5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to forum

Hello all! I am new to the forum but not to my maxima. I own a 2001 maxima 20th anniversary edition se 5 speed. I have owned it for almost 3 years. I have kept it relatively stock. Only change is my rear muffler broke off about a year ago but sounds great so never fixed it. I recently got the dreaded p1320 code. I just did spark plugs and now im looking for new coils. Most of the info ive already searched has been several years old. So im wondering if ray allen is still selling parts? I am also curious if anyone can give me the part number for the raplacement coils. I know the grey dots were discussed alot but i am not sure how old all that info is. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coils

Forgot to ask about this. I found these on ebay and i was wondering if these would work on my car well or if they won't.

Here is the link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/121673973988?nav=SEARCH
I looked on the website related to ray allen but they were roughly $90 a piece. These seem almost too good to be true but for my sake i hope they aren't.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 01black20thse
Forgot to ask about this. I found these on ebay and i was wondering if these would work on my car well or if they won't.

Here is the link: Nissan Maxima Infiniti I30 2000 2001 Ignition Coils 22448 2Y000 22448 2Y005 | eBay

I looked on the website related to ray allen but they were roughly $90 a piece. These seem almost too good to be true but for my sake i hope they aren't.
Thanks
These do look like the Hitachi "grey dot" coils. You can get them a bit cheaper - and guaranteed to be Hitachi - at Rockauto.com (6 x $34.79 + about $10-15 shipping).
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
These do look like the Hitachi "grey dot" coils. You can get them a bit cheaper - and guaranteed to be Hitachi - at Rockauto.com (6 x $34.79 + about $10-15 shipping).
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I will definitely order those within the next week.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Maxima SE, 128,000 miles

Hey all,
Got my wife a new old car to get rid of payments, and I'm going to be servicing it myself. Joined the forum b/c I've always found the best info on forums as to common problems and solutions for pretty much anything in the past. I like her Maxima, its got a surprising amount of power for the $. Not that ours will be anything special - I'm more about maintenance than modding it. Glad to be part of the forum!

Dan

Name:  IMAG0583_zpsovmrwxsv.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  251.8 KB
Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 PM

Welcome Dan! Nice to see another Sunlit Sand maxima... The SS Club.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Hi! I purchased a gray 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd yesterday. I've previously owned quite a few cars (a couple of Subarus, a couple of Toyotas, a couple 2nd gen RX-7s). I'm liking my Maxima so far. There's quite a bit I need to replace fix (it is a 14-year-old car), but I think it will do me good over the next couple of years until I can afford something newer. I've already ordered new rear pads and rotors (mine are worn out) and I'm about to get some new speakers (a few don't work).

There's a weird noise when I turn to the right, so my next project is figuring out what that is. There's a guy near me selling basically my exact same car (except it's auto) as a parts car, so I might buy that soon and strip it of everything I might need in the future, then sell the rest for scrap metal.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by doombot
Hi! I purchased a gray 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd yesterday. I've previously owned quite a few cars (a couple of Subarus, a couple of Toyotas, a couple 2nd gen RX-7s). I'm liking my Maxima so far. There's quite a bit I need to replace fix (it is a 14-year-old car), but I think it will do me good over the next couple of years until I can afford something newer. I've already ordered new rear pads and rotors (mine are worn out) and I'm about to get some new speakers (a few don't work).

There's a weird noise when I turn to the right, so my next project is figuring out what that is. There's a guy near me selling basically my exact same car (except it's auto) as a parts car, so I might buy that soon and strip it of everything I might need in the future, then sell the rest for scrap metal.
welcome to the forum
Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi. wondering if anyone here has used this headlight - Anzo Driver And Passenger Side Headlight Anzo Halo Crystal-Clear Lens; Black Interior,Composite. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Just purchased an 03 SE

I am not new to the site I have been on here since 07 I used to own a 95 gle and a 99 se lightly modded. Recently traded my 97 accord for the maxima. It is an 03 se as stated in the title its black on black. Not perfect and needs a bit of body work but it will make a good project/daily for me.

I live in Russellville, Arkansas also I am a professional photographer and also as my day job I am a Union Insulator Apprentice.

Day I brought it home.

My old 99 se
Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sort of new...

