5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BC Racing Coilovers Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Murdadremedy
i think they suggest the 5mm preload once youre installing the coilovers regardless...at least thats whats ive been reading so far...regardless of how they are coming from the factory im still going to do this...i ordered my set this week and should receive them by the weekend so i guess ill see if they are as good as everyone says they are
What do you mean "they suggest"? Like it's in the instructions? Or is that just hearsay?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 AM

the more preload you set, the lower the car will go also the harsher the ride is...set it to 0 and you'll be fine

Originally Posted by jowo9
So what happens if it doesn't have the right camber plate positions? Did yours? I know a few people on the org have installed BC coilovers recently and seemed happy with them... I just ordered them today from jmautoracing, so I hope they'll have the right camber plates, etc...
essential just installed his...if they are not as shown in that thread, just swap the coilover...right to the left and vice versa. obviously no need to take off the camber plate. just make sure that the holes/slots are parallel w/ the headlights
Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 AM

Watch out tho, if u just swap the coilover, the mounting points for the brake line and something else won't line up
Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 AM

on most strut setups they dont anyway...ziptie that **** up
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 AM

^^ yea true that, I just like to keep the ghetto to a minimum. Lol
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 AM

lol when you buy the supposedly best struts (illuminas) and you have to use zipties all of a sudden you just dont care lol. when i put on my coilovers i pulled out the zipties, my mechanic/stepfather said, 'you dont need those, wheres teh brake line clip' lolol. too use to using zipties
Old 05-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Suspension Yoda

Hi guys,

Just wanted to address the camber plate positions that a few individuals have experienced.

I've installed about 10 sets of brand new BC coilovers over the past 5-6 months. EVERY ONE of them had 'incorrect camber plates.' The L/R sticker underneath was placed on the wrong side.

What I've actually been doing is swapping the LOWER mounting bracket, not the camber plate. Just unscrew them all the way down the threads and swap.

It's just as effective as camber plate, and it makes no difference if you decide to swap the bracket or the camber plate, simply an alternative for you to know about.

This issue does seem to be widespread and I am glad that BC is doing something about it.

Funny thing is...same thing is happening on the 7-8 Megan's I've installed too....
Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 AM

^sounds like alot of work compared to just throwing the R on the L and the L on the R lol...ill just swap sides
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Suspension Yoda

Time-wise, it's about the same, makes no difference. Just a preference thing I suppose. I also made the post to make light of the fact that it's definitely a recurring issue.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Id like to add that my passenger front coil is stuck completely from adjustment. Ive tried everything except torching it. I had a mechanic try to loosen it and he couldnt. Do you guys know what the rebuild entails? Can I send it in for repair?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM

you never greased your coils? thats wierd you're in florida w/ a seized coilover...try PB blaster ride around for a day, then hit it again w/ PB blaster and see if you can get it loose
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
you never greased your coils? thats wierd you're in florida w/ a seized coilover...try PB blaster ride around for a day, then hit it again w/ PB blaster and see if you can get it loose
I've already tried PB overnight then hammer. I can get all 3 of the rings to move, but its moving the whole collar thats seized. I have never greased them.

I'd suggest everyone greases and puts anti-seize on theres. I've had mines on for over 1 1/2 years. So combined with the person before me, its about 2 years of use.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 AM

really glad this thread exists. I'm in the same situation as the OP and am interested to get his feedback. If the BCs really are as adjustable as people are making them out to be(Upstate NY Winters), they definitely have me over the Teins. It'd be pretty risky to attempt driving around in 6+ inches of snow when the highest the Teins'll go are 1.5in(f) and .8(r) lower than stock. How are the BCs are as far as max height is concerned?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
Id like to add that my passenger front coil is stuck completely from adjustment. Ive tried everything except torching it. I had a mechanic try to loosen it and he couldnt. Do you guys know what the rebuild entails? Can I send it in for repair?
I used a mixture of PB and Mobil 1 synthetic grease, threaded up and down without a problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM

i use a wire brush to knock off all the dirt in the threads before i start to do ANYTHING, then i always use white lithium grease to lube mine up...unlock them..move the collars all teh way up and all the way down, then reset them at the height i want..maybe more work to get my height, i just hope this will mean in teh future i wont have to worry about them locking up
Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Looks like i missed the part about lubing...goes to show how much it helps.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 AM

