5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Crank pulley?? Your help requested.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Crank pulley?? Your help requested.

Long story short, power steering belt is rubbing on the crank pulley. Thought it was not aligned correctly...took it off, belt looks fine outside of a bit frayed on the side from the crank. Tried to reinstall and the belt is still rubbing on the crank. Is this indicative of a bad crank pulley?? Car has 210,XXX so I wouldn't be surprised.

Wanted to double check this, before I start removing the crank pulley.

wanted to add, there also appears to be oil leaking around the crank.

edit: I should note there appears to be no wobble at all to the pulley itself.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM

For those playing at home, thought I'd pass along that I just sheared the end off my craftsman breaker bar trying to get the Crank Pulley nut loose by using the quick start of the car method.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM

You should take some pics of the oil, that could be indicative of a more serious problem.

I just replaced my crank pulley/harmonic balancer because it had fallen off the hub it rotates on causing the PS and alternator belt to shred to bits. I tried the hard start method by putting the bar against the ground-this scared the **** out of me, it actually lifted the entire car up. What i ended up doing is taking a breaker bar, putting it up against the control arm and then putting a jack to support the breaker bar so there was no "slack". it took two quick jumps and she was off.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for replying, but Please...oh please don't say things like, " could be indicative of a more serious problem". This car doesn't need more problems.

I got a couple things to retry the quick start method...and this time I plan on using the jack as you mentioned to take out the slack. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna drive it 1/2 block around the corner and have the local mechanic there replace this pulley for me. If I have the parts and seal, I can't imagine it takes the guy anytime to put it on.

I'll take pics and post them. From what I can tell, it would appear to be a bad crank seal....but I'm also leaking power steering fluid from the PS hose...looks like at the base of the reservoir. So keep that in mind.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Well, the quick start method finally worked. After going to sears to replace my flex handle, I decided to use my craftsman ratchet which I was afraid to bust for some reason. Took 4 tries I believe...but finally she busted. I electric impacted the crap out of that bolt....and no dice....so anyone who might read this and doubt the quick start method...don't.

As soon as the crank pulley was off I could tell it was the culprit. Pics link added to show. New vs. old.

http://img233.imageshack.us/g/dscn0219g.jpg/

Thanks to jtm02011 for responding. I search the crap out of the forums before I post, but I'm sure these questions get tedious to those who visit here all the time. Again, thanks to jtm02011

Last edited by Superduck; 03-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM

WTF??? Why is this pulley a 2-piece thing? I have the _exact_ same issue with mine, and, looking at your pictures, I now understand... they intended for this type of failure. Anybody know why?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Walter

I have a 2000 Max., that the harmonic balancer went bad, had it replaced, and now the service engine light is on, codes say coils, not specific ones, mechanic could not find bad coils, checked magnetic timing device was o-k. My mechanic is ordering new coils, the ones in car are already grey dot ones. Dooes anyone know if this is the solution or if there is anything else to check for? Check eng. light did not come on before harmonic balancer went bad...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was under the impression that our cars' crank pulleys do not have a harmonic balancer, except in the sense that the pulley cant be all out of whack.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well it's the pulley with the rubber, which had dissintegrated..., outer rim belt part that has timing marks on engine side on it,I was told this pulley with rubber is harmonic ballancer
Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im almost positive that our crank pulley does not act as a harmonic balancer.

THIS is a crank pulley w/ harmonic balancer:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how...balancer-works

and THIS is a Maxima crank pulley:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/235982657.jpg

notice how it is skeletonized metal in the middle? No vibration dampening going on here.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by rantyb
I have a 2000 Max., that the harmonic balancer went bad, had it replaced, and now the service engine light is on, codes say coils, not specific ones, mechanic could not find bad coils, checked magnetic timing device was o-k. My mechanic is ordering new coils, the ones in car are already grey dot ones. Dooes anyone know if this is the solution or if there is anything else to check for? Check eng. light did not come on before harmonic balancer went bad...
Cheaper to get a front and a rear cool. Exchange with current coils one at a time until code goes away. I had same issue and it was only one coil.