Was on here a few years back as Torqueymonster with a modded '93 SE 5 speed in dark blue... sold that and now rolling a burgundy '00 Maxima GLE at 99,000 miles (paid 2,800) and my '98 Q45... Planned mods are a y-pipe, intake spacers and rims at some point.
Attached Thumbnails Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.-00max.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New GUY!

Hello guys, I been Lurking on this forum for about 2 months. Gathering information, before brought myself another project car. Decided to buy a 2001 Maxima 20th anniversary from one of my buddies 152k miles on chassis about 85k on motor . My first FWD car, but I'm not new to Nissan I owed plenty of 240's and only had one 300zx. then Went the Miata route for a while, then life happend. Got married, had kids , brought a house and had to give everything up. But now I'm hoping to get back in the game with something new. Plans for the car, I already own MB Battles 18x9 +38 and from what i read on this forum I should be ok with fitment. I'm hoping to buy coils with in the month pretty much it for now. Nice Forum and hope to learn more. Please any suggestion, tips, ideas or what ever feel free to help me out.. been two years since i modded a car.

photo sharing websites
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I know you bought from your buddy, but before you get into all this modding do a detailed inspection of the vehicle. There may be some lurking maintenance or repair issues. There are plenty of things that start wearing out or breaking on these cars at about 150K to 200K miles. Here is a laundry list I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Radiator (clogging)
  • Transmission (I'm assuming you have an auto because it looks like GLE model). If you have manual then transmission is fine until clutch goes out (disregard).
  • Rear calipers (potential for freezing)
  • Front brake rotors (warping)
  • Suspension components...end links, LCA's, etc.
  • Motor mounts (if you have an auto, specifically look up the issue with the IACV!) You'll see why the IACV relates to motor mounts on an auto transmission.
  • Pre-cats (wear out and you'll see a P0420 or P0430 engine code)
  • O2 sensors
  • Ignition coil packs
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • MAF
  • Power Valve (you may wonder what this is...you'll notice a definite loss of power at 4K and above if this goes out)
Oh...also, download the FSM from the link below. It is an awesome resource! Good luck and happy maintenance/modding.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/

Originally Posted by TaDLaD
Hello guys, I been Lurking on this forum for about 2 months. Gathering information, before brought myself another project car. Decided to buy a 2001 Maxima 20th anniversary from one of my buddies 152k miles on chassis about 85k on motor . My first FWD car, but I'm not new to Nissan I owed plenty of 240's and only had one 300zx. then Went the Miata route for a while, then life happend. Got married, had kids , brought a house and had to give everything up. But now I'm hoping to get back in the game with something new. Plans for the car, I already own MB Battles 18x9 +38 and from what i read on this forum I should be ok with fitment. I'm hoping to buy coils with in the month pretty much it for now. Nice Forum and hope to learn more. Please any suggestion, tips, ideas or what ever feel free to help me out.. been two years since i modded a car.

photo sharing websites
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by doombot

Is the noise a clicking? Could likely be your CV joint. Can you tell which side it is coming from? If it's when you turn right, it is more likely your right CV joint (tighter angle).
Old 09-02-2015, 03:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot for that, tranny have been rebuilt, everything on that list been done expect motor mounts, I have a 5speed. Just did a whole exhaust job, the old one was toned up. Alt and starter new, yeah i know about the vias easy fix 5k and above i think. Ad thaks a lot for the FSM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I know you bought from your buddy, but before you get into all this modding do a detailed inspection of the vehicle. There may be some lurking maintenance or repair issues. There are plenty of things that start wearing out or breaking on these cars at about 150K to 200K miles. Here is a laundry list I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Radiator (clogging)
  • Transmission (I'm assuming you have an auto because it looks like GLE model). If you have manual then transmission is fine until clutch goes out (disregard).
  • Rear calipers (potential for freezing)
  • Front brake rotors (warping)
  • Suspension components...end links, LCA's, etc.
  • Motor mounts (if you have an auto, specifically look up the issue with the IACV!) You'll see why the IACV relates to motor mounts on an auto transmission.
  • Pre-cats (wear out and you'll see a P0420 or P0430 engine code)
  • O2 sensors
  • Ignition coil packs
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • MAF
  • Power Valve (you may wonder what this is...you'll notice a definite loss of power at 4K and above if this goes out)
Oh...also, download the FSM from the link below. It is an awesome resource! Good luck and happy maintenance/modding.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 into 1 first time owner