just from hearing people talk about theirs seizing up, it was more of a 'i hope this prevents mine from seizing' type of moves
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM

looks like my ride height isnt changing anytime soon. Time for some new cv axles.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah, when I get mine I'll be sure to put anti-seize on the entire threaded region and grease the pillow ball joint etc.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by seastone14
really glad this thread exists. I'm in the same situation as the OP and am interested to get his feedback. If the BCs really are as adjustable as people are making them out to be(Upstate NY Winters), they definitely have me over the Teins. It'd be pretty risky to attempt driving around in 6+ inches of snow when the highest the Teins'll go are 1.5in(f) and .8(r) lower than stock. How are the BCs are as far as max height is concerned?
Wouldn't worry about it too much. I have plenty of customers (from NNJ) that come to me and run a 1.6-1.8 drop in the winter and then dump it to 1.3-1.4 for the summer.

You're local. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 PM

Initial Impressions/Pics

Alright, so I got my BC Racing coilovers installed last night and I wanted to share my first impressions and some initial pictures.

Install wasn't bad at all. The part that takes by far the longest is trying to get all 4 wheels to sit at the right height (when you adjust one, it messes up other ones). Anyway, as of now, the car is sitting pretty close to 25" ground to fender on all 4 wheels (with all my tools/jacks in the back). I'll probably try to fine tune it a bit over the next few days, but for now it's not bad.

Handling... Well, it's amazing! Coming from an almost 10-year-old stock suspension, there was obviously a huge difference. I have the dampening set to 14 front, 15 rear (from soft), and so far that's my favorite setting. To use the common expression, it handles like it's on rails.

One thing that surprised me is that even with an all around 25" height, I haven't bottomed out at all yet. The coilovers keep each wheel nice and stiff, and even going through deep intersection dips, I haven't had any problems. I was a bit worried about being this low, but it seems to be working out just fine.

Here are some initial pics... Pardon my dirty car, it's been raining and muddy here for the last 5 days.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Congrats! I have mine @ 13 Setting, 25" front and 25.50" Rear. Had to raise the rear .50" do to scraping.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM

So I've been driving on my BC Racing coilovers for 4 days now and I noticed an unexpected and very positive effect... they make my car feel a lot quicker! I wonder if that's just because of less power loss due to decreased suspension movement during acceleration? Whatever the reason, I love it.

Anyway, I got my ride height fine-tuned where I like it. The ground to fender measurements are just under 25 on the front and just over 25 on the rear. I tried just over 24 1/2 on the front, but it rubbed to much when turning, so I raised it 1/4". Also, the car has a natural body rake when the front and rear fender gaps are the same, so I didn't want to overdo that. I've been surprised at how drivable my car is just about everywhere. I don't bottom out on dips/speedbumps, and I don't have a problem pulling into driveways. I like that I can ride this low and still maintain full drivability.

Here are some more quick pics of the final stance:

Front close-up

Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 AM

if they r installed wrong, they will look like this:

Dont ask how i know... lol
Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Suspension Yoda

Lol - nice!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM

LIRL @ biscuits...jowo...looks great man...i think i'm at 24" on the front and 24 3/8s in the back...on 18s...i rub..but oh well i like the look and i scrape...but oh well i like the look LOL.

SO WHAT IMA RICER!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM

So the consensus has been that BC Racing coilovers are a pretty solid product? Seems like it so far. I can see that people love the adjustability, haha.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
So the consensus has been that BC Racing coilovers are a pretty solid product? Seems like it so far. I can see that people love the adjustability, haha.
I'm pretty happy with the ride as well I must say. I like it a bit stiffer, so I set it on 14F, 15R, but if you soften it out a few clicks it becomes very comfortable. My settings aren't back-breaking, but they're not for your grandma's buick. So yes, my consensus is: great ride, great adjustability.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jowo9
I'm pretty happy with the ride as well I must say. I like it a bit stiffer, so I set it on 14F, 15R, but if you soften it out a few clicks it becomes very comfortable. My settings aren't back-breaking, but they're not for your grandma's buick. So yes, my consensus is: great ride, great adjustability.
Thanks, I'd also be curious to know what long term durability is like, maintenance, etc. I do know that from NASIOC, evolutionm.net, my350z, G35driver, and many other sites, the BC Racing set ups get great reviews on average.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Thanks, I'd also be curious to know what long term durability is like, maintenance, etc. I do know that from NASIOC, evolutionm.net, my350z, G35driver, and many other sites, the BC Racing set ups get great reviews on average.
Yeah, it's true. I read probably every BC review on each of those forums. With the exception of one review, they were all VERY positive. The only one that wasn't was from someone who had a coilover snap in half. (could have been for any number of reasons/or just a freak accident, who knows) I just figure that any product that consistently gets the kind of reviews these do across so many forums must be good.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Everyone seems to be on the BC bandwagon. Think I might have to get a set.....my Boss Chen's are dying a slow death.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 AM

