5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Turbo Timer vs Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Turbo Timer vs Oil Cooler

I don't really know too much about turbo timers so as any enthusiast would I decided to do some "soul" searching. I know about oil coolers (self explanatory) but didn't know too much about turbo timers. This ignorance led to research, which led to knowledge, and did raise some questions that I am hoping you all can help me understand what I think is an obvious. If one were to install an oil cooler, is there really a need for a turbo timer? I'm thinking it's either one or the other. The thing is, are there any benefits of having both or just one versus the other? Your responses and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by UncleSmitty
I don't really know too much about turbo timers so as any enthusiast would I decided to do some "soul" searching. I know about oil coolers (self explanatory) but didn't know too much about turbo timers. This ignorance led to research, which led to knowledge, and did raise some questions that I am hoping you all can help me understand what I think is an obvious. If one were to install an oil cooler, is there really a need for a turbo timer? I'm thinking it's either one or the other. The thing is, are there any benefits of having both or just one versus the other? Your responses and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Do both because they have nothing to do with each other......
1. Oil coolers do just that, plus increase your oil capacity, hopefully your be running a synthetic or synthetic blend if you'll be going the Turbo route!
2. Turbotimer is a cooldown mechanism with essential for long turbo bearing life...there was a gadget back in the day that was just as cool and worked great: it was a turbo oil accumulator that held about 2 gal of oil and after shutdown it would circulate oil thru that hot bearing section for a few minutes too prevent oil coking in the bearing assy/section! The only other alternative is to do a 2 or 3 minute cooldown @ idle everytime prior to shutdown,.....that's what the Turbotimer does for you!!!! Let's say you were running late to work and kinda pushing it and jump out of your car, not to be late nor perform a 2-3 min cooldown, the turbotimer will!!!!! Cause if you don't that situation could lead to premature bearing failure so do it! It's really works!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM

If by chance you're using some sort of remote start system, chances are there's a turbo timer mode built in, you could just use that.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
If by chance you're using some sort of remote start system, chances are there's a turbo timer mode built in, you could just use that.
Thanks! I'll have to check my alarms manual to see if I have that feature because when I purchased my 2-way I didn't have the remote starter module but my manual has a section about it. Either way I think I'll opt for a turbo timer anyway because they look cool as s*** lol

Originally Posted by CMax03
Do both because they have nothing to do with each other......
1. Oil coolers do just that, plus increase your oil capacity, hopefully your be running a synthetic or synthetic blend if you'll be going the Turbo route!
2. Turbotimer is a cooldown mechanism with essential for long turbo bearing life...there was a gadget back in the day that was just as cool and worked great: it was a turbo oil accumulator that held about 2 gal of oil and after shutdown it would circulate oil thru that hot bearing section for a few minutes too prevent oil coking in the bearing assy/section! The only other alternative is to do a 2 or 3 minute cooldown @ idle everytime prior to shutdown,.....that's what the Turbotimer does for you!!!! Let's say you were running late to work and kinda pushing it and jump out of your car, not to be late nor perform a 2-3 min cooldown, the turbotimer will!!!!! Cause if you don't that situation could lead to premature bearing failure so do it! It's really works!
Wow that sounds like such a cool mod to have. I wonder if anyone is still making this gadget you speak of because that would definitely be an awesome mod! Thanks for your input too I think I will go with both mods. I figured there weren't any losses in having both but I was just thinking about overkill and if having both wasn't really necessary than why not just go with one or the other. And just as an FYI I am using fully synthetic Mobil1 and I'm going to be switching over to AMSOIL my next oil change. I hear claims that the oil changes can be done in intervals of 5,000 miles but I don't care the oil WILL be changed every 3-3,500. Those extra 1,500-2,000 miles means a mildly cleaner oil if the claims are true.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
6spd Swapped

Well my first question would be do you have a supercharger or a turbo? If not you don't need either one.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Max0224
Well my first question would be do you have a supercharger or a turbo? If not you don't need either one.
I'm N/A but I'm trying to educate myself on turbo's because I plan on going forced induction. Can't say when for sure but I want it done. Between 390hp and 450hp are good numbers for me..
Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 AM

I'm N/A but I'm trying to educate myself on turbo's because I plan on going forced induction. Can't say when for sure but I want it done. Between 390hp and 450hp are good numbers for me..
safely on a maxima?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 AM

Might want to check out this link on the turbo section of the forum.

