5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BC Racing Coilovers Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

LOL check this out:

Quote Pulled NEX describing Twin-tube coilovers they have:
Twin-tube shock absorber - Whether being touring, rally or even formula 1 racing, most engineers of these professional race teams, would prefer using a twin tube shock absorber as a foundation for their suspension system. The is due to the fact that the twin tube shock absorber can cool off faster from the direct contact with the outside air. This in turn will aid in the prevention of shock cavitations (boiling of the shock oil at high temperature) which allows the suspension to perform better under aggressive driving.

Quote pulled from NEX description of A mono-tube coilover it makes:
Mono-tube shock absorber - Whether being touring, rally or even formula 1 racing, most engineers of these professional race teams, would prefer using a mono tube shock absorber as a foundation for their suspension system. The is due to the fact that the mono tube shock absorber can cool off faster from the direct contact with the outside air. This in turn will aid in the prevention of shock cavitations (boiling of the shock oil at high temperature) which allows the suspension to perform better under aggressive driving.

I believe, the ORIGINAL Quote Pulled from TEIN site:
Mono Tube Shock Absorber -
Whether being touring, rally or even Formula 1 racing, most engineers of these professional race teams would prefer using a mono tube shock absorber as a foundation of their suspension system. This is due to the fact that a mono tube shock absorber can cool off faster from the direct contact with the outside air. This in turn will aid in the prevention of shock cavitation (boiling of the shock oil at high temperatures). which allows the suspension to perform better under aggressive driving.

Sound fishy???

I also have read they have about a 2 year life span.
Snapped shocks, poor ride, etc, etc.

Not for me, I think I'd buy Ksports or D2's long before these. And I would never buy Ksports or D2's.

-Matt

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM

^^^ Wow. Yeah, that's not very enticing
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Sound fishy???
Sounds lazy.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Sounds lazy.
The part that is most of note is that they use the same reasoning why Twin-tube is better as why Mono tube is better.

The point wasn't that they copied and pasted it, it was that they also changed the statements to suit the application, just to sound 'good' to potential buyers, with no acutal facts supporting, just slick wording (that was copied from Tein).

For anyone who doesn't know, Mono-tube is the one that dissipates heat best. That is why it's most commonly found on race applications. So their main PRO -Twin Tube statement is false right off the get-go.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 AM

LOL check this out:

Quote Pulled NEX describing Twin-tube coilovers they have:
Twin-tube shock absorber - Whether being touring, rally or even formula 1 racing, most engineers of these professional race teams, would prefer using a twin tube shock absorber as a foundation for their suspension system. The is due to the fact that the twin tube shock absorber can cool off faster from the direct contact with the outside air. This in turn will aid in the prevention of shock cavitations (boiling of the shock oil at high temperature) which allows the suspension to perform better under aggressive driving.

Quote pulled from NEX description of A mono-tube coilover it makes:
Mono-tube shock absorber - Whether being touring, rally or even formula 1 racing, most engineers of these professional race teams, would prefer using a mono tube shock absorber as a foundation for their suspension system. The is due to the fact that the mono tube shock absorber can cool off faster from the direct contact with the outside air. This in turn will aid in the prevention of shock cavitations (boiling of the shock oil at high temperature) which allows the suspension to perform better under aggressive driving.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Im getting ready to jump on the BC c/o GD as well. I wonder if the pillowball mounts are noisy like Ive read all pillowballs are. Anyone one have noises with pillowballs? anyone have noises with the rubber mounts?

Hmmm. I wonder, can we get both and try switching them out?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM

just got mine, havent installed yet... still to cold. will post picks when i hit 15 posts, lol
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM

found a vendor will to sell 899 shipped...Hmmmmm
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM

^all this time i thought you had coilovers lol
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
found a vendor will to sell 899 shipped...Hmmmmm
If ur talking about jm auto, u better hurry, 2 days ago I thunk he had 1 set left.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

nope, last i looked he wanted 1k shipped as he didnt get the right number of people.

Originally Posted by 01SilverMaxima
If ur talking about jm auto, u better hurry, 2 days ago I thunk he had 1 set left.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM

I just bought a set saturday for 900 shipped.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had these coilovers for a year and a half now. I have to say, they are awesome. I was worried that it would be harsh, but its the opposite. I have it set to 7 in the front and 10 in the back. My friend used to have ksports in his 5th gen and can vouch that they are nothing like them. I'd say they feel like a G35 type of suspension, refined and what this car should of had for an SE model. Get them guys, its worth it
Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 AM

i'm going to try those dampening settings...i've been trying to find the perfect medium.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM

how do you adjust/know how to adjust the camber/caster settings up top? anyone know?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
how do you adjust/know how to adjust the camber/caster settings up top? anyone know?
Shouldn't be Caster adjustable, only camber.

Most of them are 4 bolts/set screws on the plate, then you should be able to literally pull the top of the coilover in/out as necessary, or you can try using the tire/pry bar under the tire.

Of course, the weight should be off the wheel.