^yea man its definitely great for the money...my mom and wife really have nothing bad to say about the ride...only bad thing is im so low i have issues w/ clearance and my axles sound like choppas about to land lol. other than that, the ride is phenominal..has me so damn spoiled that im near breaking bank to get a set for my beater...and i said i'm only allowing 1500 to spend on it lol go figure
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

coilovers Vs. Lowering springs?

Hey Guys,
I was wondering what would be better ground control coilovers that go on stock struts or lowering springs?
I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE and i just bought 18 inch rims with low pro tires on them and there is way too much wheel well left...so here are the things that i am looking for.
I have snow tires that have a massive amount of tread on them on the stock maxima rims so i do not want to rub in the winter.
i live in upstate NY so there is sand and salt out the ***.
i want to have a smooth ride.
i do not want my tires to wear unevenly.
i don't want to blow a strut because i am using a part of the strut that has not been used that much.
i do not want my front tires tucked to the point where i have to take turns like a tractor tailor.(the point of lowering a car is for better handling)
please let me know what is best for me.Thank you.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 AM

i dont have experience w/ GC coils but i know enough to not put them on stock struts...w/ your question..lowering springs
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by GNUboardin
Hey Guys,
I was wondering what would be better ground control coilovers that go on stock struts or lowering springs?
I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE and i just bought 18 inch rims with low pro tires on them and there is way too much wheel well left...so here are the things that i am looking for.
I have snow tires that have a massive amount of tread on them on the stock maxima rims so i do not want to rub in the winter.
i live in upstate NY so there is sand and salt out the ***.
i want to have a smooth ride.
i do not want my tires to wear unevenly.
i don't want to blow a strut because i am using a part of the strut that has not been used that much.
i do not want my front tires tucked to the point where i have to take turns like a tractor tailor.(the point of lowering a car is for better handling)
please let me know what is best for me.Thank you.
My recommendation for you is H&R springs on KYB GR-2 struts. Nice moderate drop that will reduce wheel gap, but not too low such that driving in snow will be an issue, and certainly not tucked tires. Camber is still manageable so no uneven wear. VERY comfortable ride yet still gives you some nice performance.

My second recommendation is for you to come to me to have the installation done. Not sure how far upstate you are, but if the trek is manageable, the cost savings and guarantee it's done properly is worth it.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:12 AM

just a 2" drop reference for GNU on a set of G35 18s i had w/ 245/40/18s (springs were DropZone)

Name:  DSC_0015-3.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0039-2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  45.2 KB

the drop was ok, but i wasnt happy, i wanted to go lower so i eventually went w/ coilovers and slammed it
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

djfrestyl
Where can i get the KYB GR-2? And where are you located?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

Amazon, group deal section here, www.justsuspension.com, eBay, etc.

I'm in Central NJ (08816)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM

i run bc coilovers on my s14, witch has full suspension, minus flca, and rlca. i bought them for 900$ from importimage, looked in to getting fa 500, stances, and tein coils and for the price bc's offered more adjusting options, and i knew a few friends who had basic teins and where dissipointed for 1-1.2k they did not have adjustible upperpiller mounts ive probly put 1k on my 240 after the install and couldent be more happer with the set up im sure once i put a lot more miles on them i will have a better responce but even with the basic bc coils you have 32 way adjustments, and there fully rebuidable at about 100$ a peice so even if i only get 50-80k miles ill be happy with spending 400$ for the rebuild/ witch is about the same as oe struts
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

^ Holy crap. Please use proper punctuation.

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilovers Discussion