I have recently acquired 2 2003 Maxima's. The first one has the deluxe package leather interior, power everything, hell even a heated steering wheel!!! But it also has 230k+ miles and all the mechanical issues that come with high mileage but does run and drive. The body is rough in spots with rust issues and drivers side was side swiped leaving a pretty bad dent from rear quarter panel to drivers door. The second Maxima has the striped down cloth interior that got wet and is now a little moldy. It hit a deer head on going 60 mph so front clip hood and radiator is totaled but the rest of the body is as prestine as a 12 year old vehicle in Minnesota can be. The Motor runs like new and has about 100k less miles than the other. Anyways i plan on chopping, swapping and combinding body panels, doors, motors, trannys, and anything else i can find to make one 5th gen to the 2nd power. So already foundvsomevawesome info on the forum and i cant wait to get started going to do my best to take pics and post progress any and all help or knowledge will be very much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie from NYC

2000 Nissan Maxima Spiinz Edition

Old 10-15-2015, 05:13 PM

I haven't seen a riced out Max in a very long time.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rice is life. Difference is key to change.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, I recently picked up a 2001 Anniversary Edition, all black and automatic with 108k. I do plan on some modding but nothing crazy. The car already had Eibach prokit installed and some aftermarket wheels. I was able to put some 19" M45 wheels. I need to replace the axles and have the tint redone first before I do anything else.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all,

I picked up a '02 White SE 6-speed w/86k miles at the beginning of the year. Looking forward to being an active member of this forum.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 02 SE with 193k fresh off a oil change and motor mounts. Still runs great!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, new here from PA. Have a 2000 se 5spd in sunlit sand. My best friend owned it but sadly passed away. His father didn't want to sell it to just anyone so I bought it to use as a daily and keep running. Only tasteful mods that he would've liked, such as a custom 2.5" cat back with a magnaflow muffler, waiting on a cant_get_ryte intake tube currently., eventually lowered some with 350z track wheels and maybe the Mach 1 lip. I have been heavily into cars since my teens, specifically partial to lt1 Chevys, had a few Camaros and firebirds, last was a 96 impala ss with quite a few mods for power. Honestly, this maxima feels faster than my impala did, handles better, etc.

In the future I may find a beater 02-03 to just build to the hilt motor wise, sprayed 5.7 swap or turbo or something. I enjoy being different.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a 2001 at auction for $575

Hello All,

I'm new to Nissans and have only had Hondas, Toyotas, American cars and a few German ones. I saw my 2001 on an auction site while looking at a variety of cars and trucks. Put the max bid at $600 and got it for $575... not bad.

Details:

175,000 miles

Perfect maroon-ish body and tan interior

Not so perfect noises from the valve train and right rear suspension (thunk!)

Airbag light flashing

Check engine lights resulting in these codes: P0420, P0430,P0505, P0420pd and P0430pd (catalytic converter-related?)

Soooo... this is just an around town car, any cheap tips to keep her on the road with these ailments?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by CreeksideMax
Hello All,

I'm new to Nissans and have only had Hondas, Toyotas, American cars and a few German ones. I saw my 2001 on an auction site while looking at a variety of cars and trucks. Put the max bid at $600 and got it for $575... not bad.

Details:

175,000 miles

Perfect maroon-ish body and tan interior. Not so perfect noises from the valve train and right rear suspension (thunk!)

Airbag light flashing

Check engine lights resulting in these codes: P0420, P0430,P0505, P0420pd and P0430pd (catalytic converter-related?)

Soooo... this is just an around town car, any cheap tips to keep her on the road with these ailments?
Codes P0420 and P0430 indicate that the efficiency of your catalytic converter is weak. Replacing catalytic converters is expensive so I wouldn't do anything until you sort out the other issues.

Focus on P0505 first: this code indicates a problem with your IACV, and a potential problem with your ECU (it might be damaged). Read this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...1fNlF5QjQ/view and don't do any repairs until you have read it, and understand the issues at hand.

