5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Would someone clarify to my about ECU update ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Would someone clarify to my about ECU update ?

Hi
I was wondering : does any Maxima 5.5 gen ECU can be updated to the latest ECU software (the sofwatre in the ECU of the very last Maxima 2003 made) or not ? and what the factors that determine this ? VIN ? or what ?

I was thinking that it's like a PC hardware in which you can always have an updated software(driver).....
thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

If it's running ok, why screw with it? No way to know unless you have a consult II and check the software version.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hi
I was wondering : does any Maxima 5.5 gen ECU can be updated to the latest ECU software (the sofwatre in the ECU of the very last Maxima 2003 made) or not ? and what the factors that determine this ? VIN ? or what ?

I was thinking that it's like a PC hardware in which you can always have an updated software(driver).....
thanks
I assume that would be dictated by the hardware revision of the ECU. It would make sense that in such a case as they had two or more versions of the ECU that would determine compatibility with a particular firmware. If they only used 1 ECU revision the whole time then it would make sense that it could be flashed.

That said, I agree with NmexMAX. Cars are not computers, the software in the ECU besides being monumentally simpler compared to that which is written for a computer is also thoroughly more tested before release.

In the case of a computer a bad driver causes the piece of hardware it ties to to not function. Presumably all Maximas function from the factory so the precludes the possibility of a faulty firmware. In the event there were one it would no doubt result in a recall as that would probably mean the car was running way out of fuel spec at points. Which is the last point, I think that is mostly what the ECU controls is fuel timing, again presumably, that is not something Nissan tinkers with too much from firmware to firmware if they even revise their firmware regularly.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM

for why ... whats your reasoning if you dont mind me asking???
nvmd i was reading... i still kinda dont get why though but ill just excuse myself from the thread
Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
for why ... whats your reasoning if you dont mind me asking???
nvmd i was reading... i still kinda dont get why though but ill just excuse myself from the thread
From a simple search here , I heard that there were an ECU update for some maxima 5.5gen with slow acceleration issue back in 2004 or 2005 I'm not very sure...And I was thinkning that probably the previous owner didn't know about this
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

That was the hesitation TSB for 6MT's.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That was the hesitation TSB for 6MT's.
No idea if it has been done for mine. I guess a Nissan dealer can run my VIN and find out.

Probably a good idea every once in a while to get a reflash anyway. Data does get corrupted.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
No idea if it has been done for mine. I guess a Nissan dealer can run my VIN and find out.

Probably a good idea every once in a while to get a reflash anyway. Data does get corrupted.
'Data' is very unlikely to get corrupted in the ECU. Unles I'm mistaken, most of the base plots are ROM. Flashing/Replotting/Upgrading would only affect EEPROM, and the dealer has to do that.
You can reset your RAM yourself.

IIRC:

ROM (Read Only Memory) holds all the fuel trim plots, and baselines for everthing, it cannot be altered, it is only read.

EEPROM(Electrically Erasable Programable Read Only Memory) Holds the 'self learning' stuff.

And then, RAM, which is erased as soon as your ECU battery dies. Stuff like engine codes, problems, anything relevant to the ongoing function of the vehicle.

Oh and Nissan won't tell you there is a TSB when they do a VIN search. They VIN search for RECALLS. It's very difficult most times to get a dealership to look up a TSB, let alone even admit there is a TSB database they can access.

Your best bet is to call NissanUSA, and get a print out from them, or the specific TSB number/information, then take it to the dealer, and if they still give you a hard time, call NissanUSA again and report it.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-18-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Oh and Nissan won't tell you there is a TSB when they do a VIN search. They VIN search for RECALLS. It's very difficult most times to get a dealership to look up a TSB, let alone even admit there is a TSB database they can access.
Even if you pay for the job ?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM

^No, if you pay, they will gladly do it. Big TSB's are usually, but not always, covered by NISSAN (not the dealer, NissanUSA). The problem is, the dealer doesn't want that hassle, and they only get paid what it costs them, they don't normally make any money off it, so they're not interested in doing it, unless the 'big head' tells them to.

There is also usually a time limit from the issuance date of the TSB that Nissan will cover the repair, so I'd expect that you'll be paying anyways. It never hurts to call NissanUSA and see if you can find out. I suggest finding the TSB online before you bother though.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Yeah, the hesitation thing is starting to annoy me. It kills the feeling of engine responsiveness and driving at speeds greater than ~3200 RPM is one heck of a lousy solution.

There's no way I could get a dealer to flash the ECM for free. What do they charge to flash it? Surely it takes five minutes or fewer, right? Five minutes in dealer time is... $80? My logic was get the reflash, then walk over to the tech and ask him to do the 17 degree timing advance while it's hooked up.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Eirik
My logic was get the reflash, then walk over to the tech and ask him to do the 17 degree timing advance while it's hooked up.
Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if just the timing advance helps reduce the hesitation. When I had my other Maxima in for servicing at my mechanics, he hooked up a scan tool and it showed my timing at idle bouncing around from 13-15 degrees. Low initial advance (although 13 degrees isn't particularly low) can cause a hesitation.

Mine is a reasonably early '02 car (09/01 build date) so I don't know if mine requires a new MAF along with the reflash.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Mine is a reasonably early '02 car (09/01 build date) so I don't know if mine requires a new MAF along with the reflash.

