5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VQ35 NWP Spacers Temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's a fair idea. And the perfect application for one of those Cory Xavier BOP's.

I think you just volunteered yourself, FastRedFox91BodyStangCT.

Perfect. I am willing to buy the gauge, put in the wrench work of installing/removing the spacers if Cory is willing to provide the car. I think he has the spacers. He also lives in CT. Actually, great idea. I would be happy to provide you guys with the test results, be it working towards my philosophy or yours/NWP. Furthermore, NWP can use those test results free of charge. Sound fair?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
The guy has enough integrity to admit mistake, and you're going to get an attitude? It's really difficult to see a new member come in here and immediately throw down the gauntlet. I'm not sure if that's what you meant to do, but it might be a good idea to take a breath and get some perspective.
Yeah, props to him for doing that. My post was made prior to him admitting his mistake.

Did not throw any gauntlet, just asked how much power was accredited to runner length due to temp drop. I was immediately met with fanboys without any real test data behind their claims. Do not forget, their claims were temp, not runner length/volume. NWP makes a hell of a product, hell, the dyno tests speak for themselves, it's kind of foolish not to step in and correct members by saying that not only it provides temp drops, but power increase to runner length. That way it shows potential buyers TWO benefits of buying it, instead of one. Ill say it again, I fully intend of buying NWP's product.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red91StangCT
Figured I would quote before you edited this. Remember what I said when i called you gullible???
Sounds like you're catching on.

The guy has enough integrity to admit mistake, and you're going to get an attitude? It's really difficult to see a new member come in here and immediately throw down the gauntlet. I'm not sure if that's what you meant to do, but it might be a good idea to take a breath and get some perspective.
This. Most definitely this. However, like I just said, I think the noob is getting in the groove now... such as it is.

Perfect. I am willing to buy the gauge, put in the wrench work of installing/removing the spacers if Cory is willing to provide the car. I think he has the spacers. He also lives in CT. Actually, great idea. I would be happy to provide you guys with the test results, be it working towards my philosophy or yours/NWP. Furthermore, NWP can use those test results free of charge. Sound fair?
More than fair. AFAIK, no one has ever done that... stuck a thermistor on the inside of a BOP to take measurements with/without spacers.

That sounds like a fun afternoon. A little geeky, sure, but that's why we're here.

Go for it!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

FTR, it was my bad I didn't choose the correct originator.

It was my bad, 91Red has good car knowledge, it's evident in his posts, and he doesn't have multiple accounts unlike some people on here that carry their own covnos with themselves. Again, my bad. Geeeezzz
Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Yeah, props to him for doing that. My post was made prior to him admitting his mistake...
Yeah, that happens often. It's made me have to edit things in the past, too.

...Did not throw any gauntlet, just asked how much power was accredited to runner length due to temp drop. I was immediately met with fanboys without any real test data behind their claims. Do not forget, their claims were temp, not runner length/volume. NWP makes a hell of a product, hell, the dyno tests speak for themselves, it's kind of foolish not to step in and correct members by saying that not only it provides temp drops, but power increase to runner length. That way it shows potential buyers TWO benefits of buying it, instead of one. Ill say it again, I fully intend of buying NWP's product.
I'm not exactly sure what you want in the way of 'real test data.' Would you mind clarifying what you're seeking? Maybe you could just jot down a few equations to give us a basis for your temperature refutation. It's been theorized in multiple threads that the spacers have an impact on volume thus impacting tq numbers. Heck, there are already people that have made the decision to buy them solely for this reason.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM

It's been theorized in multiple threads that the spacers have an impact on volume thus impacting tq numbers. Heck, there are already people that have made the decision to buy them solely for this reason.
knight_yyz has been talking about doubling up on spacers for a long time. Not sure where he is on that idea these days.

Would it help you if I said I just finished praying for rain?
How's that working out for you, by the way?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah, that happens often. It's made me have to edit things in the past, too.

I'm not exactly sure what you want in the way of 'real test data.' Would you mind clarifying what you're seeking? Maybe you could just jot down a few equations to give us a basis for your temperature refutation. It's been theorized in multiple threads that the spacers have an impact on volume thus impacting tq numbers. Heck, there are already people that have made the decision to buy them solely for this reason.
What I mean by "real test data" is doing exactly what I am volunteering my time and cash(buying the gauge) to do. Gauge in the intake and logging temps before/after installs. That is all.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM

interesting thread here...

just some thought..not trying to put down NWP's product at all because Aaron is a great guy and theyt make great products..but..

has any one ever used some sort of thermal dispersant coating on their IM to see if there are gains from heat in our 3.5's?

I bring this up because I just got a ride in my buddies '11 STI which after he showed me what the car was capable of he poped the hood and the first thing i did was touch the red IM which had a weird coating on it but was shockingly cold to the touch..not sure if the intercooler or scoop has anyhting to do with it... but i was impressed.. .thoughts on thermal dispersants?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

My apologies for making a generalization and assumption based off your username. I didn't intend to come off arrogant or insulting.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM

Forgive me if this has been said. I know there are gains to be had by the spacers other then spacing the manifold off the block to keep it cool. But if that is one of its purposes wouldnt still using that bracket allow the heat trasfer for that area just as easy as before the spacers?

I wouldnt put it back on. I didnt and been that way since install.

Anyone that ever tried to remove the intake mani after using the spacers with rtv black will probably feel confident to not even use bolts lol.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep. My mechanic did some customization to get the bracket re-installed. A good mechanic can think outside the box and make things work.

You know, "Cool to the touch" is a pretty subjective measurement. Outside temperature has a huge impact on that. Bring your car up to temperature during the winter months, then pop the hood and give your IM some of that big-handed man-love. You'll be fine. Do the same thing in the Summer, and the result will be quite different.