a lower overall cost and greater self-satisfaction. (The latter can be overrated. Depends on the person and the situation, I suppose.)

Lastly, without the OEM resonator in the mix (like this here), it can be really, really loud at WOT. Seriously, the first time you take off, it will freak you out a little. But at normal speeds and idle, you're totally stealth. Personally, I like the sound.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-02-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM

what ever happened to the old pipe, maf, filter intakes ive had on all my cars. $50 was way too much for a no name pipe and filter. for these cars its 150? haha bump that
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by shdwonthsun
what ever happened to the old pipe, maf, filter intakes ive had on all my cars. $50 was way too much for a no name pipe and filter. for these cars its 150? haha bump that
$150 is a steal, before you start adding stainless steel t-bolt clamps, titanium bolts and an Apex-i pop-charger.

Um... you may want to pass on the titanium. That fracks with your budget, shdwonthsun.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
$150 is a steal, before you start adding stainless steel t-bolt clamps, titanium bolts and an Apex-i pop-charger.

i just dont understand how 150 dollars is a 'steal' for a $10 length of pipe, $1.69 hose clamps and a $18 autozone filter. ***granted you dont need a cali sticker***

and is a pop charger the same as a cone filter?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

I think it's worth mentioning (again) that whatever setup is chosen, the most important factor is going to be whether or not there's a velocity stack. This makes more of a difference than filter type and presence/absence of the Helmholtz resonator. If you're piecing together your own intake, get a $32 Blox velocity stack on eBay.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

What the hell. You guys pay $150+ for a friggin pop-charger/cone-filter intake??
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 PM

i just dont understand how 150 dollars is a 'steal' for a $10 length of pipe, $1.69 hose clamps and a $18 autozone filter. ***granted you dont need a cali sticker***

and is a pop charger the same as a cone filter?
No a Popcharger is a bellmouth w/a 6" cone filter not your normal 3" cone filter......I'm using a Vibrant bellmouth w/a AEM 6" cone filter, here's mine:

Here's a filter comparison of the 3" vs the 6"
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM

so add $10 for the cone inside the filter and call it a day since the rest of the system is 3". i mean the big filter looks cool and all, but not $150 worth of cool
Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM

so add $10 for the cone inside the filter and call it a day since the rest of the system is 3". i mean the big filter looks cool and all, but not $150 worth of cool
My system totaled cost me about $100 as pictured above! The JWT popcharger was on sale @ cattman.com for $109.99 in December....
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Toolie

The larger filter is worth about 45, the aluminum velocity stack is about the same.

Ya you can get fugly gear clamps for a few bucks a piece, or you can get stainless t- bolt clamps which look really nice for about 15 a pair, give or take.

I can do 215 Shipped and you get a midpipe, 2 silicone couplers, 4 t-bolt clamps, an AEM dryflow filter, the aluminum MAF adapter.
And yes I know you guys can do better by going to autozone and picking up the pieces and customizing the way you want, like a velocity stack, or K&N filter or a cheap ebay filter. Whatever floats your boat. So I usually just sell the pipe and you guys save a few bucks.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM

but what do you guys think abt this?.....
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

it says its a berk SRI as well but for only $170 instead of $250
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

Here it is:
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...de=BERK-INTAKE
No pic, so what! P/n is more important! This is the K&N filter setup only!

Here's the Apex'i setup:
Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM

but what do you guys think abt this?.....
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

it says its a berk SRI as well but for only $170 instead of $250
It doesn't appear to be complete as it makes no mention of the adapter plate or couplers or T clamps, the one listed below it is very much like the setup you see in Rochester's car using the Apexi Filter ... well at least it lists all the components used, I am making an assumption that it will include the couplers and clamps, as you can see it goes for 206.00 (pretty sure that is because of the upgrade in filter selection)

The setup made up by knight_yyz for basically the same monies in my mind will give you an upgrade in the quality of the mid pipe, I currently run with one of knights_yyz SRI and the quality is second to no one fantastic workmanship.

This was the first setup made by knight_yyz which came with 2 couplers and clamps the berk knock off mid pipe and the MAF adapter plate along with the standard size AEM dry flow filter

This is the current setup which I have gone to a shorter mid pipe (also made by knight_yyz) and added the third coupler, BPI velocity stack and the over sized 6" AEM dry filter

Last edited by Ghost_54; 01-02-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 AM

I luv my berk with Apexi filter
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 AM

The Apex-i pop-charger has the velocity stack design built into the neck of the filter.

Knight_yyz, I didn't realize you had pieced together a full kit to accompany your mid-pipe. That's pretty cool.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Toolie

It's not cost effective for me to sell to the states. I have to buy the products and pay tax on them and pass that along to you guys. So I figured I'd just sell the pipes, and you can buy the goodies and pay much lower tax than me. A few guys have bought the full kit, some guys have gone with the full velocity stack kit which is expensive, but some people like the convenience of not having to run around to buy the parts.
Right now the best setup is to buy the JWT pop charger from cattman and turn it into a hybrid with my mini midpipe. Still less than 200 bucks.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM

im lookin to piece together something for like $70-80
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM

does anyone know if this set up comes with the power Apexi filter from berk or just the standard Apexi??

heres the link http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Cod e=BT1202-AP... it looks like the power filter but not sure. its the same pic as well from the berk website.

so you guys that are running berk intakes pls help

Last edited by mrfxho; 01-03-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM

If you don't mind keeping the helmholtz in place (that's what I did), then get a $7 MAF adaptor on eBay, an AEM dryflow filter (~$45), and a Blox Velocity stack ($32). That's about the cheapest you're gonna get without getting a cheaper filter. Oh, and you'll need one coupler too...