Re. the noises from the valve train and rear suspension, use the search function. It's possible your car has a problem with the chain tensioner; again, replacing the tensioner is kind of expensive but then, you got the car cheap.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Codes P0420 and P0430 indicate that the efficiency of your catalytic converter is weak. Replacing catalytic converters is expensive so I wouldn't do anything until you sort out the other issues.

Focus on P0505 first: this code indicates a problem with your IACV, and a potential problem with your ECU (it might be damaged). Read this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...1fNlF5QjQ/view and don't do any repairs until you have read it, and understand the issues at hand.

Re. the noises from the valve train and rear suspension, use the search function. It's possible your car has a problem with the chain tensioner; again, replacing the tensioner is kind of expensive but then, you got the car cheap.
Thanks, much - troubleshooting will be posted in the right places from now on.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a max

New to this site but not new to Nissan. I used to own a 93 Altima with cat back and 18 inch wheels. I loved that car. I also help two of my older cousins work on their 91 and 92 twin turbo 300s often. Now I have just purchased a 2000 Nissan max with 160,000 for 1500 and it is clean. Does have a oil leak that does not leak on the ground but thats about it. Im assuming its a valve cover leak because i smell it burn off when I start the car after it sits for a couple of days (weekend). I will be using it as a daily driver to replace my 1st post college car that was a 2001 Sable. Also have a 1986 442 Cutlass as my weekend ride. I plan on lowering the max 1 inch, getting a set of mesh style 18 inch rims prob 8 inches wide and adding a front splitter/rear spoiler. No power upgrades because I live in DC and the traffic is real bad. Trying to upload pics but its not working.....smh

91 300 ZX
https://www.facebook.com/pdatcher/me...1104841&type=3
Old 02-06-2016, 03:01 PM

I am new to Nissans but not forums. I just got a 2000 Maxima with 170k miles on it. I put on 150 miles and after discovering this forum I think it is a rear main or upper oil pan leak. I have a Haynes Manual ordered and will be getting it tomorrow and looking forward to using the manual and it helps but forums have a ton of information.

I really think I got a great car and after looking at some of the pictures of others, I am excited to get a few of the issues I have fixed. Front bumper has a hole in it, an aftermarket stereo that I do not care for, EGR code which I have already seen is a fairly easy fix.

Here is my newest project.
Name:  IMG_20160206_112928_zps1fdlxz0d.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  461.7 KB

Outstanding interior.
Name:  IMG_20160206_112953_zpszwm2xq56.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  305.8 KB

Front bumper that I will be repairing eventually. I can do body work and it just bugs me having a bruised up car. Will eventually tint the windows.
Name:  IMG_20160206_113041_zpsmeyml17a.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  472.6 KB

I think it is more of a base model Maxima but I am going to the boneyard in the near future and will be looking for a factory stereo and a broken piece of interior trim. While there I will be looking for some options my Max does not have.

My dad has a set of rims that I am going to look at and see if I like them better then what I have now. I have thought of going with black out rims or another style of rims. Will have to wait and see what they look like. Dad has been a Nissan owner for 30 plus years and just taken me a little longer to come around to them. Probably should of started sooner. Better late then never.

Last edited by 2000whitemax; 02-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Just bought my 02 maxima se with 108k miles, it came pretty well equipped $1k sound system,tien coilovers, tints, sway bars and stillen intake. I have good plans for the car both cosmetic and mechanical! I wont turbo or supercharge it but i will be doing fun stuff
Old 04-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Guy

Just purchased a 2000 GXE manual with about 142k on it about 2 weeks ago, did a scan about a week ago and there's no codes showing up but I think I hear a leak in the exhaust and I'm buying some OBX headers this week and a new catback next week hopefully and then dealing with Spark plugs and Oil before the month is out...I'll be doing some more search but I'm open to input and recommdations
Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 AM

First nissan ever

This is my 2000 vq30 5 speed maxima and im impressed these cars are special. I have never owned any car other than hondas/acuras i don't think im going back.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by tech2000
This is my 2000 vq30 5 speed maxima and im impressed these cars are special. I have never owned any car other than hondas/acuras i don't think im going back.

is that vinyl on the door trim piece? i've never seen a max like that, very unique and welcome to the org
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
is that vinyl on the door trim piece? i've never seen a max like that, very unique and welcome to the org
its actually black plasti dip. Thank you
Old 04-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone!