I haven't done one though, a Google search should return proper procedure, they're all pretty much the same.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

ive read up on it on Google just a few seconds ago...there is an alignment 'ruler'/tool thats available to do the adjusting yourself to make sure the camber is correct. so basically..wheni get it aligned, i need to make sure the shop knows how to adjust/mess w/ coilovers. i think i've found a shop that does, so ill be ok.

oh and as far as preload setting...i found this BETTER explanation (IMO) w/o pics though, but i know exactly what i need to do, that can help you set your preload

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/4996585-post9.html
Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 AM

^^ that link says to use an impact on the top nut. I just got mine, and the instructions are hard to follow at times english wise, but it does say not to use impact. Thoughts?
Thinking about putting mine on today!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Don't use an impact gun for the top nut. You can tighten the top nut with a torque wrench to the proper amount-- and this can literally be the last step, even after the wheels are installed.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Yeah Impact gun is a no-no on that nut.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Does anyone know the torque spec for the top nut on the br type coilovers?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Wut was the final verdict on some sort of anti seize on the threads?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IM GETTIN SUN D2 COILS ANT OPINIONS ON THEN VERS THE OTHER AND KSPORTS?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM

Wanted to add that I had to switch thetop mounting plates on front from left to right and vice versa.
This install was a lot harder than I expected. I am mechanically inclined. The rears...oh the positions I had to get in. oh and anyone have problems loosening the bottom ring for ride height? I CAN'T break the front bottoms loose for the life of me!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Really? ^ I have never done struts or anything on a car before, and I just swapped out my left rear in about 45 minutes in the dark..., I'm installing Tein SS too, which means I had to swap out the upper mount from the OEM strut and install it on the Tein Coilover.

As for breaking them loose, try turning the top one up (toward the spring) first, that will releive the tension from the lower ring.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Really? ^ I have never done struts or anything on a car before, and I just swapped out my left rear in about 45 minutes in the dark..., I'm installing Tein SS too, which means I had to swap out the upper mount from the OEM strut and install it on the Tein Coilover.

As for breaking them loose, try turning the top one up (toward the spring) first, that will releive the tension from the lower ring.
Exactly. I was hoping/thinking they were accessible like fronts. Not blocked by the stupid bracing. Didnt take stereo system out. blah, blah my list can keep going, lol. Just wasn't that easy, got u-joints to make it easier tho. Harbor freight huge sale FTW. Glad someone had an easier time.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got my BC BR coilovers, can't wait to get them installed, probably in two weeks. Never had coilovers before, just wondering if there is any other parts I need, the coilovers should be a complete suspension, so I would not need new upper mounts for the front and rear right?

My car was already lowered when I bought it, I just want another half inch drop. The instructions are also a little confusing on adjusting ride height, are the springs set at stock height or is it already lowered if I install it without adjusting the height? And turning the screw one full turn changes the height by how much? Thanks, sorry if some of these questions are noobish.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by CPBOYZ
IM GETTIN SUN D2 COILS ANT OPINIONS ON THEN VERS THE OTHER AND KSPORTS?
what??????? i tried reading this and with the caps lock on and your wonderful grammar its like a retarded kid yelling with peanut butter in his mouth.........
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nismoSEXIMA
what??????? i tried reading this and with the caps lock on and your wonderful grammar its like a retarded kid yelling with peanut butter in his mouth.........
lol my bad i said im gettin sum d2 coil overs how are they ves the ksport coils....which is better made n ride better
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM

lol my bad i said im gettin sum d2 coil overs how are they ves the ksport coils....which is better made n ride better
um im pretty sure there made by the same company....i have d2's and i love them...but ive heard good things about k-sports as well....
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 AM

OMG!!!!!!!!!! he's finally typing with no caps, congrats LOLOL

i think D2s have a slight edge on Ksports, but as was mentioned, they are made by the same company...if your goal is to go low, stick w/ D2s...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Just for the record, after extremely extensive research, I (OP on this thread) have finally ordered myself a set of BC Racing coilovers. IMO they are the best value for the money (I got them for $899 shipped - because of a favorable Canada-US exchange rate), and I've only heard good things. I was originally going to get Teins with some new strut mounts, but I couldn't justify the extra ~$400 on a 10-year-old car. While better handling/ride is my main motivation for purchasing coilovers, I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit that I really like the greater range of height adjustability of the BCs over the Teins. Anyway, I'll be sure to post my pics/impressions on this thread when I get them installed.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Just installed my BC coilovers a few weeks ago, you'll love them. There is another thread lingering around about an install. Hopefully they send you a set with the right camber plate positions. I've speaking to a representative of BC and they said problem was being fixed.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
Just installed my BC coilovers a few weeks ago, you'll love them. There is another thread lingering around about an install. Hopefully they send you a set with the right camber plate positions. I've speaking to a representative of BC and they said problem was being fixed.
So what happens if it doesn't have the right camber plate positions? Did yours? I know a few people on the org have installed BC coilovers recently and seemed happy with them... I just ordered them today from jmautoracing, so I hope they'll have the right camber plates, etc...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
So what happens if it doesn't have the right camber plate positions? Did yours? I know a few people on the org have installed BC coilovers recently and seemed happy with them... I just ordered them today from jmautoracing, so I hope they'll have the right camber plates, etc...
Check ya PM
Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM

well it's really no big deal if they aren't. you just have to remove the 4 allen screws on the top each and swap. piece of cake.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. so if they're wrong, it'll just not be perpendicular to the wheel direction? (what I mean is... How can you tell if they're wrong. Sorry - noobish question)

EDIT::: oh, sorry, just saw the link in your PM.

Last edited by jowo9; 05-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Hey one more quick question... are you supposed to change the spring preload at all from what it is shipped? I can't seem to find any conclusive answers regarding this.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 PM

i think they suggest the 5mm preload once youre installing the coilovers regardless...at least thats whats ive been reading so far...regardless of how they are coming from the factory im still going to do this...i ordered my set this week and should receive them by the weekend so i guess ill see if they are as good as everyone says they are
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 PM

I have had my bc's since march of 2010 and I still love them. No problems and they ride good. It's awesome to be able to lower and raise, and soften and stiffen the suspension as necessary.

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilovers Discussion