Mine is earlier one,July 2001....Replaced the MAF already with 2k1 MAF (with the conversion trick) , but thinking about hitting the dealer for the ECU update..But I think I will have a hard time convincing them to overlook my new MAF and only do the update ...... I don't expect them to be smart enough to manipulate things...

P.S.
Another question please : is each TSB requiring ECU flash has different version OR they will all end up with putting the latest software ?

Last edited by mahanddeem; 03-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

My assumption would be they would do the latest software update available. I'd still ask to be sure.

My first 5.5 gen was a June 01 build-91st one made!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM

My assumption would be they would do the latest software update available. I'd still ask to be sure.

My first 5.5 gen was a June 01 build-91st one made!
If you get any info regarding that Scott please inform this thread community , would be appreciated
Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by Eirik
Yeah, the hesitation thing is starting to annoy me. It kills the feeling of engine responsiveness and driving at speeds greater than ~3200 RPM is one heck of a lousy solution.

There's no way I could get a dealer to flash the ECM for free. What do they charge to flash it? Surely it takes five minutes or fewer, right? Five minutes in dealer time is... $80? My logic was get the reflash, then walk over to the tech and ask him to do the 17 degree timing advance while it's hooked up.
I had the ECU reflashed. It takes about an hour. I paid them an hours worth of work. My car still hesitates like a pig. I'll get a video of how bad it is. I think it's either O2 sensors or MAF/TB related.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I had the ECU reflashed. It takes about an hour. I paid them an hours worth of work. My car still hesitates like a pig. I'll get a video of how bad it is. I think it's either O2 sensors or MAF/TB related.
when and where did you do that ?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM

I really would like to know how the dealership interfaces with the ECU for programming and all of what is involved. I've been doing computers for a long time and I've never heard of any EPROM taking an hour or a half hour or 15 minutes even.

So my questions:
1. What interface does dealership use to access ECU? OBDII? Does the ECU get pulled and plugged into a special machine?
2. What Operating System is on that computer which interfaces with ECU? Win 7/Vis? XP? Win9x? DOS? Unix/Linux?
3. How does a Nissan dealership get their ROM files for flashing ECUs with?

'Data' is very unlikely to get corrupted in the ECU. Unles I'm mistaken, most of the base plots are ROM. Flashing/Replotting/Upgrading would only affect EEPROM, and the dealer has to do that.
You can reset your RAM yourself.

IIRC:

ROM (Read Only Memory) holds all the fuel trim plots, and baselines for everthing, it cannot be altered, it is only read.

EEPROM(Electrically Erasable Programable Read Only Memory) Holds the 'self learning' stuff.

And then, RAM, which is erased as soon as your ECU battery dies. Stuff like engine codes, problems, anything relevant to the ongoing function of the vehicle.

Your best bet is to call NissanUSA, and get a print out from them, or the specific TSB number/information, then take it to the dealer, and if they still give you a hard time, call NissanUSA again and report it.
Correct once flashed an ECU is not subject to corruption save for rare circumstances involving hardware damage (which flashing would not fix). You are probably also correct about the ECU having some sort of RAM and battery which would explain why just pulling the battery for 2 seconds won't clear the ECU but leaving it unplugged overnight will.

Last edited by ffcbairn; 03-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
I really would like to know how the dealership interfaces with the ECU for programming and all of what is involved. I've been doing computers for a long time and I've never heard of any EPROM taking an hour or a half hour or 15 minutes even.

So my questions:
1. What interface does dealership use to access ECU? OBDII? Does the ECU get pulled and plugged into a special machine?
2. What Operating System is on that computer which interfaces with ECU? Win 7/Vis? XP? Win9x? DOS? Unix/Linux?
3. How does a Nissan dealership get their ROM files for flashing ECUs with?

Correct once flashed an ECU is not subject to corruption save for rare circumstances involving hardware damage (which flashing would not fix). You are probably also correct about the ECU having some sort of RAM and battery which would explain why just pulling the battery for 2 seconds won't clear the ECU but leaving it unplugged overnight will.
The older the ECU battery is (the more times its been drained) the weaker it gets. Mine takes more than 30 hours to drain, I tried it, after 30 hours it was still live. Some guys only have to unhook for 15mins.

Anyways, Nissan uses 'CONSULT', it is their own system, and is specifically designed for their software/ECU's. You cannot interface with a Nissan ECU for programming purposes without the "CONSULT" device.

Time wise, no it takes hardly any time at all, but Nissan charges $80 average just to plug it in.

Then they charge by the hour for diagnostics, and they usually charge more for electrical diagnostics. There is also usually a minimum fee (1/2 hour or something).

Either way, you'll be hard pressed to get in/out under $120, even if it only takes them 5 mins (they'll likely make you wait so it seems like it took longer).
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Either way, you'll be hard pressed to get in/out under $120, even if it only takes them 5 mins (they'll likely make you wait so it seems like it took longer).
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

USB Nissan Consult cable

It says it can grab a ROM dump but nothing about reprogramming/flashing. I wish the ECU didn't have to actually be installed though. I would feel much more comfortable hacking an ECU if it wasn't attached to an engine it could destroy lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

An HOUR!? Yiiiiiikes, the ECU must be larger than the only EEPROM things I've messed with (namely, 4 to 64MB N64 cartridges.), or they made you sit on your hands to trick you into thinking you were paying for legitimate work.