After a month of used car shopping, I finally managed to get myself a replacement ride. Got myself a white 2000 Maxima GXE. 170,000 miles.

Poor thing was dumped on my mechanic after previous owner didn't want it anymore. Has a ding in the rear bumper, but is otherwise blemish free. It still needs lots of TLC (interior is nasty and you can practically cut the musty air with a knife) but it had the entire power steering system replaced a month ago, and it has brand new ignition coils they got straight from Nissan.

Technically I bought it last week, but I've only been able to drive it for a couple days because the check engine light came on the day after I got it. Upon returning to the mechanic, it died in the driveway. Idle air control valve got replaced and the next day the light was back on with the computer whining about the coils being and again. But my mechanic is awesome and he fixed everything for free and I finally got it back today.

Anyways, I was dubious I would like this car at first. I was in love with my red 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage and at first I wanted to just replace the failing transmission and water pump.

And then I took the Maxima for a test drive.
Going from a 1.5L i4 with 90hp to a 3.0L V6 with 222hp....

Said farewell to my Mirage and hello to the Maxima.

So yeah. I'm hoping I can squeeze a few more years of life out of this car. I already love most everything about this car.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's up maxima forum. Here's my 5th gen i just finished rebuilding from salvage. 117k miles. Runs mint
Attached Thumbnails Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.-image.jpeg  
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey yall, im new to this thread and have hopes to learning alot of Maxima's
Old 07-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi people
Got a new to me 2000 maxima. Couple of searches brought me to threads here. So figure would go ahead and Join up.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rod bolts for Maxima 2000

Hello there, new in the house.

Bought my 2000 Nissan Maxima a couple of years ago, I'm working on the averhaul, really like the car a lot.
All I need is help with the rod bolts, I need to buy bolts, but I get the answer, on which size, it appears that there are, depending on the VIN, two sizes. how can I know which to buy, here's the VIN # JN1CA31D8YT721273, just in case.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey

I'm from Northern Europe, been a Maxima fan since I got a -97 SE, it was really loaded and I loved it. Downside was that it wasn't maintained well and the rust was killing it. So I sold it before winter and got myself a Lexus GS. Turned out it was also been handled roughly, but I changed some stuff and it was alright.

Then I thought I still want to try a newer Maxima that would be in perfect condition, so I went to Germany to pick one up. As unlucky as I am sometimes, the car is technically alright but the 15 years (2001 model) didn't do much good to the car. 1 owner born in 1926, only took it to the Nissan dealer. Engine is PERFECT on it, tranny seems to be doing good as well (although it's sometimes rough? maybe I'm too spoiled with the Lexus ). Only problems were some brake pads, but I changed them and now it seems fine.

Sitting from Lexus to Nissan is quite weird, the difference is just amazing even though it's same year (12/2000 and 2001). I personally enjoyed my old A32 more than the new one. I'll be looking for something else though, I want to try out as many luxury cars as possible!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Picked up a 5.5 gen this past weekend. I previously had a 4th gen GLE in Rosewood Pearl that I loved. She had coilovers, catless y pipe, and a few I30 goodies, but I always liked the 5th gens more.

The car is a Titanium edition with 177k on it. Loaded to the brim; high polish wheels (All 5 of them), heated steering wheel, etc. Man pedal car. It needed a few things when I bought it, but because of that I was able to talk the guy down a little bit.

After a Coolant Temp Sensor, Crankshaft POS Sensor, Bank 1 Cam POS Sensor, and a new gas cap, it was running well. Since It probably needed it, I went ahead and replaced the trans fluid, coolant, rad cap, thermostat, and did an oil change. All of the Nissan cars i've had only liked Nissan parts, so everything going on this car will be OEM.

No big plans for the car, other than lowering springs, shocks, and a few NWP manifold spacers/block off plate.

Anyway, here are a few pics that I shot with my potato phone.

Name:  1338341118.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  191.2 KB

Name:  3e25db95.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  20160724_135407_zps7d5hmmz0.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  228.6 KB

Name:  20160724_141538_zpsvp5wchr5.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  228.5 KB

Name:  20160724_141548_zpsatpwxh97.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  180.7 KB

Name:  20160724_141557_zpsqft0cdwc.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  143.3 KB

Quick Reply: Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.