5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm embarrassed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 AM

I'm embarrassed

I have no idea where my keys/remote could be. After you laugh at me could you help me with the cheapest option to replace both please.

I see a transponder key for $10 on ebay that just needs to be cut/programmed.

What about the remote? Does nissan have to program? They want $50 for that 5 second program. I looked at other threads but they were kind of old so I just wanted some kind of update.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Get Off My Lawn

1.) Ebay is a great option. I got a transponder key and a regular blank (can keep in my wallet just to get in the door if I lock my ignition key inside) for about $20-30...can't recall. But, get the number from the key being sold and verify it will work as well as call local key makers and verify they can program that key. Believe it or not, there are dozons of different key manufacturers and they may sell 2-4 different keys that will work but use a different programing machine. There was only one guy in my area that has the equipment to program my key.....he had everything and charged $30 to program....took about 15 minutes, tops. BTW, he was a moble locksmith, everything was in the back of his van. Actually, he told me he also sells keys that would work. I think even True Value Hardware told me they sell transponder keys, they can of course program the ones they sell. But, you may expect to pay more at these locations as opposed to ebay, but it makes it easier to go back to the source you purchased/programmed the key as opposed to ebay.

2.) You can absolutely get a new remote off ebay, just look at the images and quality. I think I picked one up used, looked brand new, for about $20. It came with programming instructions, took 5 minutes, and was done. I've had it about a year and need the change the battery....been very pleased!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1731wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

Those are the two parts I just purchased. I didn't think to call and make sure someone could program those. For some reason I just assumed they could. I will call now. Nissan says theys will program both for $50 if I do it at the same time and I tow the car there.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Great deal. However, keep in mind that they will charge you regardless of whether they can program the key. That's what I was told, due to it being more about their "hourly rate" rather than it being the charge for the job itself.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Well good luck to them getting me to pay before my car turns on. Thanks for the heads up and the advice. Can you get me a ride for the next 5 days too?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Sorry, LOL!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM

I skimmed this thread but you can just go to the dealer with your VIN and they'll give, well...sell you a key cut and I am sure a keyfob programmed for your car. Its probably the most expensive but easiest way
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
I skimmed this thread but you can just go to the dealer with your VIN and they'll give, well...sell you a key cut and I am sure a keyfob programmed for your car. Its probably the most expensive but easiest way
Sorry, that's not true. Nobody can sell you a key or a keyfob that is pre-programmed for your car.

In simplistic terms, both keys and keyfobs have a unique id code built into them and the car has to be programmed to accept that code.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM

I think he said to give them your VIN so they could program it. So its not pre-done. I assume if this was possible i would have to find the original dealer. That wasnt an option they gave me anyways. Plus the price i am paying for everything is cheaper than a blank key from them.

Stupid mistake but o well
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Yes you'll need to have a locksmith or dealer essentally flash your key to the car but the lock/unlock fob is easy enough:

Originally Posted by Programyourremote.com
IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard
Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder
each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press
the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming
procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side
power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
I think he said to give them your VIN so they could program it. So its not pre-done. I assume if this was possible i would have to find the original dealer. That wasnt an option they gave me anyways. Plus the price i am paying for everything is cheaper than a blank key from them.

Stupid mistake but o well
With the VIN number, they can cut the key. The key will open the doors but it will not start the car. The car has to be programmed to accept that key.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM

crapbay fobs suck bigtime....I would spend 85$ for a Nissan OEM one....
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
crapbay fobs suck bigtime....I would spend 85$ for a Nissan OEM one....
I already took the $25 chance. I cant forsee much going wrong besides battery issues. Ill keep that in mind though. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Sorry, that's not true. Nobody can sell you a key or a keyfob that is pre-programmed for your car.

In simplistic terms, both keys and keyfobs have a unique id code built into them and the car has to be programmed to accept that code.
Dont apologize to me, I have my keys.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 AM

I just bought a 2000 SE Maxima and the key fob that came with it is not factory. Would I still be able to buy another factory key fob and program it to my car, or do you think that the aftermarket system that is in there now would have disabled the factory system?

Also, on my old 96 Maxima with the factory key fob I could roll down the windows using the unlock button. Does this still work on 2000 models?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2damax
I already took the $25 chance. I cant forsee much going wrong besides battery issues. Ill keep that in mind though. Thanks.
Got mine yesterday. Buttons are a bit stiff but it works fine.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by AJCannon
I just bought a 2000 SE Maxima and the key fob that came with it is not factory. Would I still be able to buy another factory key fob and program it to my car, or do you think that the aftermarket system that is in there now would have disabled the factory system?

Also, on my old 96 Maxima with the factory key fob I could roll down the windows using the unlock button. Does this still work on 2000 models?
Depending on the aftermarket security system they usually are linked to or disable the factory system. As for window roll down It seems that feature was forgotten about on the 2K, 2K1 max.