Blox Velocity Stack:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLOX-...s#ht_500wt_956
MAF Adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...#ht_500wt_1182

Or just pony up for a JWT Pop-Charger. I love mine. Here's the cheapest I've found it (only $100 shipped). This is where I got mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JWT-J...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by jowo9; 01-03-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
If you don't mind keeping the helmholtz in place (that's what I did), then get a $7 MAF adaptor on eBay, an AEM dryflow filter (~$45), and a Blox Velocity stack ($32). That's about the cheapest you're gonna get without getting a cheaper filter. Oh, and you'll need one coupler too...

Blox Velocity Stack:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLOX-...s#ht_500wt_956
MAF Adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...#ht_500wt_1182

Or just pony up for a JWT Pop-Charger. I love mine. Here's the cheapest I've found it (only $100 shipped). This is where I got mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JWT-J...Q5fAccessories

thanks for the link. i guess 100 isnt bad for a shipped kit.

my one gripe is that this "velocity stack" seems to mimic the exact shape and function of this $15 filter:

what about a tornado?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM

does anyone know if this set up comes with the power Apexi filter from berk or just the standard Apexi??

heres the link http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Cod e=BT1202-AP... it looks like the power filter but not sure. its the same pic as well from the berk website.

so you guys that are running berk intakes pls help
Nvm. I was reading wrong. Just ordered it and should be here in 4-5 days.can't wait, I'm so excited lol
Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM

i would sell my berk intake for 170.. just saying
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

thanks for the link. i guess 100 isnt bad for a shipped kit.

my one gripe is that this "velocity stack" seems to mimic the exact shape and function of this $15 filter:

what about a tornado?
That 3" does have a puny radius but in no way is it comparable to that unrestrictive 6" filter inlet or bellmouth! Allows you to increase your intake charge velocity/volume without being restrictive!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Toolie

this is 6 inches across and works much better than something with a 3" inlet
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM

the bellmouth terminates to what appears to be 3"!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM

the bellmouth terminates to what appears to be 3"!
Of course it does . It's not like you can have a 6" MAF housing! The bellmouth (velocity stack) just provides a smoother, less turbulent transition that has been dyno proven on many different cars to generate better gains than any other filter-related changes.

Research it if you're skeptical. You'll find dyno charts in several different forums.

Last edited by jowo9; 01-03-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Of course it does . It's not like you can have a 6" MAF housing! The bellmouth (velocity stack) just provides a smoother, less turbulent transition that has been dyno proven on many different cars to generate better gains than any other filter-related changes.

Research it if you're skeptical. You'll find dyno charts in several different forums.

i understand what it's designed to do. im simply saying the "bellmouth" in the filter i circled in red also seems to smoothly transition from a ~5.5" filter to the 3" inlet. the concept just appears to be about as genuine (gimmick) as the tornado
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

GAB and a K&N drop in filter, shouldn't cost more than around $40 for the filter and drilling the holes in the filter holder is free.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
GAB and a K&N drop in filter, shouldn't cost more than around $40 for the filter and drilling the holes in the filter holder is free.

true true. but that still leaves resonators intact. the point of an intake (under like 400whp) for me is sound. nice and quiet when you're driving, comes alive when you open the throttle... stepper

GAB sure is nice a cheap tho!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

i understand what it's designed to do. im simply saying the "bellmouth" in the filter i circled in red also seems to smoothly transition from a ~5.5" filter to the 3" inlet. the concept just appears to be about as genuine (gimmick) as the tornado
Really??? Turbine engines utilize this same concept to smoothen the airflow and allow it to accelerate without any tubulence and reducing chance of compressor stalls.....I use it for the same reason to allow the air to accelerate faster into the intake system increasing the aircharge into the combustion chamber increasing my torque/hp and throttle response thru out the powerband....Acceleration is smoother with no flat spots....
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
i would sell my berk intake for 170.. just saying
dammm... wish you would have said something before. paid $215 with shipping and all. would have bought it off of you in a heart beat
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM

i mean the big filter looks cool and all, but not $150 worth of cool
the concept just appears to be about as genuine (gimmick) as the tornado
the point of an intake (under like 400whp) for me is sound.
Shocker, but this guy is jerking all of you around in every direction at once, long after the OP got his answers and was done.

/thread
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Really??? Turbine engines utilize this same concept to smoothen the airflow and allow it to accelerate without any tubulence and reducing chance of compressor stalls.....I use it for the same reason to allow the air to accelerate faster into the intake system increasing the aircharge into the combustion chamber increasing my torque/hp and throttle response thru out the powerband....Acceleration is smoother with no flat spots....
air charge?

haha wow that is a really bad analogy. you're the right track but to compare a jet engine to a short ram automobile intake filter is a nearly useless argument. its all just simple fluid dynamics
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM

dammm... wish you would have said something before. paid $215 with shipping and all. would have bought it off of you in a heart beat
see if you can cancel your order lol but mine has been used by me for over 2 years and i got it used from someone else (so your deal isn't so bad)

Quick Reply: 2002 Maxima Berk Intake