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ead-first.html
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Try reading this good book: Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...I think itwill answer all your questions!

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-.../dp/0837601606
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Mr.A32ftw
safely on a maxima?
Not impossible. You will need to beef up your bottom end and suspension though.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
ofcourse and then switch out on all of the engine internals. The block can handle some decent boost pressure.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM

Big thanks to F35-JSF and CMax03.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 AM

Very true . You and I both know why they are so little boosted maximas. When they see the price to boost these cars most run away
Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

ofcourse and then switch out on all of the engine internals. The block can handle some decent boost pressure.
Not all of them. Rods and rod bolts mainly.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Mr.A32ftw
Very true . You and I both know why they are so little boosted maximas. When they see the price to boost these cars most run away
I know. It is not a cheap mod. What makes it expensive is the fact that all the plumbing is custom.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM

I was looking on YouTube of all places, if you just want a turbo timer for the looks it'll work on your max. Just doesn't serve much purpose. Strictly looks wise I'd probably go with gauges or an afc controller though.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Not all of them. Rods and rod bolts mainly.
Really?! Because I was thinking about getting BC Cams, CP Pistons all the way down to Darton cylinder sleeves. I read and heard that maxima internals can only handle 5 PSI of boost so all of them MUST be switched out.

Originally Posted by F35-JSF
I was looking on YouTube of all places, if you just want a turbo timer for the looks it'll work on your max. Just doesn't serve much purpose. Strictly looks wise I'd probably go with gauges or an afc controller though.
Looks wise yea they do look awesome. If I do go for a turbo I'll just have every gauge, timer, and controller put in at the same time.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
6spd Swapped

Really?! Because I was thinking about getting BC Cams, CP Pistons all the way down to Darton cylinder sleeves. I read and heard that maxima internals can only handle 5 PSI of boost so all of them MUST be switched out.

Looks wise yea they do look awesome. If I do go for a turbo I'll just have every gauge, timer, and controller put in at the same time.
I've been running 8.5lbs for two years with no problems.. For some reason I think you are thinking this stuff and it will NEVER happen. Do you know how much a built block costs? How much a turbo kit goes for? Installation on everything?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Wrong
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM

I've been running 8.5lbs for two years with no problems.. For some reason I think you are thinking this stuff and it will NEVER happen. Do you know how much a built block costs? How much a turbo kit goes for? Installation on everything?
Yes as a matter of fact I do..

In dollar amounts:

BC Cams = 950+
BC Rods = 450+
CP Pistons = 500+

I honestly do not want to continue but yes I know that it costs a ton, this is why the process will be taken slowly. The slow process is allowing me to look up information and educate myself with as much knowledge as I can get or need before going turbo. Trust me my dad had a fully built 2jz Supra MKIII and I saw the money just flow from his account into that car. Unfortunately due to a faulty wire it just went up in flames. Kids were outside with marshmallows on sticks with graham crackers and hershey's chocolate bars. I ask him questions here and there but I look stuff up for myself and to let him know that I know a thing or two.

Last edited by UncleSmitty; 04-05-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 PM

What kind of issues have you seen with your turbo? I'm also guessing that you have stock internals? I hear alot of complaints from other people that their spark plugs and coils just go to s*** once the engine sees all that power. FYI: I heard those complaints from honda and eclipse drivers..

Last edited by UncleSmitty; 04-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Definitely possible, Hasn't everyone already seen the SFR bolt-on turbo for the 5.5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34Dr0i3-SQ